HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Fastest burst of speed you've ever seen with the puck

Old
04-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Fastest burst of speed you've ever seen with the puck

Post some clips if you'd like, or describe them if you can't. Preferably you want to see these plays result in a goal as they would be more memorable that way but there are some times when a player just blows the doors down and turns the jets on and excelerates. Here are some memorable examples of top speed in a game situation.

Here is Bure against the Leafs and Joseph. Have you ever seen someone break through center going so fast?

Here is Cournoyer in the 1972 Series vs. Russia (start it at 1:40). Nice pass from Park, but like with Bure he loads up in his own end and in this case just leaves the Soviets literally standing still

Check this video out and start it at 1:50. Bure just blows by Lidstrom at top speed without hesitation

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Yep... The Road Runner & Bure, Human Highlight Reels for sure. Not sure who the "fastest skater with the puck" in the 50's mightve been, but certainly in the 60's that had to be Bobby Hull & a close second being Frank Mahovlich. Orr, Cournoyer & Lafleur in the 70's.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Pavel Bure was the first guy that came to mind, huge burst and quite possibly the most exciting speed guy to watch ever.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:45 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Kharlamov's goal against Montreal in the NYE game of 1975 was a thing of beauty. Perreault in game 1 of the 79 Challenge Cup. He actually goes end to end to set up Bossy and its not really a burst, but the Soviets got caught standing around watching him as he just skated at full speed to the net. Gainey had a nice goal in that game too as he burst around the defenseman to shelf it on Tretyak. And Lemieux's goal against the North Stars in the 91 SCF reminds me of Perreault a lot. Just sheer speed, will and skill.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Pavel Bure was the first guy that came to mind, huge burst and quite possibly the most exciting speed guy to watch ever.
Ya, this is bleeding into the Fastest Hands thread a bit, as Bure's my number one pick in that department as well as this one for Fastest Burst of Speed W/Puck. Pavel's speed matched his hands & stick, the guy absolutely in sync & doing it all in a Warp that was impossible to catch. Fastest Ive ever seen before or after, all due respect to Orr & Lafleur, Cournoyer, Frank Mahovlich & Bobby Hull...

Old
04-05-2013, 04:16 AM
VMBM
Uncool & heavy

Balderis of course (talking about splitting the defense):

Sergei Kapustin vs. Serge Savard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukhxaTZi3Gc&t=58m23s

I don't think many other players just went around Savard like that.

Last edited by VMBM: 04-05-2013 at 04:24 AM.
VMBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Bure for sure and Orr before he lost his "ludicrous speed" gear and only had his "ridiculous speed" gear to rely on heh.

I still say Russ Courntall was one of the fastest and quickest accelerators I have ever seen. Unfortunately this thread is about with the puck and Rusty had a tendency to leave his hands and quite often the puck about 10 feet behind him

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 04-05-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Breakfast of Champs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtDVK1xdfw

Fastest I've seen from a prospect. It's really too bad the clip starts once he's already speeding so you can't see the full acceleration. He was 16 there.

Edit: if anyone can tell me how to make that link a video let me know. It's MacKinnon vs the wildcats in last year's playoffs.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Carl Carlson

vCash: 50
Fastest I've ever seen is Bure. Orr looks fast on film but never saw him actually play.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
I still say Russ Courntall was one of the fastest and quickest accelerators I have ever seen. Unfortunately this thread is about with the puck and Rusty had a tendency to leave his hands and quite often the puck about 10 feet behind him
... ya no kidding eh? If that guy'd ever managed to get it together couldve been a contender. All that speed & grace going absolutely nowhere fast. One of the most frustrating players Ive ever watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carlson View Post
Fastest I've ever seen is Bure. Orr looks fast on film but never saw him actually play.
As this threads about Fastest Burst of Speed, same sort of measurement you'd use for a high performance sports or muscle car, as in fastest 0-60, certainly Bure is my pick overall as probably the most explosive that way. Orr was deceptive, film & video not really giving the viewer the full appreciation for his ability to go from say 2nd or 3rd to 5th gear in literally one step. Rather like a Usain Bolt in a preliminary race in order to qualify for the Finals. Just toying with the field, then BAM with like 15M's left, just kicks it so far into overdrive while everyone else is going full out its not even funny or fair. Gone Baby Gone. Like some kinda freak job Cyborg. Bure was the same. Wouldve been incredible to have seen those two guys facing one another, or more frighteningly, playing on the same team together. Throw in Coffey, Balderis as video'd above. Good luck.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
overg

It's hard to put Coffey and "burst" together, because his skating was so incredibly smooth, it seemed anything but "bursty." And yet the guy's acceleration was just insane. He'd coast along, and then almost instantly be just blowing by someone. It looked like he'd downshift from fifth to second, only without a visible lurch or any risk of blowing up his engine.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
BraveCanadian

Paul Coffey has some of these.

It is just hard to tell because he coasts past people.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Paul Coffey has some of these. It is just hard to tell because he coasts past people.
Ya, Lafleur as well. Both however had to wind up a bit but once they did, their gliding was actually faster than most of the league going wide open with both legs churning like pistons trying to catchup. Orr as well. Incredible speed in glide mode. Simple matter of arcing low, extreme body angling & weight distribution, kinetics, physics...

Old
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Pavel Bure for sure. Joe Sakic game 3 in 2001 vs the canucks period 1. Havent seen someone skate so fast but he hit the post on Bob Essensa

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Big Phil

Since Perreault was mentioned, here is his dazzling goal in Game 4. It cuts off the first part of it, but it is just typical Perreault skating, blowing by defenders with ease. Starts around 1:50

Old
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Yzerman prior to 93/94 should get an HM too.
He didn't have the top end of Fed's or Coffey but his slow and then go's were deadly before injuries robbed him of some of that acceleration.

You always see the really fast/quick guys beating people outside but not too many could beat guys inside with speed like Stevie could.
Usually when you beat a guy inside, you get hooked faster than you can spit but Stevie would be by them so fast that they would just be waving at air.

He was never the same player after 93/94 and it's a crying shame too because I truly believe he would have been duking it out with Jagr for where he ranks and not Sakic had he stayed healthy.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 04-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Hec Kilrea

Heres a fun one, Hec Kilrea. Former Speedskater from Ottawa circa 1920's. Did a lap in hockey skates in 16.227 (thereabouts) compared to Mike Gartner who I think still holds the record at 13.386 seconds.... Kilrea was a contemporary of Howie The Stratford Streak Morenz who was considered the fastest of his era however, that time of 16sec's & change by Kilrea was apparently 17 seconds faster than what Morenz was clocked at! That is one very seriously freakin quick lap considering the skates of 1928 when Kilrea pulled that off.

Ralph Mellanby, former Exec Producer of Hockey Night in Canada was in awe of Bobby Hull's skating, and one time asked Newsy Lalonde who was of course still alive back then (long after actually) what he thought of Hull & who he'd compare him to, Newsy as well having played with & against Howie, and he said basically that Morenz & Hull were identical. Mellanby only had old film to go on, could certainly see something "special" about Morenz, but "exactly like Bobby Hull, the Golden Jet"? Well, thanks for that Newsy. Cleared it right up.

Two other guys from the early years, Fred Cyclone Taylor & Didier Pitre, claimed by observers, coaches & managers of the day that both could skate as fast going forwards as they could backwards, that Taylor had in fact once scored a goal rushing the entire length of the ice in reverse, pulling deke's I guess like Speedy Gonzales' on Red Bull, Vodka & Blow. Wouldnt that have been a site to see...

Old
04-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Beatle17

The quickest guys for me were Bure, Selanne, Mogilny and Bobby Orr. Instant speed and awesome to watch. From my team Joe Watson (haha)

Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
From my team Joe Watson (haha)
Colorado, Flyers or Bruins?... we talkin JJ Watson? Finally cracks the Bruins Defence in 66/67 then gets grabbed by the Flyers where he played until 77/78, going to the Hell of the Rockies 78/79, where just 16 games in he suffers the worst broken leg in the history of the NHL? Unbelievable. Wayne Babych hit. Thighbone shattered in 14 pieces, kneecap split in half. Might as well just amputate... dont think Joe needed his Tacks sharpened anytime soon thereafter Beatle. Like ever. Poor bastid. Man thats gotta hurt.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Beatle17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Colorado, Flyers or Bruins?... we talkin JJ Watson? Finally cracks the Bruins Defence in 66/67 then gets grabbed by the Flyers where he played until 78/79, going to the Hell of the Rockies, where just 16 games in he suffers the worst broken leg in the history of the NHL? Unbelievable. Wayne Babych hit. Thighbone shattered in 14 pieces, kneecap split in half. Might as well just amputate... dont think Joe there needed his Tacks sharpened anytime soon thereafter Beatle. Like ever. Poor bastid. Man thats gotta hurt.
Flyers Joe. Painfully slow but didn't look out of place with the rest of our defence. Cheer my heart out for the Flyers but god we have had some slowwww moving defencemen forever.

Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Big Phil

Do other people have some video of certains goals/rushes from a player where he flew around the team?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Do other people have some video of certains goals/rushes from a player where he flew around the team?
Well, theres this guy Phil, Rene Robert, known for his blinding speed & ballistic shot obviously & most notably playing RW on the French Connection Line. Robert had some serious wheels 0-60, built like a little tank... here for example absolutely smokin up the ice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNHmgBzPwY

Old
04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, theres this guy Phil, Rene Robert, known for his blinding speed & ballistic shot obviously & most notably playing RW on the French Connection Line. Robert had some serious wheels 0-60, built like a little tank... here for example absolutely smokin up the ice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNHmgBzPwY
A fine player. That clip shows a rare glimpse of a mortal Bernie Parent as well. Just a sidenote here, if that fog happened in a game today would it continue if they couldn't maintain it? The reason I say this is because we all saw what happened with the 30 minute delay in the Super Bowl this year because one section of the lights went out. Would it be worth it to have a team complain at a later date (the losing team) that the conditions were unfair? The more I think of it, I am actually surprised the game continued in 1975 like that.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:59 PM
theYman
We like our team

Yeah I know crappy quality

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
theYman
We like our team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
The quickest guys for me were Bure, Selanne, Mogilny and Bobby Orr. Instant speed and awesome to watch. From my team Joe Watson (haha)
Fedorov says hello.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote