HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Clutterbuck/Nino Talk

Old
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
DocAzura

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I really, really don't care. Nobody here should. He's gone, and he won't be a huge loss.
Exactly!

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Nino had two more assists in last night's win over Phoenix. 25 points on the season, thus far.
Oh, BTW, Where were you in December when he got 3 or 4 points? I think your are really Nino's agent just trolling us.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Macch

Quote:
I really, really don't care. Nobody here should. He's gone, and he won't be a huge loss.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Poliz24

The title of this thread should be "The nino hatred club and the crazy clutter connection" Lets actually support Cal, he cares about the team and winning, while Nino just cares about Nino... oh yea and $$

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Lets actually support Cal, he cares about the team and winning, while Nino just cares about Nino... oh yea and $$
And Wang cares about $$ and scraping by. Nino has been a great teammate and a great player.

As for the December, the entire team bottom out. At least Nino competed every day.

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 01-10-2014 at 07:39 PM.
thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Although I still think his agent was the real moaner and not Nino. He'd better be quiet the next time..
I'd like to agree with you, and at first I thought the same.... but last season he was absolutely TEARING the AHL up, then he doesn't get first call up and he pouted.... completely fell off a cliff for almost the rest of the season. I'm not sure where he ended up, but he was solidly at the front of the scoring race before this happened. And I was watching, it's not like he was just slumping.

Quote:
This is not a question at all, he never had issues with his teammates in his whole career.
I beg to differ. It's absolutely a valid question.... when you're a guy the team leans on for offense, and all of a sudden something doesn't go right, and your compete level goes in the tank? That can cause some serious issues with team mates. Now, none of us know what goes on behind closed doors.... but you have to admit, something like that can absolutely effect the rest of the team.

Quote:
I really get why you are bashing him and I don't even want to rate the Clutterbuck-Trade. In the end, this could still turn into a good one from an Isles perspective. Nino's no superstar yet by any means and Clutterbuck will be helpful for the Isles organisation for sure.
But do your really have to call him a locker room cancer and diva etc. just because you are mad at him?
He's one of the most hard working players I've ever seen and a great teammate.
Not bashing Nino the PLAYER at all. Infact, when everyone was calling him a bust.... I was one of his loudest supporters. Nino has a ton of skill, and great genetics for the sport. The Islanders mishandled him early, and his attitude sunk his future here.

All that said, this was a trade that benefited the Islanders anyway. Cal isn't going to post the numbers Nino will offensively, but that isn't his job. We needed more of a veteran presence, and had youth to deal from. Was it optimal value? If you look at it from the standpoint of right after he was drafted, no.... of course not. If you look at where things were at the time, with him demanding to be traded, and sulking in the minors? If the Islanders didn't pull the trigger then, and he had a season in the AHL like he did his first in the NHL.... we wouldn't have even gotten an Andy Hilbert for him!

I'm glad he's working out for you guys. I'm more than satisfied with Cal. If the only thing that the Islanders got out of that whole situation, is them FINALLY learning their lesson with the way they handle prospects? That's good enough for me, to be quite honest. Since then, they have actually taken a more traditional approach to development, and we're starting to bear the fruits of that labor already.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Nino had two more assists in last night's win over Phoenix. 25 points on the season, thus far.
Wow dude no way! That's so cool! I don't care!

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:13 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
Yes they are comparable. They will both be on teams that will not win the Stanley cup this year.
One is on a team currently in a playoff position. The other is on a team that's last place in their division. The trade was a failure. People need to accept the fact, and move on. The Snow apologists are ridiculous. Heck I don't even blame Snow that much. It's like a business hiring the secretary to be the president and actually expecting them to succeed.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:44 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I never understood this dumb trade by Snow. Even if a player asks to be dealt Snow holds the cards. Clutterbuck is a 4th line player dime a dozen. Nino will be a top 6 player with all star potential. Nino is the total package and can do anything Clutter can. Also his agent is correct. Why did Garth call up Nelson and Anders fruggin Lee over him. This trade will haunt us for a long time and it makes me sick to the stomach how good we could have been with Nino on the second line. I rather keep an unhappy Nino then trade him for garbage. I do realize Snow was not trying to rush him but he did earn the call up and he was a better option than boyes and Acton. Nino would be playing for us now on line 2 and if he still wanted to be dealt then fine but at least he would bring back a better return. Snow screwed up this trade. Reminds me of the milbury days. The nightmare co ntinues….....

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
13th Floor

Just for subtle argument that never shows up on HF's point-driven addiction (you know, where I can prove A is better than B by showing points per game), Clutterbuck had a huge hand in turning yesterday's game around when he threw that huge hit on Gonchar. It opened up the whole game, which benefited us greatly. That stuff doesn't show up in the stat sheet when Wild fans come in and post how many secondary assists Nino had last night.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Just for subtle argument that never shows up on HF's point-driven addiction (you know, where I can prove A is better than B by showing points per game), Clutterbuck had a huge hand in turning yesterday's game around when he threw that huge hit on Gonchar. It opened up the whole game, which benefited us greatly. That stuff doesn't show up in the stat sheet when Wild fans come in and post how many secondary assists Nino had last night.
How about the goals against for Nino? Nino is not a good team defense type of guy.
Not good at all. His plus minus is ok because he plays on a decent line.
When he is on the ice, other teams score goals too.

Team defense and team offense is the name of the game.

We are not allow into the interactions of this team but I would bet $$$ to donuts that higher profiled team members did not like or want Nino on this team.
Weight is good friends with most of the high profile players and has Garth's ear.
Trust me, Nino is a "me" player and the rest of the team are "we" players.

Why do you think Hamonic took such a cheap contract with us? He could have pushed for a lot more. How about JT? There is something to chemistry and Nino was not part of it. What we got back was probably not what I liked but at the end of the day his agent/him forced our hands and exposed themselves to the league, hence hurting his overall trade value. It is done leave it alone.

Buffalo had a similar situation with Grinko. Will he sulk like Nino will he try to do better. What happens the next time Grinko is sent to the AHL?
These kids are just whiners, me players.

Last edited by Strome18: 01-13-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Jester9881

They called up Nelson and Lee because their development was way ahead of Ninos. Both those guys developed in the NCAA and in Nelsons case, spent time in the AHL.

No doubt they screwed up his development, for that I will always blame the Islanders management. But the trade itself? The kid had to go, and like it or not, we got what he was worth at that point.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Frankie41987

There is no doubt that Nino has more "skill" than Cal, and had we held onto him we may have been able to get a return some people liked better but there is no reason to hate clutter for the trade. Players like him are not a dime a dozen. A player that constantly is at the top of the league in hits, always hustles, is a relentless penalty killer and can chip in a few goals once in a while. Any team would take that type of player. A good bottom six is often what separates the good teams from the great teams, and is also something we haven't had in a long, long time. It's not something that should be taken for granted.

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:53 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
There is no doubt that Nino has more "skill" than Cal, and had we held onto him we may have been able to get a return some people liked better but there is no reason to hate clutter for the trade. Players like him are not a dime a dozen. A player that constantly is at the top of the league in hits, always hustles, is a relentless penalty killer and can chip in a few goals once in a while. Any team would take that type of player. A good bottom six is often what separates the good teams from the great teams, and is also something we haven't had in a long, long time. It's not something that should be taken for granted.

First off those who mentioned Grigorennko are apples and oranges. Different draft years. Also unlike Grigs Nino was playing well everywhere. Not only at WJ but also in the AHL. Nino was drafted higher and has a much better skill set.
A better comparison is Brett Connolly or even Ryan Johansen. Keep in mind guys like Yakupov Zibanejad and Huberdeau are already getting chances.
Of course none of the above matters. That being said what hurts is picking high top 5. As a fan the reward for sitting through an awful year or few is that valuable future pick. That player who you developoed and you hope will help turn it around. You can't just discard talented draft picks every year unless you want to suck forever.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Frankie41987

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
First off those who mentioned Grigorennko are apples and oranges. Different draft years. Also unlike Grigs Nino was playing well everywhere. Not only at WJ but also in the AHL. Nino was drafted higher and has a much better skill set.
A better comparison is Brett Connolly or even Ryan Johansen. Keep in mind guys like Yakupov Zibanejad and Huberdeau are already getting chances.
Of course none of the above matters. That being said what hurts is picking high top 5. As a fan the reward for sitting through an awful year or few is that valuable future pick. That player who you developoed and you hope will help turn it around. You can't just discard talented draft picks every year unless you want to suck forever.
I agree with most of what you just said. My only gripe about your previous comment was your seemingly disgust (maybe too strong of a word) with Clutterbuck as a player. I think if Cal was a guy who we signed as a free agent and not someone we traded a once top 5 prospect for, a few opinions on him would be different.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Jester9881

If you followed the Sound Tigers last season, and Nino in particular.... you should understand the need to unload him when we did. The guy flat out sulked for half a season.... he probably would have been in the top 3 in scoring had he just done his job. What happens when we don't trade him, and he sulks for an entire season? Now everyone knows he failed in the NHL.... and now he's a malcontent and isn't even putting up numbers in the AHL!

We wouldn't have gotten a bag of pucks for him. It's the sad reality.

Hate the way they mismanaged him, and that he was flat out immature. Don't hate the trade, because it was likely the best we were going to get. I look at it this way, if that situation finally taught the Islanders to develop prospects properly? It was well worth the lesson!

Old
01-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

I don't get why people are even so angry about the trade. Nino is nothing special. If anything they should be angry we drafted that bum and not Cam Fowler.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 05:57 AM
lazycop
F Theo Fleury

I for one don't give a rats *** what Nino does now or in the future. I only care what the Isles do in the next game.

p.s.-I'd venture a guess that not one of the Isles players feel any different than I do.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Snapshotgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I never understood this dumb trade by Snow. Even if a player asks to be dealt Snow holds the cards. Clutterbuck is a 4th line player dime a dozen. Nino will be a top 6 player with all star potential. Nino is the total package and can do anything Clutter can. Also his agent is correct. Why did Garth call up Nelson and Anders fruggin Lee over him. This trade will haunt us for a long time and it makes me sick to the stomach how good we could have been with Nino on the second line. I rather keep an unhappy Nino then trade him for garbage. I do realize Snow was not trying to rush him but he did earn the call up and he was a better option than boyes and Acton. Nino would be playing for us now on line 2 and if he still wanted to be dealt then fine but at least he would bring back a better return. Snow screwed up this trade. Reminds me of the milbury days. The nightmare co ntinues….....
So True. Clutterbum is a dime a dozen but Snow gave him 2.75 mil a year. I can't understand why fans that stick up for this hack with sub par talent with a whopping 8 points so far.

Snapshotgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Frankie41987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshotgoal View Post
So True. Clutterbum is a dime a dozen but Snow gave him 2.75 mil a year. I can't understand why fans that stick up for this hack with sub par talent with a whopping 8 points so far.
Matt Martin only has 5 points, he's even more of a hack! And Cizikas only had 3 more points than Cal in 4 more games played, what a HACK!

Old
01-14-2014, 08:26 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
The Isles simply didn't want Nino on the team. That was pretty apparent. They're really big on character and chemistry, and I think they viewed him as a negative, right or wrong. He was a good, not great, prospect, so the return was not out of line.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Cal is a player "you" hate to play against.
Is Niño a player "you" hate to play against?

Being a good/great hockey player is more than points put up.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshotgoal View Post
How many points did Marty Brodeur put up? How many does Matt Greene have? Willie Mitchell? Mark Staal? Horrible players.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
Cal is a player "you" hate to play against.
Is Niño a player "you" hate to play against?

Being a good/great hockey player is more than points put up.
From what I gathered, Nino was a player you "hate" to hear whining in your lockerroom.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote