HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2014 Trade Deadline Thread (All General Deadline Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
  #51
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Isn't it 100% that Forsberg is coming next year? Didn't he sign an ELC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
doesn't mean its 100%...at least that i understand...they could choose to leave him in Sweden for another year if they want
Depending on the AHL situation and how things shake down at camp, it could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised either way, for sure.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:39 PM
  #52
beatnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Depending on the AHL situation and how things shake down at camp, it could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised either way, for sure.
Forsberg is 21, but has a .920 save percentage in Sweden's Elite League this season. He's sharing duties with Sabres prospect Linus Ullmark, but with CBJ's goalie depth issues I doubt he goes back to Sweden next season.

For reference, Forsberg is 9th overall in sv%. Ullmark is 3rd at .932

beatnick is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
  #53
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnick View Post
Forsberg is 21, but has a .920 save percentage in Sweden's Elite League this season. He's sharing duties with Sabres prospect Linus Ullmark, but with CBJ's goalie depth issues I doubt he goes back to Sweden next season.

For reference, Forsberg is 9th overall in sv%. Ullmark is 3rd at .932
I'm well aware of the numbers and facts. It's what I do.

You're discounting the fact that he may go back to Sweden because he simply doesn't want to ride a bus around the American Hockey League for a year. Or, there is the possibility that the Blue Jackets simply bring in 2 goaltenders because they feel the need for depth in case of another injury to Bobrovsky.

Believe me, I've crunched the numbers and thought the angles ... I know the situation. The probability is that he plays in the AHL ... but unfortunately, that situation is 8 months away and there are several tangibles that could change between now and then.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
  #54
beatnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I'm well aware of the numbers and facts. It's what I do.

You're discounting the fact that he may go back to Sweden because he simply doesn't want to ride a bus around the American Hockey League for a year. Or, there is the possibility that the Blue Jackets simply bring in 2 goaltenders because they feel the need for depth in case of another injury to Bobrovsky.

Believe me, I've crunched the numbers and thought the angles ... I know the situation. The probability is that he plays in the AHL ... but unfortunately, that situation is 8 months away and there are several tangibles that could change between now and then.
I'm pretty big into the numbers as well.

For the most part, I agree with you, and hope they can bring in a quality backup for the next season instead of relying on their youth to step in. But wouldn't Forsberg be on loan to the SHL next season? Basically making it the J's call whether or not he plays in the AHL?

beatnick is offline  
Old
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
  #55
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
IDK about Wennberg, he could use more seasoning and it doesn't hurt. I could see Rychel on the team as he is more of a banger than Wennberg.

No doubt about Erixon imo. I think he replaces Nikitin. Then Savard, Prout, and Goloubef do the rotation like Savard and Prout do now.
The obvious odd man out on D has been Nikitin. We've been saying it for a long time now, but just as we're preparing to part ways, he's playing a really valuable role, I think more valuable this year than JJ. Given that Nikitin might not have the best trade value, I wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo and Co. try to keep him and move a different defenceman. Or maybe not, but its not so obvious anymore.

major major is offline  
Old
01-06-2014, 07:56 AM
  #56
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I can understand that, and if we're fading out of the playoff picture or have another move waiting to happen that involves alot of salary than I am fine with it, but trading RJ just for the sake of trading RJ is stupid, imo.
And you would get a proven NHL player than can help us NOW in a position where we need the help (read: not second or third line forward) until the youth matures. Nobody is talking about trading RJ for the sake of trading RJ. That is a straw man.

leesmith is online now  
Old
01-06-2014, 09:09 AM
  #57
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
The obvious odd man out on D has been Nikitin. We've been saying it for a long time now, but just as we're preparing to part ways, he's playing a really valuable role, I think more valuable this year than JJ. Given that Nikitin might not have the best trade value, I wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo and Co. try to keep him and move a different defenceman. Or maybe not, but its not so obvious anymore.
Yep. Unless they're not planning on re-signing (or attempting to anyway) Niki6.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now  
Old
01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
  #58
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Yep. Unless they're not planning on re-signing (or attempting to anyway) Niki6.
JJ has to step up to be sure. However Nikitin is inconsistent. With his new contract you'll probably end up paying him fairly close to JJ. What makes JJ interesting to talk about is that he doesn't have a NTC.

Until it is identified what we want/need internally, not by us, I would say that it's impossible to identify what it would take to get it.

We have a couple of month of analysis to go through yet. How is Bob going to play? The Jackets scoring is trending up and we have a couple of, potential, top six forwards in the system. We have some good defensemen still in the system that we need to look at.

I'm not sure our wants/needs list corresponds to JK/JD. I'm also not sure it's a very large list.

We have a Blues discussion going. Their transition from a team that had average results to league elite was prompted from a coaching change, not personnel change. At least initially. They've done a good job of making a couple of complementary trades and bringing in players from their farm system.

blahblah is offline  
Old
01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
  #59
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnick View Post
I'm pretty big into the numbers as well.

For the most part, I agree with you, and hope they can bring in a quality backup for the next season instead of relying on their youth to step in. But wouldn't Forsberg be on loan to the SHL next season? Basically making it the J's call whether or not he plays in the AHL?
Under the IIHF transfer agreement, it would appear to be the case ... however, how many times have we seen teams loan players overseas because of player preference? After all, right now, Ilari Melart is playing in the KHL.

I think if Forsberg is willing to spend some time and hone his game in the AHL, then that's where he'll be. But, if he gives feedback to the contrary, I wouldn't be surprised to see him overseas again.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 06:59 AM
  #60
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,687
vCash: 500
if available at the deadline and we're still in it...would you make a run to bring Ray Whitney back? Is that day gone? Does he still have soemthing in the tank to contribute? there's a thread on the trade board asking for his value...

Fro is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  #61
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting
 
cbjfaninmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Ozark, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if available at the deadline and we're still in it...would you make a run to bring Ray Whitney back? Is that day gone? Does he still have soemthing in the tank to contribute? there's a thread on the trade board asking for his value...
No. I like Ray, but that ship has sailed.

cbjfaninmo is online now  
Old
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
  #62
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
I see no reason to trade for anyone, unless they are an ELITE player. We have a very solid team and I just don't think there will be many guys available that would make our team better.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
  #63
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
There is a piece from LeBrun that Ottawa is willing to deal some of the youth for a shot "today". I don't see Ottawa as a team needing one piece to make them SC contenders but I could see the CBJ talking to them about Gaborik. I'm a very big Gaborik fan but I just don't see them re-signing him which means he's the biggest bargaining chip.

I like Puempel (LW) and Culek (LW) for size and skill up front. I also think a pick would be part of the. While I think Gaborik offers skill we can use, if he isn't in the long term plans, and given he isn't playing right now, I think he's a moveable piece....

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
  #64
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
There is a piece from LeBrun that Ottawa is willing to deal some of the youth for a shot "today". I don't see Ottawa as a team needing one piece to make them SC contenders but I could see the CBJ talking to them about Gaborik. I'm a very big Gaborik fan but I just don't see them re-signing him which means he's the biggest bargaining chip.

I like Puempel (LW) and Culek (LW) for size and skill up front. I also think a pick would be part of the. While I think Gaborik offers skill we can use, if he isn't in the long term plans, and given he isn't playing right now, I think he's a moveable piece....
it would have to be a heck of a deal to try and sell helping another team in the East make the playoffs now when it could potentially be a move that keeps the CBJ out.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now  
Old
01-13-2014, 05:32 PM
  #65
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
it would have to be a heck of a deal to try and sell helping another team in the East make the playoffs now when it could potentially be a move that keeps the CBJ out.
The only thing I worry about in trades is making our team better. Plus, couldn't you argue that making Ottawa better helps Columbus. If Ottawa is better, and thus beats other teams we are competing with for the playoffs, doesn't that help us?

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  #66
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The only thing I worry about in trades is making our team better. Plus, couldn't you argue that making Ottawa better helps Columbus. If Ottawa is better, and thus beats other teams we are competing with for the playoffs, doesn't that help us?
I see both sides of this argument but for the long term i think getting a good return for Gabby is the best thing for this team. I don't know much about the guys mentioned but a good young LW would seem to be high on our needs list.

EspenK is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:23 AM
  #67
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I see both sides of this argument but for the long term i think getting a good return for Gabby is the best thing for this team. I don't know much about the guys mentioned but a good young LW would seem to be high on our needs list.
I agree

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:20 AM
  #68
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The only thing I worry about in trades is making our team better. Plus, couldn't you argue that making Ottawa better helps Columbus. If Ottawa is better, and thus beats other teams we are competing with for the playoffs, doesn't that help us?
So currently Ottawa and the CBJ are tied with 48 points. Even though he is having a down and injury filled year, is it worth sending Gaborik to Ottawa for young prospects playing in the minors as was mentioned?

While it could be good for long term development, I think this team is so close to being a playoff team that for the good of the fans and the city that they make a move that is going to help them now. This team needs to be a playoff team this season.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
  #69
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
So currently Ottawa and the CBJ are tied with 48 points. Even though he is having a down and injury filled year, is it worth sending Gaborik to Ottawa for young prospects playing in the minors as was mentioned?

While it could be good for long term development, I think this team is so close to being a playoff team that for the good of the fans and the city that they make a move that is going to help them now. This team needs to be a playoff team this season.
Yes, it is.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
  #70
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,687
vCash: 500
if we could get some talented youngsters from them without disrupting our team...sure...we're not a cup contender this year, so why not stock ourselves up for the future when we are...

Fro is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
  #71
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
As much as I would have liked to see Gabby be a 30+ guy for us, he wasn't on track for that and he isn't part of the current run for the playoffs. I agree with fro- even if we make the playoffs we're not a Cup contender so why not get as much for Gabby as possible.

EspenK is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 07:55 PM
  #72
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As much as I would have liked to see Gabby be a 30+ guy for us, he wasn't on track for that and he isn't part of the current run for the playoffs. I agree with fro- even if we make the playoffs we're not a Cup contender so why not get as much for Gabby as possible.
Yeah, Fro makes sense.

I wonder, can Jarmo just lay in wait for a team trying to sneak a guy through waivers down to the AHL for the Olympic break?

leesmith is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 08:43 PM
  #73
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if we could get some talented youngsters from them without disrupting our team...sure...we're not a cup contender this year, so why not stock ourselves up for the future when we are...
My contention is that of course they aren't a cup contender. They are a playoff contender. As little as Gaborik has contributed this season, if he can stay healthy for 1 month, the CBJ would essentially be giving a team competing for the same playoff spot a weapon to use against them in the playoff push.

If the CBJ happen to be solidly in the playoffs come the deadline, by all means, but things are so tight right now I don't see that happening over the next 15 games.

If the long term goal is to win a stanley cup, one of the shorter term milestone goals is to simply make the plaoyffs first. The team shouldn't risk an opportunity to simply compete in the playoffs because they don't feel they are a contender.

If we were talking about any team in the West, I say he gets dealt because that has little impact on the CBJ making the playoffs directly.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
  #74
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,687
vCash: 500
Ottawa doesn't really have an effect on us making the playoffs...we just have to get in the top 3 in our division...they're nearly 4 different conferences...so i still don't see it as anything major...

Fro is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:35 PM
  #75
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Ottawa doesn't really have an effect on us making the playoffs...we just have to get in the top 3 in our division...they're nearly 4 different conferences...so i still don't see it as anything major...
The way things are going, Columbus now has a shot at a wild card. Ottawa would be one of the teams that they will be fighting with for a spot. So Ottawa would effect Columbus potentially making/not making the playoffs.

punk_o_holic is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.