HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Talk/Speculation/News), Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2013, 11:00 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 500
id quite like to pick up Hertl. but thats a tough deal to make

Old
12-10-2013, 11:01 AM
MJMazzarone
#LGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
id quite like to pick up Hertl. but thats a tough deal to make
And who knows if Hertl if going to be a one year wonder or the real deal.

I don't know if it's going to be as tough as one would think. You'd prob would have to over-pay for him and I REALLY don't know if I would do that until he plays more then one season in the NHL.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
I don't know if it's going to be as tough as one would think. You'd prob would have to over-pay for him
thats what I mean. they will command alot, but you dont know if its gonna pan out. tough deal to get right

Old
12-10-2013, 11:05 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

I think Hertl might be a flash in the pan...but he's a Czech and a goal scorer.....would be nice to have right about now

Old
12-10-2013, 11:06 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Why are a lot of folks here so quick to dump larrson? he's 21 and the devils thought high enough of him to take him fourth overall. So what, he develops along with Gelinas and Merrill.

Yakupov? Eberle? How about one Taylor Hall or Stamkos? I think Lou trades for a guy like Kassian before he swings out some fantasy some have here of a disgruntled Russian and or Eberle.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

I dont think we want to dump Larsson
but you have to give something good to get something good
and we need some goals
we have more D to trade than O

Old
12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
Why are a lot of folks here so quick to dump larrson? he's 21 and the devils thought high enough of him to take him fourth overall. So what, he develops along with Gelinas and Merrill.

Yakupov? Eberle? How about one Taylor Hall or Stamkos? I think Lou trades for a guy like Kassian before he swings out some fantasy some have here of a disgruntled Russian and or Eberle.
Eberle is soft and his own team's fans hate him. The infatuation with Edmonton's "soft serve ice cream" players is astounding here. That's the opposite of what we want to be. Eberle leads his team in giveaways and doesn't play defense. His fans think he's soft and doesn't buy into "team play" yet people are quick to give Larsson for him.

Walk to the Edmonton board and look at their "Why is Eberle lazy?" thread. From like 2 days ago. Or the "Value of Eberle" thread from a month ago.

(Sorry for the massive quotes RG. Looked a lot more compact on my screen ).

Old
12-10-2013, 11:13 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
and we need some goals
What good would you get for an injured player in Larrson you selling at his lowest value yet. If the Devils wanted to get something good, they would of bought something with the pick in lieu of drafting Larrson.

I believe you will see a player like Gionta, Bourque or Kassian here before you would see some sort of blockbuster. I'm all for improving the team, but I don't see Larrson being the chip a lot of people here.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
MJMazzarone
#LGD

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
and we need some goals
It's because we need scoring and Larsson is a defensive defenseman and apparently those kind aren't supposed to go that high in draft...and two young, promising defensemen are enough so who needs Larsson amirite?

In all seriousness, I don't know the reasoning. I wouldn't give up Larsson short of a massive overpayment. Him, Merrill and Gelinas are the three defensemen we should be building around. Hopefully in the next few years we move along from the Bryce Salvadors and Anton Volchenkovs of the world. (No offense to A-Train as he's actually playing great hockey...for once.)

Old
12-10-2013, 11:18 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Eberle is soft and his own team's fans hate him. The infatuation with Edmonton's "soft serve ice cream" players is astounding here. That's the opposite of what we want to be. Eberle leads his team in giveaways and doesn't play defense. His fans think he's soft and doesn't buy into "team play" yet people are quick to give Larsson for him.

Walk to the Edmonton board and look at their "Why is Eberle lazy?" thread. From like 2 days ago. Or the "Value of Eberle" thread from a month ago.

(Sorry for the massive quotes RG. Looked a lot more compact on my screen ).
I don't get the love for either player. Yakupov and Eberle, one mans trash is another treasure. You need certain cats to come here and buy into team play versus whatever they play up in Edmonton

I would much rather see a bolstered defense signing a Phaneuf to play alongside Larrson and allow Gelinas and Merrill to continue to develop. It's amazing how much better the team looks with defense that can generate offense.

I'm not as bearish on this offense as some around here. However, players like Josefson, Tedenby and Brunner may do better somewhere else. Perhaps that's whose on the block as we speak.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

I would only want to trade Larsson now because I honestly think Deboer is stunting his growth as a confident player.
He might be worth even less next year???
Remember how people said Sutter didnt like Europeans, It seems like Deboer doesnt like Swedes

Old
12-10-2013, 11:23 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:

No one wants to get rid of Larsson but I do think we'd be a better all around team if we could flip Larsson for young forward with the same type of upside.

Our forward group is nothing short of a joke. If we remove our 2 oldest forwards (Jagr and Elias), our 3rd best point producer is ****ing Dainus Zubrus with 13 pts in 31 games. That right there is the definition of a joke.

When your top forwards are 41 and 38 years of age, the pipeline looks bone dry and the current youngsters on our team aren't producing jack ****... one would think that moving a key piece at a position where we have several up and coming prospects, would be the way to go in order to level out our roster.

We all want to see what Larsson, Gélinas, Merrill and Severson can do in the next couple of years but if we have Zajac with Brunner and Tedenby on our 1st line, I can garantee you that we'll average just over a goal per game.

And one more thing. Don't think Schneider isn't aware of our lack of offense and I'm 110% certain that if management doesn't do anything to show that they want to improve our offense, it'll play a important role in Corey's decision to stay or bolt when a extension will be offered to him this summer.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:23 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
It's because we need scoring and Larsson is a defensive defenseman and apparently those kind aren't supposed to go that high in draft...and two young, promising defensemen are enough so who needs Larsson amirite?

In all seriousness, I don't know the reasoning. I wouldn't give up Larsson short of a massive overpayment. Him, Merrill and Gelinas are the three defensemen we should be building around. Hopefully in the next few years we move along from the Bryce Salvadors and Anton Volchenkovs of the world. (No offense to A-Train as he's actually playing great hockey...for once.)
I'm not for it for players that don't fit the mold from a losing organization that will need time to get use to being a devil.

Volchenkov has picked his play and his prescense on the pk is felt. The devils pk is consistently solid. You do need a player of his stature on the backend.

Larrson is a solid overall defensemen and he was ranked and went were he was supposed to. He can contribute offensively and has in the past. Maybe the strike stunted him a bit? Gelinas is playing after a stint of four years in Albany. Merrill is being eased in. Greene is steady.

I think the best moves are to stand pat and let Clowe come back and trade surplus for something that may works versus a potential building block in Larrson.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Tundra

I would trade Greene to a desperate team before Larsson. Maybe grab a Gogligoski or Rundblad as a reclamation project.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:31 AM
MJMazzarone
#LGD

Quote:
I'm not for it for players that don't fit the mold from a losing organization that will need time to get use to being a devil.

Volchenkov has picked his play and his prescense on the pk is felt. The devils pk is consistently solid. You do need a player of his stature on the backend.

Larrson is a solid overall defensemen and he was ranked and went were he was supposed to. He can contribute offensively and has in the past. Maybe the strike stunted him a bit? Gelinas is playing after a stint of four years in Albany. Merrill is being eased in. Greene is steady.

I think the best moves are to stand pat and let Clowe come back and trade surplus for something that may works versus a potential building block in Larrson.
And what happens when Clowe eventually gets injured again?

If the "DeBoer hates Swedes" theory was true then Volchenkov would be constantly benched and not played as much. He's been a PDB favorite. Until Tallinder got his blood clot he got a lot of playing time as well.

Tedenby is a fast player with potential but he just doesn't have any finish whatsoever. JJ has had chances with Gionta out of the lineup and hasn't taken advantage. None of these situations apply to Larsson at all. He was benched in a situation where we had more healthy d-men then we do now.

The only mistake Deboer made with Larsson is not keeping him in the AHL instead of constantly benching him. However, as of now I see nothing to see that he is "killing his development". If we trade Larsson for Yakupov what makes you think he won't "kill his development"?

Old
12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
No one wants to get rid of Larsson but I do think we'd be a better all around team if we could flip Larsson for young forward with the same type of upside.

Our forward group is nothing short of a joke. If we remove our 2 oldest forwards (Jagr and Elias), our 3rd best point producer is ****ing Dainus Zubrus with 13 pts in 31 games. That right there is the definition of a joke.

When your top forwards are 41 and 38 years of age, the pipeline looks bone dry and the current youngsters on our team aren't producing jack ****... one would think that moving a key piece at a position where we have several up and coming prospects, would be the way to go in order to level out our roster.

We all want to see what Larsson, Gélinas, Merrill and Severson can do in the next couple of years but if we have Zajac with Brunner and Tedenby on our 1st line, I can garantee you that we'll average just over a goal per game.

And one more thing. Don't think Schneider isn't aware of our lack of offense and I'm 110% certain that if management doesn't do anything to show that they want to improve our offense, it'll play a important role in Corey's decision to stay or bolt when a extension will be offered to him this summer.
The reality is you are not going to get an offensive upside player of his caliber or pedigree considering his issues, his value is at an all time low.

I tend to ***** things at the halfway mark and the year's end. While you are right, they are hobbling out the gate, but you can't deny Zajac and others have picked their pace up front. Brunner, Henrique and others need to heat up a bit like Ryder has.

I don't look at it as a pipeline and much as pieces in the machine. Sesisto gets called up and has a huge game against the Rangers in lieu of Carter. Jannsen from Albany as well. Boucher played sharp, he's still raw.

You make sure coherent points here, but you lose me in your middle and last paragraph. Lou signed THREE UFA's to improve the offense and gave the Swedish a chance to make an impact and they have been a disappoint.

Schneider knows this his chance to shine, the look goes both ways as well as the dance. Schneider last two starts weren't exactly his greatest. So while, I acknowledge his ability he also has to acknowledge the offense has picked up in the last month or so. SO either way, he has to play for a contract, whether it's Jersey or somewhere else. The knock on him is the unknown of his true ability. on the flipside, he has to know this could be his team and play like the number one a lot of people have made him out to be.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Tundra

Quote:

If the "DeBoer hates Swedes" theory was true then Volchenkov would be constantly benched and not played as much. He's been a PDB favorite. Until Tallinder got his blood clot he got a lot of playing time as well.

Tedenby is a fast player with potential but he just doesn't have any finish whatsoever. JJ has had chances with Gionta out of the lineup and hasn't taken advantage. None of these situations apply to Larsson at all. He was benched in a situation where we had more healthy d-men then we do now.

The only mistake Deboer made with Larsson is not keeping him in the AHL instead of constantly benching him. However, as of now I see nothing to see that he is "killing his development". If we trade Larsson for Yakupov what makes you think he won't "kill his development"?
Didn't Tallinder verbally take Pete to task after he was moved? Secondly, didn't some of the young Swedes look up to Tallinder when he was here? I wonder how hard Pete is going to make it for Lou when Larsson's next contact comes up?

Old
12-10-2013, 11:37 AM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:

Any player can get injured at any time.

The thinking with Larrson is he's still on the learning curve and that who knows how much influence Stevens has on that call.

I agree on the swedes, they may flourish elsewhere especially Tedenby. I don't think DeBoer has it out for the swedes, I think he prefers guys that really work at it versus guys who are talented and can't seem to put it all together.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalDevil View Post
I regret not making my username PBandGelly.......

Also, where the hell is Merrill's nick name?
Merrill Launch ??
I heard he had a good shot

Old
12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Merrill Dixon. He's a loose cannon.

Walking Dead fans know what I'm talking about.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
If the "DeBoer hates Swedes" theory was true then Volchenkov would be constantly benched and not played as much. He's been a PDB favorite.
ok. but Volch is Russian....

Old
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
SteveCangialosi123

I don't see Larsson's huge upside. Generally, someone with all the physical tools that hasn't put it all together is considered to have major upside. What are Larsson's tools? He's slow, not a great shot, not particularly strong...He's pretty good positionally and he's a pretty good passer. Also he's 21. Those are the only things I see really. Gelinas looks like he can be much much much more of an impact player. He can learn defense. Larsson can't learn how to have a world class shot.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

You don't make a move to make a move. You don't panic and trade Larsson for tissue soft players just because we need "offensive potential."

Edmonton is looking awesome with all their offensive potential.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
You don't make a move to make a move. You don't panic and trade Larsson for tissue soft players just because we need "offensive potential."

Edmonton is looking awesome with all their offensive potential.
Edmonton is doing all it can do to muck up until it's McDavid time.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalDevil View Post
I regret not making my username PBandGelly.......

Also, where the hell is Merrill's nick name?
Lynch, because he's money.

Closed Thread