HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brisebois vents out;Rivet next crowd target?

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Duster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
If you are inferring that from my post, I'd thank you to not put words in my mouth

Brisebois could have simply taken the high road and said nothing - certainly not that he's happy to leave the Canadiens.
Nope. Adding to your comment...unless there is more than one of you.

Ira furor brevis est. Let's move on.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Duster: 07-26-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Anthony P

I think Rivet is overpaid too.... I wouldn't mind no longer seeing him in the CH.... but why are you guys trying to turn this into a political situation? how man here really believe PB was really worth 3m? I think there wasn't much choice for Gainey given the amount of money he would make on his option.... it had nothing to do with politics....

Old
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I think the booing and all of that is part of what playing in Montreal is all about. It might make some free agents want to stay away, but at the same time, it might entice others to come here.

You see, as I'm sure most of you know, Montreal is a hockey city. We take the sport very seriously - it's more than just a game. So when a player does something that hurts our beloved Habs, he's gonna hear about it. Brisebois knew that, and even a superstar like Alex Kovalev found it out after the hand-slash incident in the playoffs.

But this goes both ways. The people here love hockey and the Canadiens, so perform well and help the club, and you'll be the biggest hero in the city. Hockey is at the forefront in Montreal and that may put a lot of pressure on players, but I guess if you can't take the heat, you should stay out of the kitchen.
Very good point. I also think it shows what Kovy is made of when his agent admits that Montreal is one of his preferred destinations as a UFA. He realized pretty quickly that this is a passionate town, but he's still willing to come back? Well; he heard the cheers the next game at the forum when he was the dominant player on the ice, he figured out pretty quickly how serious Montreal and its fans is about winning.

Brisebois put up with a lot of booing i admit, but it was while he was illegitamitely earning $4 mill9on per season, and following a dedcade of mediocre play.

His first year in the league, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was a pencil necked geek. Six years into his NHL career, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was still a pencil necked geek. Nine years into his NHL career, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was a pencil necked geek.

Where the hell was his commitment? I saw Joe Sakics and Steve Yzermans go from 165-pound juniors to 200-pound NHL superstars, and neither of them were 6-2. Did Breezy figure he was "above them"? Hard to put on weight cycling in France or whatever the hel he does I suppose. Good riddance whiner.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:35 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Very good point. I also think it shows what Kovy is made of when his agent admits that Montreal is one of his preferred destinations as a UFA. He realized pretty quickly that this is a passionate town, but he's still willing to come back? Well; he heard the cheers the next game at the forum when he was the dominant player on the ice, he figured out pretty quickly how serious Montreal and its fans is about winning.
Funny thing about Kovalev is that it was his own teammate who publicly put him down after that mishap. When Souray opened his big yap about that, I was just stunned. "DU-UUDE!!" Fortunately the team bounced back after that the best way it could - by winning the series.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:59 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I am glad to see his contract go, but not so glad to see him go. Most people hate him for the dumbest reasons, and well I don't think it will ever end. He makes a mistake and we hate him even when he was out best defensive player. When he is the best, he still is a horrible player yet we say Markov is better then him defensively, and blah blah blah, ignoring when Markov cough up the puck, or when Souray makes a mistake, or god forbid Komisarek makes a mistake, oh hes young.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Brisebois put up with a lot of booing i admit, but it was while he was [bold]illegitamitely earning $4 mill9on per season[\bold], and following a dedcade of mediocre play.

His first year in the league, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was a pencil necked geek. Six years into his NHL career, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was still a pencil necked geek. Nine years into his NHL career, it was quite noticeable that he needed to hit the weights, he was a pencil necked geek.

Where the hell was his commitment? I saw Joe Sakics and Steve Yzermans go from 165-pound juniors to 200-pound NHL superstars, and neither of them were 6-2. Did Breezy figure he was "above them"? Hard to put on weight cycling in France or whatever the hel he does I suppose. Good riddance whiner.

I find this a lame and stupid comment. I think that Brisebois is a good hockey player when he plays within his bounds and this is what he did last year. If I would knock on your door and offer you 2.9M (lets say he is worth 2M) will you say no...?

I think that Brisebois was a victim of poor management and poor drafting for a decade. Certainly not to blame for a decade of poor results as a hab. Saku Koivu is in the same boat and people are starting to put him as a trade bait for a draft pick! These guys have played for this team for quite a while and gave there best shot with no supporting cast. On Brisebois defence he was ask to do the job of clear cut no.1 defencement, he was payed to be a No.1 but everyone knew he was no No.1 in terms of capacity. If anyone is to be booed i should be Savard for offering him so much money!

Old
07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Nope. Adding to your comment...unless there is more than one of you.

Ira furor brevis est. Let's move on.

Edit: typo
Oh, my bad.

Carry on.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Joe Cole

Brisebois was a victim of an incredibly badly run team. He played through the last "I'm too busy to care" years of Serge Savard, through the"coaching" of Tremblay, though the delpeted line up of the Houle years, and the rebuilding of the AS years.

Let's not fool ourselves, the Habs were not a well run team. They positioned and payed PB as a #1, because he was on the roster already. Managment was too handcuffed, inexperienced or stupid to draft/trade/sign a legitimate #1 D. At best he was a 2nd pair D, all through his career.

Did he make bone head plays, seem stupid/cocky in the media, paid at the level of a #1 D, be to public about his off-ice affairs? No one with eyes or a brain could say otherwise.

But when you look at a situation, you have to try to factor in as much as you can. Not just on element, such as his turnovers or lack of a physical game. But man... those were hard to miss!

Old
07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
It is no wonder why the Hab faithful have to target every single free agent as a signing possibility, since so few of those free agents are willing to target Montreal as a possible destination. For every Beliveau, there are a hundred Rodney Dangerfields who have gotten/get no respect, no respect at all. Yikes, talk about a tough crowd.

With an entire year of NHL gone, I came to realize what a comforting part of my life it was. Not important in any real, meaningful way, but still a comforting escape. I'm glad it's back so that I will have some enjoyable games to watch on TV and not pretend to like my wife's company (yes, I love in my own cynical way), so I for one won't be booing anyone in a Habs uniform this year. These spiteful mudslingers and boobirds can all go to hell. If we can only get those jerks out of the picture for a year.

EDIT: Brisebois, I don't really want you back, but good luck to you wherever you go. You played your entire professional career to date with one team and won a Stanley Cup along the way. That's something to be proud of, and it's something for us fans to appreciate.

EDITx2: I meant Brisebois the player, not Brisebois the poster. The poster I want. The player - eh, not so much.
My sentiments exactly. Are we brothers ? Are you adopted ? Am I ? Do you have a huge melon head and legs like fire hydrants [only shorter ] ? Yeah, fans have the right to boo and draw attn. to themselves every time a player touches the puck, just like I have the right to think they're petulant children.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Pats Habs

Let's just leave it at the fact that Breeze and the Habs are both better off with this separation.

Patrice can join a team where he won't be in the public eye and the Habs can go after a gifted defenceman (maybe Rafalski or Foote?)

Brisebois would fit best in a Carolina uniform. Might make for a good headline as "Breeze Turns into Hurricane!"

Old
07-27-2005, 10:16 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
IIRC, Brisebois refused because he did not wanted to restructure his contract, not because he did not want to play in NJ.

Which says a lot about a player's desire to really win the cup.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Let's just leave it at the fact that Breeze and the Habs are both better off with this separation.

Patrice can join a team where he won't be in the public eye and the Habs can go after a gifted defenceman (maybe Rafalski or Foote?)

Brisebois would fit best in a Carolina uniform. Might make for a good headline as "Breeze Turns into Hurricane!"
Good one!

Old
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Breezy was regularly asked to play an overly-offensive style back in the day. All that stuff about him pinching too much, that wasn't his decision, he was asked to do it.

Nobody deserves to be treated the way the fans treated him.

WHaaaaaat??? NOT A SINGLE COACH IN MONTREAL asked a defenceman to pinch at all times!!! In fact, it was the contrary. Since Jacques Lemaire has passes thru this organisation, no defenceman is asked to pitch regularly.

He's asked to pinch when the situation commands it. Pick your moments, as they say. Brisebois never picked his moment, because he was too dumb to do so...

Claude Julien understood that, so he asked Brisebois to play it KISS.

Last edited by deandebean: 07-27-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
deandebean

Brisebois' reaction is not surprising. I thought that he had matured since the last France episode, but he hasn't.

Maturity. That's what has lacked in his case. He hasn't matured enough to be a solid 1st line defenceman, like he was touted to be.

Although I agree with some posters here who believe that he had been put in a very difficult situation by management over the years. The question is: why? Was he offered the big contract and handed the big responsibility by AS because AS was stupid, or was it because AS wanted Brisebois to mature? Maybe, just maybe AS thought that giving him the responsibilities would bring Brisebois' game to another level...

He made a bad judgment error in that case.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
BORAT

I guess that the whole Brisebois thing is really SAVARD's fault, I mean if Savard hadn'T given the guy 4 million dollars, maybe we wouldnT' call him OvErPaYeD, maybe we would be saying.. well Brisebois is a bit braindead , but at 1.8 million thats pretty much what you get...

camman 4 million for Brisebois....

what did Savard smoke that day...

No offense but Eric Weinrich is much more of a quality defenseman than Brisebois... I mean Brisebois is basically a poor man's Adrian Aucoin...

And for me Craig Rivet is a poor man's Eric Weinrich or in the words of my good friend Water bottle Ted, A Verbal Dykhuis

Once again, Lets get things going !

Old
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Kafka

Rivet may not be booed after all.... Brisebois, four years ago (when the booes started), was attempting plays that were risky. While he failed a few time, he succeded the other ones.

I don't see how a puck pusher like Rivet will create options on the ice. He may have difficulty swithcing is skating from forward to backward, but the crowd may not notice it and he may succesfully take Quintal spot as the 6th d-man on the roster.

Still, people will have in mind that this no.6 d-man will cost more money than he really worth it.

-------

Honestly, if Komisarek shows he is now ready for top 4 duties, I don't see how Rivet could be in the lineup in 06-07.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick
Good one!
Or maybe he could go to Chicago, and when he stinks up the joint with a few errant passes the headlines could read:
"Breeze Blows in Windy City!"

Old
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Kafka

If paired to a legitimate 1st d-man, I expect Brisebois to have an incredible season. Without having a crowd and journalists on his shoulders, I expect him to do a great job elsewere.

I just hope that at that time, you will admit you were wrong.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
If paired to a legitimate 1st d-man, I expect Brisebois to have an incredible season. Without having a crowd and journalists on his shoulders, I expect him to do a great job elsewere.

I will, but I can't see him doing incredibly well, as you put it, on a 1st pairing. He can manage on a 2nd pairing.

Face it; the guy's hit the ceiling a long time ago, at 34. He can't get any better. He'll make the same dumb mistakes he made elsewhere.

If Hhe, suddenly, gets incredibly good at 34, while he was a very ordinary defenceman for 14 seasons, we should be ALL asking some questions...

Old
07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
My sentiments exactly. Are we brothers ? Are you adopted ? Am I ? Do you have a huge melon head and legs like fire hydrants [only shorter ] ? Yeah, fans have the right to boo and draw attn. to themselves every time a player touches the puck, just like I have the right to think they're petulant children.
Adopted? That might explain some things. My parents are being awfully secretive about it, but having lived my whole life with 3 older sisters, I would welcome a brother to commiserate with. I don't care to get into depth about my embarrassing anatomical parts right now, but I have always thought that my head is disproportionately bigger.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I think the booing and all of that is part of what playing in Montreal is all about. It might make some free agents want to stay away, but at the same time, it might entice others to come here.

You see, as I'm sure most of you know, Montreal is a hockey city. We take the sport very seriously - it's more than just a game. So when a player does something that hurts our beloved Habs, he's gonna hear about it. Brisebois knew that, and even a superstar like Alex Kovalev found it out after the hand-slash incident in the playoffs.

But this goes both ways. The people here love hockey and the Canadiens, so perform well and help the club, and you'll be the biggest hero in the city. Hockey is at the forefront in Montreal and that may put a lot of pressure on players, but I guess if you can't take the heat, you should stay out of the kitchen.
Well said my man

Old
07-27-2005, 11:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Adopted? That might explain some things. My parents are being awfully secretive about it, but having lived my whole life with 3 older sisters, I would welcome a brother to commiserate with. I don't care to get into depth about my embarrassing anatomical parts right now, but I have always thought that my head is disproportionately bigger.
mcphee goes next door. 'Daddy, you got some shplaining to do'

Old
07-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka

I agree, though I think he'll be definitely in a 2nd pairing. I was a huge fan of his. But since the Eurotrip, I just thought the best thing would be for him to move along - best for him and the Habs. I wish him well wherever he ends up, all kidding aside!

Closed Thread