HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens recall Hoffman and send down Borowiecki and Grant

Old
12-02-2013, 11:38 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Yeah, I really like Grant. He knows his role and doesn't try to be anything more.

As for the defense, I hope we see Claesson (2011) and Wideman (2009) up here by the end of the season.
He had some offensive flair for a 4th liner too. I'm optimistic he finds his way back and becomes a regular in our bottom 6 soon.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv91 View Post
I like these lines too. I would even interchange any of the six in the top two lines and probably still like the look of them. I still find it hard to see how this will address our main problem - D.
Your correct but you have to change something I don't think this is the end of it.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxBud View Post
Hope Hoffman makes the best of this opportunity and shows the big club what he can do. He's been great down in Bingo.

Disappointing to see Boro sent down. Understandable though.
You would have to think he is running out of time, I hope he makes the best of it

Old
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I think that defensive mistake by Boro (on the third goal where he left his position to go chase a player high in the zone) last night sealed his fate. It's too bad though, as I thought Boro brought something different to the table, a physicality that would have made Kassian redundant and releasable.
He went full Phillips on that play. He pointed towards the Detroit payer asking Smith to cover him then decided to chase him only to create a two on one for a tap in goal.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost in the Shell View Post
Sylvain St-Laurent
Les trios ce matin: MacArthur-Spezza-Zibanejad, Hoffman-Turris-Ryan, Michalek-Smith-Neil, Conacher-Greening-Condra. #Sens #ledroit
Love these combos. Would prefer to see Pageau in the middle of Greening and Condra but otherwise I think these are worth a shot.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Sylvain St-Laurent
Les trios ce matin: MacArthur-Spezza-Zibanejad, Hoffman-Turris-Ryan, Michalek-Smith-Neil, Conacher-Greening-Condra. #Sens #ledroit
greening in the middle will be interesting to see. can't be any worse and who knows? might look even better. i like the idea anyway of the big strong guy in that spot.
i like the rest of the lines too. michalek with smith-neil is excellent.
Hopefully these lines stick for 3 games at least. don't mess with them please. thanks macstache

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Michalek might as well start packing, even if he isn't traded he's gone in the offseason.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:58 AM
HavlatMach9

boro & grant have been great for us, and the AHL will allow them to get plenty of ice time and get them to continue to develop

someone from TSN1200 said that Cowen is waiver exempt so I'd like him in the AHL when it's clear that that should be necessary

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
boro & grant have been great for us, and the AHL will allow them to get plenty of ice time and get them to continue to develop

someone from TSN1200 said that Cowen is waiver exempt so I'd like him in the AHL when it's clear that that should be necessary
Should be down instead of Boro. Cowen is terrible, probably the worst positioning I've ever seen for a defence man at any level of hockey.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Senators65

vCash: 5640
I still don't really see how this move will help fix our defensive issues.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
Has nothing to do with his 3 seasons and no longer being under his ELC. It's total games played in a certain amount of season. If he plays, I think, 14 more games this year he will no longer be exempt.

Edit: did the calculation on capgeek. http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calcul...133&Calculate=
Me too but i messed up, and misread the 2nd entry box for Cowen, thinking he played a full season in his second season, but he was back in Spokane.

Apologies.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

I've been watching Hoffman in Bingo a lot lately. The kid is amazing. He's fast, got great hockey sense, he's got sweet hands, he's a leader, and he'll even drop the gloves when he needs to. I'm really excited to see him play up in Ottawa- might even go to a game just to see him play. Hopefully he gets a shot with Spezz or Turris instead of 4th line minutes the entire game.

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I ****ing love those lines. MacArthur with Spezza and Zibanejad could immediately transform Spezza from a horrific corsi player to a dominant puck possession line.

Turris-Ryan is one of the best combos in the league, Hoffman will get a chance to play with the best possible way to succeed. This is his chance.

GOOD BYE MICHALEK, LOOOOOOOL YESSS GTFFFOOO HAHAHAHHAAH. Milo with Smith should be good for 3rd line scoring. I feel sorry for Smith having to work with 2 horrible puck possession players who do nothing but cycle on his line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBruins4Ever View Post
Since when does greening play center?
IIRC, he played center in College and he was damn good at it. Lol, I really don't care at this point what position he plays as long as it's 4th line. Condra and Conacher may make him actually beneficial in whatever way possible.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
If BM puts Cowen in the AHL, Melynk will be ticked off at him.

That would be 2.1M to put two players in the AHL. Cowen and JOB.

To give you an idea, if JOB wasn't there, the entire teams budget would be 1.4M

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
Exactly. This is a stupid move.

Hoffman is finding his game, wearing the 'C', and dominating the AHL. So, let's call him up and possibly ruin him? Once he's up, he can't go back down so if he struggles he has to go the press box or else someone may claim him on waivers.

Our D sucks, so let's rush a scoring forward. Oh, and while we are at it, we'll send down our 4th best Dman right now (how sad is that).

Awesome.

That is almost as good as putting out Corvo and Weircioch with the goalie pulled to get the tying goal last night.

Charliebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

charliebox, there is likely a broader plan behind this

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to JOB.

Also MacArthur and Spezza look good out there together, and Zibanejad has been playing well.

I like these lines...but it still leaves a glaring hole where we need help most -- the blue line.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Maybe BM is just trying to showcase Hoffman for a trade seeing as he's not waiver exempt

Old
12-02-2013, 12:39 PM
sens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebox View Post
Exactly. This is a stupid move.

Hoffman is finding his game, wearing the 'C', and dominating the AHL. So, let's call him up and possibly ruin him? Once he's up, he can't go back down so if he struggles he has to go the press box or else someone may claim him on waivers.

Our D sucks, so let's rush a scoring forward. Oh, and while we are at it, we'll send down our 4th best Dman right now (how sad is that).

Awesome.

That is almost as good as putting out Corvo and Weircioch with the goalie pulled to get the tying goal last night.
Hoffman is not signed after this year. We call him up to see if he is worth keeping around or offering a 1 way next year. Calling up a player whos playing his best hockey and putting hin in a top 6 role, I don't mind that at all.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
charliebox, there is likely a broader plan behind this
Exactly this is only the beginning and starting Hoffman against Florida drastically increases his chances for early success. He is getting older his time is now.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
Hoffman is not signed after this year. We call him up to see if he is worth keeping around or offering a 1 way next year. Calling up a player whos playing his best hockey and putting hin in a top 6 role, I don't mind that at all.
I don't mind calling him up. I just don't like the timing. If we want to call him up, do it in February. Then if he struggles, there isn't much time left in the season.

Two months is more than enough time to see where he fits and if he can be an everyday NHLer.

Calling him up now makes no sense. There is a better chance that they are going to ruin him than there is that he is going to be a difference maker. It's high risk, low reward.

If we were struggling to score goals, then ok. Right now, we are averaging just shy of 3 goals per game, which is actually pretty good.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I love Hoffman being recalled but hate Boro sent down.

1 step forward 2 steps back.

Although I think if Hoffman experiment doesn't work a trade will come about. Even if it does while defense continues to suck.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
Exactly this is only the beginning and starting Hoffman against Florida drastically increases his chances for early success. He is getting older his time is now.
I dunno. I just like the Detroit model. Make sure the prospects are over ripe.

Last year he had 28 pts in 41 games. Not bad, but not NHL top 6 forward quality.

So far, he's only played 21 games. Sure, he's looked great, but it's only a small sample. Why take him out of a PERFECT situation (winning team, great coach, playing well, wearing the 'C'), to put him on a struggling team?

Hoffman is not going to be the difference between the Sens making or missing the playoffs.

Right now, our D and goaltending are the biggest factors.

To me this seems like a move to appease a fan base who wants change. The problem is, the change we want is on D.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
First of all make all forwards HUSTLE BACK and make fast line changes and all player be positionally responsible.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
sens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebox View Post
I don't mind calling him up. I just don't like the timing. If we want to call him up, do it in February. Then if he struggles, there isn't much time left in the season.

Two months is more than enough time to see where he fits and if he can be an everyday NHLer.

Calling him up now makes no sense. There is a better chance that they are going to ruin him than there is that he is going to be a difference maker. It's high risk, low reward.

If we were struggling to score goals, then ok. Right now, we are averaging just shy of 3 goals per game, which is actually pretty good.
While we are scoring its pretty top heavy point production. This move allows us to spread that out a bit.

We also already sent hoffman through waivers which leads me to believe he's not viewed as a long term player , so murray is not worried about stunting his growth as a player. Giving him ample time and talented line mates to showcase himself is alright by me.

Also we clearly need a change and were told they ideally will come from within. I personally can't think of another player in the system who currently has potential to be difference maker .

Yes I'd prefer to see a move for a dman and we know murray tried atleast with del zotto , but if no deals are out there to be made I think this is better then totally standing pat and Hopefully hoffman comes in kicks ass and convinces management that he's made one of our wingers expendable for a trade for a dman.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote