HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2014, 05:02 PM
ConoR187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It should come with 3 thicknesses. If the thickest one isn't working for you, then I'd be reconsidering the way my next pair of skates should fit.
only came with 1 for some reason.. ordered some more so ill try that

might make a trip up to chicago to try on some other models soon, would a supreme ee be close to a nexus d?

Old
05-30-2014, 05:38 PM
AIREAYE

Supreme EE should be slightly wider, but remember that their shapes are different.

Old
05-30-2014, 06:21 PM
wingfan

I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of skates. I've been rocking my Bauer Supreme 8090's for almost a decade. Looking for something similar in feel and fit, maybe a little lighter. Any suggestions? Looking to pay $300-$500. Thanks!

Old
05-30-2014, 07:23 PM
AIREAYE

Best approach is to start from scratch. Try the best skates you can in your price range.

Old
05-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Is the trigger release/quick change mechanism on the Vapors a gimmick and just another thing that can go wrong or is it something other manufacturers are likely to (or do) emulate?

Is there much point in owning a spare set of blades playing at a social or recreational level?; ie can you just drop off the blades only for a sharpening? That would seem to me to be the primary advantage in having a spare set of blades, so you're never without skates for a day or two when you drop 'em off for a sharpening. Not sure I'd worry too much about a breakage.

..and is it worth taking the blades out to wipe them down after use or best not to play around with them? If it were a gun you'd probably clean the parts and apply a little oil occasionally.

Old
05-31-2014, 11:21 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Is the trigger release/quick change mechanism on the Vapors a gimmick and just another thing that can go wrong or is it something other manufacturers are likely to (or do) emulate?

Is there much point in owning a spare set of blades playing at a social or recreational level?; ie can you just drop off the blades only for a sharpening? That would seem to me to be the primary advantage in having a spare set of blades, so you're never without skates for a day or two when you drop 'em off for a sharpening. Not sure I'd worry too much about a breakage.

..and is it worth taking the blades out to wipe them down after use or best not to play around with them? If it were a gun you'd probably clean the parts and apply a little oil occasionally.
Gimmick? No way, they're the real deal. Very useful for higher level players or those who do a lot of tournaments or travel hockey.

Emulate? Don't know, depends on how many people choose that holder over others specifically. There would need to be more research done, but I feel that the answer for the next few years would be no. Bauer wasn't actually the first company to come up with this type of holder, that belongs to Quikblade: http://www.quikblade.com/

Point? For most players, probably not, unless you see value in playing around with different hollows and profiles on-the-go as well as sharpening versatility like you said. Yes they can be sharpened independent of holder.

The best value in these new holders for most players will be the added height, making turning much better.

Maintenance: Don't really have to do anything to it. You could pop it out every once in a while to inspect it and clean it. Normal skate blade wipe down and drying is fine.

Old
06-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Surge101

I'm looking to get a pair to start, under $200...
On US shoe sizing i'm a 12-12.5... Not sure if I should be getting 10.5 or 11 size skates... there isn't really anywhere to try on skates here, i'd have to get it online.

Also, I have to wear insoles in my sneakers for flat feet or I get shin splints, would the same apply for skates?

Old
06-02-2014, 09:10 AM
AIREAYE

Next time, just post in one thread, which in your case, is this one.

I always suggest to people in your situation to make a trip and go to your nearest large store. Hockey is a sport where you skate, where every action and reaction rests on two edges on each feet. Do you really want to guess about that? Because at this point, you might as well start guessing. Read the skate thread.

Don't worry about insoles yet, you haven't even figured out what skate size you'll need.

If you really have to order online, then follow their sizing scales.

Old
06-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Surge101

Quote:
Next time, just post in one thread, which in your case, is this one.

I always suggest to people in your situation to make a trip and go to your nearest large store. Hockey is a sport where you skate, where every action and reaction rests on two edges on each feet. Do you really want to guess about that? Because at this point, you might as well start guessing. Read the skate thread.

Don't worry about insoles yet, you haven't even figured out what skate size you'll need.

If you really have to order online, then follow their sizing scales.
The issue is there really isnt any hockey stores here. There's a proshop at the rink which everyone advises me is horrible.

Old
06-03-2014, 07:32 AM
AIREAYE

I get that, hence the trip recommendation...

Old
06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Surge101

Well anyone have any suggestion on what I should look at in the $150 range?
Anyone have any experience buying skates and have flat feet that can give some suggestions would help too.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:09 PM
StLHokie

I've got a question for some of you guys that is more just based on observation and personal preference. I've grown up and always had my blades sharpened on a 3/8 wheel. I've been skating on 3/8 since I was probably close to two years old, as it was what my dad preferred and as a result that's what he always had me wear. If I were to switch to 5/8 for the blade, what sort of differences would I notice from the 3/8?

Old
06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Chau

Ever slide around on newly polished hardwood floors in just your socks?

It'll feel something like that.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

Pretty accurate analogy.

Why would you plummet from 3/8 to 5/8 and skip the 1/2" in the middle?

Old
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
StLHokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
Ever slide around on newly polished hardwood floors in just your socks?

It'll feel something like that.
Really? That noticeable?

Quote:
Pretty accurate analogy.

Why would you plummet from 3/8 to 5/8 and skip the 1/2" in the middle?
I'm not necessarily going to make the switch, I was just curious as to what the differences are and what advantages or disadvantages might come with it.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:23 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge101 View Post
Well anyone have any suggestion on what I should look at in the $150 range?
Anyone have any experience buying skates and have flat feet that can give some suggestions would help too.
i just got the 12K's for about $105. they are on clearance and i seached online for a code and found one for 25% off. im a big fan of rbk skates but not sure if they are good for flat feet. for the price i paid, i really dont think you can beat it. but again im a rbk skate guy. got them through HM

Old
06-06-2014, 11:35 AM
wehojp84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of skates. I've been rocking my Bauer Supreme 8090's for almost a decade. Looking for something similar in feel and fit, maybe a little lighter. Any suggestions? Looking to pay $300-$500. Thanks!
The Nexus skate line from Bauer is probably close to what you're coming from. The first line of Nexus skates (1000, 800, 600, etc.) are all on clearance now b/c the new line is out (8000,7000,6000, etc.). With this in mind, you can get a pair of Nexus 800's for around $300 which is a pretty good deal on an almost top of the line skate.

I've had my nexus 800's for a few months now and love 'em. You just need to make sure your foot type will work with them (Nexus are made for wide feet, high volume feet). They are a wide boot throughout (a EE in Supreme is about the same as a D width in Nexus) and have about the same if not a little more volume than the Supreme line.

For example I have a 6.5EE in supreme One.7's and they fit very close to the 7.0D width Nesux 800's that I have (the EE last for Bauers is a 1/2 size longer than the D last, that's why I have 6.5 in one and 7.0 in the other)

Old
06-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Surge101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
i just got the 12K's for about $105. they are on clearance and i seached online for a code and found one for 25% off. im a big fan of rbk skates but not sure if they are good for flat feet. for the price i paid, i really dont think you can beat it. but again im a rbk skate guy. got them through HM
Is the the deal on HM? I was looking at that, and considering picking up either the White K's or the 14 k's for either $200 or $150, plus I believe an additional 25% off on either, which is a deal I highly doubt i'd find at my local rink proshop.

but i'm totally lost and if thats the right choice, all the videos I see say not to get a stiffer skate if you are a beginner, but they also say to get a stiffer skate if you are a heavier build. I'm 220lbs.

So i'm pretty lost on if these skates are the right stiffness for my experience/build.

Old
06-06-2014, 12:44 PM
CaptBrannigan

The guys at our shop who did an employee purchase on the new Nexus got them today. Much better fit than last model, I think more people will like this one. A lot closer (if not a copy) of the FlexLite fit.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Is the the deal on HM? I was looking at that, and considering picking up either the White K's or the 14 k's for either $200 or $150, plus I believe an additional 25% off on either, which is a deal I highly doubt i'd find at my local rink proshop.

but i'm totally lost and if thats the right choice, all the videos I see say not to get a stiffer skate if you are a beginner, but they also say to get a stiffer skate if you are a heavier build. I'm 220lbs.

So i'm pretty lost on if these skates are the right stiffness for my experience/build.
Go for the higher end of the 3, which is the White K. You'll fold the 12K at that weight, even if you're a beginner.

Old
06-06-2014, 06:48 PM
IDuck

Quote:

yeah...you can always bake them. any are a very good deal, but again i dont know about the whole flat feet thing. all come with a spare set of rocket runners too. which i dont really know a lot about, but i guess its not a bad thing to have a extra set of steel.

Old
06-06-2014, 06:50 PM
AIREAYE

They were so bad that they're now giving them away!

Old
06-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Surge101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
yeah...you can always bake them. any are a very good deal, but again i dont know about the whole flat feet thing. all come with a spare set of rocket runners too. which i dont really know a lot about, but i guess its not a bad thing to have a extra set of steel.
I figured if the arch support isn't good on them for me I could always buy a superfeet foot bed or something.

How was the fitment on the reeboks for you? Does the standard down 1.5 sizes from shoe size apply for you? I'm a 12 in shoe size.

Old
06-06-2014, 09:57 PM
IDuck

Quote:
I figured if the arch support isn't good on them for me I could always buy a superfeet foot bed or something.

How was the fitment on the reeboks for you? Does the standard down 1.5 sizes from shoe size apply for you? I'm a 12 in shoe size.
im a 10.5 shoe and wear a 9 skate, so its spot on for me.

Old
06-06-2014, 11:14 PM
sroper

Mission Skates?

Just looking for some advice. I need a new pair of ice skates and have been on three pairs of Missions prior. They fit my feet very well as I have a wide toe box and midfoot. All of them were 8EE. I missed out on a chance the get a last pair before they stopped making them. My question is which skate out there will fit like they do. When the season is on I skate 3-4 times/week (5-6 hours), am an advanced intermediate player, and weigh 185 lbs. I live in a small town so the internet is the way to go for me.

Thanks for any advise

Closed Thread