HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg and Naslund to be packaged together.

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Peter

vCash: 500
Forsberg and Naslund to be packaged together.

According to a report over at Sportsnet.ca (under hockey hearsay) there is a newspaper report that quotes both Naslund and Forsberg as well as one of their agents saying that, yes they have asked to be packaged together.

Naslund said he is happy to hear how much Vancouver wants him but he is making no comment at this time regarding singing/not signing with Canucks.

No one in Vancouver front office wants to answer any questions concerning this because of tampering charges (re: Forsberg) but Tambellini did say they were going to do all they could to sign Naslund.

The report also said that Naslund was expecting an offer this week from Vancouver and Tambellini confirmed this fact.

When Naslund was asked how to premier fowards, both probably commanding 7.8 million each how any one team could afford them he said, "I am not sure. It will be interesting to see how this might work out."

You know, I have a feeling that we might see Forsberg and Naslund in Vancouver.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:42 PM
bhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
According to a report over at Sportsnet.ca (under hockey hearsay) there is a newspaper report that quotes both Naslund and Forsberg as well as one of their agents saying that, yes they have asked to be packaged together.

Naslund said he is happy to hear how much Vancouver wants him but he is making no comment at this time regarding singing/not signing with Canucks.

No one in Vancouver front office wants to answer any questions concerning this because of tampering charges (re: Forsberg) but Tambellini did say they were going to do all they could to sign Naslund.

The report also said that Naslund was expecting an offer this week from Vancouver and Tambellini confirmed this fact.

When Naslund was asked how to premier fowards, both probably commanding 7.8 million each how any one team could afford them he said, "I am not sure. It will be interesting to see how this might work out."

It's possible. At this point though he could end up anywhere. There is just a good a chance for him to end up on the ducks as there is on the Nucks.

If we did get Foppa what would our lines look like? Would he want to play on the top line with Naslund? Will he want to play center?

Naslund-Foppa-Bert
Sedin-Mo-Cooke

Naslund-Mo-Foppa
Sedin-Sedin-Bert

Naslund-Sedin-Foppa
?-Mo-Bert

Old
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
deathbear

it will be impossible for them to sign with anyone if they both want the max.

at the end of the day, i think both naslund and forsberg will sign with their most fecent clubs.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhar
It's possible. At this point though he could end up anywhere. There is just a good a chance for him to end up on the ducks as there is on the Nucks.

If we did get Foppa what would our lines look like? Would he want to play on the top line with Naslund? Will he want to play center?

Naslund-Foppa-Bert
Sedin-Mo-Cooke

Naslund-Mo-Foppa
Sedin-Sedin-Bert

Naslund-Sedin-Foppa
?-Mo-Bert

I'd put Forsberg on the wing in place of Bert. Move Bert down to the twins line.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Peter

Quote:

Naslund-Foppa-Bert
Sedin-Mo-Cooke

Naslund-Mo-Foppa
Sedin-Sedin-Bert

Naslund-Sedin-Foppa
?-Mo-Bert
With Federov in Anaheim I think it would be more difficult for Burke to get both Forsberg and Naslund and give the three of them enough ice time to fit their contracts. But that is just my opinion.

If the Canucks do get Naslund and Forsberg (man I just can't wait if it is true) then I would imagine that perhaps Morrison gets traded.

You have to give the Sedin's 2nd line time this year I think and Forsberg would obviously be the #1 center. So moving Morrison would really be the only option and thus also freeing up cap room.

Another scenario is having Henrik center the 3rd line with Forsberg and Morrison in front of him but I think that would be difficult for Henrik to take and max us out at the cap.

A third scenario is moving Morrison to the wing with the Sedins or moving him to the wings with Naslund and Forsberg. That would certainly make us a constant scoring threat.

But who knows....it is all just conjecture at this point.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
canucks666

Quote:
funny how we can read the same thing but come up with opposite conclusions.

quite frankly i'm now thinking we're gonna not see EITHER of them.

the only team that could offer them both the max would have to fill out the rest of the roster with minimally-paid pluggers. this wouldn't be a championship roster, so forsberg/naslund wouldn't go for that.

So I guarantee you they'll take less than the max. With that being said, I don't see naslund going to colorado and i don't see forsberg coming here (for obvious reasons). So, I see them both ending up in some "neutral" place. Maybe anaheim. maybe elsewhere.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:59 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
You know, I have a gut feeling that we *might* see Forsberg and Naslund in Colorado.

Adam Foote won't be re-signed, and Milan Hejduk is traded for cheaper 2nd line and/or D talent.

There's just as likely a chance it's with Colorado than it is with the Canucks, let's understand that first and foremost.

And what are those chances, anyhow?

Probably somewhere around 15-20%.

I don't see Markus leaving Vancouver, and I don't see Peter leaving Colorado.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:02 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't see Forsberg signing here... but if by some miracle he does, I don't think Morrison gets traded.

He wants a long term deal with the club - and along with Salo and Ohlund, has made it clear he likes it here and wants to stay with the club longterm. The canucks will try and make that happen I think. It's important to keep your key players that want to be here on longterm deals.

If Forsberg comes, it's going to be a temporary solution. Even if he wants to play for another 5 yrs in the NHL, he isn't likely to sign for more than 1 yr, and then reevaluate his situation again. If he wants to come to Vancouver he can pull a Kariya - with Naslund (like Selanne last year), getting the big contract, and Forsberg accepting less to play here. Afterall the guy has been making $11mill a year in the NHL as it is.

If it comes down to dealing Morrison to have Forsberg here, the canucks will probably look at other options instead of moving a guy who is going to be a longterm fixture on the team.

Wouldn't it be great if we get Forsberg, Niedermayer and Kariya all signing for cheap? Kariya would be a good fit with Mo on the 2nd unit and give us 3 scoring lines.... okay, that ain't realistic, but it's finally nice to see some stars being linked to the canucks, and more importantly all saying they'd want to play here (well outside of Forsberg who hasn't made any comments on Vancouver).... having a club that top players want to go to is going to make all the difference in the world in a capped league!

Old
07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I don't see Forsberg signing here... but if by some miracle he does, I don't think Morrison gets traded.

He wants a long term deal with the club - and along with Salo and Ohlund, has made it clear he likes it here and wants to stay with the club longterm. The canucks will try and make that happen I think. It's important to keep your key players that want to be here on longterm deals.

If Forsberg comes, it's going to be a temporary solution. Even if he wants to play for another 5 yrs in the NHL, he isn't likely to sign for more than 1 yr, and then reevaluate his situation again. If he wants to come to Vancouver he can pull a Kariya - with Naslund (like Selanne last year), getting the big contract, and Forsberg accepting less to play here. Afterall the guy has been making $11mill a year in the NHL as it is.

If it comes down to dealing Morrison to have Forsberg here, the canucks will probably look at other options instead of moving a guy who is going to be a longterm fixture on the team.

Wouldn't it be great if we get Forsberg, Niedermayer and Kariya all signing for cheap? Kariya would be a good fit with Mo on the 2nd unit and give us 3 scoring lines.... okay, that ain't realistic, but it's finally nice to see some stars being linked to the canucks, and more importantly all saying they'd want to play here (well outside of Forsberg who hasn't made any comments on Vancouver).... having a club that top players want to go to is going to make all the difference in the world in a capped league!
snap out of it

Old
07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
trbr86

*If by some small chance in the universe we ever landed Forsberg*, I'd keep Morrison as the center on the top line, and play Naslund and Foppa on either wing. I'd move Bertuzzi down to be the winger with the Sedins. If we had a top-six of Naslund, Forsberg, Bertuzzi, Morrison, and the twins, we'd have an amazing flexibility in creating two dynamic lines.

However, this idea seems so unlikely that it's probably not worth thinking about, let alone hoping... I'll be ecstatic just to have Naslund back.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
jeffbrown

Here's how I would sum up all this conjecture.

I think it's probably likely that Naslund and Forsberg may end up signing a potential deal with the Canucks in the not too distant future provided that they likely consider taking a potential pay cut in order to possibly play on the same team. Maybe.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
QuickDynamite

If they both want $7.8 million, the Canucks should not sign them.

If Forsberg came here. I think we should trade Morrison and sign (or trade) a guy who can play both Centre and Wing. I don't think i've ever seen Morrison play wing before.

Old
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
You know, I have a gut feeling that we *might* see Forsberg and Naslund in Colorado.

Adam Foote won't be re-signed, and Milan Hejduk is traded for cheaper 2nd line and/or D talent.

There's just as likely a chance it's with Colorado than it is with the Canucks, let's understand that first and foremost.

Would that really be a smart idea for Colorado though, trading Hejduk to pick up Naslund? Naslund and Forsberg will likely be looking for a 1 year deal, then probably call it quites and head back to Sweden. While I'm sure you guys would love bringing Forsberg back, I would think Hejduk is a guy you'd want to keep long term.

Same problem with Vancouver of course, getting both under the cap. I think we could get Forsberg here with Naslund, but then we'd have to pass on Niedermayer and Kariya almost for sure. What would we be better off doing, signing Naslund, and Forsberg, who while great could always go down at the wrong time, knowing our luck, for 1 season, or letting Naslund go elsewhere with Forsberg and signing Kariya and Niedermayer to 3-4 year deals? It's a tough question.

Old
ArtG

Did you guys see the sweet photochop in the Sun of Nazzy and Forsberg in warmup both wearing vintage jerseys. Makes me want to touch myself in unspeakable ways...

Old
07-27-2005, 02:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

agreed that I don't see either player on their division rival.

But I don't know about the chances being the same for both teams. The fact that the canucks have a lot less manuvering to do to accomodate both players favors the canucks chances more than the Avs.

Even without Hejduk and Foote - the Avs still have two top players signed at over $6mill a piece (Sakic and Blake)... for the canucks their top guy makes $5.4 (Bert) and then the next is Jovo ($3.99). After that, the next highest salaries will likely go to RFAs Ohlund and Morrison ($2.7-3mill ea). The rest of the team is made up of RFAs that shouldn't be hard to sign.

When it comes to coming up with a 23 man roster with a $39mill payroll, considering the pieces each team has signed so far, the canucks have more flexibility in paying for both Forsberg and Naslund than the Avs do.

Then you take another reason - Naslund being captain of this team, and not having captained his team to the Cup yet, while Forsberg having Cups already in Colorado. chances are that Naslund would rather - if he had a choice - win a Cup with the team that he's led so far to where they are, then going somewhere else for a season to win it. Forsberg is more likely to help Naslund win the Cup here, than Naslund going to a new team to help Forsberg win another Cup there.

Sure anything can happen... and if changes are made then it could be an even chance for both teams, but as things are, if the Canucks have a 15% chance at getting both guys, then the Avs have less than that right now.

Having said that, I totally agree... Forsberg to Vancouver is a pipedream, not unlike Naslund to Colorado... if these guys are really looking at contracts, then I'm sure there'll be a team out there that offers them more than either Colorado or Vancouver could... hell maybe a team like Nashville wants to go for it all, and offers these guys both high 1 yr contracts - they are well below the cap and can put that much money towards a run - although it's unrealistic to expect them to do so.

If I was betting, I'd put a hundred down on each of these going back to their previous teams, with a much smaller (dream) bet on them signing in Vancouver - you know those bets that you know won't come through, but you're going to go for it anyways so you can at least think about the dream, until reality squashes it

Old
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Did you guys see the sweet photochop in the Sun of Nazzy and Forsberg in warmup both wearing vintage jerseys. Makes me want to touch myself in unspeakable ways...
GOD-FARKING-DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE THEY LEARNED NOTHING FROM THE PROVINCE PHOTOSHOPPING MARKUS NASLUND HOLDING UP THE CUP?

STUPID BLEEPING NEWSPAPER EDITORS KNOW NOTHING. THE HOCKEY GODS ARE VERY REAL AND IT'S VERY EASY TO ANGER THEM WITH PRESUMPTION.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:30 PM
trbr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
This image? http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/2...ppashop8iv.jpg

Old
07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
ArtG

That's the one.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift

Old
07-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
agreed that I don't see either player on their division rival.
I think this is a really overstated point that is not going to play nearly as much role in their decision as people are making it out to. I seriously haven't heard a peep out of either player regarding 'divisional rivals' or 'how it will effect the fans'. These guys want to play together and they'll play together for ANY team that ponies up enough cash to make it happen. Screw old allegiances.

Old
07-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Crazy Joe Davola

This is how it should play out.

Nonis trades Jovo to Anaheim for the Ducks 2nd pick. Perhaps the 'Nucks 10th pick and an unidientifed Anaheim player or future considerations may be in the mix.

Canucks draft/sign Jack Johnson. The freed up cap room will allow the Canucks to sign both Naslund and Foppa, most likely at ~4-5 million each, that's $8-10 for the package deal.

Considering Jovo was slated to earn $4mil next year, and lets, say, Nazzy was to sign at $7mil, that's $11 mil, so pretty close.

Nonis doesn't sign Henrik, allowing Morrison and an as of yet unamed player to play wing on the 2nd line. This would most likely involve someone brought up from Manitoba, again to free up some cash. Another option would be to move up Cookie.

The first 2 lines would look like this;

Naslund Forsberg Bertuzzi

D Sedin Morrison Unamed player (King) or Cooke

Oh ya, Nonis then signs Niedermayer.

Old
07-27-2005, 03:10 PM
bhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola
This is how it should play out.

Nonis trades Jovo to Anaheim for the Ducks 2nd pick. Perhaps the 'Nucks 10th pick and an unidientifed Anaheim player or future considerations may be in the mix.

Canucks draft/sign Jack Johnson. The freed up cap room will allow the Canucks to sign both Naslund and Foppa, most likely at ~4-5 million each, that's $8-10 for the package deal.

Considering Jovo was slated to earn $4mil next year, and lets, say, Nazzy was to sign at $7mil, that's $11 mil, so pretty close.

Nonis doesn't sign Henrik, allowing Morrison and an as of yet unamed player to play wing on the 2nd line. This would most likely involve someone brought up from Manitoba, again to free up some cash. Another option would be to move up Cookie.

The first 2 lines would look like this;

Naslund Forsberg Bertuzzi

D Sedin Morrison Unamed player (King) or Cooke

Oh ya, Nonis then signs Niedermayer.
One question. If you were serious, why would we trade a bonifide Superstar NHL defensemen in his prime, for a maybe Superstar defensemen years away from his prime?

Old
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Crazy Joe Davola

Quote:
One question. If you were serious, why would we trade a bonifide Superstar NHL defensemen in his prime, for a maybe Superstar defensemen years away from his prime?
Money.

Under the "Cap" based NHL, Nonis would need to free up the cash in order to sign both Nazzy and Foppa. It seems that there may be some genuine interest from Anaheim regarding Jovo. Johnson would sign under the rookie ceiling (at most), and free up some much needed dollars.

Would you rather have 1 Naslund and 1 Jovo, or 1 Naslund, 1 Foppa, and a future all star d-man?

Old
07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola
Money.

Under the "Cap" based NHL, Nonis would need to free up the cash in order to sign both Nazzy and Foppa. It seems that there may be some genuine interest from Anaheim regarding Jovo. Johnson would sign under the rookie ceiling (at most), and free up some much needed dollars.

Would you rather have 1 Naslund and 1 Jovo, or 1 Naslund, 1 Foppa, and a future all star d-man?
there's no genuine interest about jovo. It's all nothing but conjecture.

if forsberg and naslund are really serious about playing together it won't be about the money. If they really DO want to both be here, then they'll sign for low enough that we won't need the salary room afforded by jovanovski.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
CivicSI_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks666
if forsberg and naslund are really serious about playing together it won't be about the money. If they really DO want to both be here, then they'll sign for low enough that we won't need the salary room afforded by jovanovski.
Exactly. They would rather play with a contending team like Vancouver at less money, then play for a team like Carolina just because they can pay them the most. Everyone forgets that Forsberg has won 2 cups, Naslund hasn't won. I'm sure if they are serious about playing together, it also includes the fact that Forsberg wants to get Naslund a cup.

Closed Thread