HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Listening to Canadians about the Giroux snub, we can safely say that...

Old
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Riddum

vCash: 500
Listening to Canadians about the Giroux snub, we can safely say that...

He's become the most overrated player in the league. Giroux is barely a top 20 Canadian forward. What's so criminal about the fact that he didn't make the team?

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
cheeeko

The fact that Nash did

cheeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
AtlasRust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeko View Post
The fact that Nash did
+1

Nash is a career bum. Giroux has the 2nd most points in the NHL over the past 3 years.

AtlasRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Taunted
Saved by Draft '13

vCash: 50
Quote:
The fact that Nash did

This

Taunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddum View Post
He's become the most overrated player in the league. Giroux is barely a top 20 Canadian forward. What's so criminal about the fact that he didn't make the team?
Statistics and common opinion says that's completely and utterly wrong so there's that.

Other then that there's the fact that clearly inferior players made it over him a la Rick Nash being the prime suspect.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CertainAffinity*

Quote:
Since his 15 game slump to start the season, his point production has been insane. He's also defensively responsible, albeit far from elite.

It's not criminal that he was left off, but I would have taken him before Nash or Carter, certainly.

Plus, I just wanted to see Sharp - Toews - Giroux in real life, and not just NHL 14.

Sharp - Toews - Tavares will have to do, I suppose.

CertainAffinity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
The fact that Nash did
Giroux is not a top 4 Canadian center. He's competing for a wing position. At wing, I'll take Nash and his 7 30 goal seasons (plus 21 in a shortened season) over Giroux 10 times out of 10.

This isn't a beauty pageant where everyone just gets to ooh and ah and the amazing names on the back of the sweaters. Team Canada actually has to compete, and they will do so with a real team that has real roles.

Claude Giroux is a top 9 playmaking center. He's not one of Canada's 3 best at that position.

01-07-2014, 05:15 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Canada's picks really puzzle me. Bringing a lot of guys back on reputation alone, but at the same time snubbing some seemingly slam dunk guys.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:15 PM
blinds

Quote:
You must have some weird criteria for deciding good players.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ers-stats.html

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ers-stats.html

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
keslerbomb

Isn't Giroux second only to Malkin in points over the last 3 seasons? In what world is he not a top 20 Canadian forward.

keslerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Giroux is not a top 4 Canadian center. He's competing for a wing position. At wing, I'll take Nash and his 7 30 goal seasons (plus 21 in a shortened season) over Giroux 10 times out of 10.

This isn't a beauty pageant where everyone just gets to ooh and ah and the amazing names on the back of the sweaters. Team Canada actually has to compete, and they will do so with a real team that has real roles.

Claude Giroux is a top 9 playmaking center. He's not one of Canada's 3 best at that position.
Giroux also has a lot of experience playing wing and his game translates pretty well to wing.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
rileymac79

vCash: 778
Quote:

wonder why? Rangers fan?

rileymac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Macslow*

Giroux is easily a top 10 Canadian forward along with a few others that didn't make the "cut". If they want to take lesser players and hope for the best, so be it!

Macslow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileymac79 View Post
wonder why? Rangers fan?
Also an american

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
cheeeko

Quote:

As someone pointed out already, Giroux has the 2nd most points of Canadians skaters the last 3 years.

What more can a guy do to get on the team?

Nash is a good player, but since leaving Columbus he's been underwhelming. Giroux at wing is a better option than Nash, I don't understand how you turn down that level of skill. Nash has done nothing to deserve making the team this time. 2010 was a different story.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
TOML

What about Sid likely hating G's guts?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
cheeeko

Also, the juniors just make the mistake of not bringing some of it's most skilled players to the show, and look how it cost them. I know it's juniors vs the best in the world, but the idea is the same. Turning away Giroux's skill for a lesser player that makes the team more "complete" is ridiculous.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:22 PM
hockeyfreak7

I have been unsure of Giroux's odds to make the team all year for the exact reason given today: fit. He's easily a top 10 Canadian forward, but the reality is that they have dynamic playmakers a plenty in Canada. The presence of Crosby, Getzlaf, and Tavares made Giroux's inclusion less of a certainty, and today that was confirmed.

I thought his ability to shift easily to the wing would be his saving grace, clearly the Canada brass felt the team had enough skill without Giroux. I personally feel you can never have enough skill when you are talking about players like Giroux, but that's an entirely different conversation. EDIT: I agree with the above post. The WJC should be evidence that leaving elite, skilled players at home is a mistake in a best on best tournament. If we're talking about a highly talented player being subbed for a lesser talented, more "complete" player (ie, Hall vs. Marleau), then you can make an easy case for the latter. But when you're talking about an elite talent like Giroux, I simply don't see the argument to be made.

I can understand the snub, but this isn't confirmation that Giroux isn't an elite player or that he's overrated. It's just confirmation that Canada is just ridiculously loaded with highly skilled playmaking forwards. Inferring anymore than that is simply confirmation bias.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:22 PM
keslerbomb

Quote:
As someone pointed out already, Giroux has the 2nd most points of Canadians skaters the last 3 years.
Not just Canadian skaters, all skaters. The only guy ahead of him is a Russian. Of course Crosby being hurt so much is why, but OP arguing that he's not a top 20 Canadian forward is insane.

keslerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Barely a top 20 Canadian forward?

Thanks for the laugh OP.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Giroux also has a lot of experience playing wing and his game translates pretty well to wing.
Quote:

Nash is a good player, but since leaving Columbus he's been underwhelming. Giroux at wing is a better option than Nash, I don't understand how you turn down that level of skill. Nash has done nothing to deserve making the team this time. 2010 was a different story.
Giroux has played wing, and no question he has alot of skill. But I'd much rather have a natural goal scorer lining up next to Crosby or Getzlaf.

As far as the 2nd most points the last 3 years, if you wanna argue Giroux over Tavares or Getzlaf that's a different story. You can't argue Giroux over Nash. They're not competing for the same spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileymac79 View Post
wonder why? Rangers fan?
If you think that's a factor, ask me how confident I am in Team Sweden's goaltending.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:

I just posted this in the Olympics thread, but:

I don't know if people are completely ignorant of this or just completely ignoring this, but Giroux didn't stick at center until Richards and Carter were moved. So he spent a lot of his time at the wing position for his first couple seasons in the NHL.

He's also not a stand-out face-off or two-way player (he's not bad at either, but not great at either) so his game can transition to wing and not miss much at least in terms of individual play.

So if they moved him to wing, even 7th in scoring is way more then good enough to make the team. That's without considering that he's been an elite point producer if we stretch back the seasons one or two before 2013.

I don't know where people are getting this scapegoat idea that Giroux can't transition to wing for some reason. Whatever.

Ignoring that, we all get why Nash made the team, but you can't really defend the reasoning. He's been terrible this season and even when he's at his usual 30 G, 70'ish P self he's a borderline guy or at least close to it. Giroux's point production is flat-out elite over the last few seasons and he's one of the few guys in the entire league capable of the production he can and has done.

We all get the reasoning, it's just stupid reasoning.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Quote:

Just IMO - but TC was looking for 3 things from it's wingers:

1) Goalscoring
2) Skating ability
3) Defensive acumen

TC decided that they really wanted traditional wingers, and not a bunch of centers that were converted to the wing. And I totally get that Giroux played the wing recently, but he (and MSL) play more like "traditional centers". By that, they are playmakers that look to set others up. TC wasn't looking for that, and so Giroux wasn't competing against Nash/Carter, but rather Crosby, Getzlaf, Tavares & Toews, which is why he didn't make the team.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
rileymac79

vCash: 778
Quote:
Giroux has played wing, and no question he has alot of skill. But I'd much rather have a natural goal scorer lining up next to Crosby or Getzlaf.

As far as the 2nd most points the last 3 years, if you wanna argue Giroux over Tavares or Getzlaf that's a different story. You can't argue Giroux over Nash. They're not competing for the same spot.

If you think that's a factor, ask me how confident I am in Team Sweden's goaltending.
You're just a Cam Talbot lover now, giving up on the king.

rileymac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
FlyRoutine

Quote:
You like embarrassing yourself? Maybe a bit masochistic?
Please, for gods sake, post your top 20 canadian fwd list.

FlyRoutine is offline   Reply With Quote