HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2014, 12:46 AM
  #326
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 397
Aireaye, my son currently skates in Supreme 160 yth skates which he tells me he likes a lot. He is using a size 13 youth so this will probably be the last season before he goes up to junior sizes. He skates really well in these.

Anyway his feet are pretty wide, but even more than that the top part of his foot going from his ankle going to his toes (not sure what this area is called) is very big. Sometimes I feel like that part of his foot is too big (or pushes out too much) for the Supremes. I was considering trying him in some Reeboks next time were at the pro shop but I have been reading up on the RibCor pump youth and it seems like Reebok is changing up their skates to a slimmer style.

Could you recommend another skate for us that might be a better fit for him?

Edit*
I just looked at the first post in this thread. Seems like the RBZ's might have a better fit for him. They are listed as "wide across top of foot and forefoot" whereas most ever other model is listed only as medium. Do you think the RBZ50 yth would be comparable to the the 160's? 160s are fully heat moldable and only cost $70. RBZ50 are a little more at $80 but aren't listed as being heat moldable at all.


Last edited by Oak: 07-13-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: New info
Oak is offline  
Old
07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
  #327
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
So he's in 13 now? Has he outgrown them yet or will very soon you think?

Is he wearing 2014 Supreme 160s that just came out? Or 2010 One60s?

RBZ should be the way to go, see if you can try on some Nexus youth skates as well (there aren't many models).

Don't look too much into the heat moulding thing, at this level of skate, the differences are negligible. Just get the one he's most comfortable in out-of-box and bake them if you want.

It seems like the RBZ50 YTH would be closer to a 140, the RBZ70 YTH should be comparable.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-13-2014, 08:27 PM
  #328
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 397
Aireaye, thanks for the info. He's in 13's now. They are the new 160's, not One60s. I bough them in the spring because he destroyed his previous skates. I'm hoping he could last the whole season in them.

I was at a random skate shop today buying him something for his rollerblades and I saw the RBZ youth 50's and 70's in person. Definitely seems like 70's would be the more comparable skate, shame that they are $20 more than the 160s though. Guess it's the price you pay for having Barney Rubble feet.

Oak is offline  
Old
07-13-2014, 10:04 PM
  #329
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Be mindful that only the RBZ80 YTH and above are offered in 13.5, which is the last YTH size before size 1 JR, which I believe he should be transitioning into next season upon reading the end of his current 13s.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-14-2014, 12:07 AM
  #330
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 397
I'm hoping that since the RBZ line supposedly runs smaller than the Bauers we can go from the 160 size 13 to RBZ70 size 13. Maybe get an extra season, or half season in a youth sized skate this way and save a couple bucks.

Mainly I hope that the RBZ will be a good fit for him. When I tie his 160's the middle of the tongue is higher than the loop hole section which seems like the top doesn't have enough volume for him. He doesn't complain at all but the poor kid skated in Vapors size 10-11-12 and didn't complain either. Some idiot at a shop near me told me Vapors were wider than Supremes. Shame on me for believing him.

Thanks again for your help Aireaye and all the work you've put into this guide.

Oak is offline  
Old
07-14-2014, 08:39 AM
  #331
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I'm hoping that since the RBZ line supposedly runs smaller than the Bauers we can go from the 160 size 13 to RBZ70 size 13. Maybe get an extra season, or half season in a youth sized skate this way and save a couple bucks.

Mainly I hope that the RBZ will be a good fit for him. When I tie his 160's the middle of the tongue is higher than the loop hole section which seems like the top doesn't have enough volume for him. He doesn't complain at all but the poor kid skated in Vapors size 10-11-12 and didn't complain either. Some idiot at a shop near me told me Vapors were wider than Supremes. Shame on me for believing him.

Thanks again for your help Aireaye and all the work you've put into this guide.
Funny thing is that as soon as I hit JR sizes, that sizing difference seems to apply less and less, it's weird. Be prepared in any case.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-14-2014, 01:44 PM
  #332
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Funny thing is that as soon as I hit JR sizes, that sizing difference seems to apply less and less, it's weird. Be prepared in any case.
Ok I'll keep it in mind.

Another question I have for you that just came to mind. I noticed that they make the Supreme 160s in a youth EE width. Do you think an EE would give some more volume on the top of his foot? I asked about EE at the proshop when we were there last time but they told me they have no way to measure a youth foot for proper width. They also didn't stock any youth EEs.

I guess I can order an EE from ice warehouse and return it if it's no good, but how would we know if it is the correct size for him or not? He doesn't really complain about his skates much, and I'd rather a slightly snugger boot that was baked and stretched a bit than one that is too big.

For the record all his sneakers he wears are wide except for his basketball sneakers (Jordans).

Oak is offline  
Old
07-14-2014, 03:03 PM
  #333
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
EE could work only if the D is 'scrunching up his foot so that the depth appears too shallow. If the EE allows his foot to 'splay out' more naturally, then it might work. Hard for me to say for certain without seeing his foot.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-14-2014, 10:38 PM
  #334
blackout44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
So I wanted to follow up on my thoughts on moving from a Supreme One.6 to a stiffer boot, and one that isn't a size too big. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

I ended up getting CCM RBZ 80s the other day. The volume of the boot is fantastic for my foot, along with the fact that it's the perfect size as well. I didn't realize how much of an issue volume can be if there isn't enough.

I could actually maintain an outside edge today on my first skate with them (I could never do that with my prior skates). I could also do one foot glides on my right foot, something that I was having issues with in my prior skates.

Getting used to the slightly different blade profile did cause me to end up on my butt once, but after the sessions I felt almost completely comfortable on them.

blackout44 is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  #335
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
How deep nexus 8000 skates really are? Is it the same depth as in nexus 1000?

Quartz is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
  #336
ThisisBen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
When is a good time to upgrade on skates? At what point in my skating development will buying higher end skates not hinder but instead help my progress?

I currently skate in Nexus 400's and I've been skating(about 2-3 times a week on average) since mid-December. My balance and comfort level on the ice is very good(I think) and I can do everything on the ice that I need to in order to play and not be a liability in hockey(my backwards crossovers are still a little weak though).

ThisisBen is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 10:44 PM
  #337
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisBen View Post
When is a good time to upgrade on skates? At what point in my skating development will buying higher end skates not hinder but instead help my progress?

I currently skate in Nexus 400's and I've been skating(about 2-3 times a week on average) since mid-December. My balance and comfort level on the ice is very good(I think) and I can do everything on the ice that I need to in order to play and not be a liability in hockey(my backwards crossovers are still a little weak though).
If you can do most of the moves in a game without actually thinking about it, then that would be a good time. Going by what you're trying to describe, now seems like a good one, especially with you playing so often and Back-To-Hockey sales starting soon.

If you still fit into Nexus, the new line is looking really good so far!

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
  #338
ThisisBen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you can do most of the moves in a game without actually thinking about it, then that would be a good time. Going by what you're trying to describe, now seems like a good one, especially with you playing so often and Back-To-Hockey sales starting soon.

If you still fit into Nexus, the new line is looking really good so far!
Cool, thanks!

I was also wondering, would it be worth it to splurge and go with the flagship Nexus or to go one step down from that?

Obviously, I'm not going to be playing any sort of major/minor pro hockey but I do want to take a significant step up in skate quality from what I have now. How much of a difference is there in the 8000 vs the 7000 and would there be a significant difference skating in one or the other?

ThisisBen is offline  
Old
07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
  #339
samsquanch9*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
I absolutely hated the mx3 so im selling them and i just got ribcores today.. Felt amazing im excited to use them

samsquanch9* is offline  
Old
07-22-2014, 10:28 AM
  #340
HockeyDad29
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Bauer Supreme NXG size 6.0EE

Son is age 12, and is AAA player playing at a high level of competition. He has not hit puberty, but is growing fast this summer. He is right at that level where he is at the end of the Junior line, but maybe not quite ready for the Senior.

He was in a Supreme One.9, Jr., size 4EE last year (ending in May). Supreme line fits his foot well. Skates and other equipment are now too small (in a matter of 2 months, grew alot). I got a great deal online for a Bauer Supreme NXG and bought a 6.0EE. My guess is the skate is 1 to 1.5 sizes big for the length of his foot. He had one skate, struggled at first, got better as it went on and I can have him try one more skate to see how that goes. He was put through a serious work out on edges, balance, stride, etc. He had no blisters, and reports the skate is comfortable, but we know it is long. I can tie skates a little tighter, and he should be able to continue to avoid slippage.

Do you see any concerns with the 1 to 1.5 size too big? I could buy a Junior Supreme One.9 in a size 5EE or 5.5EE if necessary, but it is not the same quality skate. What advice would you give me?

HockeyDad29 is offline  
Old
07-22-2014, 12:15 PM
  #341
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
A proper fitting skate will do much more for him than a top quality skate. There is minimal difference between a TO and a One.9, if you can find one of those that fit properly, he'll benefit much more than the minor extra quality of the TO in the wrong size.

jsykes is offline  
Old
07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
  #342
HockeyDad29
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
The hockey foot thing shows him at a 5.5 Junior. There is about a 0.5 jump in going to a Senior skate, so wearing a 6.0 Senior is about a 1 size jump, but the 5.5 leaves no room to grow. In a perfect world, he would be at about a 6.0 Junior or a 5.5 Senior, which they do not have. Looks like I am caught in the middle.

HockeyDad29 is offline  
Old
07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
  #343
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDad29 View Post
The hockey foot thing shows him at a 5.5 Junior. There is about a 0.5 jump in going to a Senior skate, so wearing a 6.0 Senior is about a 1 size jump, but the 5.5 leaves no room to grow. In a perfect world, he would be at about a 6.0 Junior or a 5.5 Senior, which they do not have. Looks like I am caught in the middle.
So is his hockey skate size 5.5 JR on the line? Or is he to be put into a 5.5 JR once fitted properly for growth? Jumping 2 sizes is very rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisBen View Post
Cool, thanks!

I was also wondering, would it be worth it to splurge and go with the flagship Nexus or to go one step down from that?

Obviously, I'm not going to be playing any sort of major/minor pro hockey but I do want to take a significant step up in skate quality from what I have now. How much of a difference is there in the 8000 vs the 7000 and would there be a significant difference skating in one or the other?
No it isn`t really. Give yourself some more time to be comfortable with your skills. I probably wouldnt recommend a skate higher than the 6000.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
07-24-2014, 12:59 PM
  #344
HockeyDad29
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
He is right at the line for a 5.5 Jr.

HockeyDad29 is offline  
Old
07-27-2014, 10:43 AM
  #345
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 42,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't know if anyone can help me but... here is a question

Current play/usage: I'm a former junior/college player (29 yrs old) who still plays at a high level adult/tourney leagues. I bought the CCM 1062s back in 2004 and the skate has just held up beyond what it should but it's time to move on to a brand new skate.

I do still block a lot of shots on defense and my current skates are brick walls. They have protected my foot so well through the years.

Foot: I have a wide/flat foot. I typically buy EE width skates.

Looking for: I want a top end skate but one that's on sale. Something that fits my foot and is available. I'd prefer only spending 300-400 instead of 800 since I don't play high level juniors or college anymore. But at the same time - I still do play 2-3 times a week and block some big time shots. So I can't sacrifice too much.

Any recommendations?

ColePens is offline  
Old
07-27-2014, 01:45 PM
  #346
boo10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't know if anyone can help me but... here is a question

Current play/usage: I'm a former junior/college player (29 yrs old) who still plays at a high level adult/tourney leagues. I bought the CCM 1062s back in 2004 and the skate has just held up beyond what it should but it's time to move on to a brand new skate.

I do still block a lot of shots on defense and my current skates are brick walls. They have protected my foot so well through the years.

Foot: I have a wide/flat foot. I typically buy EE width skates.

Looking for: I want a top end skate but one that's on sale. Something that fits my foot and is available. I'd prefer only spending 300-400 instead of 800 since I don't play high level juniors or college anymore. But at the same time - I still do play 2-3 times a week and block some big time shots. So I can't sacrifice too much.

Any recommendations?
If they fit your foot, your best bet would probably be some u+ CL or Supreme One.9 on clearance. The CL can be found for under $250 and the One.9 for under $400.

boo10 is offline  
Old
07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
  #347
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 42,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
If they fit your foot, your best bet would probably be some u+ CL or Supreme One.9 on clearance. The CL can be found for under $250 and the One.9 for under $400.
Thank you - i cannot find the prices, though. I use Total Hockey, Hockey Monkey, etc. CLs are about 350 and One.9 are about 500. Do you know where they are located at differently?

Thank you again

ColePens is offline  
Old
07-27-2014, 06:24 PM
  #348
boo10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Thank you - i cannot find the prices, though. I use Total Hockey, Hockey Monkey, etc. CLs are about 350 and One.9 are about 500. Do you know where they are located at differently?

Thank you again
Prices I quoted are what I have seen in store at a couple of Canadian retailers. Sportchek has the one.9 for $450 in store, but it is relatively easy to get a 20% off coupon making them $360. The CL is $259 (but sizes are pretty limited). I assume that US retailers might have similar in store pricing. I think online prices may be higher due to MAP policies.
You may want to look at the 5052 Tacks as well. I tried some on today and was pleasantly surprised. They're only around $430.

boo10 is offline  
Old
07-28-2014, 03:24 PM
  #349
JZCislesHockey
Registered User
 
JZCislesHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't know if anyone can help me but... here is a question

Current play/usage: I'm a former junior/college player (29 yrs old) who still plays at a high level adult/tourney leagues. I bought the CCM 1062s back in 2004 and the skate has just held up beyond what it should but it's time to move on to a brand new skate.

I do still block a lot of shots on defense and my current skates are brick walls. They have protected my foot so well through the years.

Foot: I have a wide/flat foot. I typically buy EE width skates.

Looking for: I want a top end skate but one that's on sale. Something that fits my foot and is available. I'd prefer only spending 300-400 instead of 800 since I don't play high level juniors or college anymore. But at the same time - I still do play 2-3 times a week and block some big time shots. So I can't sacrifice too much.

Any recommendations?
I love the CCM CrazyLight line. I love my U+12's. They're all on clearance, so the CL's should be like $350

JZCislesHockey is offline  
Old
07-28-2014, 05:22 PM
  #350
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 42,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Thanks guys

Since they did not have EE width I went w/ Nexus 1000s by Bauer. They kept saying that was the skate that was made for wide feet AND they had it in a EE width.

I appreciate all of your help. I will be back with a review in about a month or two.

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.