HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #26|Sat., Nov. 30, 2013| Flyers at Predators |8:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2013, 04:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I agree. However, Gus also went for a double whammy the previous game, i.e. two turnovers on the same shift.
No one is saying that Gus hasn't ****ed up this season but he's been better then Mez in virtually every way. He's also the one with substantially less then 100 NHL games played compared to a guy who's closing in on his 550th regular season NHL game and is also four years older. Of the two, it's more exceptable for Gus to be making mistakes. Though that shouldn't even matter because as I've said Gus has better in almost every conceivable way this season. The numbers are there to back it up.

It may not be a huge deal but I think Gus has the potential to be a top 4 d-man. It's just not good asset management IMO.

Old
11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Hardnell

Mason Mason Mason... just something about left handed goalies

Old
11-30-2013, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
Lately they've been better. Read, McGinn, Rinaldo, Lauridsen, are all later round picks who are doing pretty good picks/pickups. The Flyers have been far from a perfect drafting, FAR from it, but late round picks who turn out to be above average NHL players are pretty rare. Unless you're the Red WIngs

Read technically a pick, but its the same thing.
I don't think you can conclude that 'lately they've been better.' By accounts here (regardless of who or how many people disagree), McGinn, Rinaldo, and Lauridsen are all non-first round picks who look like they could be serviceable players, not much different from Ruzicka, Guenin, and Potulny got their first chances when we all said the same thing. They're just the next few guys in line who the Flyers haven't given up on yet. The Flyers have not earned the right to assume otherwise until they are consistently producing serviceable players, even if they're trade bait. It's no mistake that during this same time frame, the Phantoms have consistently been a terrible.

I don't think given the resources this organization has, to be critical when they give up on guys as soon as they do is not out of bounds. You're right that it's rare, but there's no reason they shouldn't at least have better luck. When they leave, it's often not a tough decision. Beyond that, as I mentioned, guys we pick in the 4th round are often the 2nd or 3rd guy we pick - every year (not some years when teams have 4 2nd round picks and other years have none). For most other teams its not, at the very least they move around the draft. Their comments about Goulbourne were appalling. To draft him, fine, but to take him in the 3rd round because you just wanted to make sure you got him (and not attempt to move down in the draft) - and admit you didn't take the best player available (in the draft, or at a position) is not good enough for the organization that 'does everything they can to win.' To not draft, develop, and keep a defensemen long-term since they drafted Chris Therien - more than 20 years ago - is likewise abhorrent. That's not even tough luck, or being hit-or-miss, that is outright ineptitude. The Flyers just cover it up because they have good regular seasons.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Old
11-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
You're always just looking for star power, and not taking into account the team as a whole. I remember you doing the same when saying how terrible the Devils were supposed to be.

Mazanec has shown he can hold his own, and while he isn't Rinne, he is good enough not to be discredited as a bad goalie. In fact, he seems to be on quite a roll and can put up a performance that matches, say, Mason's. So then it just depends on how well he'll do on this particular night. Having Weber out is definitely a big blow to the team, but it's just one defender, and other teams, such as Tampa, have shown, it's not about one guy. Forsberg is an absolute non-factor, while Klein is replaceable.
...So because I mentioned it one other time about one other team that also didn't have any star power I'm obsessed with it? Wow, there's some extrapolation there.

Name one team that does well by the time the playoffs are said and done that didn't have at least one considerable star player on it. I'll be waiting. The Devils are forced to score by committee because they don't have any notable firepower at forward or on D and because their D as a whole is very largely unimpressive. They'll be lucky if they make the playoffs and they certainly won't make it past the second round at best if they do. Or are you telling me losing big stars like Parise and Kovalchuk for nothing hasn't coincidentally aligned with their downfall as a team?

Nashville is missing their best D that the team is built around utterly and completely. They're also missing their only proven goalie and several quality depth players. That's all disregarding the fact that Nashville is a weak team to begin with.

They're about as good as us when healthy but the difference is they're really banged up with injuries to roster players (some big name ones at that) and we're completely healthy. Are you telling me this isn't the type of game it wouldn't be upsetting to lose? Because I don't understand your point here.

Scoring by committee has never proven to work for any team since I've started watching the NHL. Not when there isn't high quality players (AKA star players) to lead the way and be consistent forces.

Old
11-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I agree. However, Gus also went for a double whammy the previous game, i.e. two turnovers on the same shift.
Difference is that Meszaros has been horrible in pretty much every game he's played this season (and for longer then that really) and Gustafsson is a home-grown talent who could have a future here even if it is as a minor player. Meszaros should be gone after this season or even sooner if they decide to dump him finally.

There's literally no reason for Meszaros to be on this roster let alone to play him. If they want to punish Gustafsson then fine reduce his ice-time or play Gill. At least Gill hasn't been given much of a chance and he's played well (or at least better then Meszaros) when given the chance to play.

Old
11-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Of late Gus has been pretty brutal. Arguing Gus over Mez is splitting hairs in my opinion.
Noooo.

Gus has what, one or two bad games? Every game by Mez has been brutal.

11-30-2013, 05:24 PM
MadFerIt95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't think you can conclude that 'lately they've been better.' By accounts here (regardless of who or how many people disagree), McGinn, Rinaldo, and Lauridsen are all non-first round picks who look like they could be serviceable players, not much different from Ruzicka, Guenin, and Potulny got their first chances when we all said the same thing. They're just the next few guys in line who the Flyers haven't given up on yet. The Flyers have not earned the right to assume otherwise until they are consistently producing serviceable players, even if they're trade bait. It's no mistake that during this same time frame, the Phantoms have consistently been a terrible.

I don't think given the resources this organization has, to be critical when they give up on guys as soon as they do is not out of bounds. You're right that it's rare, but there's no reason they shouldn't at least have better luck. When they leave, it's often not a tough decision. Beyond that, as I mentioned, guys we pick in the 4th round are often the 2nd or 3rd guy we pick - every year (not some years when teams have 4 2nd round picks and other years have none). For most other teams its not, at the very least they move around the draft. Their comments about Goulbourne were appalling. To draft him, fine, but to take him in the 3rd round because you just wanted to make sure you got him (and not attempt to move down in the draft) - and admit you didn't take the best player available (in the draft, or at a position) is not good enough for the organization that 'does everything they can to win.' To not draft, develop, and keep a defensemen long-term since they drafted Chris Therien - more than 20 years ago - is likewise abhorrent. That's not even tough luck, or being hit-or-miss, that is outright ineptitude. The Flyers just cover it up because they have good regular seasons.
I agree with the Goulbourne thing. I think he could be a good player, but we could have gotten a better player in the third round and draft him at earliest in the 4th round. I like the Hagg pick in the second round though. I'm not going to sit and here and pretend to be a draft scout, cause I never watch Junior hockey, but I was reading a lot of mock drafts prior to the draft and a lot of people had Hagg going in the top 25 and we got him in the mid second round. I think Morin can be the next really good Flyers D man, but you're right, we can't just assume he is. Just hope he stays healthy and does all the right things. I was kind of hoping we picked Zadarov but it's whatever.

And I meant to say Read technically ISN'T a pick in my first reply

Old
11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
The Nightman Cometh

Tonight, basically it's first goal wins. If we concede early, turn it off. We don't come from behind, neither do they.

Old
11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Thinking about it 8 and 9 ET are my least favourite start times.

Finishes early enough to justify staying up... (unlike 10 and 10.30) lose an extra few hours sleep... and they are guaranteed not to be on European TV... they always take the 7pm and then a 10pm.

Though on a weekend I could not care less about start time either.

10 and 10.30 weekend games are actually pretty perfect, as I can get in from a night out and stick it straight on!

Old
11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
No one is saying that Gus hasn't ****ed up this season but he's been better then Mez in virtually every way. He's also the one with substantially less then 100 NHL games played compared to a guy who's closing in on his 550th regular season NHL game and is also four years older. Of the two, it's more exceptable for Gus to be making mistakes. Though that shouldn't even matter because as I've said Gus has better in almost every conceivable way this season. The numbers are there to back it up.

It may not be a huge deal but I think Gus has the potential to be a top 4 d-man. It's just not good asset management IMO.
I'm not sure what exceptable means, but I don't think it's acceptable for any of the two to be making the mistakes they're making. But if you read what I wrote above, you'd have noticed I was saying I thought Gus has been the better of the two. I also said I prefer to have him in the lineup. I'm not sure about his potential, and I guess top 4 is kind of a wishy-washy term anyway, so yeah, I might even agree on that. Hard to say, though. I had and have high hopes for him, but every time I see him I'm kind of lukewarm about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
...So because I mentioned it one other time about one other team that also didn't have any star power I'm obsessed with it? Wow, there's some extrapolation there.
Yup. A program isn't just pieces of code, it's pieces of code and how they fit into the structure, i.e. the algorithm. Golden code, broken algorithm, bad program. Average code, great algorithm, somewhat better program.

Quote:
Name one team that does well by the time the playoffs are said and done that didn't have at least one considerable star player on it. I'll be waiting.
I thought this was a regular season game.

Quote:
Nashville is missing their best D that the team is built around utterly and completely. They're also missing their only proven goalie and several quality depth players. That's all disregarding the fact that Nashville is a weak team to begin with.
Who cares about the goalie being proven or not. Mazanec has played well, and he can put up a stellar performance. But I also think they're not as strong as we are in general.

Quote:
They're about as good as us when healthy but the difference is they're really banged up with injuries to roster players (some big name ones at that) and we're completely healthy. Are you telling me this isn't the type of game it wouldn't be upsetting to lose? Because I don't understand your point here.
My point is they're good enough to beat us, but I agree it would upsetting if we lose against them. That is, if we play our "average" game and lose, it will be upsetting, but nothing to stress about, because Nashville is still good enough to perform above that norm on some occasions, even with a couple of players out.

Quote:
Difference is that Meszaros has been horrible in pretty much every game he's played this season (and for longer then that really) and Gustafsson is a home-grown talent who could have a future here even if it is as a minor player. Meszaros should be gone after this season or even sooner if they decide to dump him finally.

There's literally no reason for Meszaros to be on this roster let alone to play him. If they want to punish Gustafsson then fine reduce his ice-time or play Gill. At least Gill hasn't been given much of a chance and he's played well (or at least better then Meszaros) when given the chance to play.
Yeah, I hope they get rid of Meszaros, as well. I'll think about this some more, and maybe I'll change my mind in regards to how much of a difference having one vs. the other in the roster would make on the game. I mean, my preference right now is Gus > Gill > Mez, but I'm just not sure whether it makes any difference one way or the other anyway.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Now you're going on about random coding analogies that make no sense in context?

I'm still confused what you're point is. Were you trying to call me out randomly about something completely arbitrary? My original post was about this being a very upsetting game to lose because the Nashville team we're playing is banged up with their best players and some depth ones. You agree on that so I have no idea why the hell you're arguing with me.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:16 PM
MadFerIt95*

Auburn-Alabama has been a HELLUVA GAME! So glad the FLyers start at 8 tonight

Old
11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
MadFerIt95*

That was the greatest finish to a sports game I have EVER seen... next to DeSean's punt return

Old
11-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
That was the greatest finish to a sports game I have EVER seen... next to DeSean's punt return
just wow can't believe i witnessed that

Old
11-30-2013, 06:33 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Anybody who watched that game saw an instant classic.

Always beautiful seeing Bama lose.

11-30-2013, 06:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

That ending was ****ing epic.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
if i was the guy who took the timeout or the punter i wont be able to sleep for days

Old
11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

People around here talk about Gus like were benching ray borque

Old
11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
MadFerIt95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
No, we're talking like we're playing Andrej Meszaros lol

Old
11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
MadFerIt95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
if i was the guy who took the timeout or the punter i wont be able to sleep for days

Actually it was a missed field goal that was brought back, Nick Saban should have gone for the Hail MAry imo, Alabama couldnt BUY a made field goal today, made no sense to try a 57 yarder. But I'll take, I wanted ANYONE to beat bama this year

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old
11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post

I don't know how I'm supposed to watch this game after seeing that.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old
11-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Legion of Gloom
The Holy Ghost

vCash: 112280
Mez will score tonight

Old
11-30-2013, 07:01 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Gus isn't nearly as good as people around here make him out to be. Benchin him for Mez is a lateral move at worst.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Compared to Mez, he might as well be. It's not about how good Gus is, it's about how bad Mez is and how much he hurts the team.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:03 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Compared to Mez, he might as well be. It's not about how good Gus is, it's about how bad Mez is and how much he hurts the team.
They're both bad and they both hurt the team. It doesn't really matter which one is actively hurting us.

Closed Thread