HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

No GBU

Old
11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
No GBU

nobody starting a GBU?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
nobody starting a GBU?
You can only lick a frozen pole so many times....

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Layne Staley

Quote:
nobody starting a GBU?
G: only allowed 1 goal

B: gained a meaningless point harming the tank

U: 15 sog and 0 goals

I also think Pysyk might benefit from some time in Rochester. IMO, McNabbs rookie stint was much better then Pysyk's, yet McNabb wasn't gifted a top 6 spot and Pysyk was.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

I also think Pysyk might benefit from some time in Rochester. IMO, McNabbs rookie stint was much better then Pysyk's, yet McNabb wasn't gifted a top 6 spot and Pysyk was.
Yah - I don't agree with your assessment of McNabb or Pysyk.

G:
• Foligno dropping Carter with a big shot (but making sure he was ok)
•*Luke getting involved physically and getting into the scoring areas again
• Enroth was really good. Surprised that he finally got beat by that shot from Bernier, but still a great game
• Kumpeet level still high
• Containing NJ's scoring chances generally
• D'Agostini looking more useful than I expected. Could be a good energy guy and defensive forward for us. Maybe.

B:
• SOG differential

U:
• Sulzer's hand grenade

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Sabre the Win
Prayin' for Reinhart

Quote:
nobody starting a GBU?
not need for a GB.. just a U

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:45 AM
Squantosawuss

No GBU

I came here expecting some usual post-game analysis, only to find nobody even bothered to do a GBU.

Say's a lot.

G:
They play the Devils only twice more

B:
"B" is for BAD and BORING
They play the Devils 2 more times

U:
Really everything you don't want a hockey game to be. I thought it was dreadful and draining to watch.

Outlaw the Devils before they ruin hockey completely.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 05:50 AM
tsujimoto74

G:
-Foligno's KO
-Myers again. He keeps this up, and I think he's finally panning out into the player we signed up for with that big contract
-Leino
-Enroth. Made a couple of dandy saves in there.

B:
-14 or 15 shots? Ouch
-Meaningless point hurts the tank

U:
-Henrique. Hope he gets a call from Shanahan about that headbutt.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I came here expecting some usual post-game analysis, only to find nobody even bothered to do a GBU.

Say's a lot.

G:
They play the Devils only twice more

B:
"B" is for BAD and BORING
They play the Devils 2 more times

U:
Really everything you don't want a hockey game to be. I thought it was dreadful and draining to watch.

Outlaw the Devils before they ruin hockey completely.
I said the same thing last night pretty much. Year after year they're always the most boring team in hockey....Only the Devils can make a 4 on 4/OT boring.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

LOL. A 3 response GBU. NICE.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Takeo

That play by Pysyk at the end epitomizes the team very nicely.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Only caught bits and pieces, but they're playing with more pace and they seemed tougher on the puck last night. I thought they had a nice forecheck a few times, which is a complete 180 from the Rolston days.

Other observations:

-Stop screening your goaltender, Mark. At least the third time he's done it since the STL game.

-Moulson has to cash one of those 2nd period chances.

-Leino looks much better.

-I like Hodgson's offensive abilities, but he's still a lost panda in the defensive zone.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Royisgone

Foligno's knock down punch was something to behold in an otherwise nearly unwatchable game.

It is going to get to the point where an entire intermediate class of would-be fighter is not going to dance with this kid. He is too big, too strong, and he knows how to throw a punch.

And yes, Foligno honored the Code nicely by immediately stopping and even carefully holding his opponent's head once he realized he hurt him badly.

John Scott did the same thing effectively last game with Murray. When he saw all that blood and knew Murray was hurt, Scott immediately started looking around to the linesmen to get in and stop proceedings.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good -

- Getting to watch part of it live.
- Getting to watch the rest of it on GCL.
- Foligno taking Carter to task for his stick work. Ryan, don't fight out of your weight class.
- Enroth in the third was excellent.
- Leino continues to look like an NHL player. Even a good one.

Bad -

- So offense... yeah.
- Pysyk faking out on the shot block.

Ugly -

- So offense... yeah.
- Henrique's headbutt.
- Ott's response. Just tune the dumbass up.

12-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

I think we'll be okay

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Foligno's knock down punch was something to behold in an otherwise nearly unwatchable game.

It is going to get to the point where an entire intermediate class of would-be fighter is not going to dance with this kid. He is too big, too strong, and he knows how to throw a punch.

And yes, Foligno honored the Code nicely by immediately stopping and even carefully holding his opponent's head once he realized he hurt him badly.

John Scott did the same thing effectively last game with Murray. When he saw all that blood and knew Murray was hurt, Scott immediately started looking around to the linesmen to get in and stop proceedings.
Yeah, I really liked how Foligno handled that. Great punch, class act in the aftermath. Earns respect.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Kyndig86

Did anyone else really like Girgensons last night??? I don't think we got a single shot on goal or any pressure until he came back.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:12 PM
dugman

U: the NHL schedule, having the Sabres play 3 in 4 nights, then off until next Thursday. At least, a chance for Nolan to do some coaching, I guess....

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:59 PM
snapshot19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Only caught bits and pieces, but they're playing with more pace and they seemed tougher on the puck last night. I thought they had a nice forecheck a few times, which is a complete 180 from the Rolston days.

Other observations:

-Stop screening your goaltender, Mark. At least the third time he's done it since the STL game.

-Moulson has to cash one of those 2nd period chances.

-Leino looks much better.

-I like Hodgson's offensive abilities, but he's still a lost panda in the defensive zone.
I don't see how you have been watching Hodgson's play since Nolan has taken over and not see some positives in his defensive game. It is like night and day in my opinion on how he is getting better in the defensive end. He is in no way a solid two way center yet but to say he's still lost in the defensive zone is a bit much given how anyone who has been watching Hodgson along with the sabres in general should have noticed their defensive game is getting better. I'm just glad Nolan is coaching. The sabres will likely not be a playoff team this year but at least they can make games interesting to watch and hopefully not get blown out on a nightly basis.

snapshot19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
Did anyone else really like Girgensons last night??? I don't think we got a single shot on goal or any pressure until he came back.
I really like Girgensons every game, haha. He's so solid for a rookie. Rarely, if ever, makes a decision that makes you go

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot19 View Post
I don't see how you have been watching Hodgson's play since Nolan has taken over and not see some positives in his defensive game. It is like night and day in my opinion on how he is getting better in the defensive end. He is in no way a solid two way center yet but to say he's still lost in the defensive zone is a bit much given how anyone who has been watching Hodgson along with the sabres in general should have noticed their defensive game is getting better. I'm just glad Nolan is coaching. The sabres will likely not be a playoff team this year but at least they can make games interesting to watch and hopefully not get blown out on a nightly basis.
I've criticized Hodgson's defensive play a lot in the past, but I've also noticed some improvement. I haven't watched a full game in weeks, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
U: the NHL schedule, having the Sabres play 3 in 4 nights, then off until next Thursday. At least, a chance for Nolan to do some coaching, I guess....
Of course the Bills AND Jets just proved that a nice rest (a bye) doesn't necessarily convert to "winning".

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
I really like Girgensons every game, haha. He's so solid for a rookie. Rarely, if ever, makes a decision that makes you go
Among the players still here, Girgensons relative Corsi leads the Sabres forwards by a fair margin.

I don't rely on advanced stats for my hockey opinions but it's interesting when they correspond with what the eyes are seeing on the ice, as opposed to trying to glean something from the box score.

On a semi-related note, Hodgson is only a tick better than Grigorenko. And Larsson was, and remains, best on the team on relative Corsi during a time when everyone else was getting eviscerated.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
KeepCalmandCorsiOn

G: They're giving the fans a four day break from the Sabres. Bless.

What's the earliest an NHL team has ever been eliminated from playoff contention? No doubt this team will break that record.

KeepCalmandCorsiOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:03 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I've criticized Hodgson's defensive play a lot in the past, but I've also noticed some improvement. I haven't watched a full game in weeks, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot19 View Post
I'm tough on Hodgson...and i still am not totally sold on the contract... but there's a notable difference in his defense as it stands now compared to where it was at the beginning of the year.

On a more important note, it's even clearer that Hodgson is applying himself to learning the position on the defensive side and getting better with it. Look closely at his positioning - he's starting to go where he needs to be. Sometimes he gets there a bit late, sometimes too late, but at the very least, he's getting there...I hope it continues to improve. It's a mandate for our success

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmandCorsiOn View Post
What's the earliest an NHL team has ever been eliminated from playoff contention? No doubt this team will break that record.
Not in the East. Teams in the West will likely be eliminated weeks before the Sabres.

There's a good chance one or possibly two teams in the West will finish with close to 95 points and miss the playoffs, and then be rewarded by picking 14th overall in the draft.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote