HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need Toughness and Size!!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
We do neeed a goon...and rather badly. Quintal should not have to so the job single-handedly. Those of you who can remember all the way back to last season should remember that his efforts were often futile however courageous they may have been.

Komisarek and Souray will definitely help but we don not want them taking on the likes of Worrell or Laraque on a regular basis. We need a genuine, NHL calibre policeman.

To be useful, the goon must be able to play hockey as well as fight. The candidates the Habs have to offer can do neither.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
We do neeed a goon...and rather badly. Quintal should not have to so the job single-handedly. Those of you who can remember all the way back to last season should remember that his efforts were often futile however courageous they may have been.

Komisarek and Souray will definitely help but we don not want them taking on the likes of Worrell or Laraque on a regular basis. We need a genuine, NHL calibre policeman.

To be useful, the goon must be able to play hockey as well as fight. The candidates the Habs have to offer can do neither.
What do you mean by "goon"?

Cap

Old
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
What do you mean by "goon"?

Cap
IMO a goon is a player whose principal* function on the team is to fight and to otherwise playy tough.

*As previously stated, for a goon to be effective and not hurt his team overall he must be able to play hockey. Examples of effective goons include Brashear, Simon, Domi, Probert, Nilan, and McSorley. These guys are gold.

Goons that hurt their teams merely by getting icetime include Blouin, Dwyer and lots of other guys without good enough hockey skillsto dress more than one game in five. These guys are a dime a dozen. What distinguishes the Habs' goons is they are very mediocre at fighting as well.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
IMO a goon is a player whose principal* function on the team is to fight and to otherwise playy tough.

*As previously stated, for a goon to be effective and not hurt his team overall he must be able to play hockey. Examples of effective goons include Brashear, Simon, Domi, Probert, Nilan, and McSorley. These guys are gold.

Goons that hurt their teams merely by getting icetime include Blouin, Dwyer and lots of other guys without good enough hockey skillsto dress more than one game in five. These guys are a dime a dozen. What distinguishes the Habs' goons is they are very mediocre at fighting as well.
While a "goon" would be welcome, I don't think that's the difference between us being a good team and being the team we are today. I think that tough two-way players are needed. Players like Mike Fisher, Chris Neil, Vaclav Varada, etc. Guys that can play hockey first and be tough second can be on my team anyday before a one-dimensional goon.

Cap

Old
09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
DEBASER

yeah, it's a tough binary we have going - add a big player who can fight to our already overcrowded roster or go with what we have now.

one thing to consider is that our lineup WILL be bigger and grittier this year. Hossa, though not tough, will add size to a scoring line. Ward and Ryder will also add grit to the forward ranks. Komi and Souray will have full seasons on the blueline.

we still lack a true enforcer, but our lineup is steadily getting bigger and tougher; i'm sure this is an area that Gainey will address if past trends continue into the season.

that said, san jose sent a fifth round pick to colorado for Parker...seems like exactly the kind of guy we could have used. kinda dissapointed we didn't get him.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:23 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
While a "goon" would be welcome, I don't think that's the difference between us being a good team and being the team we are today. I think that tough two-way players are needed. Players like Mike Fisher, Chris Neil, Vaclav Varada, etc. Guys that can play hockey first and be tough second can be on my team anyday before a one-dimensional goon.

Cap
Exactly....those are also my sentiments

Old
09-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Drunk World Order

Finally some guys to back my point...A guy who can take a regular shift and not hurt us...but also strike fear and hold other teams accoutable for there actions...I like Dwyer and respect his courage and hart...but a guy like Brashear, Domi, Fedoruk, Worrel, Parker etc...Aren't gonna be worried about taking on Dwyer...because they don't view him as a threat...However if we had a guy like Ryan Flinn 6'4 235...and as tough as 40 year old rusted nails...they would think twice...I personally think Dwyer would compliment a real Enfocer...but neither of them would play every day...just when were facing teams like the Flyers, Leafs, Rangers etc...I more than anybody wanna see our kids play and develop!!!

Old
09-30-2003, 07:20 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order
...However if we had a guy like Ryan Flinn 6'4 235...and as tough as 40 year old rusted nails...they would think twice...I personally think Dwyer would compliment a real Enfocer...but neither of them would play every day...just when were facing teams like the Flyers, Leafs, Rangers etc...I more than anybody wanna see our kids play and develop!!!
We're both agree. Toughness is needed badly here.
If BG brings someone like Ryan Flinn 6'4 235, I'll have a cigar.

Closed Thread