HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec

Old
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
crystal ball

vCash: 500
Plekanec

Just curious: why do so many people here want to trade Plekanec away? The guy is brilliant defensively and has some nice tricks on offence as well. He's fast, smart and skilled. Of course, he's not the guy you want to be your number-one centre because of his size and the way he tends to wear down as the season goes on. But he would be such an asset to a winning team as a second line guy. Even third, as he gets older, just for his defence.

He's got four years left on his current deal, which he'll earn while Eller and Galchenyuk are maturing, and after that he can be signed for much less for a lower line job. So why the need to trade him?

crystal ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:10 AM
TT1

just gonna requote one of my posts but this is basically my 2cents on the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
Our current roster can easily contend for the top 4-5 spots in the east but we'll never be a cup contender because our team isnt built right for the playoffs. The only high value assets we currently have are markov and plek, we can afford to part ways with both of them because they most likely wont play an integral part in the team by the time our younger players step into their main roles. We'll most likely finish 10-15th for the next 2-3 years which is obviously fine because we'll be stacking up on high picks. Once we get past that we should have a solid cup contending team for several years to come, hopefully .
basically bad team composition + aging players = makes players like plek/markov expendable

Last edited by TT1: 06-07-2013 at 06:07 AM.
TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:18 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Just curious: why do so many people here want to trade Plekanec away? The guy is brilliant defensively and has some nice tricks on offence as well. He's fast, smart and skilled. Of course, he's not the guy you want to be your number-one centre because of his size and the way he tends to wear down as the season goes on. But he would be such an asset to a winning team as a second line guy. Even third, as he gets older, just for his defence.

He's got four years left on his current deal, which he'll earn while Eller and Galchenyuk are maturing, and after that he can be signed for much less for a lower line job. So why the need to trade him?
People want to trade him precisely because he is very valuable to the team. They figure he's a genuinely good player, and as such he's a legitimate piece to get good value in return.

It is in contrast to people who want to trade Desharnais for a 1st rounder, or that sort of thing.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:55 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
just gonna requote one of my posts but this is basically my 2cents on the matter

basically bad team composition + aging players = makes players like plek/markov expendable
difference between Markov and Plekanec is injuries, #14 should remain a solid player for a while

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

'Cause he surely has the best value of any of the other players we want to trade. 'Cause he has surely already played his best hockey...would be surprise if he improves from now on. 'Cause it's all about changing the dynamics of the team and if we believe in Eller, despite his injury, we might envision Eller becoming a taller and bigger Plekanec, which in the end might put Pleks in a 3rd line role, which we shouldn't be doing at 5M$ per year. And will be his demands for his future contract. We have to consider it. Not saying we have to get rid of him though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:55 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

just like every other team, Habs are allowed to have more than a couple good players...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:00 AM
No Team Needed

We do not have a center as good as Plekanec.

Oh, we have guys we can hope become as good and certainly have potential to be better, but as good? Nope.

Eller has developed his defensive game nicely and certainly has the offensive chops but he isn't as good as Plekanec today. There's nothing to prove he will ever be able to handle his minutes or competition. There's the hope it happens but if you remove Plekanec now, you lose out on offensive prowess in goals and assists plus lose out on defensive play. He's the team's best defensive forward.

Galchenyuk still hasn't learned to take faceoffs in the NHL and might be two years away from that. His coach limited his minutes to the last post-season game. He certainly has the potential to be an 80+ point centerman in the league and we want to see him bloom sooner rather than later but until then, he can't hold Plek's jockstrap. Let's see Galchenyuk score with Zetterberg on the ice in the Joe before we give him anything in the top six.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Gally11

I absolutely love Pleks but I don't think we're winning the cup in the next couple of years unless everything clicks so we might as well trade and build around Chuckie, Subban and Price.. and by Price I mean getting bigger on D to help him clear the crease. Pleks could just be a piece that helps us do that

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:10 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
and by Price I mean getting bigger on D to help him clear the crease.
Yeah, it's too bad Jarred Tinordi is like 12 years away from becoming something like that...

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:18 AM
couris

5M, afraid of physical contact (see plays like a girl) and we are not close to winning the cup as he is getting older. Trade.

couris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:33 AM
fredflag

I don't get it also.
Plekanec is the PERFECT 3 liner (see Jordan Staal with the Peinguin). The problem, as usual with the Habs, is that due to the fact that our lineup is strech thin and that we don't have any good center, Plekanec need to pull this team almost by himself offensively and defensively for a couple of year now.
He always get the tough matchup, he always have the scrap winger (compare to Desharnais), play on all the PK and almost all the PP and still he get rip on this board...

Find him 2 good and physical winger, stick him on the third line and you will see that we need him to go far in the playoff.
And please don't compare is situation to Markov. Plek play 596 game in the last 8 season (on a possiblity of 622, which represent 95.8% of the game) posting 0.66 pts/game.
Markov is done, is body is not following and frankly I don't think he is able to get back to is former self.

fredflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
I absolutely love Pleks but I don't think winning the cup in the next couple of years unless everything clicks so we might as well trade and build around Chuckie, Subban and Price.. and by Price I mean getting bigger on D to help him clear the crease. Pleks could just be a piece that helps us do that
About as simple as it gets. We could trade him now for top-6 players to play with us in the future and turn us into a contender or we can keep him in our rebuilding years and lose him for nothing. I'd rather have a young top a-6 player than an old, expensive third liner.

I'm committed to rebuilding and don't really care how moving him affects us in the short term. We have enough holes in the line up, don't think one more will make much of a difference, don't see us contending either way.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredflag View Post
I don't get it also.
Plekanec is the PERFECT 3 liner (see Jordan Staal with the Peinguin). The problem, as usual with the Habs, is that due to the fact that our lineup is strech thin and that we don't have any good center, Plekanec need to pull this team almost by himself offensively and defensively for a couple of year now.
He always get the tough matchup, he always have the scrap winger (compare to Desharnais), play on all the PK and almost all the PP and still he get rip on this board...

Find him 2 good and physical winger, stick him on the third line and you will see that we need him to go far in the playoff.
And please don't compare is situation to Markov. Plek play 596 game in the last 8 season (on a possiblity of 622, which represent 95.8% of the game) posting 0.66 pts/game.
Markov is done, is body is not following and frankly I don't think he is able to get back to is former self.
The reason you don't get much feedback is because Plekanec isn't a third liner. When he ages a little more he will be, but right now he's far from it.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I think we should move-on from Plek. He is a strong leader and a good player. But I want Eller to have his role... or someone else.

He has been here a long time and I don't think he has the type of personality that eases into the background as younger guys come up to take his spot (scrapping with PK was a symptom of that in my mind). It would be easier for him to do that on another team like Koivu... easier for us.... easier for him.

Pleks has been here like 10 years. He is good but we should move on. Falls into the doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results category.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
It's about moving an asset before it's too late. Plekanec has considerable value. Without him, we have three centers who play an offensive style. Of those three, Eller is likely the most capable two-way player. IMO, Larry is a bigger Plekanec.

Eller, DD, and Galchenyuk had seasons that translate into 53 to 46 points respectively. Eller is steadily improving, and he had the season he did with the struggle of getting ice time from Therrien. DD needs to bounce back, but if he is nothing more than a 50 point center, most teams will take that as a second line guy. We'll see if Galchenyuk has a sophomore jinx season, but I don't think he will. He was only getting stronger as the season went on and his ice time went up - while playing the wing. He needs to move to the middle (which is why people want to move someone to make room).

All things being equal, I'd like to keep Plekanec and move Desharnais. Trading DD now though would be a sell low situation. His value simply isn't close to Plekanec's.

What Montreal needs is more goals from the wing, preferably from a big skating winger. With no Ryder/Cole, and an oft injured Gionta, we need scoring wingers. Somewhere out there is a legitimate hockey trade to make that includes Tomas going the other way. Look at the teams that are thin at center, and pick up the phone.

I think Anaheim should be on the call list. Koivu and Selanne are old. Getzlaf is their only other offensive center of note. They could use help. Ryan's got a year left on his contract, making roughly the same as Plekanec. Given the contracts of Getzlaf and Perry, the money committed to some older players beyond next season, and the number of roster spots opening up from UFAs, it will be hard to keep Ryan. Plekanec slides in as their number two and fits a Boudreau system pretty darn well.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
5M, afraid of physical contact (see plays like a girl) and we are not close to winning the cup as he is getting older. Trade.
Plekanec's game is not buit around physical play, but saying he is afraid of physical contract is just plain wrong. He's a gritty player that wins most of his battles.

As far as not being close to winning a cup, in today's NHL, we are not very far.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Uber Coca

Plekanec is here to stay and I'm glad some posters will never get close to be the GM of the Montreal Canadiens. I hear they're looking for a new GM in Toronto though.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:27 AM
NickW

Because he's not a prospect.

NickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post

I think depth at center, his high trade value and cap space could be reasons. However, I see most of it as just talk. Slim chance he is moved until at least, March trade deadline.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
habsfan92

Well, He is a good 3rd liner. Unfortunately here on this team, people think he is a first liner. He is about 200 lbs, and plays a completely unphysical game. Perimeter player that never goes to the net ( except against Ottawa where drives Turris into Price, goal!, yeah great defensive play!). He never battles for pucks, never along the boards (that is why he stays so healthy). Don't recall him winning any important face-offs. Good, but not great puck skills. Good regular season player that plays pp & pk.
Here is the thing, you can't have Pleks & DD on the same team, team is too soft as it is. With DD being signed to a contract for 4 years, he is difficult to trade and expect a good return. Pleks however has more of track record that would be somewhat desirable for getting something useful in return. All in all, Eller maturing & Chuck needing more icetime allows Mtl to move him. Rangers could use Pleks. I won't miss him.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Well, He is a good 3rd liner. Unfortunately here on this team, people think he is a first liner. He is about 200 lbs, and plays a completely unphysical game. Perimeter player that never goes to the net ( except against Ottawa where drives Turris into Price, goal!, yeah great defensive play!). He never battles for pucks, never along the boards (that is why he stays so healthy). Don't recall him winning any important face-offs. Good, but not great puck skills. Good regular season player that plays pp & pk.
Here is the thing, you can't have Pleks & DD on the same team, team is too soft as it is. With DD being signed to a contract for 4 years, he is difficult to trade and expect a good return. Pleks however has more of track record that would be somewhat desirable for getting something useful in return. All in all, Eller maturing & Chuck needing more icetime allows Mtl to move him. Rangers could use Pleks. I won't miss him.
You are a terrible hockey scout. Plekanec is only a good 3rd liner now?

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:52 AM
SouthernHab

Dumb to want to get rid of Pleks. None of our centers are close to him regarding effectiveness......yet.

There are several players on this team who need to be traded long before Pleks. Pleks was not the reason we could not compete in the playoffs.

But I do see this becoming the hot button issue HERE (Canadiens Forum) next season. Last season it was Eller vs DD. this season I expect it to be Eller vs Pleks.

Get ready for the Pleks threads that will be very similar to the DD threads of last season.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
thebinne4pres

I would only trade Plekanec in a package to get another big #1 center, nothing else!

Even if we trade Plekanec, do we will have a better #1 center....no.
We will have a worst #1 center for a couple of years.
And even worst, Plek would have been the best option as a #2 center.

Plek is 30 years old....close to 29...since when 30 is old???
This is why he got good value, many really good years left.
Still at 34, will be very usefull to many teams for 2-3 years.

One day, i would like to see Plek with good and big wingers. Mayby he wouldn't be that tired at the end of the season. He's been playing for years with small players such as Cammalleri and Gionta, not to mention the highly motivated Ryder and A. Kostitsyn.

thebinne4pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Do you actually WATCH any Habs games?

Old
06-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
You are a terrible hockey scout. Plekanec is only a good 3rd liner now?
This despite putting up 1st line calibre offensive production and getting a ton of hard matchups. Brilliant!