HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs bars in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Thomas

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Habs bars in Toronto

I will be in Toronto for the first half of the season and was wondering if anybody knows of any Habs bars in Toronto that show every or most games? Any advice would be appreciated. Going from watching 80 games a season to 8 would be the end of me.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Guy Caballero

I don't know of any, but don't despair. All you need is a Rogers Digital cable box and 8 bucks a month for the French package, which carries RDS. That's what I've been doing for a while. They show every game.

Alternately, you could order the Rogers sports pack for $24 a month, which would give you every NHL, NFL, and NBA game throughout the winter. I'm considering making the upgrade this year, but sometimes I prefer the French to the American broadcasts, despite my meagre understanding of French.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I will be in Toronto for the first half of the season and was wondering if anybody knows of any Habs bars in Toronto that show every or most games? Any advice would be appreciated. Going from watching 80 games a season to 8 would be the end of me.
The RDS french broadcasts are really good IMO, I assume you understand french?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Squeaky

Brodcasts are great, but bars are better. I've heard of one in TO, I just can't remember the name. It's downtownish, if I remember right.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Any Canuck bars in Toronto?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Thomas

The place im renting does not have rogers cable digital box (I'm living in a basement and use whatever they provide as cable) so its either a bar or nothing im afraid.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:47 PM
CHareth

Dear Fake Internet Friends:

Like Thomas, I too find myself in the enemy's den having moved here recently, although my stay here in Toronto is long-term and not just limited to a few months. I've lived here before and really like the city overall, but find Leaf coverage and rabid Leaf fans to be too much for my senses at times. Now that NHL hockey is coming back, I should start thinking about how to take care of myself in Leafland. If any of you has any advice or suggestions regarding how to keep myself sane during Leaf hockey mania, I would really appreciate it. Likewise, if you can offer any hygiene tips in the event I should come into contact with any Leaf fans, that too would be helpful.

Humbly yours,

anon
Fellow Hab Fan

Old
07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Hab Fan in T.O.

I believe there is a Habs friendly bar in Toronto called "Kilgour's". I've never been but I think it is on Bloor street.

If you go, let me know what it is like.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

What I"m thinking is, why are you guys in enemy territory in the first place? Recon Missions? Industrial Spying? Thrill seaking?

Old
07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Face

Being a Habs fan and having lived in Toronto - Calgary - Toronto I can say with authority that there are very few good sports bars period in the downtown core of the city (Toronto).

Calgary on the other hand has all kinds of good sports bars that play the Habs when there on. Trying to watch any type of sports event, like boxing, in this city is a nightmare. Apperantly there is just not a market here for a good sports pub (at least not in the downtown).

Sorry buddy, no help here

Old
07-26-2005, 10:40 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder
What I"m thinking is, why are you guys in enemy territory in the first place? Recon Missions? Industrial Spying? Thrill seaking?
More like "sucker for punishment".

The wife wanted to come here, and I took the path of least resistance in order to save myself from hearing more of the same tunes at Nagfest. Seriously, the city itself is very good if you can live with the Leaf Mania tradeoff.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab Fan in T.O.
I believe there is a Habs friendly bar in Toronto called "Kilgour's". I've never been but I think it is on Bloor street.

If you go, let me know what it is like.
I googled it and you seem to be right, thanks a lot!

"I'm angry about the whole thing," said Peter Kilgour, owner of Kilgour's Bar Meets Grill, the unofficial home of Montreal Canadiens fans living in Toronto."

http://www.globemoney.com/servlet/st...k13_1/BNStory/

The story is locked but if you google Kilgour's montreal canadiens you will find that quote.

I'll be spending 3 nights a week there (if they do in fact show games)

Old
07-26-2005, 10:54 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I hope i can find a habs bar in montreal :p

Old
07-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I googled it and you seem to be right, thanks a lot!

"I'm angry about the whole thing," said Peter Kilgour, owner of Kilgour's Bar Meets Grill, the unofficial home of Montreal Canadiens fans living in Toronto."

http://www.globemoney.com/servlet/st...k13_1/BNStory/

The story is locked but if you google Kilgour's montreal canadiens you will find that quote.

I'll be spending 3 nights a week there (if they do in fact show games)

If you want to actually read the article without registering with the Globe (which is free)

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

ought to work.

edit: The rest of the article is pointless though, the quote is the only good part.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:35 PM
BMRBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Dear Fake Internet Friends:
I got a chuckle out of that...

Old
07-27-2005, 07:04 AM
time

Kilgour's is in the Annex, maybe on the corner of Howland and Bloor. It is on the south side of Bloor, about 3,4 blocks east of Bathhurst. It's kind of easy to miss because you have to go up some steps to get to the front door.

They have chairs from the Forum and every Hab game on TV. Although, I have been there when the owner is away and the staff puts the Leafs on TV!

I also found that some TO sports bars will put one TV on the Habs if you ask nicely and are prepared for some good-natured abuse (and, oh yeah, if you tip really well on the first beer!).

Old
07-27-2005, 08:30 AM
HappyFan

Good advice, having recently moved to Leafland as well I will probably be making the trek out to the annex come this October.

Closed Thread