HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What would you offer for Crosby?

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Mxpunk

vCash: 500
What would you offer for Crosby?

Spector is reporting that Bob Gainey is going to propose trades for the Pens' #1 pick....Although it's close to impossible that the Pens will give Crosby up, if you were DT, what serious offer would you make?

Old
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Nothing. It'd be too bloody expensive.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Spector is reporting that Bob Gainey is going to propose trades for the Pens' #1 pick....Although it's close to impossible that the Pens will give Crosby up, if you were DT, what serious offer would you make?
While it would have been nice to have won the lottery, at this point I think the Kings would be much better off waiting until Crosby is 25 and a UFA to try and sign him.

The Penguins would start off by asking for Frolov, Brown, and Gleason, plus this years first round pick, if not another prospect and more picks. I know Crosby is supposed to be the next Wayne Gretzky but he still hasn't played a game in the NHL. For once the Kings appear to be sticking to a plan that involves building through the draft and have a nice group of young players and prospects. Trading 3 or 4 highly regarded young players or prospects plus picks for 1 player is creating far too many holes to fill. Sure it's nice to think Crosby would have a huge impact on the LA market, cause them to sell out every game, sell more merchandise, etc. It very well could be true too that he would have that impact. The fact is, the Kings could do all of that without Crosby if they built a team that consistently made the playoffs, went deep in the playoffs often instead of losing in the 1st round, and won a Cup.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:15 PM
danaluvsthekings

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that while it doesn't hurt to ask, Pittsburgh wont be seriously considering offers for Crosby unless he pulls an Eric Lindros and refuses to play for the franchise. I personally think Bob Gainey is doing his fans a disservice by even admitting he's trying to acquire the Crosby pick because some fans will get their hopes up anyways, even though there's a less than a 0.0000000000001% chance Pittsburgh will trade him. Then he's going to have to deal with angry fans asking him "why didn't you pull off the trade for Crosby?" and making it sound like it's Gainey's fault that he's not a Hab, not the fact that he never had a chance to get him.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
While it would have been nice to have won the lottery, at this point I think the Kings would be much better off waiting until Crosby is 25 and a UFA to try and sign him.

The Penguins would start off by asking for Frolov, Brown, and Gleason, plus this years first round pick, if not another prospect and more picks. I know Crosby is supposed to be the next Wayne Gretzky but he still hasn't played a game in the NHL. For once the Kings appear to be sticking to a plan that involves building through the draft and have a nice group of young players and prospects. Trading 3 or 4 highly regarded young players or prospects plus picks for 1 player is creating far too many holes to fill. Sure it's nice to think Crosby would have a huge impact on the LA market, cause them to sell out every game, sell more merchandise, etc. It very well could be true too that he would have that impact. The fact is, the Kings could do all of that without Crosby if they built a team that consistently made the playoffs, went deep in the playoffs often instead of losing in the 1st round, and won a Cup.

Like your post! I agree with alot of what you said. Stick with our guys that we drafted. Our team is looking great for the future. Add a top notch goalie and keep all of our young forwards and we should be a top ten team in the NHL. We already have great young guys and it's only a matter of time before they blossum into legit NHL top six forwards.

The Staples Center doesn't really have a problem selling tickets to games actually. If you notice, we are I think top ten in attendence if I'm correct in the league. I just want to see a legit star to place a face on this team. Who knows, maybe Frolov is that guy in a few years.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:19 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that while it doesn't hurt to ask, Pittsburgh wont be seriously considering offers for Crosby unless he pulls an Eric Lindros and refuses to play for the franchise. I personally think Bob Gainey is doing his fans a disservice by even admitting he's trying to acquire the Crosby pick because some fans will get their hopes up anyways, even though there's a less than a 0.0000000000001% chance Pittsburgh will trade him. Then he's going to have to deal with angry fans asking him "why didn't you pull off the trade for Crosby?" and making it sound like it's Gainey's fault that he's not a Hab, not the fact that he never had a chance to get him.
Oh yeah, and your avatar scarys me, I don't know why, but if it was late at night and I saw that thing in the window, I'd definitly jump. I think it also has something to do with that commercial. Were that big head is in the back yard giving a wave slowly back and forth. Ah, anyways man........GO KINGS!

Old
07-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Capn Brown

Call me crazy, but.....

Cammalleri
Grebeshkov
Pushkarev
Hogeboom
1st round pick this year
1st round pick 2007
and Aaron Miller, just for laughs......

Old
07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
McSorley 33

For Crosby, Allison and Deadmarsh, take it or leave it....

Old
07-25-2005, 12:05 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
Call me crazy, but.....

Cammalleri
Grebeshkov
Pushkarev
Hogeboom
1st round pick this year
1st round pick 2007
That offer is disgusting. If DT made that offer for Crosby, I would be anti-management. They're throwing away so much of their future for one player who has yet to play a game in the NHL.

Likewise, if Pittsburgh took that offer, they would be nuts too. They'd give up a quality prospect for a quantity of prospects... and that's the LAST thing they need. If they wanted to manage their assets real smartly, they'd trade Malkin for an impact winger to play along with Crosby for a few years.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:09 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I'd rather offer something for Malkin.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Nothing. It'd be too bloody expensive.
Reaper knows what's up!

07-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Call me crazy, but.....

Cammalleri
Grebeshkov
Pushkarev
Hogeboom
1st round pick this year
1st round pick 2007

No Kings trade is complete without offering Eric Belanger

Old
07-25-2005, 01:12 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
For Crosby, Allison and Deadmarsh, take it or leave it....

I like this dont know if we should offer both though maybe we can take one out and add Miller

Old
07-25-2005, 01:39 AM
dafranchz

Stop! I'm having Gretzky flashbacks all over again.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:04 AM
willywonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
Stop! I'm having Gretzky flashbacks all over again.
Me too! Keep the young guys and build the team around them.

Old
07-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Reaper knows what's up!
Exacly. Now if we could get Malkin somehow....

Old
07-25-2005, 04:08 AM
BeerDog

if Malkin keeps the stick on the puck, I'm all for it!

Old
07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Matt13

To LA: Sidney Crosby

To Pitt: Eric Belanger and a new Arena.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
To LA: Sidney Crosby

To Pitt: Eric Belanger and a new Arena.
Deal!

Seriously, with an offer like the one listed below, the Pens will happily give us Crosby:
  • kj +
  • Reaper +
  • Jeff +
  • Lege +
  • FaceWash +
  • McSorley33
just to be sure, I'd throw in a couple AHL prospects too...
  • Reggie +
  • KB
Ah, I was forgetting...add EBell to the list!

Old
07-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
That offer is disgusting. If DT made that offer for Crosby, I would be anti-management. They're throwing away so much of their future for one player who has yet to play a game in the NHL.

Likewise, if Pittsburgh took that offer, they would be nuts too. They'd give up a quality prospect for a quantity of prospects... and that's the LAST thing they need. If they wanted to manage their assets real smartly, they'd trade Malkin for an impact winger to play along with Crosby for a few years.
Honestly? I don't think it's that bad. Is the offer a lot of good prospects? Definately! BUT......can you ever in your time as a King's fan honestly say that the Kings have had this quantity AND quality of prospects? I can't. Sure, it's a lot of good prospects to give up, BUT the Kings could do this and STILL RETAIN a significant amount of prospect depth.

If you subtract the ones I've listed and add in Crosby (and for sake of argument count Frolov as a "good young player" even though he's not a pospect), the following lines could still be created, consisting of a majority of players who most critics agree WILL play in the NHL one day:

Frolov / Crosby / Brown
Tambellini / Lehoux / Tukonen
Karlsson / Boyle / Kanko
Lukacevic / Steckel / Guerin

....or.....

Add Crosby to a hypothetical King's line-up for this season:

Luc(what better mentor?) / Crosby / Brown
Frolov / Conroy / Palffy*
Cowan / Avery / Klatt
Pirnes / Stumpel*/ Barney

*assumes silly signing rumor is true.

IF........and granted, it's a very big IF.........IF this kid IS the next Hawerchuck/Kovulchuck/Lemiex/Sakic, or whatever, then we'd have some very good lines indeed. And yes, "IF" the kid is what they say he is, then I can honestly say I won't miss Cam, Grebs, Push, or Hogeboom at all.

IF Crosby's worth the hype that surrounds him, then we'd become contenders. Grebs and Cam? Right now they're just pretenders. Granted, they're very good pretenders, especially at the AHL level, but it's the NHL that matters in the long run.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:26 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Honestly? I don't think it's that bad. Is the offer a lot of good prospects? Definately! BUT......can you ever in your time as a King's fan honestly say that the Kings have had this quantity AND quality of prospects? I can't. Sure, it's a lot of good prospects to give up, BUT the Kings could do this and STILL RETAIN a significant amount of prospect depth.

If you subtract the ones I've listed and add in Crosby (and for sake of argument count Frolov as a "good young player" even though he's not a pospect), the following lines could still be created, consisting of a majority of players who most critics agree WILL play in the NHL one day:

Frolov / Crosby / Brown
Tambellini / Lehoux / Tukonen
Karlsson / Boyle / Kanko
Lukacevic / Steckel / Guerin

....or.....

Add Crosby to a hypothetical King's line-up for this season:

Luc(what better mentor?) / Crosby / Brown
Frolov / Conroy / Palffy*
Cowan / Avery / Klatt
Pirnes / Stumpel*/ Barney

*assumes silly signing rumor is true.

IF........and granted, it's a very big IF.........IF this kid IS the next Hawerchuck/Kovulchuck/Lemiex/Sakic, or whatever, then we'd have some very good lines indeed. And yes, "IF" the kid is what they say he is, then I can honestly say I won't miss Cam, Grebs, Push, or Hogeboom at all.

IF Crosby's worth the hype that surrounds him, then we'd become contenders. Grebs and Cam? Right now they're just pretenders. Granted, they're very good pretenders, especially at the AHL level, but it's the NHL that matters in the long run.

Do you really think Pittsburgh is going to trade Crosby for a package based on Michael Cammalleri, who is a smallish center and needs to prove himself at the NHL level, and Denis Grebeshkov, who is probably at least another year away from the NHL? Craig Patrick is not a moron. Pittsburgh has received calls from people from 10 states and AUSTRALIA wanting to buy tickets. There's no way in hell Pittsburgh trades Crosby and if they were to consider an offer from LA, Frolov and Brown would definately be a part of it.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Do you really think Pittsburgh is going to trade Crosby for a package based on Michael Cammalleri, who is a smallish center and needs to prove himself at the NHL level, and Denis Grebeshkov, who is probably at least another year away from the NHL? Craig Patrick is not a moron. Pittsburgh has received calls from people from 10 states and AUSTRALIA wanting to buy tickets. There's no way in hell Pittsburgh trades Crosby and if they were to consider an offer from LA, Frolov and Brown would definately be a part of it.
I concur 100%

Old
07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
, Frolov and Brown would definately be a part of it.
Which again is why it's too bloody expensive.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:46 AM
dafranchz

How about a junbo bag of beef jerky and a diet coke?

Come on people...let it go.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
B-MEL

If I were Dave Taylor, I would call Craig Patrick and say...

"Did you like the way you were portrayed in Miracle? I would have told herb to shove that whistle!"

anyways back to what DT would offer.

Nothing, we did not win the lottery, no point in exploring a trade for it!

Closed Thread