HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

russia economic crisis - will it affect KHL?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
"Peaceful protesters" in Kiev demanding "freedom and democracy":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4yHiUKdVWeo
This was the day after the crackdown on peaceful protesters. It stopped being entirely peaceful the second the troops decided to change the game. I don't think anyone would pretend the Dec 1 riots were peaceful.

why is freedom and democracy in scare quotes?

Old
12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
For Ukraine the future will be even more bleak if it signs this agreement. Ukraine's heavy industry will be completely annihilated. So will their aerospace industry. Who is going to buy their plane parts after Russia stops buying them? Certainly not EU. These companies will go bankrupt.
So Russia's going to stop purchasing out of spite? Sounds like a great trading partner, lots of longevity there

Quote:
I studied how Croatia's economy has developed since it signed the association agreement with the EU in 2005.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm...pcode=tec00115

According to this Croatia's economy is now slightly smaller than it was in 2005 when it signed the association agreement with the EU. The association agreement with the EU has brought zero growth to Croatia's economy. Croatia is a small neighbor for wealthy countries such as Austria and Italy, which should drive up the Croatian economy. But instead of economic growth Croatia has experienced almost a decade of stagnation.
Croatia is doing better than Serbia

Looking at those numbers, and factoring the 2008 global economic crisis, their growth rate seems to be lock step in with Italy. A country doing bad...but it's not like they're doing much worse than their neighbors (rather than doing bad with wealthy neighbors)

What is troubling is that they have the lowest projected growth in 2015, Romania is 2x ahead of them...but seeing as Romania is the same as the UK, that's a good, no?

Last edited by Sokil: 12-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old
12-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
So Russia's going to stop purchasing out of spite? Sounds like a great trading partner, lots of longevity there
You are naive if you think that Ukraine can keep it's current position in trade with Russia if Ukraine joins EU or even signs the association agreement. There is a price to pay for Ukraine for this decision. Russia has made it clear.

Why should Russia continue to subsidize Ukraine's economy if Ukraine wants to be in the EU?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You are naive if you think that Ukraine can keep it's current position in trade with Russia if Ukraine joins EU or even signs the association agreement. There is a price to pay for Ukraine for this decision. Russia has made it clear.

Why should Russia continue to subsidize Ukraine's economy if Ukraine wants to be in the EU?
Well ofcourse,russia needs puppet states and if god forbid one of those puppet states is disobidient,Russia cant support that,now can it?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
The default meaning of the word "Russian" in the English language is actually closer to Russian "Rossiyanin", it's a deriviative of Russia (Rossiya). It may be used synonymously with "Russky" (a derivative of Rus') in many cases, and that's how it works for the Russian language too, but when it's used in the sense "ethnic Russian" using "ethnic Russian" is more preferable, I think. A lot of Russians who aren't good at English often don't even realize that and end up making awkward statements similar to Yakupov's "I'm Muslim, I'm not Russian".
I specifically mentioned that I am not russian ethnically.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
kp61c

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
I specifically mentioned that I am not russian ethnically.
muslim?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Well ofcourse,russia needs puppet states and if god forbid one of those puppet states is disobidient,Russia cant support that,now can it?
Puppet state is not how the relationship between Ukraine and Russia should be described. Partnership is a better word.

Do you know what puppet state means? Let me clarify. The USA invades Iraq, commits a brutal genocide against Iraqi people, takes control of it's oil and installs a puppet government to Iraq. The relationship between Iraq and USA is a relationship between a vassal/puppet state and a master state.

The situation is not like this with Russia and Ukraine. Russia has not invaded Ukraine. Russia has not forced it's will upon Ukraine.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
This was the day after the crackdown on peaceful protesters. It stopped being entirely peaceful the second the troops decided to change the game. I don't think anyone would pretend the Dec 1 riots were peaceful.

Because he's a Russophile that wants Ukraine to rejoin Russia.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
kp61c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Because he's a Russophile that wants Ukraine to rejoin Russia.
only with finland

Old
12-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Because these things should be decided by elections, but by street mobs.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Puppet state is not how the relationship between Ukraine and Russia should be described. Partnership is a better word.

Do you know what puppet state means? Let me clarify. The USA invades Iraq, commits a brutal genocide against Iraqi people, takes control of it's oil and installs a puppet government to Iraq. The relationship between Iraq and USA is a relationship between a vassal/puppet state and a master state.

The situation is not like this with Russia and Ukraine. Russia has not invaded Ukraine. Russia has not forced it's will upon Ukraine.
Yes it is,Ukraine has been bending over backwards for russians and their gas/oil,their President is a complete russian puppet
And what exactly has this to do with US?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:

Well that took longer than expected... All this thread needs is the "rogue state" and it's just like in Jatkoaika with you...

Old
12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Sucro
Rhymesayers Fanboy

I believe that Russia will not care that much about Ukraine as it used to after building the South Stream (and with Black Sea Fleet deal done). Joining EU was a trump of the opposition, but what are they going to do after it and with Russia not trying to affect Ukraine's interior policy? I think some new neutral powers are to come, otherwise nobody will be able to keep the leadership any properly.
Anyways, the discussion is far not about the proposed "Russian economic crisis"

Old
12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
only with finland
No, he's actually said it himself on Finnish message boards. He longs for the Soviet Union days.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:29 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
No, he's actually said it himself on Finnish message boards. He longs for the Soviet Union days.
Oh boy would he`d be in for a treat,empty market shelves,major poverty,KGB watching over every step of the way and ofcourse everyone wearing the same clothes,because USSR couldnt afford to produce more than one type of lets say shoes for example.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:29 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Quote:

That's how you treat your "partners". Don't you dare to make new partners!

Old
12-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Yes it is,Ukraine has been bending over backwards for russians and their gas/oil,their President is a complete russian puppet
You are once again confusing things. Economic policy making is not the same as a military invasion.

Russia is an independent state and it has a right to decide how to run it's economic policy.

Currently Ukraine gets Russian gas with subsidized price. That means Ukrainians have to pay less for Russian gas than Germans. Such an intimidation and blackmail!

Old
12-02-2013, 11:32 AM
kp61c

Quote:
excuse me, he's a puppet because of the putin's gas contracts with timoshenko?
Quote:
sometimes you have to just let it go, but the guy is unique i grant him that

Old
12-02-2013, 11:34 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
excuse me, he's a puppet because of the putin's gas contracts with timoshenko?
No because he was obviously blackmailed not to join the EU something along the lines of : "if you join the EU,gas will be cut off".
Thats NOT,how two democratic countries function and make economic deals with eachother.
A proper president would have joined the EU,no matter what.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
That's how you treat your "partners". Don't you dare to make new partners!
How does Russia treat Ukraine?

Sells gas to Ukraine with a subsidized price. Buys Ukrainian products that no one else would buy.

Russia is by far the most important partner (yes, partner) for Ukraine.

But if Ukraine is joins a union which is hostile to Russia (yes, EU is hostile towards Russia) then it will change the way Russia views Ukraine.

For Russia's benefit it has to be said that it does not practice military interventions against small, weak countries the same way as western "democracies" do.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
kp61c

Quote:
No because he was obviously blackmailed not to join the EU something along the lines of : "if you join the EU,gas will be cut off".
Thats NOT,how two democratic countries function and make economic deals with eachother.
A proper president would have joined the EU,no matter what.
it doesnt make him putin's puppet. ultimatly it's his decision no matter what. heaping on russia the blame for all your failures needs to stop.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Peter25

Quote:
What is your alternative then?

Conduct a bombing campaign and a military intervention which results a "regime change"? I mean that is how "western democracies" treat governments that they don't like.

Would it be good if Russia also became a "western democracy" in this sense?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Don't lie.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Sucro
Rhymesayers Fanboy

Quote:
There is no way for the West to like any strong Russia no matter be it democratic, capitalist or communist.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
What is your alternative then?

Conduct a bombing campaign and a military intervention which results a "regime change"? I mean that is how "western democracies" treat governments that they don't like.

Join EU,join NATO set up proper capitalistic society,slowly but surely getting rid corruption and easing into the western world.
Regime change has to happen,but its not up to me or you or anybody else,but the Ukrainian people.

Closed Thread