HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

John Mitchell Mixed Feelings Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 50
John Mitchell Mixed Feelings Thread

I think it's time to show our Malkin some love. He's been surprisingly good this season. He's a reliable PK player, he's put up some points in the last games and he's a 4th liner who can play his game on any line. Very good bottom-6 pickup for us.

Look at the work he does on the forecheck!

Last edited by Teuras: 12-05-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:45 AM
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT

vCash: 432
He has been pretty good these past few games but there are a lot of other players who deserve an appreciation thread before this guy.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
He has been pretty good these past few games but there are a lot of other players who deserve an appreciation thread before this guy.
Granted. I just thought if there was a time to finally show some respect to this guy, it's now. Roy seems to favor him when injuries happen. Moving him up to top lines and somehow it has worked for both of them.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:37 AM
PAZ

Quote:
The other players get put up on a pedestal, they get plenty of praise. Mitchell has been the whipping boy for all the wrong reasons.

Cons:
He makes boneheaded giveaways once every few games.
Tends to be a puck hog (getting better)
Takes stupid penalties
Floats from time to time

Pros:
Plays PK
Decent defensively
Wicked wrister
Makes stuff happen on the 4th line
Passable top 6 forward for a short time.

He's suppose to slot into our 4th line. The fact that he hasn't looked out of place and is a passable replacement is pretty valuable. We've been complaining for years about Stastny not getting proper linemates, Mitchell being able to center the 3rd line only helps that cause.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
I strongly disagree.

The other guys get talked about a lot as it is.

Malkin has been one of our best forwards the last few games, and he's been pretty good all season long.

Definitley not deserving of the hate he gets on these forums. He's very good at driving the puck up the ice, has great control with the puck, and although he could certainly pass a bit more, he's been a good all around player for us all year.

Another good underappreciated signing from Sherman.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:47 AM
kento19
@kento19

This thread isn't going to get much love but i'll give him some.

I've appreciated Malkin for a while now. Even last year he played better than I expected. This year he has gone over and beyond that. Yes he may hold onto the puck too long sometimes but that's usually just when he's playing with Mcleod and Cliche. Whenever he played on higher lines he has moved the puck and sometimes moved it well
Unlike Parenteau, when Mitchell holds on to the puck for too long he usually just runs out of options and gets the puck on net or deep. Parenteau holds onto the puck to long and then watches it go back the other way.

If we can get him back next year on a similar contract i'll be happy with management's choice.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 650
When did the Malkin nickname start?

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Mitchell became the whipping boy in the wrong season. Last year everyone loved him. I thought his defensive game last year was highly overrated and outside of a few highlight goals I thought his offense was lacking. Quite a few posters were touting him to be a top six fill in forward. This year I think his defense is much improved and his offense is about the same and now everyone wants him gone. Funny.

Huis Clos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Foppa2118

That isn't fair. I thought he had been traded for something.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

I'm not a fan of him on the PP but I don't mind him other than that. He does drag a scoring line down a bit, but it's not his fault. He's not that good a player.

The third line of him, McLeod and Talbot were good for us.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm not a fan of him on the PP but I don't mind him other than that. He does drag a scoring line down a bit, but it's not his fault. He's not that good a player.

The third line of him, McLeod and Talbot were good for us.
Well it's kind of his fault. He drags a line down because he tries to dangle all over the ice like Malkin, and it rarely pans out in something. He doesn't have to do this, he can move the puck to his linemates a little quicker and more often.

I give him crap like most everyone else, but he's a decent player on a 3rd line, and he's really rounded out his overall game this year to provide some good defense. Problem is the last 10-15 games, he's forgotten about his new found role, and tried to go back to being Malkin again.

If he would just give up this dream of being a top line offensive scorer, and embrace a two way role on the 3rd line, he'd be a very valuable player. Judging from interviews, and his on ice play though, he just appears to fancy himself an offensive weapon that needs to be unleashed.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Well it's kind of his fault. He drags a line down because he tries to dangle all over the ice like Malkin, and it rarely pans out in something. He doesn't have to do this, he can move the puck to his linemates a little quicker and more often.

I give him crap like most everyone else, but he's a decent player on a 3rd line, and he's really rounded out his overall game this year to provide some good defense. Problem is the last 10-15 games, he's forgotten about his new found role, and tried to go back to being Malkin again.

If he would just give up this dream of being a top line offensive scorer, and embrace a two way role on the 3rd line, he'd be a very valuable player. Judging from interviews, and his on ice play though, he just appears to fancy himself an offensive weapon that needs to be unleashed.
Yeah, I think during preseason there were rumors, that Mitchell would be traded, because he wouldn't get enough ice-time. Right now he's getting his big chance. Better use it well.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:10 AM
AvsfanJack

Should have started a poll to see how many of us want him back. It seems to be pretty even. Or a poll on how much we think he deserves to make, if brought back.

AvsfanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

vCash: 7050
What does he make now?

If he wants more than that....see ya.

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
No appreciation coming from here. When he's not putting up points he's useless. He drags down lines for the most part and his defense is by way of being a puck hog, ala Kovalev.

Kudos for the points, but that's about as far as any praise should go.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Tigervixxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Yeah, I think during preseason there were rumors, that Mitchell would be traded, because he wouldn't get enough ice-time. Right now he's getting his big chance. Better use it well.
I'm pretty sure that was Dater making stuff up to fit in his article about the Avs talking to Philly when they were trying to dump Mezsaros. I have no doubt Mitchell would love to be on a higher line but I don't think he was ever on the outs like that. Dater just couldn't wrap his brain around how Roy was going to use all his centers.

I'm happy seeing Malkin do well. He has scored some nice goals and made a few nice passes. He fills a good role on the team and doesn't really bother me.

Y'all are late with the thread though, Engblom started the love fest on the last post game show.

Tigervixxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Tigervixxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
What does he make now?

If he wants more than that....see ya.
1.1 million

Old
12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
When did the Malkin nickname start?
I believe Leafs fans were the first to pin that name on him.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

vCash: 7050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
1.1 million
That's not quite what I thought it would be. I guess I wouldn't be upset if he signed in the 1.5-2 million range.

Like someone else said, you only notice his good play when he is putting up points. If he isn't putting up points, his game is usually pretty bad and there isn't much to like about it.

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
electricjib

How many take-aways does he have? He's been surprisingly good at taking the puck when the other team is coming out of their zone or in the neutral zone this year.

Say what you want about the guys play, but he works hard. His play has gotten better as the year has gone on. Talbot has become my new whipping boy . Maybe Roy can bring Talbot's play up to par in time for Wilson to get back.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I get some of the frustration, but in the end, he's a fourth-line guy. Those types of players are eminently replaceable, and he's filled in just fine in larger roles given the circumstances. Jay McClement was a much more defensively sound and reliable player, especially on the PK, but he didn't want to stay here. Malkin has been a perfectly fine replacement IMO.

And if one of our many grinder-type forwards playing for the Monsters can't eventually replace him in a 4th line role that's more an indictment of those players than it is of Malkin.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Tigervixxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
How many take-aways does he have? He's been surprisingly good at taking the puck when the other team is coming out of their zone or in the neutral zone this year.

Say what you want about the guys play, but he works hard. His play has gotten better as the year has gone on. Talbot has become my new whipping boy . Maybe Roy can bring Talbot's play up to par in time for Wilson to get back.
He is second on the team with 19 takeaways

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/st...atistics/2013/

Old
12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
AvsfanJack

I say let's focus on getting Staz back, let Mitchell go, then give a young kid a shot. Like Malone, or Heard.

AvsfanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

I have to say that when he's skating into the offensive zone with the puck, I think to myself, "He could score here..."
But when I see him ready to pass, I think, "Someone get ready to cover for his turnover!"

12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Mitchell has been very good for the player he is, or has been in the past. He has been responsible in the defensive end with the puck. Roy obviously feels comfortable with him out there.

I agree that he does not deserve the hatred that he gets.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote