HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

History of NHL Team Names, Logos and Jerseys

Old
02-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Killion

vCash: 500
^^^ Nice job Hoser! Another myth & lie put to rest. Virtually every site & reference is therefore wrong, wrong, & wrong again.... and my, isnt that interesting. Nice lil bit of duplicity there with Gretzky & the Olympiques perhaps.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Hoser

More on the Kings' change to black and silver in 1988 from Rich Hammond of lakingsinsider.com:

Quote:
Question: You’re the only player to wear every Kings jersey that has existed. Which was your favorite?

ROBITAILLE: “My favorite — and there’s a reason for it — my favorite is the one that we had in the Gretzky era, and I’ll tell you why. When I was in junior, Wayne bought our junior team in Hull. My last year in junior, after Wayne bought the team, he changed the colors to black and silver, and I loved those. Even though I had never really seen the Raiders, I loved the Raiders’ colors. I clearly remember, in my second year with the Kings, Bruce McNall had taken over control of the team and he brought in a jersey to the locker room. It was very, very dark blue, silver and gray, but really dark blue. Borderline black, but it was dark blue. If you remember, in Bruce’s company everything was dark blue and gray and silver.

“So he showed it to me, and I didn’t know this at the time, but Bruce knew he was trying to get Wayne. I didn’t know that at the time, and I remember telling Bruce… He asked me, `What do you think of this?’ He had my number on it, on the jersey, and I said, `I like it, but you should see what we did in Hull. It was black. It was the same thing but it was black and silver, instead of dark blue.’ I said, `I loved those.’ And you know Bruce, he was like, `Oh yeah, yeah.’ But then I told him it was Wayne who designed them. I didn’t know he was trying to get Wayne at the time, but he knew that. Then, a week later, it was the All-Star Game in St. Louis. I was there and they showed tapes of myself in junior. Bruce saw that jersey and he put two and two together, and then he was really into it. I remember that day in St. Louis, he told me he thought he could get Wayne Gretzky. This was in February. I thought he was nuts.

“I do believe, to this day, he changed the colors to help him get Wayne. Wayne had changed our Hull colors. We were blue and we went to black and silver, and we won everything. So for me it was, `We changed those colors and we won everything, so I want to do that.”’

Question: When Bruce showed you that dark blue jersey, did he already have the new logo?

ROBITAILLE: “No, he didn’t have the logo at that point. I saw the logo for the first time when Wayne got traded and he showed the jersey.”
This is what the Hull Olympiques jerseys looked like before:

(That's a young Alain Vigneault on the left, circa the late '70s; Sylvain Turgeon and Benoit Doucet, circa '81-'83; and on the right Joe Foglietta and Luc Robitaille in Cooperalls circa the mid-'80s.)

This is what the Hull Olympiques jerseys looks like after Gretzky bought the team in 1985:

(and that's Marty Gelinas, '87-'88; one of the players who was traded to the Oilers for Gretzky in '88! )

Not far off from the '88 black & silver Kings, eh?

Certainly a much different story than the commonly parroted one about McNall wanting to cash in on the merchandising success of the L.A. Raiders.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Ret

With some shame I admit I own one of these...

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Certainly a much different story than the commonly parroted one about McNall wanting to cash in on the merchandising success of the L.A. Raiders.
Man thats just blatant. And that McNall fable? Ranks right up there with Conn Smythes Mothers Milk Story about how he came to land on naming the Arenas/St.Pats the Maple Leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOl22 View Post
[IMG]With some shame I admit I own one of these...
Thats actually a nice looking jersey. One of my favorites & widely detested is the Winnipeg Falcons replica jerseys worn by Team Canada in 2004 I think it was? Beautiful logo, great color combination.

Old
02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Thats actually a nice looking jersey. One of my favorites & widely detested is the Winnipeg Falcons replica jerseys worn by Team Canada in 2004 I think it was? Beautiful logo, great color combination.

I think this is the one and I absolutely love it. Sharp logo, nice shoulder patches and I've always been a fan of musty/snot green.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Killion

^^^ Yepp. Thats the one. And sure enough, green one of the more unpopular colors for not only sports teams but so too cars & clothing etc. But I like it. Minnesota, the old Seals uniforms, Dallas. That shade above so hideous its beautiful, actually works a treat.

Old
02-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOl22 View Post
<Ca. 1910 Canadiens replica worn by the Habs in 2009>

With some shame I admit I own one of these...
Shame? I wouldn't be ashamed, I think it's great.

Looks very sharp in action, and an order of magnitude better than the pieces of **** that were worn at the outdoor games in New York and Los Angeles recently.

If you can't live with the shame I'll take that sweater off your hands...

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
greyraven8

For the Hamilton Tigers, there are quite a few good pictures out there that show the logo of their initial sweaters:

and some of the uncomplicated 'H' in their final couple years:

but I haven't seen any good actual pictures of the 1921/22 - 1922/23 sweaters.
Team pics from 1921-22 you can make out a little detail of the crest.

probably the best I have seen is the hockey card made by 'In The Game'

can make out the body of the tiger pretty well at least.

On a somewhat similar note, tried a quick internet image search for the NY Americans sweater I remembered seeing used in their 1925 training camp with the 'HT' for Hamilton Tigers on it; couldn't find it easily so gave up and did a quick scan of this pic from the book 'Hamilton's Hockey Tigers' by Wesley:

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Killion

^^^ Nice digging. Always liked the Tigers head logo & color scheme, 1st picture in the post above... Americans jerseys as well, one of the all time greatest.

Old
04-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Cold Medicine

Here's a pretty good site that has a history of the Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars uniforms from the 1960s to 2009:

http://web.archive.org/web/201111201...y-project.html

Cold Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
PierrexMcGuire
Beau's IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
1966, the NHL announces Expansion planned for 67/68 season, 6 teams playing in their own Division. LA had been threatening the NHL with anti-trust since the late 50's demanding entry, new arena etc, huge market. If they didnt get in, acquire a WHL franchise, hook-up with the AHL, inter-locking schedule, serious threat to the NHL's preeminence as North Americas' best professional league, stranglehold on the buildings in 'A' Market westcoast locales. Refused, so in 1961 they along with San Francisco awarded Expansion Franchises in the WHL. San Francisco's team named the Seals after a defunct but long time popular minor-pro baseball team, LA's team called the Blades (formerly LA had the Monarchs of the PCHL). By 65/66, NHL Expansion was pretty much rubber stamped by the BOG's, with CBS insisting that at least 2 of the 6 inbound clubs be located in California. The newly minted owners in San Francisco buying the WHL Seals, the name, player contracts etc (though the whole thing unraveled thereafter going to Hell in a Handbasket due to beyond intransigent ownership, and quite the story & cast of colorful characters that be, another thread)... here now in less than a minute and a half the history of the California nee Oakland nee California Golden Seals Jersey History...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFNa4QGpCc
I really am undecided about those pants. One part of me thinks that if we had every team with different colored pants(their primary color) it would be distracting, and the other part of me thinks it would be awesome.

PierrexMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote