Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Freidman: 30 thoughts -- improve game, revenue sharing vs cap increase

12-03-2013, 09:50 AM
vCash: 500
Freidman: 30 thoughts -- improve game, revenue sharing vs cap increase

One year ago today, there was great hope the league would be playing before Christmas; but the next day things went horribly wrong in negotiations.

Thus is seems that the NHL and NHLPA don't trust each other and always seem to want give/take when talking about anything.

Both need to work together to improve the game on the ice.

2. For the first time, I heard an NHL executive predict a $90-million salary cap. He said it last week and his organization expects that number in four or five years. I bounced it off a couple of other guys and they think it's possible. It was funny because one big-market exec said, "I hope so ... good for us," while a couple guys who aren't quite there sighed heavily.

3. Some of you asked via Twitter why NHL teams would be upset when they receive nice cheques from this. One smaller-revenue GM explained it this way: "If the salary cap increases by a larger amount than the money you get, that's trouble."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
12-03-2013, 12:03 PM
vCash: 500
While I think 4-5 years is optimistic, I don't doubt it'll happen.

It's a never ending circle. Teams raise prices to increase their bottom line, and budget. Cap goes up due to increased revenue. Following year, same thing happens... repeat.

And really, there's no way around it. Expenses go up, prices go up. It's just that with how the cap is calculated, with increased revenue, the cap also goes up.

I've been looking for trouble... but trouble hasn't been cooperating!
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote