HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Stats again.

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Yup. Looks like Sidney Crosby might be slowing down a little. Only 1 goal tonight. :p

Still, though. Pouliot looks pretty good. In the last 3 games with Rimouski's offensive explosions.. Pouliot has 5 goals, 4 assists in 3 games. Sidney has had 4 goals and 3 assists in the same timeframe. Not too shabby indeed. And they're playing on different lines...
You almost have to wonder if they take turns getting first line icetime/pptime.

One day MAP is getting 4 points while Crosby only gets 1, then the next game the opposite happens.

Old
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Funkymoses

update on the Michigan guys:

Michigan played at Miami (the one in Ohio). They got waxed 8-3 on Friday but won 2-1 on Saturday.

Rohlfs scored both nights:
Quote:
David Rohlfs (Northville, Mich.) notched the first goal of his Michigan career on a bad-angle shot during U-M's seventh power-play chance. Rohlfs caught a good bounce to bring the Maize and Blue within a goal, 3-2, when his centering pass deflected off of Crawford-West's pad and into the net with 3:29 remaining in the period.
Quote:
David Rohlfs (Northville, Mich.) put Michigan up by two with his second goal of the weekend at 12:57, tracking down a Matt Hunwick (Roseville, Mich.) lead pass behind the RedHawk defense. As the puck reached the goal line, Rohlfs dove to the ice to sweep the puck on goal despite the bad angle and managed to beat Hartley before running into the boards.
Helminen picked up an assist on Rohlfs' first goal.

The bad news is that Rohlfs left the saturday game with an injury of some sort, either a shoulder problem or a concussion. I'll tell you when i find out.

Red had a comment on Rohlfs' second goal:

Quote:
On David Rohlfs' game-winning goal ... "What a great effort. You talk about a second effort going to the goal. I don't know if he was tripped or if he fell; I couldn't tell, but he took a tumble into the boards head first. I'm sure he'll be alright but I want to make sure."

Old
10-13-2003, 04:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think Pouliot is gonna be one of those guys that teams who drafted after the top 10 and passed on him are going to go "DAMN!!"

These two probably make the best 1-2 punch in Major Junior hockey. What does the team have on defense and in net?

Old
10-13-2003, 04:16 PM
oilersboy

If everything go well for Pouliot and Niinimaki we will have two great big center.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:44 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And where is this money going to come from?

I mean, it isn't like these guys get 60,000 fans out to a football game, or 10,000+ out to a hockey game.

Most of the time, you are looking at 6,000 max for a football game, and 3000 for a hockey game.

And you can be damn sure the Students who are there for an actual education, are going to stand for part of their $7,000 tuition go towards an athlete so he can get a free ride, or part of a free ride.
Do I even need to get into the complete misappropriation of funds with regards to places like the UofA? I get quite disturbed when I find out alot of the places that money goes to.

Wouldn't they get higher attendance if the quality was higher? It does work both ways.

There are so many differences between American schools and Canadian schools in terms of funding, scholarships, everything really, not just athletics, and American universities are truly superior in how they treat the student/prospective student.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Do I even need to get into the complete misappropriation of funds with regards to places like the UofA? I get quite disturbed when I find out alot of the places that money goes to.

Wouldn't they get higher attendance if the quality was higher? It does work both ways.

There are so many differences between American schools and Canadian schools in terms of funding, scholarships, everything really, not just athletics, and American universities are truly superior in how they treat the student/prospective student.

You completely avoided the question. Dawgbone asked why student atheletes in Canada should get sports scholarships, when the revenue the college receives from their team won't cover it...

You just made some lame misappropriation of funds excuse and completely avoided the question..

In the States, the college sports teams make more than enough money to cover the cost of scholarships, and in Canada they don't...

So, explain why Canadian colleges should shell out over ten grand a year to cover a hockey players tuition, when the team revenue is not able to pay for it??

Should other students tuition go up, so a thousand people can see you play against middle to lower calibre ex-CHLers???

Old
10-13-2003, 09:00 PM
mamettt

Quote:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I go to a prestigous university in Manhattan. I pay 40,000 dollars a year in tuition, and by the time may schooling is done, will have paid a small fortune in education costs. Oh yeah, that doesn't cover the costs of living in manhattan day in and day out. All over the united states, to go to a good school, private and, if you're out of state, public, will cost you 25,000 to 40,000 dollars a year. Canadian schools are at least affordable for people who aren't uber rich or willing to be in debt for a large portion of their lives.

Is the quality of education better down here? Depends what school, where you are, what program.

Athletics is also kind of a dubious thing down here; If I had a dollar for every quaterback who got into a great university for nothing but his ability to throw a football, I'd be rich right now. The importance placed on essentially meaningless amateur sports takes away from academic programs. I'm not saying to abolish college sports, but there's no questioning that athletes get treated with a lower academic standard, and the school diverts baldy needed funding so that the college teams can have whatever they need. Yes the revenues are enormous, but where do they go? How are they used?

Both systems have various advantages and disadvantages, it it's all based on your financial situation, personal goals, and expecation of where you want to end up in the future. However, I wouldn't blanket each system with overgeneral statements.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Boondock:

I thought I made this clear, but, the program can be made to make alot of money if it is run properly. There will be extra revenue, new alumni contributions, etc, etc. Prestige, attendance, athletes staying at home instead of heading to the states, it goes on and on. And if you're trying to say all sports progs pay for themselves, what about golf? volleyball? track? They sure don't.

My general point was more about how I felt CDN universities are just not run as well, or as student/prospective student friendly.

BTW, since when was tuition 10G's? I'm sure not at that level.

Why should CDN student athletes get athletic scholarships? Frankly, I think it's just a better system than the one we have now.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
I don't want to derail this thread, but I go to a prestigous university in Manhattan. I pay 40,000 dollars a year in tuition.
Not to pry mammett, but $40k/year, wow. Do you know what the scholarship% rate at that particular school is? Most of the ones I looked at that had tuition that high were pretty much 90-95% scholarship schools. Those out-of-state fees are HUGE, but it is true that, if you stay in your own state and go to the public uni, you'll pay less than here.

And as a general note, sorry for the semi-thread-jack this has become, I was just responding to a question.

Old
10-14-2003, 02:35 PM
momentai

Anyway, guys to get this topic on track.

JF Jacques got an assist along with 4 pim on sunday. He didn't play for about 4 games prior to that though. Anyone know the reason why? Injury?

Old
10-14-2003, 02:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Anyway, guys to get this topic on track.

JF Jacques got an assist along with 4 pim on sunday. He didn't play for about 4 games prior to that though. Anyone know the reason why? Injury?
Good to see he's getting his nose dirty - his names seems to be popping up a fair bit

Old
10-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Funkymoses

Rohlfs has been cleared to play this weekend, FYI. Hurrah.

Old
10-15-2003, 12:07 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Boondock:

I thought I made this clear, but, the program can be made to make alot of money if it is run properly. There will be extra revenue, new alumni contributions, etc, etc. Prestige, attendance, athletes staying at home instead of heading to the states, it goes on and on. And if you're trying to say all sports progs pay for themselves, what about golf? volleyball? track? They sure don't.
The problem is, it is too far to change. You need the money before you can spend it, and it simply isn't there, nor would any student union I have ever been involved with even accept that kind of proposal. Maybe if Canadian University sports were taken seriously, they could start with scholarships, but they aren't, and that is the issue. That is an enormous finiancial gamble that you seem to rather easily want to take, but hey, it's not your money... These are all big assumptions you are making here, and that is the quickest way to see all your money go down the drain. What you are proposing, at best case scenario, will take a very long time to become a beneficial thing, and until then you will see 1 of 2 things:

1. Sports and other university programs will colapse, because there is no money left.

2. The will be such a huge disparity between the haves and have nots, that the CIS won't be competetive. The US system can handle it because it has over 300 schools, Canada doesn't.

Programs like Golf are a lot different than football. Golf is a corporate gold mine in the states, and his heavily supported by the alumni, and especially those that go on to the PGA. Track also has huge corporate sponsorships, and many events attract huge crowds. As for Volleyball, I don't know, but I don't know how many schools give out full scholarships for volleyball.

Quote:
My general point was more about how I felt CDN universities are just not run as well, or as student/prospective student friendly.
I don't know where you go, but I will completely disagree. I had a great experience at University, all aspects of it.

Quote:
BTW, since when was tuition 10G's? I'm sure not at that level.
My last year of University set me back $7450 in tuition alone... not quite 10G's but when you factor in things like books, residence if need be, etc... that is quite a bit of money.

Quote:
Why should CDN student athletes get athletic scholarships? Frankly, I think it's just a better system than the one we have now.
It isn't a better system, because it is too costly to try and implement. It doesn't do anything except take a spot in a classroom away from someone who actually deserves to be in university.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm not saying it would be easy to implement, or that it even could be, but I am really dismayed that there is no reason given for their general attitude when asked. There is in fact a sort of "how dare you question us" attitude which I found rather disturbing. I'd like to see it modeled much more closely to the American system, even though it is highly unlikely.

With regards to this:

"Me- My general point was more about how I felt CDN universities are just not run as well, or as student/prospective student friendly.

You- I don't know where you go, but I will completely disagree. I had a great experience at University, all aspects of it."

In summing up, I once said to a person, the attitude in nearly every aspect of a Canadian university is that "it is your privilige to study here, you are lucky" whereas the American attitude is "we'd love to have you, you'd be a great asset to our university and we'd be lucky". Theres a fundamental difference in the whole 'tone' of the way things are handled. Especially in terms of scholarships, not only athletic, but pertaining to academics and arts. I know that's rather vague, but that's the best I can do without going on and on and on. It comes back to me asking why there were no athletic scholarships, and basically being told "you have to apply for one, it's $1000, that should be enough to keep elite athletes here". These people were either really ill-informed or just plain unitelligent.

I go to the UofA by the way. About $5k.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:53 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
I'm not saying it would be easy to implement, or that it even could be, but I am really dismayed that there is no reason given for their general attitude when asked. There is in fact a sort of "how dare you question us" attitude which I found rather disturbing. I'd like to see it modeled much more closely to the American system, even though it is highly unlikely.

With regards to this:

"Me- My general point was more about how I felt CDN universities are just not run as well, or as student/prospective student friendly.

You- I don't know where you go, but I will completely disagree. I had a great experience at University, all aspects of it."

In summing up, I once said to a person, the attitude in nearly every aspect of a Canadian university is that "it is your privilige to study here, you are lucky" whereas the American attitude is "we'd love to have you, you'd be a great asset to our university and we'd be lucky". Theres a fundamental difference in the whole 'tone' of the way things are handled. Especially in terms of scholarships, not only athletic, but pertaining to academics and arts. I know that's rather vague, but that's the best I can do without going on and on and on. It comes back to me asking why there were no athletic scholarships, and basically being told "you have to apply for one, it's $1000, that should be enough to keep elite athletes here". These people were either really ill-informed or just plain unitelligent.

I go to the UofA by the way. About $5k.
There is tremendous competetion down in the States, because there are a lot of Universities and Colleges, whereas in Canada, your options are very thin in terms of getting a University Education (which is probably compounded by living in Alberta). Coupled with that, are the insanely large costs to attend a US school (even on a partial scholarship), the US schools simply need to do more to attract students.

Well let's put it this way.

In the States, there are 3 ways you can pay for school...

1). Rich Mom and Dad.
2). Can throw or catch a football
3). End up in debt for a large portion of your adult life.

Now, compare that with Canada, where you can go through University without any of that, with very careful planning and money management.

As for scholarships and Bursaries, you would be suprised at how much money is out there if you are willing to do a little work. My sophmore year was almost entirely paid for (tuition-wise) through bursaries and scholarships. I spend 6 hours one day applying to everything. $5000 for 6 hours work is nothing.

Then again, I guess it is based on experiences... I personally found the Canadian University system very fair.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:27 PM
momentai

This topic has really veered off topic. If you guys really want to discuss the pros and cons of Canadian/American colleges and universities, you can make a new thread.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Obviously we could debate this forever, although I do believe you are not mentioning the fairly cheap in-state college option for many Americans. I personally was going to attend an American school, but paperwork bobbling and a couple matters beyond my control caused that not to happen. But as Momentai pointed out, we should probably end the thread-jack, back to prospects.

Any updates on our man Mikhnov?

Old
10-15-2003, 03:41 PM
momentai

Quote:
Not much to update. Alexei's team Sibir hasn't scored very much the last two games. 1 goal in the past two to be exact. But last game they were up against the likes of Dynamo Moscow and lost 4-0.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:43 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Obviously we could debate this forever, although I do believe you are not mentioning the fairly cheap in-state college option for many Americans. I personally was going to attend an American school, but paperwork bobbling and a couple matters beyond my control caused that not to happen. But as Momentai pointed out, we should probably end the thread-jack, back to prospects.

Well, yes there are in-state colleges, which are roughly attributable to Canadian community colleges...

Here's my stop. Time to get off this thread.

JDD isn't getting much help this year, his team is horrible.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:53 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Anybody know where there is a site we can follow Alexei - or atleast see some up-to-date stats....

Old
10-15-2003, 04:03 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Anybody know where there is a site we can follow Alexei - or atleast see some up-to-date stats....
http://www.russianprospects.com/supe...&season_part=1

http://www.metallurg.ru/base/playeri...?idplayer=1856

Not sure how often these are updated but I check them from time to time.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
http://www.russianprospects.com/supe...&season_part=1

http://www.metallurg.ru/base/playeri...?idplayer=1856

Not sure how often these are updated but I check them from time to time.
thanks, that'll be perfect.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
A poor translation of Sibir Novosibirsk page:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...ru%2Findex.php
(team standings are listed GP-W-OTW-T-OTL-L-GF-GA-P, 3 points for a win, two in OT, one for a tie or OT loss, none for a loss)

Stats:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...Faction%3Dstat
(GP-G-A-P-PPG-PP-SH-GW-GT-PIM-Hat tricks-+/-)

It translates +/- as "the index of the usefulness". Must be important.

Mikhnov's page, with a link to some photos, but without current stats:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...rson%26ID%3D48

If you can tell me what "Candidate into the master of the sport" is supposed to mean, you get some sort of amazing prize.

And one more good photo not on that page:
http://www.hcsibir.ru/photos.html?ch...ch=1628&id=554

That kid is huge. Or it's a midget checking him.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
And mighty Alexei Mikhnov scores again !
Against Lokomotiv Yaroslavl this time.
This team BTW is two time current champion.
But Sibir however have lost again

Old
10-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
And mighty Alexei Mikhnov scores again !
Against Lokomotiv Yaroslavl this time.
This team BTW is two time current champion.
But Sibir however have lost again
Ooo i noticed you live in Russia, Lord.. have you actually seen Mikhnov play live in person?

Closed Thread