HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biggest black eye on Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Biggest black eye on Hockey

What is the worst thing that has happened in Hockey that gave them the biggest black eye or the worst publicity. For example Baseball had the '94 strike or someone like John Rocker

- Bertuzzi on Moore in '04
- Shore hitting Ace Bailey over the head in 1933 ending his career. Bailey took it with grace and forgave Eddie.
- Marty McSorely's slash to the head of Brashear in '00
- The lockout in '04-05
- Alan Eagleson's corrupt leadership finally put to rest in '91
- Mike Danton's plot for murdering his own agent David Frost

Old
07-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
What is the worst thing that has happened in Hockey that gave them the biggest black eye or the worst publicity. For example Baseball had the '94 strike or someone like John Rocker

- Bertuzzi on Moore in '04
- Shore hitting Ace Bailey over the head in 1933 ending his career. Bailey took it with grace and forgave Eddie.
- Marty McSorely's slash to the head of Brashear in '00
- The lockout in '04-05
- Alan Eagleson's corrupt leadership finally put to rest in '91
- Mike Danton's plot for murdering his own agent David Frost

Graham James takes the cake, I believe.

I also will always wonder what has happened to Danton to make him so crazy...

Old
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
God Bless Canada

Mike Danton's murder for hire isn't the black eye. David Frost himself is the black eye. Had he succeeded, I would have nominated Danton for man of the year.

Graham James violated the sacred trust between coach and player. I don't think there can be anything worse than that. The 1994-95 lockout stunted the NHL's growth when it was gaining momentum in the U.S. Time will tell what the impact of the 2004-05 lockout will be.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Steelhead16

I think to the hockey insiders the Graham James situation was a huge deal, and on a personal level I agree that it was probably the worst incident ever in hockey. But I think as a single issue that gave hockey as a whole the biggest black eye it was the Bertuzzi on Moore incident. Just from the standpoint of getting the most publicity. I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. Graham James wasn't on every sports program in every city of the country, Bertuzzi and Moore was. Even the casual hockey fan has seen it and formed their own opinion. Some may have never seen hockey and don't want to see it after watching that. I don't want to seem like I'm downgrading what Graham James did, because it was a terrible thing done to many people but I think in shear magnitude, Bertuzzi is responsible for the biggest black eye. The lockout may overtake it but I think that still remains to be seen yet. Just my opinion.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
RangerBlues

Anytime Mike Milbury opens his mouth and pretends to know what he's talking about

Old
07-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Resolute

I was about to suggest the same thing. The saddest thing about the Danton case is that he failed. Who knows how many more kids Frost will brainwash now.

Though, hopefully this entire sordid affair has pretty much ended Frost's carreer. If that does happen, then Danton would have been able to save everyone without having a shot fired.

Off ice: Graham James is a pretty good pick.

On ice: hard to argue with Bertuzzi, especially at a time the NHL could least afford it.

How about Brett Hull's illegitimate cup winning goal? NHL gets a big black eye for enacting a stupid rule, and then failing to even enforce it's stupid rule.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:03 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

The Maple Leafs Garden scandal involving the molestation of Children. Without Question that's the worst black eye.

Old
07-27-2005, 03:28 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Graham James takes the cake, I believe.

I also will always wonder what has happened to Danton to make him so crazy...
What is the Graham James scandal about?

Old
07-27-2005, 03:41 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
What is the Graham James scandal about?
Sexual abuse of his junior hockey players.

This article will let you in on at least one part of his sick and twisted coaching career...

http://www.silent-edge.org/kennedy.html

Old
07-27-2005, 04:44 AM
reckoning

In 1989, before the truth about Graham James came out, the Hockey News picked him as the winner of their Man Of The Year Award. Bet they wish they could take that one back.

Old
07-27-2005, 06:06 AM
PRB

I say it has to be this lockout. This is a time when Media cover sports more than ever before. the UK even had articles in its papers about this lockout. Anything that ever happened in the history of the game before wont have got as much coverage or done as much damage as this lockout.

Old
07-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Jysk

Bertuzzi doesnt belong witk the others on that list. It was really bad luck what happend. I have seen many things on the rink that has been far more dirty

Old
07-27-2005, 08:39 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jysk
Bertuzzi doesnt belong witk the others on that list. It was really bad luck what happend. I have seen many things on the rink that has been far more dirty
You forgot to put the or the in your post, it almost looks like you were being serious.

Old
07-27-2005, 08:45 AM
RorschachWJK

Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
You forgot to put the or the in your post, it almost looks like you were being serious.
I presume he is serious and I agree with him. It doesn't compare to the off ice black eyes mentioned. On ice the Ace Bailey/Eddie Shore and Ted Green/Wayne Maki incidents were more vicious.
My vote is for Calgary making it to the Stanley Cup final in 2003-04.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Malefic74

How about the Richard Riots? The timing of Campbell's decision came at exactly the wrong time as the entire province of Quebec was a powder keg waiting to go off. Maybe it wound up as a riot about French/English relations, but people always remember it started with an ugly incident on the ice.

The US Olympic hockey team destroys their rooms at the Nagano Olympics. Pretty classy gentlemen, hope you're proud of yourselves.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
How about the Richard Riots? The timing of Campbell's decision came at exactly the wrong time as the entire province of Quebec was a powder keg waiting to go off. Maybe it wound up as a riot about French/English relations, but people always remember it started with an ugly incident on the ice.

The US Olympic hockey team destroys their rooms at the Nagano Olympics. Pretty classy gentlemen, hope you're proud of yourselves.
I agree that the act itself definitely belongs to this list. However, I wouldn't blame the whole team for it. They had a couple of class A idiots who were probably responsible for the whole thing. Chelios and Tkachuk come to mind.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

This is Al Eagleson and Graham James in a two horse race. They were high profile hockey men who abused their power.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:29 AM
doc5hole

As a journalist, I'm constantly subjected to the media stereotypes that haunt hockey, its players and, particularly, incidents like the ones involving Bertuzzi and McSorley. IMO those hate the sport and ridicule it citing these events will do the same to anything they don't happen to like. This is especially true in the media. IMO, both were cases of powerful men doing a lot more damage than they had intended. McLaren was similarly villified for his 2002 hit on Zednik, though he had no motive and no history. He just did way more damage than intended, and after the league cowered to the media pressure outside hockey, it ultimately cost Boston the series. Ironically, Brashear had left his feet on an icing chase to try and hurt McLaren in the waning seconds of a decided game when McSorley decided to go after him. Like road rage, only severe punishment maintains any semblance of order, but the one you hear about for 10 years isn't necessarily the baddest guy in the story. There are categorically dirty players who, for whatever lucky reason, never become objectified like these. You can make your own list. I'll start mine with the "innocent" victim in the Bertuzzi case.

IMO, tied with Alan Eagleson, Graham James and what went on at MLG, hockey's biggest black eye is an ongoing two-part story that starts with the expansion from 21 to 30 and includes the migration to points South. The selling out of hockey fans for the sake of potentially greater bucks from the Southern belt of the U.S., primarily if network TV jumps on board. During this era, the common fan (the real hockey fan) has been priced out and shoved to the back of the arena by corporate interests, suites and premium seating.
Part 2 is the gutting of the game itself of all that is sacred in order to make this plan (i.e sell the game to non-hockey fans) convenient for TV.
The gimmickery is really starting to take over. Some rule changes make sense, but not the red line and not the shootout.
If things go the way the NHL wants them to, NBC is going to come along at some point and say "Your 1 p.m. game as to end by 4 for our NBA game." And it'll happen in the playoffs; what do you think they'll do, think about how badly it will disappoint the good people of Medicine Hat or Peabody, Mass., to see the shootout in the Stanley Cup? How about two halves instead of three periods? Got make it more accessible for those NASCAR fans. Or else what? The NHL doesn't become the megabuck league it wants to be because it's only business?
That's a black eye for the hockey guy.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
MightyMite

However, your Part 2 hasn't happened yet. Let us see where the rule changes bring the game. I believe if things really go the way the NHL wants them to, NBC will say to their viewers "we'll be joining your NBA game after overtime is finished, whenever that may be. Probably won't be long; ever since they made the rule changes scoring has risen exponentially."

Graham James and MLG are the worst incidents off ice.

Bertuzzi-Moore and Bailey-Shore are my picks on ice for the NHL.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
FleuryFan

Graham James without a doubt

I think he is far and away the winner in this awful race. He robbed dozens of young hockey players of their youth and their ability to trust and love. He was, and still is a disgrace to the sport. This issue is not only in the realm of off-ice. Think of the careers that never came to fruition or the ones that were cut short because of the pain endured by Graham. Alan Eagleson however awful his crimes were (and they were atrocious is as well), they were at least committed on adults, not children. I think that is what gives the edge to Graham. It is sickening that he is still coaching hockey.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:53 PM
CivicSI_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
I presume he is serious and I agree with him. It doesn't compare to the off ice black eyes mentioned. On ice the Ace Bailey/Eddie Shore and Ted Green/Wayne Maki incidents were more vicious.
My vote is for Calgary making it to the Stanley Cup final in 2003-04.
The Bertuzzi incident wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Bert hadn't tripped over the stick. Bert meant to sucker punch him, no denying that. He never meant to drive him head first into the ice, no one is that stupid. I'm not trying to condone it at all, just saying it ended up far worse than Bert expected.....

....although what I find interesting is how the Perezhogin incident hasn't shown up here anywhere. That was just as bad as what Bertuzzi had done, yet I have literally seen Bert's incident 1000 times on tv, while Perezhogin's has been basically forgiven and forgotten?

Old
07-27-2005, 03:00 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Sexual abuse of his junior hockey players.

This article will let you in on at least one part of his sick and twisted coaching career...

http://www.silent-edge.org/kennedy.html
Thanks for the link. I thought it was abuse of juniors but wasnt sure about it.

Old
07-27-2005, 03:13 PM
ClassicHockey

I hope you are joking or maybe you never saw the actual hit. That assault on Moore by Bertuzzi was premeditated and viscious and he created himself any 'bad luck'. You must have been joking.

Anyways, I was told this by someone who was informed on the discussions about the new TV contract between carriers and the NHL: When the Bertuzzi incident had all that play in the states, it was felt by the broadcasters that it was extremely damaging to the kind of entertainment that the networks wanted to air. It was mentioned that the Bertuzzi incident had a great hand in diminishing the rights fees for any TV games the NHL could sell. In fact, that is what happened with ESPN making a lower offer and NBC offering nothing. It wasn't just the poor ratings.

So, I would say, because of the airtime the Bertuzzi incident received in the States as opposed to other incidents, and the effect it had on the perception of the game, that the Bertuzzi hit, more than any other on-ice incident was the biggest black mark on the game.

Going back in time, I believe that the advent of the goon hockey of the Flyers in the 70's, also had a great negative effect on the game and turned off many more fans than it attracted. More than anything, the thuggery of the Flyers contributed to the poor image of the game in the States. That is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jysk

Old
07-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Malefic74

One could argue that the entire Gil Stein era of the NHL was a black eye for hockey, but it does pale in comparison when compared to Eagleson and James.

Another just occured to me: the World Juniors in Russia where the game was ended because of a bench claering brawl between Canada and Russia. Remember? The one where they had to turn the lights out. The only good thing about that was the the WJC wasn't nearly as hyped and covered then as it is now, and it was in Russia so it wasn't exactly primetime. Nevertheless it certainly didn't help hockey's reputation, or Team Canada's for that matter.

Closed Thread