HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One more year

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Tb0ne

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
One more year

As Canucks fans over the past half decade we've often been left saying "wait till next year" after anual early playoff exits that have been blamed on everything from the leadership of Naslund to the goaltending of Cloutier. We go into this season with many questions surrounding our team, one of which is, will it even be together again?

Some fans seem okay with the idea of changing the core of the team, but there is nothing more I would like to see than for this core (and the supporting class) to take one last stab at winning a cup.

Am I alone here?

While I'm not against tweaking and adding a player here and there, something just seems right about trying to keep them together for one more year. I still believe the team we had could win a cup, especially in today's NHL, I just want to see them get their chance.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The core is fine of the team, however the Canucks management has failed to add the extra peices of the puzzle.

Think of the Canucks with these minor upgrades.

McCarty replaces May.

Canucks sign Kariya, give them a top 6 forward they've needed forever.

Canucks somehow acquire a physical dman (via trade or free agency)

Does that improve the team? Yes. The problem is the Canucks have yet to do this. Will this be the year? Hopefully.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:40 AM
GJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne
As Canucks fans over the past half decade we've often been left saying "wait till next year" after anual early playoff exits that have been blamed on everything from the leadership of Naslund to the goaltending of Cloutier. We go into this season with many questions surrounding our team, one of which is, will it even be together again?

Some fans seem okay with the idea of changing the core of the team, but there is nothing more I would like to see than for this core (and the supporting class) to take one last stab at winning a cup.

Am I alone here?

While I'm not against tweaking and adding a player here and there, something just seems right about trying to keep them together for one more year. I still believe the team we had could win a cup, especially in today's NHL, I just want to see them get their chance.
Amen.

I don't want to see anyone go that doesn't need to. Our time is now.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne

Am I alone here?

This is a good team. They are getting into their prime (except Linden). They need something like Detroit's Draper-Maltby-? line. And a physical d-man. But the core is solid.

I don't see why you say 'one more year'. The team could conceivably stay together for another 4-5. Detroit, Dallas, even Jersey had solid teams on which there were some older guys in their thirties. Why not here too? The only reason to break up the team would be to re-tool, in case it became obvious that the core couldn't advance well into the playoffs. Is that obvious now? Some would say 'yes' and some would disagree with that.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
Canucks somehow acquire a physical dman (via trade or free agency)
Mike Rathje?

Old
07-27-2005, 02:35 AM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
Mike Rathje?
He'd fit great. I definetely sign him if the price were right. Forsberg, and Rathje would complete our team IMO. Niedermayer would be great, but our defense doesn't really NEED a major addition. Of course Nieds is special and you have to find room for him, but I'd take Forsberg over him anyways.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
I don't see why you say 'one more year'.
The new CBA seems like it will be harder to keep teams together for extended periods of time, especially with the new rules on UFA's. Also there is the questions surrounding Naslund and Bertuzzi and how long they will want to stay in Vancouver. Then it comes to Cloutier, I can't see him staying here long term unless he plays well next season and playoffs.

Things can obvioulsy change based on success...

As for adding pieces, I'm completely for that, but I'd hate to see Jovo or someone like that shipped off to make it happen, know what I mean?

Closed Thread