HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how to chip over checks while stickhandling

Old
12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
doobie604

vCash: 500
how to chip over checks while stickhandling

not sure what the correct term is, but I've played against some good players who are able skate, stickhandle, and have the puck jump over defender's sticks like a little chip/saucer pass but with regular stickhandle/pushing motion. Anybody know the technique behind it and know how to actually practice that?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:23 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'm thinking they do a saucer pass but just with very little motion or follow through. You can just quickly bump it with the heel of your blade in a very short/small saucer pass motion and it'll jump up just a little for you.

Here's a video I found with short saucer passes that would be good for hopping over defensemen's sticks. Notice he doesn't do the full motion that would give you a long saucer pass but a short, quick bump that makes it hop only a couple feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcl8Bvni5k

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
doobie604

thanks for that. i guess takes a lot of practice to get it right, any attempt at a semi saucer would either make the puck go too far or not jump high enough. It's almost like puck is bouncing like a bball.

Here's a Crosby one, makes it look easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCSJ1uY9bk

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:54 PM
vapor11

soft hands

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:25 AM
LarryO

The trick is to have the puck moving backward just before chipping it forward. Hitting the puck while it's moving toward the blade will make it lift more easily. Observe in the videos that the puck is not stationary at the moment it's being chipped. It's pulled backward just before the moment it's chipped forward.

Last edited by LarryO: 12-05-2013 at 09:33 AM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

A couple years ago I started being able to do the little chip rather effectively. Doing stuff like the drill Crosby does in the video above is a great way to practice. As evidence in the video, it's a lot easier to do it on your backhand than your forehand. Doing it with speed is a different beast entirely and it took me a while to get the confidence to try it out on 1-on-1 battle.

Developing soft hands and working out the finer muscles by stick handling a lot helps tremendously. It's just a matter of trying to do a light saucer pass basically and developing these muscles in your wrist and forearm will give you more control over the action.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Thesensation19

Its a ton of practice. Simple as that. Its like a soccer player being able to or not juggle the ball with his feet and rest of his body.

Its hard but not that difficult to do. Of course when you put in a defender it does get harder lol

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote