HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Ryan Getzlaf in the 2003 draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2013, 11:28 AM
  #1
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Ryan Getzlaf in the 2003 draft

I know he went quite a few spots after Jessiman, so it's not like he dropped, but he's a big skilled guy and a center. Jessiman was supposed to be a big skilled guy but he wasn't a center, I believe. Jessiman was also quite a project. Why didn't the Rangers go with Getzlaf? I can't figure it out. Imagine how set we'd be with Getzlaf at center. Maybe in 11-12 we win a cup, though I'm not sure if we get Gaborik. Ugh, Jessiman was one of the biggest drafting blunders all time for any sport (Portland passing over MJ has to be #1).

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:32 AM
  #2
Crease
Moderator
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Because Getzlaf didn't grow up a Rangers fan.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  #3
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Because Getzlaf didn't grow up a Rangers fan.
LOL that is probably a part of it, a sad sad part.

I remember the Knicks drafting some stiff in the 2nd round in the early 2000s, has to be 01 or something. The only thing they said was "he's a big Yankees fan", that's how I knew would do nothing. That's the best thing you can say about the guy? How ridiculous this was. Was it on Clark, Maloney, Sather? All of the above. Set the franchise back years. What a joke. Just makes me incensed.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
  #4
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
That pick will haunt my dreams forever.


Forever.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:42 AM
  #5
Paulie Walnutz
Corsi? Fuhgedaboudit
 
Paulie Walnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,383
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Paulie Walnutz
Ah, Stool Specimen

Paulie Walnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  #6
silverfish
Not a GM
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alphabetrium
Country: United States
Posts: 30,580
vCash: 500
I ****ing loathe Jessiman threads.

If there was a 6'5" power forward on the board today who put up 52 points in 18 high school games, then dropped 47 in 34 as a freshman at Dartmouth, you'd all be pining so hard for him.

The only pre-draft rankings I can find are from Sports Illustrated.

They have Jessiman 20th, Getzlaf 5th. Getzlaf ended up going 19th.

Some names ahead of Jessiman on that ranking? Fritsche, Bernier, Stone, Pouliot, O'Sullivan, Stewart, Kevin Klein (who went in the 2nd round).

****ing please people. Your hindsight glasses make you all the best GMs in the world. Enjoy your armchair futures.

Get over it.


silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:52 AM
  #7
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
One positive thought about not drafting a guy like Getzlaf, maybe if we do we don't sign Gomez and don't get McDonagh.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  #8
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I ****ing loathe Jessiman threads.

If there was a 6'5" power forward on the board today who put up 52 points in 18 high school games, then dropped 47 in 34 as a freshman at Dartmouth, you'd all be pining so hard for him.

The only pre-draft rankings I can find are from Sports Illustrated.

They have Jessiman 20th, Getzlaf 5th. Getzlaf ended up going 19th.

Some names ahead of Jessiman on that ranking? Fritsche, Bernier, Stone, Pouliot, O'Sullivan, Stewart, Kevin Klein (who went in the 2nd round).

****ing please people. Your hindsight glasses make you all the best GMs in the world. Enjoy your armchair futures.

Get over it.

So what you're saying is that Getzlaf who is a 6'4 power forward was ranked 5th, 15 spots ahead of Jessiman and we took Jessiman? Ok then. Why did Getzlaf drop anyway?

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:55 AM
  #9
Leetch3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I ****ing loathe Jessiman threads.

If there was a 6'5" power forward on the board today who put up 52 points in 18 high school games, then dropped 47 in 34 as a freshman at Dartmouth, you'd all be pining so hard for him.

The only pre-draft rankings I can find are from Sports Illustrated.

They have Jessiman 20th, Getzlaf 5th. Getzlaf ended up going 19th.

Some names ahead of Jessiman on that ranking? Fritsche, Bernier, Stone, Pouliot, O'Sullivan, Stewart, Kevin Klein (who went in the 2nd round).

****ing please people. Your hindsight glasses make you all the best GMs in the world. Enjoy your armchair futures.

Get over it.

i remember RLR had jessiman as the 4th best player in the draft and projected him to be joe thornton lol

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:03 PM
  #10
silverfish
Not a GM
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alphabetrium
Country: United States
Posts: 30,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i remember RLR had jessiman as the 4th best player in the draft and projected him to be joe thornton lol
This is what I'm saying. The draft, for all that it's worth, is a crap shoot for the most part outside the top 3 or top 5. I'm sure you could argue it, though. Then when things don't turn out, everyone turns into captain hindsight.

Was HF Boards populated in 2003? Show me some reaction posts to the Jessiman drafting. I'm sure they weren't that negative. 10 years later, everyone's an expert!

I'd say we made out pretty well. I'll live with Jessiman in the first round, as long as you all can live with Hank in the 7th. Though I'm sure Snowblind still hates that we wasted a 7th rounder on some scrub named Henrik

For fun, here are some reactions to the drafting of Bobby Sanguinetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety View Post
Local kid from Jersey. Next to Erik Johnson probably the best offensive defenseman in the draft. Obviously there is some risk involved because a couple scouts said that he is not physical. He's only 18 so we will see. But if in a few years he can play the point on the powerplay better than Poti, I'll be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Like the pick too. Definitely not a reach where we took him. Remember when we took Leetch way back when. That was controversial at the time because he was very scrawny--like 5'11 170.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
With the emphasis in today's game on speed and skill, mobile defenseman who can handle the puck and provide offense are quite an asset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This is another asset to add to the Rangers porfolio. Yes I know the Rangers could've drafted Berglund but if the Rangers had each player equal on the draft board I'm glad they took the defenseman.

A question mark defenseman retains there value more than a question mark forward does. The Rangers organization is becoming so loaded with prospects that at some point they are going to have to move some to make room for the new ones. A nice problem to have..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Seems like a solid pick, can't hurt to have more defensive depth, especially when we need someone who can develop into a PP point man, and overall strong offensive defenseman. Adding a forward like Anisimov in the 2nd makes me fine with going defense with this pick.
Nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Good pick. I actually did not expect for him to be there are 21. Probably the best pure offensive defenseman in the draft. What I do not like is what others do not like. The the lack of desire to get involved physicaly and the desire to win battles. Very Poti-like, though not the aversion that Poti seems to have. Like Poti, he's got the talent. But like Thelen a few years ago, that is not enough. However the pure offensive skills are better than any other defensive prospect in the organization. If the Rangers could get him to play to his talent level, then they have a very nice addittion to the defensive future corps.
Very nice pick. It also bolsters the depth at defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The kid has some work to do but Pock he is not.

I'd like to emphasize the defense is not really bad, it's the physical play that will need to be worked on.

Repeat, it's not that he is a one dimensional player.

Anyone expecting a finished product at 21 is just not being fair.

I am more content with moves like this in the 20's in a draft like this than a real reach with a much higher pick in a much much deeper draft.

There is no comparison to the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Flyers were ready to pounce on Bobby Sanguinetti.That club knows their OHL players.Justin Williams.Jeff Carter.Mike Richards.Steve Downie.Last year,they coveted Marc Staal and Bobby Ryan



http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14898065.htm

Anytime the Cryers are unhappy is a great day for hockey
Sure the Flyers are still really unhappy with Giroux as a consolation Goes to show though, crap shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
You know Jessiman isnt a bust yet....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
I'm absolutely loving this pick. Don't be fooled by people saying he's soft, because he's not. All of the scouting reports, plus McGuire, McKenzie, and all of those guys said that he just hasn't matured physically yet. He isn't afraid to take a hit from what I've read, and he's got incredible smarts. His on-ice vision is exceptional, and his passing is tape-to-tape. His skating is excellent, maybe the best skating defenseman in the draft. Plus, he's a great power play qb, and can lead the rush if needed. This guy's potential is through the roof, he could quite possibly be a top pairing guy one day. It's great to hear that his problem isn't inconsistency, but just a lack of filling out his body. It seems that mentally, he's very mature. He just needs to bulk up.

I'm not sold on Anisimov being a better pick than Berglund. Anisimov from what I've read is very inconsistent, and can be a complete non-factor if he isn't scoring or playing physically. He's sound defensively, but he needs to be a lot more consistent to pan out the way we need him to.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=262653&page=2

TO THE POSTERS WHO I HAVE QUOTED IN THIS POST THAT ARE STILL ACTIVE ON HF:

I'm not "calling you out" just providing examples.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:08 PM
  #11
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 26,033
vCash: 500
Getzlaf, Parise, Brown, Glazachev, Perry, Kesler, Seabrook, Stuart were names thrown around by pundits and fans when it came to the Rangers pick. Carter, Phaneuf, Vanek were talked up quite a bit but most knew those guys were going to be picked up by #12.

Getzlaf made sense at the time. Big strong kid playing in Alberta, how could Slats pass?

They said Getzlaf was a 'choppy' skater

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  #12
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Except that was a late 1st round pick in a weak draft. Not an upper half first round pick in the possibly the strongest draft ever. Besides my question is more specific, why not Getzlaf? Is that extra inch on Jessiman that important? Was Jessiman more built?

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:14 PM
  #13
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
You guys also fail to realize that not every players growth is set in stone. Just because Getzlaf has become the player he has now, does not mean that he would have given he was in a different situation. There are sooo many variables to player growth, it is really silly to talk about imo.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:16 PM
  #14
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
You guys also fail to realize that not every players growth is set in stone. Just because Getzlaf has become the player he has now, does not mean that he would have given he was in a different situation. There are sooo many variables to player growth, it is really silly to talk about imo.
I'd assume he'd still be a much better player than Jessiman who was a complete bust.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:18 PM
  #15
Mr Atoz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
These threads remind me of Dan Marino and the famous 1983 draft. Six quarterbacks were drafted in the first round. Miami picked next to last. Five quarterbacks were already taken when their pick came. They took Marino and everyone anointed Don Shula a genius.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:19 PM
  #16
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'd assume he'd still be a much better player than Jessiman who was a complete bust.
You may assume that, but there is no way to prove one way or the other. There is also no way to know if Jessiman might have done better in a different situation himself. Like I said player growth depends on many, many factors. Speculation of what he would have been for us is silly.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
  #17
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
You may assume that, but there is no way to prove one way or the other. There is also no way to know if Jessiman might have done better in a different situation himself. Like I said player growth depends on many, many factors. Speculation of what he would have been for us is silly.
Eh, anything's possible, but I think you're taking too many liberties. It's not like comparing say Crosby and Tavares and saying that with the Islanders Crosby would look the same as Tavares, not the superstar he is. It's an NHL borderline superstar and a guy that played a handful of games. The gap is too large for me to believe that Getzlaf wouldn't be a significantly better player.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
  #18
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

TO THE POSTERS WHO I HAVE QUOTED IN THIS POST THAT ARE STILL ACTIVE ON HF:

I'm not "calling you out" just providing examples.
Too bad those posters either rarely post or don't at all anymore. Beats the "I'm smarter than everyone else" or the 500 post first month than vanish into oblivion crowd these days. With that said, I have now finally hit 1,000 posts after nearly 12 years.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:43 PM
  #19
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Eh, anything's possible, but I think you're taking too many liberties. It's not like comparing say Crosby and Tavares and saying that with the Islanders Crosby would look the same as Tavares, not the superstar he is. It's an NHL borderline superstar and a guy that played a handful of games. The gap is too large for me to believe that Getzlaf wouldn't be a significantly better player.
Well we just have a different view on prospect developement, that's all. I believe that these guys all have to have a large amount of talent to even be drafted at all, let alone in the first round. To me it is all in how they are developed. Sure some of it is physical developement, but the NHL game is SO much mental, there are so many variables in ones mental makeup and what makes each person achieve to their greatest extent. It is fine if you see things differently, since both are strictly opinions, we can just agree to disagree .

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
  #20
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Well we just have a different view on prospect developement, that's all. I believe that these guys all have to have a large amount of talent to even be drafted at all, let alone in the first round. To me it is all in how they are developed. Sure some of it is physical developement, but the NHL game is SO much mental, there are so many variables in ones mental makeup and what makes each person achieve to their greatest extent. It is fine if you see things differently, since both are strictly opinions, we can just agree to disagree .
That's fine, but these weren't the pre-lockout Rangers. The Rangers have developed prospects. I think you're exonerating Jessiman too much if you think that he just wasn't developed at all. Kreider is also a big guy with good skill, if he retired today he'd be a better pick than Jessiman.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:49 PM
  #21
Machinehead
AV is Trash
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Germany
Posts: 69,567
vCash: 500


Ten years ago Sather ****ed up at the draft. It's all been said. It's over now.

__________________
The Girardi kid is all of us
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:52 PM
  #22
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post


Ten years ago Sather ****ed up at the draft. It's all been said. It's over now.
This thread was specifically about Getzlaf though. I always understood that the Rangers wanted to get a power forward because of the game back then. Then I was thinking about Getzlaf who is also big. That's why I asked. This is not a "why did Sather draft Jessiman?" thread, it's a "why didn't he draft Getzlaf specifically since he had the measurables of Jessiman?"

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:54 PM
  #23
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
That's fine, but these weren't the pre-lockout Rangers. The Rangers have developed prospects. I think you're exonerating Jessiman too much if you think that he just wasn't developed at all. Kreider is also a big guy with good skill, if he retired today he'd be a better pick than Jessiman.
The point wasn't to exonerate Jessiman, it was to outline the fact that it is beyond silly to compare old picks as there is no way to possibly guarantee that any prospect would have developed the same way for your particular team. Who knows, maybe it is possible that Jessiman would have done better in a smaller market or a better team or different coaches, or a different system, whatever it would have been. To speculate is just that, speculation. You can say Getzlaf would be the superstar he is now in any situation...maybe that is so. But maybe not. Once again, we are speculating. Sure there are players that transcend all of this, the generational types like crosby, ovy, the great one ect...but I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that Getzlaf is that kind of player.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
  #24
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 25,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
The point wasn't to exonerate Jessiman, it was to outline the fact that it is beyond silly to compare old picks as there is no way to possibly guarantee that any prospect would have developed the same way for your particular team. Who knows, maybe it is possible that Jessiman would have done better in a smaller market or a better team or different coaches, or a different system, whatever it would have been. To speculate is just that, speculation. You can say Getzlaf would be the superstar he is now in any situation...maybe that is so. But maybe not. Once again, we are speculating. Sure there are players that transcend all of this, the generational types like crosby, ovy, the great one ect...but I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that Getzlaf is that kind of player.
Except Jessiman didn't even play in the large market he never got a chance to play for the Rangers.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 01:03 PM
  #25
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Except Jessiman didn't even play in the large market he never got a chance to play for the Rangers.
Well he was in the Rangers organization which is on the big stage compared to other organizations. Plus that is only one variable, I am not sure what you are arguing? You beleive that Jessiman would have failed no matter what. I have addressed that I know that is your opinon. Are you trying to prove an opinion? lol

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.