HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Bruins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
  #351
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
a) When the best goalie of the generation is giving up a softy a game, who the **** cares? Lundqvist being great in seasons past have zero bearing on this season.
And 26 games of this season, with a strange on-the-road training camp, a new coach, new equipment, new rules, and a new system probably isn't cause to decide to move on from one of the two best players in your franchise's modern history. He's not 37 years old.

By the way, in the same 18 game stretch I mentioned before, the stretch that takes out that initial brutal start by this team, Lundqvist has given up 28 goals in 13 games. That is a 2.15 goals against average. Far more Lundqvist-like than his 2.51 on the season, and not too shabby.

Quote:
b) In a salary cap world Lundqvist's contract and future contract will hamper our ability to get goal scoring. So in a way yes he is the problem.
I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist's contract will have practically no impact on the Rangers' ability to improve their offensive woes, because you very rarely get gamebreaking offensive talent on the open market. You have to draft and develop it. Name me the last great center that was available on the free agent market? Or even the trade market? Center is this team's biggest problem, and the fact that they had virtually no choice but to sign Richards to a horrible contract tells you what you can get on the open market. Lundqvist will make a lot of money, perhaps more money than you'd like to pay a goaltender in a salary cap league, but if ever there was a player that you make that sort of exception for, it is the player that has been easily the biggest reason that your team isn't a laughingstock.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
  #352
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Seriously, are you related to Girardi?
I like the irony of Girardi's biggest fanboy saying someone is watching a game through (blank player's) colored glasses. I think shon goes to sleep and kisses a Girardi picture that he puts under his pillow.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:02 PM
  #353
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal
 
Kahuna Nanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 64,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue35 View Post
still don't see how the gwg was a soft goal. Give any player with a lethal shot that time and space and they will put that past any goalie. Just because there is no deflection or screen on the play does not automatically qualify it as 100% stoppable.
I still agree with this. If you give Chara that much time, 1-on-1 with the goalie to take a bomb, there's a good chance it's going to the back of the net no matter who's in net.

__________________
Kahuna Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
  #354
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
I thought McDonagh and Stralman were better. Moore was decent, too. The play he made on the two one one was quite nice, but I just thought he was running around in the D zone a bit, turning pucks over and losing races. He looks very slow out there, both in his skating and decision making.
Sorry, Moore was mediocre. He had a bad giveaway, He is still light on his skates, needs another 15 pounds to be effective.
Maybe McDonagh was close, but no way Stralman was in the same area code defensively. He was good skating the puck out of the zone. I didn't see any of them use the body as consistently as Girardi.
I did not see him running around, he was everywhere is the way I would describe it. Along the wall, in front of the net, pinching to keep the puck in.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
  #355
TrueBlue9
Registered User
 
TrueBlue9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I'm a huge fan of his but this may have arguably been Marc Staal's worst game as a Ranger. Directly responsible for 2 Bruin goals. Could have been 3 sans a post. The worst part about todays loss was "the core" failed today. Callahan, Staal, Lundqvist all playing with their head in the clouds.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:05 PM
  #356
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I like the irony of Girardi's biggest fanboy saying someone is watching a game through (blank player's) colored glasses. I think shon goes to sleep and kisses a Girardi picture that he puts under his pillow.
Why the name calling? Just because he disagrees with your version of reality, he is a fanboy?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:08 PM
  #357
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Apparently McKenzie said "they're going over their options, but they're going to trade him".

Why not play him while they're doing so?

His value is plummeting with the constant scratches. Starting to fear the return we get for him.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:09 PM
  #358
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
And 26 games of this season, with a strange on-the-road training camp, a new coach, new equipment, new rules, and a new system probably isn't cause to decide to move on from one of the two best players in your franchise's modern history. He's not 37 years old.

By the way, in the same 18 game stretch I mentioned before, the stretch that takes out that initial brutal start by this team, Lundqvist has given up 28 goals in 13 games. That is a 2.15 goals against average. Far more Lundqvist-like than his 2.51 on the season, and not too shabby.



I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist's contract will have practically no impact on the Rangers' ability to improve their offensive woes, because you very rarely get gamebreaking offensive talent on the open market. You have to draft and develop it. Name me the last great center that was available on the free agent market? Or even the trade market? Center is this team's biggest problem, and the fact that they had virtually no choice but to sign Richards to a horrible contract tells you what you can get on the open market. Lundqvist will make a lot of money, perhaps more money than you'd like to pay a goaltender in a salary cap league, but if ever there was a player that you make that sort of exception for, it is the player that has been easily the biggest reason that your team isn't a laughingstock.
Well you can thank the defense for the 2.15 GAA mostly. Dude had 2 fantastic games and some fantastic parts of games (Pittsburgh). Otherwise he's been average at best. The defense never gets credit because people love Lundqvist and also enjoy trashing the team. The guy gives up a softy a game now, including some 1 goal games and the Florida game where he let them back in the game. The guy is practically a liability. He hasn't even had to stand on his head outside of those softies. How many cups has this great goaltender won for the team? Don't like the cap reason, we can trade for picks and some young talent (doubt we're getting an established first liner). Maybe if we trade him we can at least get a decent pick for a year or two because we're not as good and a decent pick from a trade. The guy is 32. it's highly likely we've seen the best of him. You don't need elite goalies in this league anymore. Teams are so good at playing defensive systems and our D is good enough to get a solid but not spectacular goalie, get picks, get cap space etc. This path we're going on now we'll have an old expensive goalie that gets us 1st round exists and frustration.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
  #359
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Why the name calling? Just because he disagrees with your version of reality, he is a fanboy?
How is that name calling? He's a fanboy because he defends Girardi in every thread it seems, the guy hasn't been that good all season.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:14 PM
  #360
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Why is Hank a problem when the team can't score consistently? The D and Hank were not the problem and haven't been the problem for a long while now. It's the offense that's struggling.

Quite amusing actually.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:15 PM
  #361
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
How is that name calling? He's a fanboy because he defends Girardi in every thread it seems, the guy hasn't been that good all season.
I strongly disagree with that.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:21 PM
  #362
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well you can thank the defense for the 2.15 GAA mostly. Dude had 2 fantastic games and some fantastic parts of games (Pittsburgh). Otherwise he's been average at best. The defense never gets credit because people love Lundqvist and also enjoy trashing the team. The guy gives up a softy a game now, including some 1 goal games and the Florida game where he let them back in the game. The guy is practically a liability. He hasn't even had to stand on his head outside of those softies. How many cups has this great goaltender won for the team? Don't like the cap reason, we can trade for picks and some young talent (doubt we're getting an established first liner). Maybe if we trade him we can at least get a decent pick for a year or two because we're not as good and a decent pick from a trade. The guy is 32. it's highly likely we've seen the best of him. You don't need elite goalies in this league anymore. Teams are so good at playing defensive systems and our D is good enough to get a solid but not spectacular goalie, get picks, get cap space etc. This path we're going on now we'll have an old expensive goalie that gets us 1st round exists and frustration.
Practically a liability...lol. Okay. I actually don't think the defense has been all that good this season. They've been largely inconsistent. I think Callahan hasn't played his best hockey this season, which is a big part of this team's defense.

Who cares how soft the goals a guy gives up are if he's only giving up 2 of them per game? If the team had an offense, they'd be winning most of those games. BTW, Lundqvist stood on his head to win that Dallas game, which was just a few games ago. It was one of the best periods of his career. In his last 13 games, he's given up more than 3 goals once. He's given up 2 goals or less 9 times.

No, Lundqvist hasn't won us a cup. But how is that his fault, or for that matter, the fault of his cap hit? This team hasn't won a cup because the team is managed by people that don't understand how to draft and develop elite offensive talent.

The notion of trading Henrik Lundqvist away at the age of 32 because of less than 10 games of Cam Talbot is the definition of the word "rash." No, you don't need to have elite goaltending to win in today's NHL, but having it doesn't hurt. And you never know when you're going to be able to find it again. Just look at the Flyers.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:26 PM
  #363
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,673
vCash: 500
I really did not think Girardi was noticeably bad. He made some really nice outlet passes in the first, which is a skill he has been getting a lot of flack for this season.

Then like the rest of the group his play fell off a cliff for the last 40 min. Not good, but not horrible. Decidedly mediocre.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:30 PM
  #364
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Practically a liability...lol. Okay. I actually don't think the defense has been all that good this season. They've been largely inconsistent. I think Callahan hasn't played his best hockey this season, which is a big part of this team's defense.

Who cares how soft the goals a guy gives up are if he's only giving up 2 of them per game? If the team had an offense, they'd be winning most of those games. BTW, Lundqvist stood on his head to win that Dallas game, which was just a few games ago. It was one of the best periods of his career. In his last 13 games, he's given up more than 3 goals once. He's given up 2 goals or less 9 times.

No, Lundqvist hasn't won us a cup. But how is that his fault, or for that matter, the fault of his cap hit? This team hasn't won a cup because the team is managed by people that don't understand how to draft and develop elite offensive talent.

The notion of trading Henrik Lundqvist away at the age of 32 because of less than 10 games of Cam Talbot is the definition of the word "rash." No, you don't need to have elite goaltending to win in today's NHL, but having it doesn't hurt. And you never know when you're going to be able to find it again. Just look at the Flyers.
Maybe because he would be giving up fewer goals than that if he didn't give up the softies. Also soft goals in inopportune times is kick in the nuts mentally. He hasn't had to be amazing outside of the Dallas and LA games, beginning of the Penguins game and a few other points in the season (since the poor start that I absolve him of).

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:31 PM
  #365
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
I'm a huge fan of his but this may have arguably been Marc Staal's worst game as a Ranger. Directly responsible for 2 Bruin goals. Could have been 3 sans a post. The worst part about todays loss was "the core" failed today. Callahan, Staal, Lundqvist all playing with their head in the clouds.
This is exactly how I feel... It is a good thing to see as a fan that this team has a good amount of home grown players, but I'm definitely coming to the realization that some of these players are NOT going to get the team to the next level.


I think Staal's game looks very different then it did before the eye injury, he just kinda seems "there".

Lundqvist, while I don't think he has been terrible. He has definitely let in some goals this season that I'm not used to seeing....and I think he would admit that himself.

Callahan doesn't seem to be throwing the body as much as he used to, I haven't noticed him nearly enough this season.

Girardi just "is what he is". It's great that the guy has had a solid NHL career for being undrafted....but his greatest asset is his shot-blocking and not much else.

I'm not knocking these guys, because I like all of them. It's just evident that there is a lot of work that needs to be done to this team to make them a contender.

No matter what, this team is still 100% better to watch and root for then the years between 98-04

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:32 PM
  #366
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal
 
Kahuna Nanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 64,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Practically a liability...lol. Okay. I actually don't think the defense has been all that good this season. They've been largely inconsistent. I think Callahan hasn't played his best hockey this season, which is a big part of this team's defense.

Who cares how soft the goals a guy gives up are if he's only giving up 2 of them per game? If the team had an offense, they'd be winning most of those games. BTW, Lundqvist stood on his head to win that Dallas game, which was just a few games ago. It was one of the best periods of his career. In his last 13 games, he's given up more than 3 goals once. He's given up 2 goals or less 9 times.

No, Lundqvist hasn't won us a cup. But how is that his fault, or for that matter, the fault of his cap hit? This team hasn't won a cup because the team is managed by people that don't understand how to draft and develop elite offensive talent.

The notion of trading Henrik Lundqvist away at the age of 32 because of less than 10 games of Cam Talbot is the definition of the word "rash." No, you don't need to have elite goaltending to win in today's NHL, but having it doesn't hurt. And you never know when you're going to be able to find it again. Just look at the Flyers.
Honestly man, I think Callahan has been straight up terrible thus far and it's a big reason for this team's current struggles. He has been a near non factor/offensive buzzkill since the win against Columbus, IMO. I don't know why, but his play has fallen dramatically since then. 1 goal and 3 points in 10 games since that game. No goals in 7 games. I know +/- sucks, but he hasn't had a single plus game since the Columbus game. It's disheartening to see, because he's an awesome player when he's on his game. I just don't think he's been playing the way he should be, he's trying to make too many plays with the puck, especially in the neutral zone, and he's not a playmaker by any stretch.

Kahuna Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:33 PM
  #367
StepansLabyrinth
Rational Police
 
StepansLabyrinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
I think Girardi looks okay a lot of the time but it definitely helps that he's playing with our best defender by a mile. I wonder how our team would play if we paired Stralman with McDonagh and Girardi with Staal. I feel like a McDonagh/Stralman pairing would look great but I'm not too sure about Staal/Girardi. They might not fit with this system, to be honest.

StepansLabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:33 PM
  #368
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Why is Hank a problem when the team can't score consistently? The D and Hank were not the problem and haven't been the problem for a long while now. It's the offense that's struggling.

Quite amusing actually.
The offense has been bad, Lundqvist's soft goal a game hasn't helped. Which skater is elite on this team? McDonagh? Who else. Then you have Nash who is merely very good. After that we have nothing. Hence Lundqvist deserves disproportional blame. If our skaters screwed up as often as him they'd be tarred and feathered on this board. But no, Lundqvist has a perennial get out of jail free card.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
  #369
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Maybe because he would be giving up fewer goals than that if he didn't give up the softies. Also soft goals in inopportune times is kick in the nuts mentally. He hasn't had to be amazing outside of the Dallas and LA games, beginning of the Penguins game and a few other points in the season (since the poor start that I absolve him of).
Is it a bigger kick in the nuts than no goals scored? Maybe him not being legendary good for a month of his career might be a lesser deal if the team scored a normal amount of goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Honestly man, I think Callahan has been straight up terrible thus far and it's a big reason for this team's current struggles. He has been a near non factor/offensive buzzkill since the win against Columbus, IMO. I don't know why, but his play has fallen dramatically since then. 1 goal and 3 points in 10 games since that game. No goals in 7 games. I know +/- sucks, but he hasn't had a single plus game since the Columbus game. It's disheartening to see, because he's an awesome player when he's on his game. I just don't think he's been playing the way he should be, he's trying to make too many plays with the puck, especially in the neutral zone, and he's not a playmaker by any stretch.
For a number of seasons now, Callahan is being tasked with doing far more offensively than he is capable of. There's only so long where a guy can be asked to do EVERYTHING and manage to do so. Yeah, for the first time in his career, he hasn't been good for an extended period of time. But if this team was able to play him in a normal role where he could be allowed to concentrate on doing what he is meant to do instead of doing things he doesn't have the capacity to, I bet he'd be playing just as well as usual.

It's very uncharacteristic for a player who has been the definition of smart decision making for his career to all of a sudden be a poor decision maker. I suspect this is a product of Vigneault looking to score more, and Callahan thus being taken more and more out of his comfort zone.

Is it possible that he simply isn't willing to play the same style he used to, maybe out of fear of further injury? I suppose it is possible, but I don't think it is the case. Too much character in this guy for that to be the case, IMO.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:45 PM
  #370
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal
 
Kahuna Nanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 64,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
For a number of seasons now, Callahan is being tasked with doing far more offensively than he is capable of. There's only so long where a guy can be asked to do EVERYTHING and manage to do so. Yeah, for the first time in his career, he hasn't been good for an extended period of time. But if this team was able to play him in a normal role where he could be allowed to concentrate on doing what he is meant to do instead of doing things he doesn't have the capacity to, I bet he'd be playing just as well as usual.

It's very uncharacteristic for a player who has been the definition of smart decision making for his career to all of a sudden be a poor decision maker. I suspect this is a product of Vigneault looking to score more, and Callahan thus being taken more and more out of his comfort zone.

Is it possible that he simply isn't willing to play the same style he used to, maybe out of fear of further injury? I suppose it is possible, but I don't think it is the case. Too much character in this guy for that to be the case, IMO.
It's bizarre. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Callahan is a bit of a product of his environment - he goes to the front, cycles it a bit, while his linemates control the puck. He's not gonna be the guy making the play in the neutral zone to gain the blue line. Nor is he going to be the guy putting the puck on net to generate rebounds, which are generally what Callahan would finish on. Players haven't been doing that this season.

Kahuna Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:46 PM
  #371
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Is it a bigger kick in the nuts than no goals scored? Maybe him not being legendary good for a month of his career might be a lesser deal if the team scored a normal amount of goals.



For a number of seasons now, Callahan is being tasked with doing far more offensively than he is capable of. There's only so long where a guy can be asked to do EVERYTHING and manage to do so. Yeah, for the first time in his career, he hasn't been good for an extended period of time. But if this team was able to play him in a normal role where he could be allowed to concentrate on doing what he is meant to do instead of doing things he doesn't have the capacity to, I bet he'd be playing just as well as usual.

It's very uncharacteristic for a player who has been the definition of smart decision making for his career to all of a sudden be a poor decision maker. I suspect this is a product of Vigneault looking to score more, and Callahan thus being taken more and more out of his comfort zone.

Is it possible that he simply isn't willing to play the same style he used to, maybe out of fear of further injury? I suppose it is possible, but I don't think it is the case. Too much character in this guy for that to be the case, IMO.
If a softy a game is just "not legendary good" I don't know what to tell you. You're just a Hank apologist since you're excusing his play.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
  #372
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
I don't understand how the same people that think a softy is no big deal, have an aneurism when a player turns the puck over. At least a turnover has a chance to still be saved, a soft goal is a goal against. I can only imagine if anyone on this team with the possible exception of McDonagh turned the puck over leading to a goal with the same regularity how much hate he would get, even if he played well otherwise. They would be public enemy #1 on this board.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:54 PM
  #373
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If a softy a game is just "not legendary good" I don't know what to tell you. You're just a Hank apologist since you're excusing his play.
I'm not excusing his play. His play just hasn't been all that bad over the last month. I see an inconsistent defense and a downright poor offense, especially at even strength. At no point in his career, including this one, has he ever been one of the major issues with this team.

Maybe I'm an apologist, or maybe you're just spoiled by having seen a top 3-5 goalie every single season, so for once a guy looking human has you befuddled.

Softies happen. Bad goals happen. I didn't see any softies in today's game. I saw a Zdeno Chara bomb and a bad deflection off of Girardi. I saw a wide open slot that allowed the Bruins to make a diagonal cross ice pass, almost always a recipe for disaster for the defending team. And more importantly, I saw the Rangers steadily hand control of the pace of the game to the Bruins, failing to produce any kind of consistent offense. Giving up a ton of point shots isn't always going to sink you, but when you're giving them up to a team with Chara and Krug, it is just downright dumb.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  #374
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I'm not excusing his play. His play just hasn't been all that bad over the last month. I see an inconsistent defense and a downright poor offense, especially at even strength. At no point in his career, including this one, has he ever been one of the major issues with this team.

Maybe I'm an apologist, or maybe you're just spoiled by having seen a top 3-5 goalie every single season, so for once a guy looking human has you befuddled.

Softies happen. Bad goals happen. I didn't see any softies in today's game. I saw a Zdeno Chara bomb and a bad deflection off of Girardi. I saw a wide open slot that allowed the Bruins to make a diagonal cross ice pass, almost always a recipe for disaster for the defending team. And more importantly, I saw the Rangers steadily hand control of the pace of the game to the Bruins, failing to produce any kind of consistent offense. Giving up a ton of point shots isn't always going to sink you, but when you're giving them up to a team with Chara and Krug, it is just downright dumb.
There's really no use arguing with you with you think that the Chara goal was not a bad goal. You will obviously just continue making excuses for the guy. At least when he has a good clean game I give him credit, you have so little objectivity that you can't even admit when your God gives up a soft goal. An unscreened point shot by Jesus himself would be a softy. I don't care that it was a bomb. Is it the softest goal he even gave up this season? It's arguably less soft than the goal against Florida. Soft nonetheless and in the 3rd period in a tied game. I can't have a conversation with you if you can't even admit when the guy makes a mistake. Why can I say that he was unbelievable against Dallas and LA? At least I can swallow my pride and admit that. You can't swallow your pride and say he gave up a softy.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 09:03 PM
  #375
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The average consumer
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well you can thank the defense for the 2.15 GAA mostly. Dude had 2 fantastic games and some fantastic parts of games (Pittsburgh). Otherwise he's been average at best. The defense never gets credit because people love Lundqvist and also enjoy trashing the team. The guy gives up a softy a game now, including some 1 goal games and the Florida game where he let them back in the game. The guy is practically a liability. He hasn't even had to stand on his head outside of those softies. How many cups has this great goaltender won for the team? Don't like the cap reason, we can trade for picks and some young talent (doubt we're getting an established first liner). Maybe if we trade him we can at least get a decent pick for a year or two because we're not as good and a decent pick from a trade. The guy is 32. it's highly likely we've seen the best of him. You don't need elite goalies in this league anymore. Teams are so good at playing defensive systems and our D is good enough to get a solid but not spectacular goalie, get picks, get cap space etc. This path we're going on now we'll have an old expensive goalie that gets us 1st round exists and frustration.
I would love for Lundqvist to be traded or refusing to re-sign, just to make you shut up. As for the bolded part, really? Are we on that part of the pathetic fence now? Do you honestly think this team would've won a cup if we had Crosby instead of Lundqvist on the team, or even made the playoffs? Are you that dense to believe it's that simple? Have you even watched this team and the playoff runs they've had (perhaps you have, but which team were you really rooting for)? I had you on un-ignore for a while, but I think you're just too insufferable and a fraction of your posts are worth reading.

"Practically a liability." Yeah, because as always, the problems with this team starts and ends with Lundqvist, at least if someone would be dumb enough to listen to your endless rants. You've had your second chance. Fool me twice, shame on me. I can't wait for the Rangers franchise to get another goalie as their starter, so you can get your quality goaltending.


Last edited by Kahuna Nanu: 11-29-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Chimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.