HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Talk/Speculation/News), Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2013, 12:35 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 500
Can Henrique run suicides too.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:38 PM
chessarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
When you look like a pee-wee player in your own zone while giving zero effort to actually prevent the guy that's at arm reach of shooting towards our net... it's not about chemistry, it's about not being able to give a legit effort and that can't happen.

Brunner needs to learn one thing... Putting on the brakes and starting again is a common thing at the NHL level. Maybe not in Europe but in NA, it's something that should happen almost once every shift.

I would make this guy run "suicides" until he pukes on the ice. That might get the message threw and if it doesn't, I'd make him do it until he looks like Kate Moss.
Solid points - but we shouldn't give up on the player yet. He deserves to be given a chance to turn it around, and I believe he will if he is utilized correctly. Pete needs to put him with linemates that compliment his game.

We'll see what happens, but I think Brunner is going to break out soon and all of this talk about him being a terrible player will look slightly foolish.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
RNCDevil

Jagr, Schneider, Gelly and Larssson sort of make this season ok for me.

I'm getting to watch a master of his craft, a Vezina candidate, and two elite (hopefully) d-men blossom. It's been a frustrating season, but shift to shift, I am settling on watching these gentlemen.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Teddy von Josefson

Any1 with lineups for tonights game?

edit; Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr; Henrique-Elias-Brunner; Carter-Loktionov-Bernier; Tedenby-Josefson-Ryder.

nvm

Old
11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I thought he got outmuscled way too much for a guy his size behind the net.

On Ruutu's goal, I think it was Staal completely manhandled him. I guess something like that grows with time, but thinking that he is a pretty big kid, and is older since he went to college, I guess I was looking for a little more strength and aggressiveness.
You're surprised that a 6'5, 210 pound super star center outmuscled a 21 year old in his 2nd career NHL game?

Merrill was confident with the puck on his stick and played pretty sound D. His -2 is misleading. I don't think he is really to blame on either goal. He's not ready for a full time role yet, but I personally liked what I saw this past game.

The kid is going to be a great player in this league.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:57 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dritzkilla View Post
Any1 with lineups for tonights game?
Zubrus - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - Elias - Brunner
Carter - Loktionov - Bernier
Tedenby - Josefson - Ryder

Gelinas - Zidlicky
Greene - Fayne
Merrill - Volchenkov

Schneider

Old
11-29-2013, 12:58 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Tedenby-Josefson-Ryder is the fourth line hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Why is that funny?

Old
11-29-2013, 01:08 PM
StvBroDan
vPLAY WITH HEARTv

Gdt ????????

Old
11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
Gdt ????????
We don't need one. Schneider is playing so 2-0 loss. Book it. Why bother discussing it?

Old
11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You're surprised that a 6'5, 210 pound super star center outmuscled a 21 year old in his 2nd career NHL game?

Merrill was confident with the puck on his stick and played pretty sound D. His -2 is misleading. I don't think he is really to blame on either goal. He's not ready for a full time role yet, but I personally liked what I saw this past game.

The kid is going to be a great player in this league.
That was one instance that obviously stood out, but I just feel like he's not using his size enough, but then again, that is something he will learn as he continues to play in the AHL and NHL.

Old
11-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Lateralous

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
We don't need one. Schneider is playing so 2-0 loss. Book it. Why bother discussing it?
Empty netter or 2 on Cory?

Old
11-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Wingman77

Schneider explains his "frustrations" and talks with PDB

Good to see they spoke because being frustrated and not doing anything to change that would not have been the best avenue

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...t_in_carolina/

Old
11-29-2013, 04:33 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Cory did the adult thing. A couple of days later than we all would have hoped but I'm glad he did.

Look Lou does need to find a coach Cory likes because he will be our franchise guy. But Cory has got to communicate better too.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:35 PM
SeidoN
#HFOutcasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Cory did the adult thing. A couple of days later than we all would have hoped but I'm glad he did.

Look Lou does need to find a coach Cory likes because he will be our franchise guy. But Cory has got to communicate better too.
Lou should bend over backwards to lay the red carpet for Cory or we are royally boned in 2015

Old
11-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

He didn't need be to an "adult."

He expressed his feelings and said absolutely nothing wrong. Deboer admitted in the article he has no clue what he's doing.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:40 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

@Kaoss - I'm stating to come around to that idea. As long as Cory wants to be here though.

@Fayne Stayley - you don't so what he did publicly even if he is right. There's a forum to do that. Even though we all know Pete is a moron.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
He didn't need be to an "adult."

He expressed his feelings and said absolutely nothing wrong. Deboer admitted in the article he has no clue what he's doing.
Maybe he's afraid to stand up to Marty? Ever since Marty expressed displeasure with being pulled that time, Pete hasn't given him the hook since. The closest thing would be him giving Cory 3 starts in a row after Marty's disastrous start to the season.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
@Kaoss - I'm stating to come around to that idea. As long as Cory wants to be here though.

@Fayne Stayley - you don't so what he did publicly even if he is right. There's a forum to do that. Even though we all know Pete is a moron.
He was asked a question and he answered it. Brodeur does it all the time but it's in a passive aggressive manner. He did nothing wrong. I'd rather he be honest than say "no comment" and ***** foot around the issue like the Parises and Kovalchuks and all the other ******** artists this team has had the great fortune of having. I now know he's not happy and something should be done to make him feel better about the team. We'll see. But if Deboer and company bungle this badly...that's another lost pick.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:46 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
When you look like a pee-wee player in your own zone while giving zero effort to actually prevent the guy that's at arm reach of shooting towards our net... it's not about chemistry, it's about not being able to give a legit effort and that can't happen.

Brunner needs to learn one thing... Putting on the brakes and starting again is a common thing at the NHL level. Maybe not in Europe but in NA, it's something that should happen almost once every shift.

I would make this guy run "suicides" until he pukes on the ice. That might get the message threw and if it doesn't, I'd make him do it until he looks like Kate Moss.
Seriously?

Old
11-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Maybe he's afraid to stand up to Marty? Ever since Marty expressed displeasure with being pulled that time, Pete hasn't given him the hook since. The closest thing would be him giving Cory 3 starts in a row after Marty's disastrous start to the season.
He really hasn't been pulled since that playoff game? I can't even remember.

If he's afraid to stand for Brodeur then he needs to go. I don't think it's that. He just doesn't know how to manage this goalie situation, which is understandable, but maybe not at this time...especially when you have a young goalie in his prime.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

Quote:
There hasn't been any reason to pull either goalie this season, nor was there much last season either. We kept losing close games. Plus with all these games on top of each other we really don't want to be pulling goalies when we might need the other the next night.

Why you wouldn't see Cory get the hook tonight either.

Old
11-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
He really hasn't been pulled since that playoff game? I can't even remember.

If he's afraid to stand for Brodeur then he needs to go. I don't think it's that. He just doesn't know how to manage this goalie situation, which is understandable, but maybe not at this time...especially when you have a young goalie in his prime.
Yes that was the last time. Even after the pull in Calgary earlier that season, Marty really seemed not too happy that he pulled in that game. That was after giving up 2 really brutal goals from the point in the first 5-10 minutes of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
There hasn't been any reason to pull either goalie this season, nor was there much last season either. We kept losing close games. Plus with all these games on top of each other we really don't want to be pulling goalies when we might need the other the next night.

Why you wouldn't see Cory get the hook tonight either.
There really hasn't been a situation where we would pull the goalie (Other than Moose who was pulled twice last year in the same week) although I remember Marty getting pulled a couple times prematurely in 11-12. One time Marty gave up 2 goals in one period, and Pete put in Hedberg. It was very early in that season. I remember him saying something like ''I was just trying to spark the team, and he was paying the price for the entire team.''

Old
11-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Yes that was the last time. Even after the pull in Calgary earlier that season, Marty really seemed not too happy that he pulled in that game. That was after giving up 2 really brutal goals from the point in the first 5-10 minutes of the game.

There really hasn't been a situation where we would pull the goalie (Other than Moose who was pulled twice last year in the same week) although I remember Marty getting pulled a couple times prematurely in 11-12. One time Marty gave up 2 goals in one period, and Pete put in Hedberg. It was very early in that season. I remember him saying something like ''I was just trying to spark the team, and he was paying the price for the entire team.''
Yeah, I remember the Calgary game. Brodeur was not pleased....I found the comments on Tg's blog.
Quote:
Brodeur didn’t sound pleased the DeBoer didn’t give him the opportunity to stay in the game.
Quote:
“He makes his own decision on it,” Brodeur said. “I’m definitely not going to sit here and say I deserved it or whatever. I’m sure he felt it worked once in Ottawa, maybe he’d try to do it again. I don’t know his thinking process on that one. In a game like that, you’ve got to give me a chance to play. Seven minutes into the game, it’s not over, yet. I know he was trying to spark the team or something. It just didn’t work this time.”
About pulling goalies...well Deboer seemed adamant last year on not pulling Moose. He rather him lay down and die every night than give a young guy a shot. On the other hand, Kinkaid and Frazee were not prepared for that, but I think moose's confidence got shot down even more during that period.

Old
11-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the Calgary game. Brodeur was not pleased....I found the comments on Tg's blog.

About pulling goalies...well Deboer seemed adamant last year on not pulling Moose. He rather him lay down and die every night than give a young guy a shot. On the other hand, Kinkaid and Frazee were not prepared for that, but I think moose's confidence got shot down even more during that period.
I remember being really displeased with Marty's comments after that game. The two goals he gave up were mind numbingly bad. Little to no screen and no deflections from the point. He claimed he was screened on one of them, but to then give another one like that up and complain about being pulled kinda pissed me off.

The Ottawa game I remember it really not being his fault. Moose came in that Calgary game and was even worse than Marty. The pull really did nothing, but I can't blame Pete for pulling him that game. Moose came in and looked even worse.

Old
11-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

More on Marty and Pete.

We played in Minnesota and went down 3-0 in the first period. Marty was pulled in that game after giving up 3 goals on the first 4 shots. He didn't complain in that one. I think it was just a mercy pull. We still wound up losing, but Moose only gave up one goal. Moose was scheduled to start the next night in Winnipeg, but I figured maybe he'd go back to Marty because Hedberg played all but a few minutes of the Minnesota game. He still stuck with Hedberg in Winnipeg.

We played in Edmonton the night after that Calgary game. As bad as Moose was against Calgary, Pete still went with him in Edmonton. I'm pretty sure his response to starting Hedberg the very next night again was ''We're sticking with the original plan''. Something along those lines. I was pretty surprised that Pete went right back to Hedberg both of those times, instead of giving Marty another chance.

Closed Thread