HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why always so many Gretzky bashers?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
To answer the first question of the thread, I'll give my opinion :
I respect Gretzky, the hockey player tremendously. Make no mistake, I admire the player.
However, I didn't like the Edmonton ending, I didn't like the LA ending, I didn't like the Blues ending, and I simply don't like the personality of Gretzky.
He wants to be a soft spoken guy, he wants to sound humble, but he's not.
I'd rather hear a guy that doesn't try to be humble when he is not (Hull, Mario). Gretzky is trying to get a nice image too much and that makes him look untrue.
Like how he explains why he chose his number, the way he talks about his career, etc...

Gretzky simply doesn't seem natural when he talks to the media.
LOL.

You mean he's too nice?

Old
07-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
To answer the first question of the thread, I'll give my opinion :
I respect Gretzky, the hockey player tremendously. Make no mistake, I admire the player.
However, I didn't like the Edmonton ending, I didn't like the LA ending, I didn't like the Blues ending, and I simply don't like the personality of Gretzky.
He wants to be a soft spoken guy, he wants to sound humble, but he's not.
I'd rather hear a guy that doesn't try to be humble when he is not (Hull, Mario). Gretzky is trying to get a nice image too much and that makes him look untrue.
Like how he explains why he chose his number, the way he talks about his career, etc...

Gretzky simply doesn't seem natural when he talks to the media.
I hear you. The few times I've met him, he seemed very cold and distant and had a cold fish handshake. I also don't like how he always seems to be selling a product. I'm suprised he doesn't wear logos ala a race car driver.

Bash him as a human being all you like, but I only have a problem when people don't acknowledge his greatness as a player. Like I said earlier in the thread, anybody who doesn't have him at least fourth on their all time lists, either doesn't know hockey or is a very hateful person. The only guys you could make an argument for being in his league are Orr, Howe and Lemieux. After that there is a dropoff.

Old
07-30-2005, 05:46 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
LOL.

You mean he's too nice?
I think he's not a nice person disguising himself into a nice person.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:15 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Actually, it is jealousy.

Wayne Gretzky has lived the perfect life. Virtually every male child in Canada wanted to be the world's greatest hockey player when they grew up. Gretzky lived the dream that all of us had. For some of us, we enjoyed watching someone else live the dream, for bashers, it pissed them off that they could not live the dream. They were jealous of Gretzky and as a result bashed the man every chance they got.

The other jealousy was that Gretzky did not play for their favorite team. The greatest player of all time, ripping up the league, rewriting the record books, winning Cups and living the perfect life - well, if he isn't on my team, screw him! That jealousy opens up a new wave of Gretzky bashing. People found it unbearable to have Gretzky light up their favorite team for 5 or 6 points in a blow out.

It is all jealousy. There really is no other reason to dislike the guy.
Yes there is other reasons to dislike the guy. Not everyone is forced to love every player. From what I know some fans dont like Gretzky because he just wanted to light up the score late in games when the game was already decided. Also the fact that people get pissed when someone calls him the greatest of all time as his goals were ugly 5 hole shots that would probably be stopped 9 times out of 10 in today's league.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:36 AM
bcrt2000

Just a thought but its possible most of the gretzky haters remember a moment in time when gretzky dominated their favourite team in the playoffs offensively? *cough* game 7 in toronto *cough*

Old
07-30-2005, 09:07 AM
revolverjgw

How is he ''not a nice person''? No doubt, he's not as humble as he seems, nobody is. He seems to have no ego... I'm sure he does. But you seem to be implying he's not a good person... why is that?

Old
07-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Yes there is other reasons to dislike the guy. Not everyone is forced to love every player. From what I know some fans dont like Gretzky because he just wanted to light up the score late in games when the game was already decided. Also the fact that people get pissed when someone calls him the greatest of all time as his goals were ugly 5 hole shots that would probably be stopped 9 times out of 10 in today's league.
Good lord, your hate knows no bounds. Do you really think any player from the 70's or 80's would score as many goals in today's NHL? 92 goal Gretzky would still lead the league in goals today. Anybody who actually saw the man would realize this.

Opinion is one thing, but you are just a troll and why the moderators stand for it is beyond me. You add nothing to any discussion on any topic. Bucky has already proved you're a liar, so why don't you salvage at least some sense of dignity and just leave voluntarily.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:12 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:

Same old argument with no foundation...

Only scored ugly goals...

Old
07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Onen ice quote I read somewhere about scoring goals and its very true:

"They dont ask you how you score, they ask how many".

Old
07-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pray tell, if it was so easy to score these "5 hole goals", why didn't others, like say, oh I don't know, Marcel Dionne pop 92 or so of them on a regular basis???

Old
07-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Pray tell, if it was so easy to score these "5 hole goals", why didn't others, like say, oh I don't know, Marcel Dionne pop 92 or so of them on a regular basis???
Dionne was just too classy to try for goals like that. And many was the time that he and Lafleur, when presented with an open net, shook their head and steered the puck into the corner, rather than accept a goal of such dubious aesthetic value. They were artists, BBB. Gretzky was just a hockey player.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

When the topic is Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux or the few other indisputable icons of sport, it becomes more of a Rorschach Test than anything else. That is, the responses tell us more about the poster (his unconscious or conscious mind) than it does of the subject himself.

Some of these posts are pretty telling, eh?

Old
07-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Icey

I'll tell you why I don't like Gretzky. As much as I admire him as hockey player. I acknowledge his greatness, but he is an a*s. It all stemmed from the comments at the Olympics. Yes, I know he was trying to motivate a team that was losing, but that gave him no right to rip the United States, and that's what he did. A place that he has lived and benefited from for many years. A place that his wife and children were born. And yet when he returned home after the Olympics was surprised by the cold shoulder treatment he received by many local businesses. I wonder why?

Bottem line is he is rude and arrogant and so full of himself he almost needs an entire state to himself.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
That sounds a lot like jealousy.

Thanks for proving my point.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:13 AM
Poe22222

Quote:
Also the fact that people get pissed when someone calls him the greatest of all time as his goals were ugly 5 hole shots that would probably be stopped 9 times out of 10 in today's league.
Sweet mother of God... that is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Have you ever even seen a hockey game? I'm not talking about Gretzky, just one hockey game in general. Sometimes, I doubt that you've seen one. WATCH SOME GRETZKY HIGHLIGHTS. HE WAS AMAZING. GET OVER IT. You have lost all credibility, not that you ever had any.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Charge_Seven

For a Leafs fan it all boils down to 1993...

Two Words:

HIGH STICK

Old
07-31-2005, 11:01 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe22222
Sweet mother of God... that is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Have you ever even seen a hockey game? I'm not talking about Gretzky, just one hockey game in general. Sometimes, I doubt that you've seen one. WATCH SOME GRETZKY HIGHLIGHTS. HE WAS AMAZING. GET OVER IT. You have lost all credibility, not that you ever had any.
Sweet mother of god yes I have seen hockey games son.. even before you were even born! I've seen Gretzky play a lot. I've watched some gretzky highlights for your information. I own the ultimate gretzky dvd as well as the wayne gretzky show. Most of his goals are nowhere near as exciting and beautiful as say Mario Lemieux's goals. Not to mention he used to miss on half his breakaways. Gretzky was great but the greatest? How about no!

Old
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Maybe because Marcel Dionne didn't hang out at center all the time or try to score late in blowouts? Or maybe because he had nowhere near the supporting cast Gretzky had?

Old
07-31-2005, 11:50 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Maybe because Marcel Dionne didn't hang out at center all the time or try to score late in blowouts? Or maybe because he had nowhere near the supporting cast Gretzky had?
I could read this argument a hundred times and never get sick of it. Seriously, it never gets old.

I`m sure Dionne was jealous that he was stuck with Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer while Gretzky had superstars like B.J. MacDonald and Brett Callighen.

If Gretzky`s 92 goal season was only because of his supporting cast, then how come no other Oiler had half as many points as he did that year? Never mind, I think I asked that before and nobody answered.

Do you have any proof that Gretzky scored a higher percentage of his points late in blowouts than anyone else did? Never mind, I think I asked that before and nobody answered.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:25 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning
I could read this argument a hundred times and never get sick of it. Seriously, it never gets old.

I`m sure Dionne was jealous that he was stuck with Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer while Gretzky had superstars like B.J. MacDonald and Brett Callighen.

If Gretzky`s 92 goal season was only because of his supporting cast, then how come no other Oiler had half as many points as he did that year? Never mind, I think I asked that before and nobody answered.

Do you have any proof that Gretzky scored a higher percentage of his points late in blowouts than anyone else did? Never mind, I think I asked that before and nobody answered.
Actually, there was an answer. While not direct evidence, it was shown that Gretzky scored more 'clutch' goals than anybody else. It was also shown that the Oilers were not invovled in nearly as many blow-outs as people seem to think. Certainly nowhere near as many as Lafleur's Habs.

Just more histronics from the haters. You don't need facts, logic or proof for that.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:59 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Sweet mother of god yes I have seen hockey games son.. even before you were even born! I've seen Gretzky play a lot. I've watched some gretzky highlights for your information. I own the ultimate gretzky dvd as well as the wayne gretzky show. Most of his goals are nowhere near as exciting and beautiful as say Mario Lemieux's goals. Not to mention he used to miss on half his breakaways. Gretzky was great but the greatest? How about no!
Denis Savard has scored more pretty goals than anybody around...

Is he the greatest player of all-time?

Old
07-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:

How would you know anything about Marcel Dionne's style???

"Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne."

Oh, wait, now I remember how you know about the Great Marcel : your dad, who was in LA in 1970, used his time machine to travel to the 1975-76 season and gave you a first hand account.

My dad is 62.. isnt Dionne like 59 or something? My dad left me and my mom for a couple years to live in LA in 1970 or something when I was only 8 because his job was much better in LA. So he went to a lot of LA games so he really knows Dionne much more then me and was a lot older and mature when Dionne was at his prime. I admit he's a better hockey guy then me.

It all makes so much more sense now. I suppose there were a lot of guys who could have potted 92, they just didn't want to look like puck hogs. Thanks for your continued insight and honesty.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:26 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

It isn't that I don't like or respect Gretzky, he just wasn't my kind of player.
Give me a Gordie Howe or a Cam Neely any day of the week, guys who'd do the dirty work in the corners as well as score the pretty goals.
JMO.

Old
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Actually Hasek had 6 best awards..6 Vezina trophies, 2 hart trophies and 2 pearson trophies.

I know I only took regular math, but no matter how many times I add

I can't seem to get 6. Can someone from the advanced class explain this new math to me??

Thanks in advance!

Old
07-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Not to mention he used to miss on half his breakaways.
I wish I only missed half of my breakaways. 50% on breakaways for anyone who has had more than 2 or 3 is a stellar percentage. Shooters only average about 20% all together on breakaways. 50% should make Gretzky a Scoring God!!!!......Hmmmmm....I think it did.

Closed Thread