HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reshape this team as you see fit....

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2005, 03:15 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

vCash: 903
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Reshape this team as you see fit....

I just think it would be interesting to see what everyone would do if given the chance to completley reshape the roster:

Here is mine:

#1. Cut the fat. Don't Qualify Grier, Satan, Biron. and Cambpell.
#2. Resign the core. Briere, Dumont, Hecht, Afinogenov, Tallinder, and Kotalik 2-3 year contracts at a reasonable rate. Qualify Jillson, Pyatt, Connolly, Brown. Do it in such a way to keep the payroll around 22 million Perhaps get Drury a chance to restructure his contract, giving plenty of room to...
#3. Make a splash. A big splash. First priority, Mr. Robert Blake. Get him a 3 year, 15 million deal with a nice signing bonus. Second, make a move for a physical, 1st line center, namely Forseberg. Well, we DO have the cap room... 3 year, 18 million + Incentives.

Total team salary: 33-34 million.

New lineup:

Drury-Forseberg-Dumont
Hecht-Briere-Afinogenov
Vanek-Connolly-Kotalik
Pyatt-Roy-Mair

Kalinin-Blake
McKee-Brown
Tallinder-Fitzpatrick

Miller
Noronen
extras: Gaustaud, Peters, Patrick

Old
07-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
My mind Changes on this Everyday.

One day one guy is in.The next day he's out.

The Only Things that don't change.

Moving Biron and Satan.

My Core is always

Vanek,Drury
Hecht,Briere,Dumont
Pyatt,Roy,Afinogenov
Gaustad

Mair and Taylor as extras

Kalinin
Mckee
Patrick
Tallinder
Jillson
Fitzpatrick
Campbell
Brown

Miller
Norronen

A problem with the d- 4 Right handed(Patrick,Jillson,Brown,Fitzpatrick) and 2 left that play better on the right? (Tallinder and Campbell)

Top 2 on the Left should be set Kalinin and Mckee

I'm afraid Max won't be back. ( If he's not I'd go outside the orginization to find a similar dynamic)

Connolly is my Biggest debate.

Grier I guesse I could live with at 1.3. (Maybe it's that my Fav prospect was traded for him)

I have no fear of going with Miller and Norronen.

Old
07-24-2005, 04:35 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
1. I wouldn't qualify Grier, Biron, and Campbell, but I'd qualify Satan and trade him off for something...or hope someone makes an RFA offer on him (not likely).

2. Trade Satan for prospects...maybe Satan + Thorburn to ANA for Vishnevsky + Popovic or something.

3. If available, take Hanzal or Bergfors with the 13th pick. Then with our 2nd rounder, take either Korhonen or Hellstrom.

4. Like mdoak said, re-sign Briere, Dumont, Hecht, Afinogenov, Tallider, and Kotalik...especially the latter three while they're still relatively cheap. Qualify Jillson, Pyatt, and Connolly just for the hell of it, maybe use them in trades later on.

5. Trade Drury if the deal is right. If we do this, we'll probably end up keeping Connolly. If we managed to pull off the Satan + Thorburn for Vishnevsky + Popovic or a similar deal that nets at least 1 quality 3/4 dman, I say we trade Drury + 3rd to CHI for Babchuk + Barinka.

Alot of this is really speculative and contingent on other things happening, but that's why we're all here because we love speculating

That would put the roster at :

Hecht - Briere - Dumont
Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov
Kotalik - Roy - Pyatt
Mair - Gaustad - Bartovic

Doesn't really matter what the lines are, except that we have 3 lines that are capable of putting up points, 2 of which would be defensively responsible. Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov would be an all-or-nothing line that could come up with 100 goals in a year or each have a +/- of -25. Maybe both, heh.

But it's alright, because this defense will make sure not much gets by :

Kalinin - Vishnevsky
Tallinder - Babchuk
Jillson - McKee

Then with the trades, we'd end up with 2 top-4 potential D prospects in Popovic and Barinka.

Then goalies, I would personally try to sign a solid backup goalie like J-S Aubin so we can leave Miller in Rochester for another year. The starting job will be all Noronen's, and he can play 65-70 games a year.

Speculative salaries :

Hecht - $2.5m ($2.5m/yr for 4 years)
Briere - $3m ($3m/yr for 3 years)
Dumont - $2.5m ($2.5m/yr for 2 years)
Vanek - $950k
Connolly - $1.14m (10% qualifying offer)
Afinogenov - $1.5m (We'll say $1.5m/yr for 3 years)
Kotalik - $1.2m ($1.2m/yr for 2 years)
Roy - $782k
Pyatt - $1.036m (10% qualifying offer)
Mair - $450k
Gaustad - $450k
Bartovic - $450k
Taylor - $450k
Peters - $450k

Kalinin - 1.33m
Vishnevsky - 1.14m
Tallinder - $1m ($1m/yr for 3 years)
Babchuk - $900k
Jillson - $875k (10% qualifying offer)
McKee - 1.86m
Fitzy - $450k
Brown - $585k (10% qualifying offer)

Noronen - $665k
Aubin - $600k

That brings our total salary to $26.26m. If we cut ties with McKee for a late round pick, and sign Zhitnik instead, that'd put us right around $27m, which gives us room to sign a pretty decent player or two.

Wow, this is much more long-winded than I expected. Oh well, that's what I think we should do.

Do you guys think the trades I proposed are far-fetched? If so, what other kind of trades could we do?

Old
07-24-2005, 04:39 PM
jpb

I would have fired Quinn and Regier in the off season and hired Brian Burke and let him take of things.

EDIT: I forgot to fire Don Luce. Very important step, firing Don Luce.

Old
07-24-2005, 04:48 PM
lecherous

Oh yeah, I forgot...I'd fire Quinn and Regier and split their salary among 8-10 of the best HFboard members as a braintrust so to speak, so no one here will ever disagree with the moves that the Sabres make

Chairman Chainshot, and board members Digable5, Buffaloed, invaderZim, etc. It'd be great, lol.

Old
07-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Rowley Birkin

No chance that happens, but if we are playing fantasy hockey:

Fire Don Luce and Lindy Ruff. I have already replaced Regier

1. Don't qualify Grier, Connolly, Campbell, Boulton. Let Zhitnik walk
2. Pick up option on Drury, Pyatt and Biron with more attractive contracts, and ship them off, packaged with some other players, or picks.
3a. Bring in a top level forward from a team that needs to cut salary {lets aim high and go for MVP, and the possibly available Martin St. Louis, trading the Lightning Biron, Drury, and a 1st round pick } We assume he won't be cheap.
3. Acquire a good 3/4 D-man via trading a forward + picks {Toni Lydman for example}. I proposed Pyatt + 2nd for him on the trade forum, which was seen as quite fair.
4. Resign Briere, Dumont, Hecht, Kotalik etc etc.
5. Resign Satan if step 3a fails
6. Acquire a top level D in FA {Sergei Gonchar in this case}. Pay him $4-4.5m or so a year.
7. Acquire a solid 2nd/3rd line centre via FA {Yanic Perreault?} Pay him $1-1.5m or so a year. Not sure who's available at this point, i went with Perreault cos he's a useful player, can put up decent points, great at faceoffs, decent two way.

Dumont-Briere-St. Louis
Hecht-Perreault-Kotalik
Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Gaustad-Mair
extras: Bartovic, Pominville, Paille, Thorburn, Taylor etc.

Kalinin-Gonchar
McKee-Lydman
Tallinder-Jillson
extras: Brown, Patrick?, Fitzpatrick

Noronen
Miller

It has an EA computer game look about it... but playoffs here we come!

Old
07-24-2005, 05:56 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Speculative salaries :

Hecht - $2.5m ($2.5m/yr for 4 years)
Briere - $3m ($3m/yr for 3 years)
Dumont - $2.5m ($2.5m/yr for 2 years)
Vanek - $950k
Connolly - $1.14m (10% qualifying offer)
Afinogenov - $1.5m (We'll say $1.5m/yr for 3 years)
Kotalik - $1.2m ($1.2m/yr for 2 years)
Roy - $782k
Pyatt - $1.036m (10% qualifying offer)
Mair - $450k
Gaustad - $450k
Bartovic - $450k
Taylor - $450k
Peters - $450k

Kalinin - 1.33m
Vishnevsky - 1.14m
Tallinder - $1m ($1m/yr for 3 years)
Babchuk - $900k
Jillson - $875k (10% qualifying offer)
McKee - 1.86m
Fitzy - $450k
Brown - $585k (10% qualifying offer)

Noronen - $665k
Aubin - $600k
Your salaries for Dumont, Briere, Hecht are waaaaay off after rollback. Briere was awarded a 1 yr/2.55 million dollar deal. After rollback, thats 1.938/year. Dumont, Hecht, should all be making much less. McKee will make less, as will Connolly and Pyatt. More realistic salaries:

Briere: 3 year, 6 million deal (1.75, 2, 2.25)
Dumont: 3 year, 5 million deal (1.25, 1.75, 2)
Hecht: 3 year, 5.25 million deal (1.5, 1.75, 2.25)
Afinogenov: 2 year, 2.5 million (1.25 both years)

These are all reasonable after rollback. If you look at the salary range now, Buffalo would have ALOT more cap room after your deal, esp. if you can get Drury to give up 1 million or so a year.

Old
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Your salaries for Dumont, Briere, Hecht are waaaaay off after rollback. Briere was awarded a 1 yr/2.55 million dollar deal. After rollback, thats 1.938/year. Dumont, Hecht, should all be making much less. McKee will make less, as will Connolly and Pyatt. More realistic salaries:

Briere: 3 year, 6 million deal (1.75, 2, 2.25)
Dumont: 3 year, 5 million deal (1.25, 1.75, 2)
Hecht: 3 year, 5.25 million deal (1.5, 1.75, 2.25)
Afinogenov: 2 year, 2.5 million (1.25 both years)

These are all reasonable after rollback. If you look at the salary range now, Buffalo would have ALOT more cap room after your deal, esp. if you can get Drury to give up 1 million or so a year.
I don't know, I think you're undervaluing the type of contract those guys would get. You might be right on the latter three, but I'm pretty sure Briere will get at least $8m over 3 years. There's no reason for him to take a deal that pays him less in the 1st year than the qualifying offer, and only $300k more than the qualifying offer figure in the 3rd year.

Old
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
JPurp26

ill probly forget someone but we need a young prospect d or sumthin
we sign amonte for cheap because philly got rid of him drop satan no grier

amonte-drury-vanek
hecht-briere-dumont
kotalik-Roy-afinogenov
peters-Gaustad-mair

get rid of boulton

extra scratches and call ups for forwards Pominivlle, Paille, Mike Ryan

defefense sign GONCHAR

Kalinin Gonchar
Mckee Jillson
Brown tallinder
patrick janik

patrick janik and fitzy are extras

only sign patrick if he signs cheap

goalies
Norenen
Miller

Bye Biron

THAT IS A PLAYOFF TEAM

Old
07-24-2005, 07:50 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
1a. Hecht-Briere-Dumont
1b. Vanek-Demitra-Kotalik/Pyatt
2a. Roy-Connolly-Afinogenov
2b. Peters-Guastad-Mair

1a. Kalinin-Foote
2b. Hamrlik-Jillson
3b. Tallinder-Brown/Fitzpatrick

1. Mika Noronen
2. Ryan Miller

Buy-Outs = Chris Drury and Jay Mckee.

Un-Tendered = Brian Campbell, Martin Biron, Miroslav Satan, Eric Boulton, and Mike Grier.

Free-Agent signings = Roman Hamrlik, Adam Foote, James Patrick, and Pavol Demitra.

Scratches = Taylor Pyatt and Kotalik split time, Rory Fitzpatrick and James Patrick.

Hope I didnt miss anyone!

Old
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Nobody wants to re-sign Zhitnik? Not even for $2-2.5M if Gandler will take it?

Old
07-24-2005, 08:23 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Nobody wants to re-sign Zhitnik? Not even for $2-2.5M if Gandler will take it?
At that price yes, but i doubt he will take it.

Old
07-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
At that price yes, but i doubt he will take it.
I like the ideas of Hamrlik and Foote being signed, which would make affording Z a tough pill. I'm wishy-washy on Gonchar (price and recent head injury), and definitely don't think that an oft-banged up Forsberg will earn the dough that he'll want. One wrong turn and his groin will blow up again. The Sabres have zero chance of landing St. Louis or a player of his calibre via trade due to lack of resources. The Sabres are still pretty young and will need leadership. For that reason, I'm not too keen on getting rid of Drury. Satan can walk, that's fine, but again you're losing a fair amount of experience in doing so.

Old
07-25-2005, 06:21 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Since everyone else is having some fun I thought I'd give it a shot.

First, I wouldn't do anything stupid at this point, like fire the GM, coach, head of scouting. Doing that now would be absolutely suicide.

Second, Id re-sign Henrik Tallinder, Jeff Jillson, Brad Brown, Brian Campbell for the defense, but then Id go out and make a run at Brian Rafalski 3 years $9.6 million ($3.2 m per). I'll move higher if I have to. If you
can't sign Brian than Zhitnik returning is an option or maybe Sandis Ozolinsh (yuk!).

Rafalski McKee
Kalinen Campbell
Tallinder Brown
Extras Jillson - Fitzpatrick

For the goalies, Id re-sign Biron but Id be trying to trade him or Noronen for some future draft picks (a 2nd and 4th).

Miller would have every shot at starting with the other guy backing up.

The forwards are a challenge.

Re-signing Daniel Briere is a must. Id also re-sign Afinogenov, Connolly, Dumont, Grier, Hecht, Kotalik and Pyatt. LW will be an issue.

Dany Heatley wants out of Atlanta, so Id trade Afinogenov and Pyatt plus a 2nd round pick and 4th in 2006 for him.

LW C RW

Hecht - Drury Dumont
Vanek - Briere Heatley
Kotalik - Roy Grier
Peters - Guastad - Mair

Extra Connolly

The first and second line they are interchangable so no one get their nickers in a twist over Heatley being on the second line. This team had speed, scoring, the ability to move the puck, the PP should be solid with Rafalski doing the QBing. I'd didn't spend 39 million, though I likely did get in the 32 to 35 million range. And the roster is 23 players. I feel bad the Bartovic didn't make the cut but you could always drop Connolly and call him up.

Last edited by krt88: 07-25-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old
07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Reshape the team?

Hmmmm....

Qualify nearly everyone and then have a serious conversation with Miro Satan, get to the bottom of where he is and see if he's willing to continue on in Buffalo. If not, I begin calling around to move him for the best package I can get, preferably for a decent defenseman.

I thank Eric Boulton for his services and sever ties. If he's willing to take a 2-way deal and is aware that he's likely ticket for the Amerks unless something drastic happens, I would consider bringing him back.

I work the phone with Gandler to get Zhitnik back into the fold for a reasonable amount prior to the Group V free period starting August 5th. For me, that's in the $2.8 million range for two seasons plus a team option. If he can't be brought back in, then I queue up that money for when the bidding starts after the 5th.

I go into team initiated arbitration with Pyatt, Connolly, Biron and Grier if I can. I haven't confirmed if the new CBA allows that with this series of signings but I believe that is possible. I figure I can realize a savings of a bit over a million per year for the four, freeing up some additional cap space.

I sit down with James Patrick and after an interview see if I feel he has anything left to contribute on the ice. If not, then I offer him a position as an assistant coach handling the D and the powerplay. I ask him to dedicate whatever he can to getting Jillson to think the game clearer, whether he's player or ass't. coach.

At this point, I know that I have a surplus of NHL forwards and a deficite on defense. I make up my list of free agent defensemen and program their agents' numbers into my speed dial. I place an order with Spot and have an intern bring me a mucho grande Mocha Shake every 3 hours from now until training camp opens. I start calling teams in cap jail and see if they are interested in working deals and who the other guys are going to buy out. On the minute I have the ability to start calling UFA's, I pick up the phone and don't set it down until I have another "A" list defenseman (or two "B" list guys). I work the phones 'til my ears bleed and my jaw cracks. I willingly listen to offers for anyone on the team.

I fire Luce and find some way to bribe St. Louis into letting me hire Jarmo Kekalainen.

I try my damnedest to get ahold of a legit first line talent. I would target the still suspended Todd Bertuzzi from Vancouver, the Garrioch-rumored unhappy RFA Dany Heatley from Atlanta, and the supposedly on-the-outs Joe Thornton from Boston. I work my tail off to acquire one of the three.

At this time, the competition roster I pencil in looks something like this:

Hecht - Briere - Dumont
Vanek - Connolly - Satan
Roy - Drury - Grier
Pyatt - Gaustad - Afinogenov
Peters - Mair - Kotalik

Bartovic - Thorburn - Pominville

Kalinin - Fitzpatrick
(Zhitnik) - Tallinder
McKee - Brown
Campbell - Jillson

Biron
Noronen
Miller

When I get done, I would hope to have something that looks like this:

Vanek - Connolly - Todd Bertuzzi
Hecht - Briere - Dumont
Roy - Drury - Grier
Peters - Gaustad - Kotalik
Spares: Mair and Bartovic

Kalinin - Steve Staios
Sergei Gonchar - Fitzpatrick
McKee - Jillson
Brown

Biron
Miller

The offense takes care of itself with a high-powered first line with two wingers who can generate loose pucks for Connolly. The second line can handle a strong 2-way game, the third gives them character and more than a bit of sandpaper while the fourth has size and can hit.

On defense, the unit as a whole can move the puck and provide offense as well as handle checking rolls.

And I like my goaltending.

Granted, this is all conjecture. I would be trading away Satan, Afinogenov, Tallinder, Noronen and any variety of picks or prospects to arrive at this chanceless dream.

07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
cybresabre
desire = √suffering

vCash: 1132
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Granted, this is all conjecture. I would be trading away Satan, Afinogenov, Tallinder, Noronen and any variety of picks or prospects to arrive at this chanceless dream.
Pyatt, too?

Would Heatley be anything more than a pipe dream?

Old
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Digable5

I think Regier has done a fine job with the payroll and contracts. He has put us in a favorable position heading into the new CBA. I definitely review decisions made in the draft and take actions were necessary to sure up our scouting department. I think Ruff is still a good coach, but with a wide open game his style may not be ideal. Resign Lindy but review for possible termination at the end of the year.

My biggest concern is to keep the team fairly young and inexpensive. I'm not interested throwing money at older veterans that were exiled from their previous team. That puts Amonte, Leclair, Nolan, etc... off of my radar. I'd certainly consider moves to acquire Heatley, but would concentrate on defensive reinforcements.

Dumont-Briere-Afinogenov
Hecht-Drury-Grier
Vanek-Connolly-Roy
Pyatt/Peters-Gaustad-Mair

extra:Kotalik, Pominville

Grier isn't a typical 2nd line player, but our 1a line is more of a checking group. Grier is big and mobile. A little over paid but maybe will take a paycut to play with Drury.

Satan is traded for a Dman.

Kalinin-(Satan's return)
Free agent-Tallinder
McKee-Brown
extra:Jillson, Fitzpatrick, Campbell

Biron, Noronen, and Miller
Depending on his value among other teams I would contemplate Biron being traded. I think Noronen and Miller would save money and possibly better prepared for the larger number of breakaways and the shootout.

Old
07-25-2005, 11:30 AM
jpb

Quote:

Old
07-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Takeo

I would decline qualifiers for Campbell, Boulton, and Grier. I would re-sign Biron and move him for a pick or prospect. I would pursue Foote and Zhitnik via free agency.

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Roy-Drury-Satan
Vanek-Connolly-Afinogenov
Pyatt-Mair-Kotalik
Bartovic, Peters

Kalinin-Foote
Tallinder-Zhitnik
McKee-Brown
Fitzpatrick, Jillson

Noronen
Miller

Payroll: ~$33M

Old
07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88
Dany Heatley wants out of Atlanta, so Id trade Afinogenov and Pyatt plus a 2nd round pick and 4th in 2006 for him.
Heatley would cost more than Vanek to get. Max and Pyatt don't have a chance to nab him, except as throw ins. Personally, I don't think we've got what it takes to grab Heatley from ATL.

Though Vanek, our 1st and someone not named Briere would be something to think about.

Ta,

Old
07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre
Pyatt, too?

Would Heatley be anything more than a pipe dream?

Yeah, Pyatt too. Missed that on the edit.

Heatley is going to be ridiculously expensive (like Vanek and more) IMHO. I think Bertuzzi, at his salary, age (30) and with the Moore Incident baggage is far more acquireable.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
jpb

Quote:
I think Bertuzzi, at his salary, age (30) and with the Moore Incident baggage is far more acquireable.
Depending on what Nonis wanted, I'd think that Satan plus a pick might do the trick nicely.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:51 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I would decline qualifiers for Campbell, Boulton, and Grier. I would re-sign Biron and move him for a pick or prospect. I would pursue Foote and Zhitnik via free agency.

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Roy-Drury-Satan
Vanek-Connolly-Afinogenov
Pyatt-Mair-Kotalik
Bartovic, Peters

Kalinin-Foote
Tallinder-Zhitnik
McKee-Brown
Fitzpatrick, Jillson

Noronen
Miller

Payroll: ~$33M
You would put Roy AHEAD of Vanek? I like the defensive shake up, but you have NO physical presence in the top 3 lines.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Rowley Birkin

Heatley. I thought i was aiming high with St. Louis

I can think of very few players i would rather have in a Sabres jersey than Heater. In fact, i think Marian Hossa is the only one. So lets make a proposal for him. Vanek, Drury, Biron, 1st for Hossa and a 4th

If i were to realistically 'reshape' the team, then this is what would happen.

1. Don't qualify Grier, Connolly, Campbell, Boulton.
2. Pick up option on Drury, Pyatt and Biron with more attractive contracts, and ship them off, packaged with some other players, or picks.
3. Acquire a good 3/4 D-man via trading a forward + picks {Toni Lydman for example}. I proposed Pyatt + 2nd for him on the trade forum, which was seen as quite fair.
4. Resign Satan, Briere, Dumont, Hecht, Kotalik etc etc.
6. Try to acquire a top level D like Gonchar in the FA's. Fail and end up with Z again, but at a more attractive salary.
7. This one is a reach. Trade Drury, Biron, and 1st round pick for Robert Lang and Jiri Fischer. See trade board for my reasoning.
8. Hope that one of Vanek, Kotalik, or Max are ready for 1st line minutes.

Vanek-Lang-Satan
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Kotalik-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Gaustad-Mair

extras: Bartovic, Pominville, Paille, Thorburn, Taylor etc.

Kalinin-Lydman
Zhitnik-Fischer
McKee-Jillson

extras: Tallinder, Brown, Patrick?, Fitzpatrick

Noronen
Miller

I actually like this team as much as my first one....

Old
07-25-2005, 01:25 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

The forwards situation is fairly fluid. Briere, Hecht, Dumont and Drury will all remain in the top 6, with Afinogenov, Connolly, Pyatt and Kotalik all given a shot to earn one of the remaining 2 spots, the other of which I fill with a decent FA.

I was another fan of the 'kid' line last year. Vanek - Roy - Afinogenov are pencilled in here, with an eye on making them the number 2 line next season. If Max sticks in the top 6, the remainder of those tryouts take a go at his slot, platoon style.

Kalinin - Rafalski
Rathje - McKee
Patrick - rotating cast of projects

I like the idea of moving James Patrick into the coaching staff. Whether he's still got a number on his back or not is immaterial. I want him to be bringing up these kids, and I want James to help me to cull the chaff from the wheat ... all y'all are on double-secret probation: Campbell, Jillson, Fitzpatrick and Tallinder. One of you is a top-4 guy, and the rest are manning the Frosty machine at Wendy's next year.

Closed Thread