HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF we sign a #1 defenceman and a #1 foward ...

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Maithz

vCash:
IF we sign a #1 defenceman and a #1 foward ...

Which place do you give us in the east ??

I think if we sign Kovalev and Aucoin we can be able to finish first or second in our divison , so maybe a 4th place in the east .

Aucoin is offensive and great defensively , a good package and Kovalev is a pure goal scorer so ... we will have 2 very good lines .

Perezhogin - Koivu - Kovalev Markov - Aucoin

Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder Souray - Komisarek

Old
07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
Which place do you give us in the east ??

I think if we sign Kovalev and Aucoin we can be able to finish first or second in our divison , so maybe a 4th place in the east .

Aucoin is offensive and great defensively , a good package and Kovalev is a pure goal scorer so ... we will have 2 very good lines .

Perezhogin - Koivu - Kovalev Markov - Aucoin

Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder Souray - Komisarek
I do agree that if we sign a top forward and top d-man, we'll be able to compete with any team in the league on a regular basis.

However, why take Zednik away from Koivu and Kovalev on your lines?! The three worked very well together last year, and Zednik has shown that he struggles at times without Saku.

Old
07-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I do agree that if we sign a top forward and top d-man, we'll be able to compete with any team in the league on a regular basis.

However, why take Zednik away from Koivu and Kovalev on your lines?! The three worked very well together last year, and Zednik has shown that he struggles at times without Saku.

I know he work well with Koivu and Kovalev but I think we can't place Perezhogin with 2 young players like Ribeiro and Ryder , he needs the experience of a good veteran like Kovalev

Old
07-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If we sign a #1 defenseman and a #1 forward...

We are doomed, because it means we won't have enough money left to sign our #1 goalie (Theodore), our #1 centres (Koivu/Ribeiro), or our #1 winger (Ryder). Etc.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
If we sign a #1 defenseman and a #1 forward...

We are doomed, because it means we won't have enough money left to sign our #1 goalie (Theodore), our #1 centres (Koivu/Ribeiro), or our #1 winger (Ryder). Etc.
Why do some people think that we're going to have such a hard time fitting under the cap? Here are my projections on what we'll be paying out:

After the option escape for Brisebois we now have:

Craig Rivet - $2.66 million
Radek Bonk - $2.394 million
Sheldon Souray - $2.128 million
Richard Zednik - $1.8 million
Niklas Sundstrom - $988,000
Steve Begin - $608,000
Cristobal Huet $- $456,000

7 Players - $11,058,000.00

My projections:

Theodore - $4, 600,000(I personally think this is too much but we have to qualify him at $4.56 mil)
Koivu - $3,750,000
Ribeiro - $1,000,000(he signed last year for $1.2,and 24% rollback is $912k no way is he going to get $2 mil for a missed season)
Ryder - $1,000,000(he's tough to figure out I haven't heard what he's asking for)
Markov - $1,750,000
Komisarek - $1,000,000
Hainsey - $650,000(make or break year)
Hossa - $650,000(same as Hainsey)
Bulis - $1,300,000
Ward - $750,000

Bringing the total to around:

17 players - $27,508,000.00.

If we have a budget of $35-36 million, so that we have some room to manouver if necessary, that leaves us $7.5-8.5 million to sign 2-3 free agents and leaves space for 3-4 rookies on the team as long as the rosters are still 23 as they used to be.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Traitor8

we can fit both Niedermayer and Kovalev under the cap and still have about 4 M $ of wiggle room come trade deadline time.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
we can fit both Niedermayer and Kovalev under the cap and still have about 4 M $ of wiggle room come trade deadline time.

I dunno about that, those two together could cost a team around $10m. I think if we spent $10m on FA's we'd have about $1m left for coushin, but that's just me

Old
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
blinky_mafiosi

Good assessment of numbers Hab at it. Ribeiro and Ryder are likely to ask for more than $1M, but we'll see.

As you mentioned, the "budget" is likely going to be around $35M. So add on 4 rookie/roster filler salaries, we're at $30M. Meaning, Gainey would be left with $5M wiggle room. So you can forget about 2 huge names coming here (i.e. Niedermayer type guys).

If I have to choose one, I say Kovalev is a must.

Let's hope George Gillett will be tempted to go to the full max this year at $39M

Old
07-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Traitor8

Hainsey,Perezhogin and Higgins are already signed I think so here's the look at the habs:

Craig Rivet ($2.7 million)
Radek Bonk ($2.4 million)
Sheldon Souray ($2.1 million)
Richard Zednik ($1.8 million)
Niklas Sundstrom ($988,000)
Chris Higgins ($912,000)
Alexander Perezhogin ($711,000)
Steve Begin ($608,000)
Ron Hainsey ($570,000)
Cristobal Huet ($456,000)
------------------------------
10 players -----> 13.245 M $

RFA:

Theodore-> 5 M $ (since I feel we are going to sign him to a 3yr deal)
Koivu---> 3 M $
Ryder---> 1 M $
Ribeiro----> 1 M $
Komisarek---> 0.9 M $
Bulis -----> 1.1 M $
Markov-----> 1.7 M $
Hossa -----> 0.8 M $
Ward ------> 0.6 M $ (market is flooded, he isn't special)
Dagenais----> 0.7 M $ (Just wants a team at this point)
-----------------------------
10 players ---> 15.8 M $

brining a total of:

20 players ---> 29.045 M $

Kovalev-> 3 M $
Goon-> 0.45 M $
I guess not Niedermayer but maybe:
Aucoin-> 3 M $

-------------------
3 players -> 6.45 M $

bringing a total of 23 players-> 35.495 M $

while still having a guy like Plekanec in Hamilton who can be very uself and still have about 3.5 M $ ability to move at the trade deadline to acquire a potentiel star player in his final year of contract...or maybe two star players sign most of their contracts will be payed.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Shabutie

It would be great to resign Kovalev, but if not I think we've got a few other great options to look to. For instance Mogilny and Selanne, they have both slowed down in the past years but I can still see either of em scoring 30+ goals alongside koivu (for maybe another 2-3 seasons). Now I know 90% of you aren't found of Selanne but I mean he did play really well with Koivu last year. On the upside both of these guys are 6'0 and about 210. Once again I'd say that I'd rather see Kovalev but realisticly these guys would be easier to pick up. I mean Mogilny only played 37? in 04 and well we all know the kind of season Selanne had... These aren't the players I'd most like to have, but only the players I think would be possible to get.

As for a Dman I think Aucoin would be perfect.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
eddy

If we sign a D and a forward, my preference being Kovalev and Aucoin I think we are defeinetly potential contenders. Even guys similar to those two would be fine i'm just using them as examples as they would be my first choices. Kovalev on a line with Koivu would be great, Saku has never had a goal scorer like him on his wing to complement his great playmaking abilities for the exception of last season's playoffs of course and we all saw how well they did together. Aucoin is a big blue-liner who can log a ton of minuets, and just imagine him and Souray on the PP together, 2 of the hardest shooters in the NHL fireing slapshots from the point, deadly! I see us definetly being within the top 5 in the conference with 2 guys like that quite easily and with potential to go higher. I'd say top 2 is a reach but anywhere from 5-3 in the conference could be possible. Sure-fire playoff team regardless which is all that matters.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Guy Caballero

Whatever they do, they should leave a cushion of a few million dollars so that Lecavalier can come here next season (if he doesn't sign long term this season). Plus, the cap could drop next year, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Those numbers just seem to prove to me that there's no way to sign a #1 D and a #1 F. We're looking at $30M with the incumbents. The team payroll WILL NOT go over $35M.

IF you're talking Aucoin, you're not really talking a #1 D. If you're talking Kovalev, you're not talking $3M.

We can sign an established F and D, sure, and maybe get under the $35M. But there's no way we get two #1's. Maybe we get one or the other, but not both. The numbers just don't support it.

Closed Thread