HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Talk/Speculation/News), Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...urce=pulsenews

Quote:
Perhaps general manager Lou Lamoriello needs to obtain some offense via a trade.

“I don’t know,” Elias said, “but it sure would help to create more scoring. Obviously it’s on us that are here right now.”
Elias dropping a hint to Lou?

Old
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Hes like jesus ****ing christ im 38 years old and me and a 41 year old are carrying this offense

Old
12-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Is Chere trying to stir the pot again?

I really wonder how that question was put to Patty. Did he really say ''Perhaps Lou should acquire someone through a trade?''

All I know is that was the second time in a week that a player on the team made a comment like that about the scoring. Last week it was Marty saying that they're kind of used to not scoring at this point.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Lou's hands are tied it's too early in the season to trade for a impact forward.

He could go get another 2nd/3rd line tweener but we have plenty of those.

Not having the 1st round pick doesn't help either.

A guy like Boyes,Matthias,Fleischman etc etc are realistic options...not overly appealing.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Lou's hands are tied it's too early in the season to trade for a impact forward.

He could go get another 2nd/3rd line tweener but we have plenty of those.

Not having the 1st round pick doesn't help either.

A guy like Boyes,Matthias,Fleischman etc etc are realistic options...not overly appealing.
It's also hard to tell if those guys will be non factors here, the way Ryder has for about a month, and Brunner for well over a month now.

I think we'll see an Albany call up pretty soon before anything happens. Whitney or possibly Boucher. I'm not for calling up Boucher at all this year, but it is possible with the way Merrill was brought in.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I know we are close to the 8th seed and have had a lot of injuries but it is clear has day that we need an offensive jump.

We can't really afford to wait to the deadline to make any trades, I think we need to do it now so that they can find chemistry quickly and hopefully the team puts together a strong 2nd half of the year.

Erat and Tlusty are apparently on the block, we should be really interested in acquiring them now.

I would offer Brunner for Tlusty.

Tedenby + Josefson for Erat.

Or vice versa.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I know we are close to the 8th seed and have had a lot of injuries but it is clear has day that we need an offensive jump.

We can't really afford to wait to the deadline to make any trades, I think we need to do it now so that they can find chemistry quickly and hopefully the team puts together a strong 2nd half of the year.

Erat and Tlusty are apparently on the block, we should be really interested in acquiring them now.

I would offer Brunner for Tlusty.

Tedenby + Josefson for Erat.

Or vice versa.
Yikes no thanks.

Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic won't help the offense. What they need is dynamic talent. Parise/Kovy type talent. Not more Brunners and Ryders. Of course you don't just go out and pick up that kind of player from waivers. They need to hold on to the few forward prospects they have and just draft really well for the next few years. There really are no trades available that will make this team a real contender.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ryder or Brunner for Erat
Or Fayne if they're looking for D

All of the Czechs! - Erat did well in Nashville maybe Washington isn't working.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
Ryder or Brunner for Erat
Or Fayne if they're looking for D

All of the Czechs! - Erat did well in Nashville maybe Washington isn't working.
Get Havlat from San Jose too

IN: Czechs - Erat and Havlat
OUT: Swedes - Josefson and Tedenby

If only

Old
12-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Havlat blows at this point. Have you seen him this year with San Jose? He looks like he's done.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
devsfan4life

We need a game changer, that's for sure. Imagine if we had someone like Bobby Ryan? The merc would make our offense better, it's sad but true

Hopefully we can see what we have in Clowe soon. He probably won't come storming out of the gate or anything.. But we need a new face or two on offense to replace the Sestito's, Janssen's and Gionta's)

There are many many upgrades over them.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Semak

vCash:
Putting aside them his system and do they have the right players argument aside for a moment, I just don't think generally PDB is a good offensive coach. Putting the first season aside, which was ok offensively due more to the talent available, too many goal drought stretches, too many slumping players last season and on to this season. He doesn't seem to know how to coach players how to get out of slumps, how to work on technique, nor do the current assistants for that matter. Subsequently, not very good at coaching up young forwards.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan4life View Post
We need a game changer, that's for sure. Imagine if we had someone like Bobby Ryan? The merc would make our offense better, it's sad but true
Remember if we had Kovalchuk, we wouldn't have Jagr. This same lineup with Kovalchuk but no Jagr would probably be the same.

Unless we got the 11-12 Kovalchuk. The 2013 Kovalchuk was on pace for an identical amount of points at the current Jagr is. It could very well have been that Kovalchuk played with little to no heart last year. And that he is still much better than he was for us last year.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Putting aside them his system and do they have the right players argument aside for a moment, I just don't think generally PDB is a good offensive coach. Putting the first season aside, which was ok offensively due more to the talent available, too many goal drought stretches, too many slumping players last season and on to this season. He doesn't seem to know how to coach players how to get out of slumps, how to work on technique, nor do the current assistants for that matter. Subsequently, not very good at coaching up young forwards.
I think I'm one of the biggest PDB critics on here. I really would like to point fingers at guys like Ryder and Brunner for not pulling their weight. I have been pointing fingers at them.

There's just been a lot of people lately who have said they think this system/coach has been a problem for some of these players. I really can't disagree. Why did Brunner look like a superstar the first few games, now he looks like a bum? Why did Ryder suck for the entire month of November? I think it's fair to look at it from all angles. Like you said, there's a lot of goal droughts/slumping players.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
devsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Remember if we had Kovalchuk, we wouldn't have Jagr. This same lineup with Kovalchuk but no Jagr would probably be the same.

Unless we got the 11-12 Kovalchuk. The 2013 Kovalchuk was on pace for an identical amount of points at the current Jagr is. It could very well have been that Kovalchuk played with little to no heart last year. And that he is still much better than he was for us last year.
You're right. I saw a replay somewhere of the last game of the season against the Rangers and he was floating horribly. Just watching the rangers score. Clearly didn't care at that point. If he didn't want to be here I would rather have Jags that actually wants to play and do well.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan4life View Post
You're right. I saw a replay somewhere of the last game of the season against the Rangers and he was floating horribly. Just watching the rangers score. Clearly didn't care at that point. If he didn't want to be here I would rather have Jags that actually wants to play and do well, while having fun.

By seeing that, and looking back.. Kovy wasn't having fun anymore.
I'm not sure what to think anymore about how he was last year. On one hand he was playing with crappy players, and still had the best PPG on the team I believe. On the other hand he just didn't look like an elite player that could carry a team.

And he had many goal droughts last year as well. There's that goal drought thing again that Semak was just talking about. There's been a lot of that going on since the 12-13 season.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think I'm one of the biggest PDB critics on here. I really would like to point fingers at guys like Ryder and Brunner for not pulling their weight. I have been pointing fingers at them.

There's just been a lot of people lately who have said they think this system/coach has been a problem for some of these players. I really can't disagree. Why did Brunner look like a superstar the first few games, now he looks like a bum? Why did Ryder suck for the entire month of November? I think it's fair to look at it from all angles. Like you said, there's a lot of goal droughts/slumping players.
Exactly. It's easy to blame the players for not scoring. Brunner being only in his second season in the NHL is still unproven so he could possibly not be a consistent NHL scorer. But put him aside, it's just too many players all of sudden can't score at all. Zilch, nada, bupkis. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Old
12-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Exactly. It's easy to blame the players for not scoring. Brunner being only in his second season in the NHL is still unproven so he could possibly not be a consistent NHL scorer. But put him aside, it's just too many players all of sudden can't score at all. Zilch, nada, bupkis. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
I think Loktionov has really regressed. Like Brunner, is also unproven and doesn't have a lot to go by. So maybe he's not a consistent scorer either. Maybe he was playing over his head last year. I rarely ever see him use that shot anymore. I thought he had a nice snipe last season. This year he's scored just one with it. And the other was on a rebound.

This incompetent 4th line really isn't helping either. Wish we could go back to a more skilled 4th line, but we can't even get good production out of the 3rd line.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Semak

vCash:
Lokti, Teddy, JJ, Brunner, all look lost. Not a coincidence me thinks. Which is probably why PDB is more comfortable playing the grinder, no natural O talent types. He's killing JJ after a very nice pre-season.

Get PDB out and bring in a guy who can actually teach before they trade the only semblance of forward prospects they have. Because right now, they are basically un-tradable or getting you little to no return anyway.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:42 PM
njdevil26

You know who would be PERFECT coaching this group? Brent Sutter.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:42 PM
kiwidevil

I think it is ludicrous to think that a change of coach is magically going to make these plumbers start scoring. Whilst keeping the goals against where they are.

You have players like Josefson, Bernier, Carter, Loktionov, Gionta who score rarely or never.
You have Brunner, Zajac, Henrique, Ryder, Zubrus who will put up some points if put in the right line situation.
You have Jagr and Elias who seem to accumulate, but Jagr is the only one who can dominate most shifts and Elias can be notorious for failing to score on A+ looks.

If we got Babcock in here, do you honestly think we would score 2 more goals a game?
(whom by the way, most Red Wings fans hate, because . . . . he plays his vets over his skilled young guys too much. Funny that)

Old
12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

I dont' really think there is much of an excuse for the middle lines to be this ineffective. These guys all have the talent to contribute but they are all floating space junk.

Even a top flight new forward wouldn't fix this because we would STILL have zero secondary scoring.

These guys, Ryder, Brunner, Henrique, Loki, Clowe (when he returns) and even Elias need to step up because the only guys playing good hockey right now are Zubs, Zajac and Jagr.

Well them and the blue line.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
You know who would be PERFECT coaching this group? Brent Sutter.
Not with all the Eastern Europeans around, he never got along with Elias/Zubrus and was accused by some (Dom Hasek) of being ethnocentric.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Semak

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I think it is ludicrous to think that a change of coach is magically going to make these plumbers start scoring. Whilst keeping the goals against where they are.

You have players like Josefson, Bernier, Carter, Loktionov, Gionta who score rarely or never.
You have Brunner, Zajac, Henrique, Ryder, Zubrus who will put up some points if put in the right line situation.
You have Jagr and Elias who seem to accumulate, but Jagr is the only one who can dominate most shifts and Elias can be notorious for failing to score on A+ looks.

If we got Babcock in here, do you honestly think we would score 2 more goals a game?
(whom by the way, most Red Wings fans hate, because . . . . he plays his vets over his skilled young guys too much. Funny that)
I'm throwing the idea out there that its possibly not all on the players. This team has been slumping offensively for two seasons now. And young players who have shown potential in the past all of sudden can't buy playing time and look totally lost in the two minutes they get to play. Never been a Teddy fan but even I have to admit that under JL he and JJ looked like they had the talent to contribute.

This team even if it sneaks in to the POs, is not a contender as is. So what's left? Play vets for mediocrity? Or start developing your young players for the future? I rather have the latter and it's not happening. Playing 4-5 minutes a night and wrecking their confidence is not development.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Tallinder

Sutter would play an identical system to what we have right now. The one thing I did appreciate about him was when he made the team ride the bikes. He also didn't make excuses for his favorite players like Sutter does. Pete just isn't a good coach IMO. If he fails here, that's it as far as head coaching in the NHL goes. His resume is garbage.

Closed Thread