HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the internal cap hurting the team?

Old
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
sens613

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Every team that isn't in the playoffs is looking to make changes, its what attracts fans to the trade deadline each year.

However with the salary cap rising there is little pressure on the GMs of the top 16 franchises to make player moves purely for financial reasons.
I think you missed the start of this discussion cause your reply doesn't have much to do with it. Not trying to be rude just don't see any correlation to what we were talking about to your post.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Nordic*

If our cap hit is 51 and the limit is 50, we could lose some dead weight by trading away Michalek at 4,33 mill now. Then next season, both his and Phillips' contracts are off our books. By then we do have about 6 mill to spend, but unfortunately those money will go to renewing contracts. So we'll be every bit as bad next season, given the fact that we will still be handicapped by a greedy and poor owner.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
83DIZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
That's pretty compelling that you need to spend money to succeed
not realy..... theres alot of over spenders in the middle of the pack

83DIZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
If our cap hit is 51 and the limit is 50, we could lose some dead weight by trading away Michalek at 4,33 mill now. Then next season, both his and Phillips' contracts are off our books. By then we do have about 6 mill to spend, but unfortunately those money will go to renewing contracts. So we'll be every bit as bad next season, given the fact that we will still be handicapped by a greedy and poor owner.
Don't believe Michalek is tradable at this point in time, he isn't the player he was and the $4.33M contract won't help.

The only contract that potentially will cost much more is Lehner's.

Not sure where the $51M cap hit comes from when the current number is $55.9M

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutineSp00nZ View Post
Well there are people who are angry that Murray 'won't' trade Michalek for a top 4 Defenseman.

So there ya go
Which teams do you expect would want to give up a top 4 D for Michalek?

Michalek could get us a decent pick at the deadline but I think his trade value is probably pretty low. I can't see teams taking a chance on him and giving up a significant roster player unless we really sweeten the deal.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:28 AM
83DIZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Which teams do you expect would want to give up a top 4 D for Michalek?

Michalek could get us a decent pick at the deadline but I think his trade value is probably pretty low. I can't see teams taking a chance on him and giving up a significant roster player unless we really sweeten the deal.
let ppl like me wishfully think.......... lol that being said your right.

83DIZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Don't believe Michalek is tradable at this point in time, he isn't the player he was and the $4.33M contract won't help.

The only contract that potentially will cost much more is Lehner's.

Not sure where the $51M cap hit comes from when the current number is $55.9M
The team is commited to 51M in actual salary this year, but the teams cap hit of the contracts is 55M.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
The team is commited to 51M in actual salary this year, but the teams cap hit of the contracts is 55M.
Guess I should have been more concise in my response to the original post.

The cap hit is the average commitment by the team to its players over the life of the contracts. To look at actuals for any given year isn't reflective of the aggregate commitment.

In the Sens case most of the contracts for their young players escalate year over year for the term, with young players potentially looking at significant increases.

IMO the current year salary commitment is reflective of a team rebuilding via the draft, not a sign the owner's budget is hurting the team.

Cap space alone isn't an indicator that can be used to show player fit or availability.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
exv91

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv91 View Post
Yes IMO it is. But it'll be interesting to see what happens when the cash from the new Rogers TV deal begins to flow to the teams, hopefully Melnyk will use some of that to reinvest in some sorely needed talent.
Quote:
The new TV deal will just push the cap up, players will get more and the net effect is minimal.

Yes the owners get 50% of a bigger pie, but their costs rise due to inflation and their non-player costs.

So there should be a little more available for Melnyk to increase his budget but I wouldn't believe it is much after all the takes.
Well that’s some crazy depression-era style inflation, and some out of proportion misc spending then. I heard, and I’m not sure how accurate this is, that every team will receive a lump sum of approximately $14 million due to the new TV deal with rogers. But given that the cap is going up, and all teams are getting the same, the end effect may be a moot point.

exv91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv91 View Post
Well that’s some crazy depression-era style inflation, and some out of proportion misc spending then. I heard, and I’m not sure how accurate this is, that every team will receive a lump sum of approximately $14 million due to the new TV deal with rogers. But given that the cap is going up, and all teams are getting the same, the end effect may be a moot point.
I heard the Canadian teams will get more than $15M, but remember 50% of that goes to the players share of revenue, leaving Melnyk with 50%.

If we assume that number is $8M for discussion purposes, that has to cover inflationary cost for travel & living, salaries, taxes, then cover the drop in the C$ value (some project it to fall to .88) and any additional cost of existing player contract increases plus renewal contract costs.

So while the TV deal should definitely help, unless Melnyk can grow his local revenues I can't see how $8M covers all the takes and leaves much left over.