HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Talbot Appreciation Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Talbot Appreciation Thread

When I began pimping Talbot around the beginning of the calendar year, it was treated as a joke, with one person specifically asking why we need to get updates on a non-prospect in the Hartford thread.

Talbot has been great in Hartford last year, backstopping otherwise the worst team in the AHL. Now he's doing phenomenally in the NHL. His GAA is 1.58 and his SV% is .940.

Granted, he played only a few games, but this isn't a kid who came out of nowhere. Those of us who watched him in Hartford last year have long been saying he's very capable of NHL play.

Great game by Cam tonight and a great career is ahead of him.

Not bad for a team that is supposed to have had no goalie prospects capable of playing in the NHL!

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:49 PM
eco's bones

Hartford's MVP last year. Really thought he was underrated by a lot of people because I thought he was NHL worthy last year but he's proven so far to be really really good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Oak
#1 Hockey Dad

vCash: 50
Stepped in **** with this kid. Pleasure to have ya Cam!

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:54 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

I loved Beacon's updates because I don't watch the Wolf Pack. I was excited about Cam and he's showing that patience pays off!

WTG Cam!

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Rangerfan4life90

It's only been 5 games, but man has he looked good.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Loffen
Matszerella Cheese

Laaawd Cameron, we're not worthy.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:03 PM
ajdj10

Man crush.

ajdj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:04 PM
GAGLine

I liked Talbot, but we had a string of one year wonders in Hartford. Johnson, Wiikman, Zaba. Remember how high Leslie was on Zaba? Even LeNeveu was talked up for a bit because Allaire supposedly liked him. None of these goalies were able to take the next step and the Rangers didn't seem in any hurry to give any of them a chance to see if they could be a backup.

So as much as I liked the way Talbot played last year, I wasn't ready to name him heir to the throne. I'm glad he's gotten a chance to play and I'm thrilled that he's doing so well. Hopefully he keeps it up.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Kokoschka

Appreciated.

Kokoschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I liked Talbot, but we had a string of one year wonders in Hartford. Johnson, Wiikman, Zaba. Remember how high Leslie was on Zaba? Even LeNeveu was talked up for a bit because Allaire supposedly liked him. None of these goalies were able to take the next step and the Rangers didn't seem in any hurry to give any of them a chance to see if they could be a backup.

So as much as I liked the way Talbot played last year, I wasn't ready to name him heir to the throne. I'm glad he's gotten a chance to play and I'm thrilled that he's doing so well. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Chad Johnson was close to being a solid back up before he left. He is and has been a decent back up in Phoenix and now Boston.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Hartford misses Cam right now. The Rangers are loving him. And that's the sign of a system working well. I really hope this continues! I know I've seen the potential the last couple of seasons.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I do remember a lot of people saying he wasn't going to play in the NHL in a few threads this summer/fall.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Thinly-veiled I-told-you-so-thread.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:43 PM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
Congrats on your first Shutout Killa Cam! Cool as a ****ing cucumber.

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:44 PM
eyjee
the basement

Cool. We have a reliable backup.

eyjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Cool. We have a reliable backup.
I think you mistakenly wrote backup in place of star goalie, and bolded it, amplifying the error.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

One day I'll disagree with you. One day. And when that day comes, run and hide. Run, and, hide.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Talbot through 5 games has still allowed fewer goals than Biron did through 2.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Saving Captain Ryan
Registered Drug User

Kid looks legit, legit as a starting nhl goalie. What do we do?

Saving Captain Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:47 AM
PIM

If Cam can take on an increasing workload this year, up until the trade deadline, and keep his performance at this caliber.... Is there any reason NOT to move Hank for a king's ransom at the deadline? Less than a third of the cap hit, and it's not like he's a kid- 27 years old, mature, dependable. Gets it done humbly and isn't a narcissist. Sounds good to me. Hank for Evander Kane. Leggo.

PIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Guy's been solid and poised, albeit through a very meager amount of games. That said, I'm not sure how people are advocating even the idea of getting rid of Lundqvist in favor of a guy with such an utterly tiny sample size.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
If Cam can take on an increasing workload this year, up until the trade deadline, and keep his performance at this caliber.... Is there any reason NOT to move Hank for a king's ransom at the deadline? Less than a third of the cap hit, and it's not like he's a kid- 27 years old, mature, dependable. Gets it done humbly and isn't a narcissist. Sounds good to me. Hank for Evander Kane. Leggo.

Too early to do that. Let's re-sign Hank, reevaluate things in 2 years.

Keep in mind that Talbot has a tendency to give up WTF goals. He hasn't done it yet, but it's coming. He cut down on those every year since he made the pros, but he's keeping his concentration levels at 100% right now because he's just starting. Let's see if he can continue to do that and not give up any WTF goals like he did in Hartford.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIM View Post
If Cam can take on an increasing workload this year, up until the trade deadline, and keep his performance at this caliber.... Is there any reason NOT to move Hank for a king's ransom at the deadline?
Yes there is, and that something is called consistency. Hank has that in spades, as he has proven throughout the years. With him, you know what you get.

All props to Talbot this far, by all means, he has been absolutely stellar (in my opinion).

The trading deadline is early March just after the Olympics, so in three and a half months, one and a half months before the playoffs. Say Talbot gets another 10 - 15 games during that stretch.

To promote him to starting goalie after 15 - 20 or so games is almost beyond crazy as i see it

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:14 AM
PIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Too early to do that. Let's re-sign Hank, reevaluate things in 2 years.

Keep in mind that Talbot has a tendency to give up WTF goals. He hasn't done it yet, but it's coming. He cut down on those every year since he made the pros, but he's keeping his concentration levels at 100% right now because he's just starting. Let's see if he can continue to do that and not give up any WTF goals like he did in Hartford.
Good luck getting Hank to take a two year deal, lol. He's gonna get paid til he's 40 after this season, whether it's from us or not. And I fully expect him to be the highest paid goalie in the league.

I know Talbot's big knock in the A was rebound control, but he seems to have that on lockdown. It's also important to keep in mind the team situation- we have a limited time left with the pieces currently in place, and in the next couple years we could build a cup team around what we have. Kane is a UFA in 15, imagine what clearing Hank's cap hit would do for our bidding power in that situation, for example. Snag Kane before Nash declines, plus the pieces that buying out Richards would make room for and the sheer trade value we could get from Hank on top of that if we move him before or at the deadline.

PIM is offline   Reply With Quote