HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Fitness - Conditions Post #34

Old
12-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Hockey Fitness - Conditions Post #34

This is the official hockey fitness thread. All fitness related posts will be made here effective today. Share fitness experiences and concerns here.

A few rules.

1.) No advertising posts - defined as generating benefits for the poster as opposed to strictly sharing information. There are sponsorship and advertising options available if you wish to generate benefits. See the "Become a Sponsor" heading.

2.) Intellectual property issues. If posting links to videos or websites copyright and trademark issues have to be respected.

3.) Shill testimonials will not be tolerated.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-13-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Canadiens1958

Links to Threads

Off-season Training for Hockey:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1223081

Crossfit:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1550599

Old
12-03-2013, 09:18 AM
JaeTM

I started P90X about 45 days ago and it's really been great for my conditioning. I used to get pretty winded pretty quickly, and then go out for my shift and only be able to push it for a few seconds before getting tired again. Now, I find myself to be able to push myself multiple times a game and feeling refreshed after my time on the bench.

Hate working out, but love it after I'm done lol.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here was a good thread we had on weight lifting.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Thesensation19

My general advice:

Nutrition, Sleep, Recovery, Cross-training.

1) Cross-training:

I know I have recommended Crossfit to many here but Cross-training does not necessarily mean you have to join a Crossfit gym. I still would love to see more people give it a try and at least attend some Intro classes but there are far more options at play.

You can play other sports. Each sport has its own use of muscle groups needed and its own sport specific skills. Playing and training for other sports can directly help your hockey game. I believe we all know that.

MMA is one of my new favorite training styles. You look at a guy like George St. Pierre and his training routine, that guy is a pure athlete. French Canadian, I am sure he played a little hockey lol.

His training impresses me not only because of his intensity but his vast interest in doing all forms of training. He spends focus and time doing some gymnastic stuff (pull ups, dips, roll overs, hand stands, body-weight exercises) and then he spends other times doing true weight lifting routines like snatches and clean and jerks and squats.

Attending Jiu-jitzu classes too is something I want to try on the regular. Idk how much of you know this, I didnt at first, but there is no punching or kicking in JJ and there is just straight grappling and wrestling form of training. One of the best things you can do in an hour because it works on your mobility, flexibility, power, strength, and balance. A pro MMA coach once said that Clay Mathews was once a guy who could squat 600lbs and bench 300lbs but he couldnt move him (a 5'10, 180lb 50 year old) and it had a lot to do with center of gravity, force, and simple kineseology that now Matthew credits to his vast growth as a professional in the last 2 seasons.

So simply put. Whether your a professional hockey player, an amateur looking to make it big or a guy who just wants to improve in hockey and his overall health. Well, dont be afraid to try new activities especially ones that incorporate compound exercises and core-strenghtenining.

Also, Look at the Tabata Training.
One main studied the results of medium-intensity training and high-intensity training. He studied it with bikers and its been proven in bootcamps and runners.

Doing a HIIT where you go hard for 20 seconds on an exercise (same exercise over and over or change it up) and 10 seconds really slow it down or rest for 20 minutes has shown significant difference then people who were doing a 60- minute medium intensity (doing the same exercises). Better results in your health and overall fitness. So try to implement that routinely in your week.

Nutrition-
One of my favorites. I would recommend a real simple thing I learned mostly from Gary Roberts seminars.

> Little to no added salt. Little to no added sugar. If you wish to that little bit of these, try to lean towards the unprocessed versions of it. Like Sea Salt or Raw Sugar.
> Diminish the amount of grains you have (whether or not you are allergic) and try to replace those grains with vegetables and fruit. FDA says you should get around 7 fruits/veggies a day and fruit should really only be like 1/2 a day. 70% of America apparently does not get this dosage. (Personally I have done this and there are times where I cut grains out completely and I have seen a significant difference in my body fat % and daily energy quickly).
> Try to get about 1-1.5g of protein per body weight a day.
> Go Organic as much as you can. You can find research on both sides of the table, for me I have no issue with the price of organic and I believe in natural real foods. Granted some places love to jack up the price and there are evil companies out there that BS this all the time. Just do the quick Google search or extensive research on the products you buy.

Roberts also says stay away from foods that have an ingredients list. Stick to clean, real foods.

I do sometimes get some foods with ingredients lists and when I do I make sure the ingredients are not unnecessary filled with things I cannot pronounce. Or a better way to put it, if my grandma didnt use this then I question it.

Look into Raw Honey, Raw Coconut Oil, Olive Oil for cooking and dressing. I also love Almond butter, take a spoon full of that before a work out or game.

You can find a lot of great stuff for a great deal at Whole Foods.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Thesensation19

Recovery
- Average person should get 8 hours of sleep a night. 7 the least.
- I often find myself not averaging 8 hours a night because of work and late night games. Like the past two days I am in a total of maybe 12 hours. I try to close my eyes on the train ride into work and back and it does help. Makes the world of a difference for the night and long week ahead.

Look into the health benefits of raw honey and cinnamon. Has been known to help everything from joint pain, healing cuts and wounds, stomach problems, heart burn and some other miraculous things. However the honey that has been more known to do these things is called Manuka Honey, raw organic honey from New Zealand. Im trying some this week. Pretty stoked cuz I have already used honey and cinnamon to help in some cold symptoms, sore throats and other things and its worked for me. Also acne, its a natural antibiotic and I rub the stuff on my face and keep it for 10-15 minutes. Immediately after my face is less red, and I see a difference in the next day or two. Do it regularly and it will greatly help.

To jump back to the organic topic. Listen, dont get crazy with me on it. If you dont want to then do it but there was one thing I learned a while back that I want to share because I dont think its as obvious as some of you think.

Non-organic "farms". In reference to their animals like cows and chicken. The way they raise these animals is disgusting.

They feed them garbage and corn and wheat. For those of you who are not aware, corn is not that good for us. Actually, its basically not good at all for us and it holds little nutritional value. The feed them this because its cheap and they have a ton of it to make them fat and weight more. Corn is not good for us because our bodies cannot easily digest it. Sure, we do not die from it. However, you can clearly see (literally) that corn is not easily digestible and it forces our gut to work over time in getting rid of it and sometimes its not digested at all properly. If our gut is working over time, then our immune system (which 80% of it is located within our gut) is working extra and putting more focus for a long time to get rid of it while not focusing on other things. It has been proven that when our gut does not have to work so much digesting foods like gluten and corn that we cannot digest well then our bodies can have an easier time in turning fat into muscle and improve our overall health.

Chickens and cows are the same way. They cannot digest corn or wheat very well and the big farm companies feed them this most of the day.

So yes, the calories from this is making them heavier but they are not gaining much from this diet.

On top of that. These places also have no issue feeding chickens egg shells and cows beef. Yes, I am serious. They hide it in their corn meals so that they do not know of it but it is true. They do this to add on protein to the animal. Unfortunately chickens should not be eating egg shells, and cows are herbavores and should not be eating meat. Let alone their own kind!

Now this has very little to do with morals and more to do with health and nutrition.

This is the diet that they give their animals on the daily. Most of the day. And its well known that these animals because of their diet is not creating very healthy animals.

In fact, cows eating beef is the exact reason why there is mad cow disease and other issues you hear about in farming and meat products. Mad cow disease is because cows are eating other cows.

Thirdly, Because these chickens and cows are force fed tons of food they become overweight. Extremely fatter than they should be. So their stomachs are stretched out and a lot of animals become extremely sick.

To treat the sick animals (basically every single one of them, if not in fact every single one of them) is given antibiotic shots and other forms of medicine. Antibiotics have shown to be a miraculous drug saving many lives but 1) they do have tons of side effects 2) they do create bad bacteria in your body 3) they destory good bacteria in your body

When you eat an animal, you are eating essentially what it ate. This is a fact.

Cows, chickens, most farm animals are to be on a grass-fed diet. And if you want them to be healthier, they should be free ranged. Let them live a heathly life so they are truly healthy animals and thus you are eating a healthy product. This includes its by-products like milk and eggs.

**Disclaimer**
Organic, like fresh and natural, have become advertising tools and because of this there are many companies out there who have no problem playing with words and claiming something is organic when it is not. Whole Foods I would say is a great source for all of this but you shoul always be kind of skeptical. Do some research on where things come from.

Lunch places that claim organic scare me mostly. They have far less worries to be caught and have no issue claiming things are organic and then they buy "organic" products from big time stores. Charging you an arm and a leg for nothing.

I do not eat a 100% organic diet. I try my best too but its impossible in my house.
I do hope to one day move out and have a family where we try to eat even more organic than I do now. Go to local farms for direct relationships with farmers and their products like veggies, fruit, meat and milk. I am looking into my own chicken coop though its not always possible. I do want my own garden.

I like this lifestyle. I understand if you dont.
I am just here spreading info i receivedl.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Thesensation19

I also believe everyone here underrates how valuable recovery is to even the most general of people. Even if you dont play sports, you should take time in your day (basically everyday) to do certain things to recover from your day of errands, work, family, walks, stress. What have you

Everyone should invest into two things. A Baseball and a foam roller.
It can be great to loosen up the muscles in your body when you cant get a massage. It helps all types of stress.

Try to hit the sauna once a week if possible.

Give your mind a break too

Old
12-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I was going to start a new thread, but I found this thread.

I just started playing hockey again after a 6-year absence from the sport. I made my high school's JV team, and didn't make the varsity team (not really surprised). I do have a goal to make the team next year, my junior year. But I have a few weaknesses I need to improve on before I start improving.

Weaknesses:

Left ankle strength- This is the most important issue I have in my opinion. My right ankle is decent (I can cross off over with that ankle normally, can stop good on that ankle, it dosent bend, etc.), but my left ankle is rediculous. My left ankle is weak so it's rough to cross over on that ankle, can't stop on that ankle, and it bends. The reason its awkward to crossover or I can't stop on that ankle is because the ankle bends on that foot too much. I have thought about using tape on that ankle, but the bend isnt bad enough for other people to notice (at least noone has yet heckled me to my face) so I figured I would just try the natural way to improve it. Anyway know of some ideas on how improve this problem in the weight room?

Speed- No surprise here, after the long layoff from hockey, my legs/hips during the first week of tryouts did not allow me to skate fast (kids were saying I would've started on the Varsity team if I wasn't slow). I'm sure the left ankle problem is attributing to this problem. Simply, I need to know some tips on how to improve my speed in the weight room.

Hands- I was a little better today (5th practice, 1st JV practice), but handling the puck used to be my strongsuit, but after the layoff stickhandling and recieving passes has been difficult. Nice passes have bounced off my stick on numerous occasions, and on 1 v 1 drills I have lost control of the puck twice. Anyone know any workouts that allows me to get softer hands? Shockingly, my passing is still smooth, and is about the only playmaking I can do.

Statima- Something that is not surprising, but after a half an hour in practice I am winded. Statima is something I am going to need to get back, so if anyone has some fitness tips to improve statima that would be great.

Upperbody Strength- This is to improve the velocity on my shot, and strength on my stick. I am very thin (5'10", 110) so some upperbody workout suggestions would be great.

I listed my issues in order from most important down. JV practice is only once a week, with the possibility of a 2nd practice thrown in weekly, and an off chance of a 3rd practice. That would be great if we are able to get more than 1 practice in a week. My main goal heading into my 1st year playing high school hockey at the JV level is improve myself, so next year, my Junior year, I will be on Varsity. If I had more than 1 practice a week, I would be able to improve in practice, but I am going to have to put it in my own hands. If anyone has nutrition suggestions that would be great. I have tried eating 3000+ calorie diets, but that is rediculously hard to do with school in session 8 hours a day. I could possibly purchase some weight gainer at GNC as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I am able to find help.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'm reffing my first game of the season later (3rd tier gb hockey).

Done minimal hockey related training since October, let's see how a military training programme works!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Marotte Marauder

Prowler sled work for leg power and stamina.

Overhead squats for core and leg strength.

Plyo jumps for explosive power

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 06:10 AM
izzy3

My only conditioning comes from kettlebell swings and snatches, mostly done in tabata style. It gives me better hockey stamina than I ever had with jogging or bike.

I usually do weighted pistols once a week (my fav, all hockey players should do them ), and have some pullups and military presses and that's it. In my 40s now, so if I hit the ice 3-4 times a week, that's pretty much all my body can take.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:38 AM
naimaethic
Rookie User

For me when its about fitness then its the first of all to be followed and maintained with this I used to have some what training and fitness program like wake-up early in the morning, have a 5-7 km run then have a rest of few minutes like for 15-25 min then a very healthy breakfast of vegetables and fruits then lunch at 1PM and then at last in the evening a good dinner.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-10-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: advertising ink deleted.
naimaethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been doing extra laps after coaching mini mites, as well as doing body weight squats, medicine ball deadlifts, and figuring out my new slide board. Trying to really get more conditioning than strength building.

I felt a lot more jump on the ice last week and was able to beat out the defenseman for four breakaways. But I'm still not losing the weight I want.

So I think I'll be upping the exercise even more and just trying to do some traditional cardio. I'd like to find a bike trainer that I can ride for 20-30 minutes every week day, and then on the weekends I'll have about 3-4 hours of ice time.

Oh, and cutting down the beer. That's probably the culprit in the weight loss. I'll have to cut back to maybe one or two nice microbrews per week.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Canadiens1958

Weight Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've been doing extra laps after coaching mini mites, as well as doing body weight squats, medicine ball deadlifts, and figuring out my new slide board. Trying to really get more conditioning than strength building.

I felt a lot more jump on the ice last week and was able to beat out the defenseman for four breakaways. But I'm still not losing the weight I want.

So I think I'll be upping the exercise even more and just trying to do some traditional cardio. I'd like to find a bike trainer that I can ride for 20-30 minutes every week day, and then on the weekends I'll have about 3-4 hours of ice time.

Oh, and cutting down the beer. That's probably the culprit in the weight loss. I'll have to cut back to maybe one or two nice microbrews per week.
Weight loss is more a function of diet than exercise. From the above it seems that you may be building muscle and stamina while maintaining the weight.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I tried doing this workout yesterday, did 50 reps on each ankle, and woke up with no soreness in my ankles at all. I'm assuming the workout doesn't work.
http://www.fitsugar.com/Ankle-Streng...e_nid=31081975
http://www.fitsugar.com/Ankle-Streng...e_nid=31081979

Anyone have any better ankle workouts to make your ankles stronger?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:04 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Losing weight, specifically fat and even some upper body muscle, is a very wise idea for adult rec leaguers looking to gain acceleration. If you're say, 6 feet even, being over 190-195lbs isn't going to do you any good. If you're not playing full contact, there's zero reason to be heavier than that.

Being thinner will likely enhance your cardio capacity on its own and may help your agility too.

CarpeNoctem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
mmountain
Rookie User

I created this reply with 'watch the yeti' in mind, but it might help some of you put a little structure into your in-season training. During the in-season the primary goals are: staying healthy #1 and maintain/building strength and power, too many players lose their speed over the course of the season.

So here is a very quick workout that you can do at with minimal equipment that will give you a good start - the video includes the sets and reps -

You mentioned that you only get one practice, so stamina is an issue so here are some high intensity interval combos that you can include in your training a couple times per week -

So you can do the Strength workout 2-3 times per week and the energy system workout twice per week + your practice.

I hope that gives you a good start, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Maria

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-11-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: links to videos offering a "subscribe" option are not allowed since they contravene board advertising policy.
mmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
mmountain
Rookie User

Quote:

You are bang on re: cutting back on the beer a little bit. Alcohol is caloric-ally dense AND it slows your metabolism - double whammy

As someone else mentioned, high intensity interval training is going to give you more bang for your buck than traditional cardio. Studies have shown that it is effective on both elite athletes and individuals trying to lose body fat alike.

It is hard, like really hard, but you only have to do 10-20 minutes of exercise to get more benefit than a 50-minute steady state workout. I know it sounds too good to be true, but again, it is supported by data.

Here are a couple workouts you can try - but remember the 'hard' portion needs to be very, very hard. If you do not feel like you might lose your lunch at some point, you are not going hard enough

#1 - these are the Tabatas referred to in another post
20s as hard as you can: 10s very, very easy
Repeat that 8 times (yes, only four minutes)
Rest 3-minutes
Repeat the 20s hard: 10s easy - 8-more times.
Crawl away.

#2 -
30s very hard: 60s very easy
Repeat 10 times
Done.

This also gives you the type of energy system training that you need when you play, teaching your body to go fast, recover, go fast, recover.

Make sure you do a nice warm up before the intervals and as always, know your limits - make sure your doctor thinks it is safe for you to engage in max exertion first.

Hope that helps give you some ideas, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Maria

mmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been avoiding regular cardio in favor of interval training, circuit training, strength training, body weight training, literally everything else. I do think I literally just need to work on those aerobic pathways.

Also started doing some stretches for my lower back. I've never been good about stretching but between coaching, hockey, shoveling, and working out, my lower back has been killing me. Fortunately my wife is doing some PT for her lower back and I'm just copping the workout.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I tried doing this workout yesterday, did 50 reps on each ankle, and woke up with no soreness in my ankles at all. I'm assuming the workout doesn't work.
http://www.fitsugar.com/Ankle-Streng...e_nid=31081975
http://www.fitsugar.com/Ankle-Streng...e_nid=31081979

Anyone have any better ankle workouts to make your ankles stronger?
Well that is not exactly a strength program there. But its a great routine nonetheless and one that is undervalued even in the elite athletic world. Its mostly used to help in preventing injuries by increasing mobility and flexibility.

Whats good for ankle strength is
1) Stand on the edge of the stairs facing the upwards of the staircase. Your foot should not be flat footed on the step but rather half or a quarter of your foot starting from the toes should be on it while the back of your foot dangles off the edge of the step. Sorry if its redundant to describe this, some people have never heard of this before. Then using your ankles/calves/feet whatever, lift yourself upwards onto your toes. Go down back to original heel hanging position. Idk what these are called but there good for ankles and calves and balance. Repeat this X amount of times. Try to do 50 each leg 5x a week every week. You can do this with one leg, you can do both legs. I try to do it by doing a few on one, a few on another then repeat and then add in doing both legs. The ideal way to do this is without holding onto anything, but that takes practice.

After that, then you can also do the elastic bands. You should do those at least 5x a week as well for 5-10 minutes.

2) Hills/Stairs are great for ankle strength. Ideally a nice dirt/sandy slow incline hill.

3) Long distance running. After a long long jog especially in the woods or state park with some hills you will notice soreness and thus strength training

Old
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
Losing weight, specifically fat and even some upper body muscle, is a very wise idea for adult rec leaguers looking to gain acceleration. If you're say, 6 feet even, being over 190-195lbs isn't going to do you any good. If you're not playing full contact, there's zero reason to be heavier than that.

Being thinner will likely enhance your cardio capacity on its own and may help your agility too.
Its always great to lose body fat %. Body fat % is an underrated measurement of health and fitness. We spend too much time looking at the scale hoping that our "weight" would be in some kind of normal range when in reality weight is so misunderstood and a horrible conception.

Everyone should be aware of their weight, sure. But much more so their own body fat %. That goes for elite athletes, regular athletes, college students, dads, moms, businessmen, hockey players or non-hockey players.

So I do agree with you on that take, but there is more than a 0 reason to be a 6-foot 210lb player. A good 210 skater can be very hard to knock off the puck, can be very hard to win in loose puck battles and can be very hard to defend or get around. Even if there is no hitting. I play mens league and there is no hitting but there is physicality to the game as you know. Defending the puck, winning a loose puck, trying to steal the puck. All this involves strength to a degree and I do not mean just how much you can curl or bench press.

Ive seen plenty of under-6feet, over 200lb hockey players who are good to great skaters, who are difficult to steal the puck from and have a strong presence.
And these guys are not slow. There explosive.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
I've been avoiding regular cardio in favor of interval training, circuit training, strength training, body weight training, literally everything else. I do think I literally just need to work on those aerobic pathways.

Also started doing some stretches for my lower back. I've never been good about stretching but between coaching, hockey, shoveling, and working out, my lower back has been killing me. Fortunately my wife is doing some PT for her lower back and I'm just copping the workout.
Endurance training (like long distance jogs or biking) "regular cardio" I assume you mean is very important for fitness and health I believe.

Do not get me wrong. I tend to avoid it too. One week I have the urge to and ill do it a few times. Other weeks I avoid it completely and play it off like hockey and soccer is my cardio for the week lol.

However, I cant say its not important in training or just overall health. I try to mix in a long bike ride or a long jog here and there. It trains your body for, well long activity. I like to believe that it helps me improve my overall endurance so that I could last longer in games and like you said, truly opens up my aerobic pathways.

Also, I tend to do endurance training on my rest days. Days that my body needs a rest from HIIT, WL, GYMN or sport. I like to go for a 30-minute run or bike ride. It warms up the body, loosens it and I feel like I dont lose a step the next training day as oppose to doing no training.

I work 40+ hours a week with some hefty traveling. When I have free time, like on the weekends I might start my day off with a 3-4 mile jog or bike it. As I get older and aim to work less or have a more ideal schedule then I hope to have more time to do that more freq. in the week because I believe its good for you. And that goes for anyone.

However, most of my training is sport specific. Weights, Plyos, HIIT, Sports, Mobility, Wrestling. Just because I do not enjoy running all too much.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:

Im not trying to say what you do is wrong. Like I said, I have a busy schedule too and I tend to avoid endurance training and play it off like HIIT is a replacement for it. And hiit is great, however try to mix in endurance stuff too. Why not mix up a bunch of training styles.

For your lower back. Obviously review your form when you lift and work out, review your diet. Even if youve done that before and believe your doing fine with that, why not review it again. Theres always room for improvement.

Idk if you do, but eating Gluten has been known to increase inflammation in the body. Even if your not allergic. Most people will not realize it but they have some sort of gluten intolerance for whatever reason. Because your body and gut has a tough time breaking down gluten and grains then it reduces your immune system. You would not believe the benefits of a gluten free diet. If you find this rendundant, excuse me. I do not know you so I am just stating news I have experienced and learned over the years.

And finally my main point for your lower back. Look at Sumo Wrestlers. They do this insane split that has their legs as wide as it can go and their bodies trying to touch the floor. I def cannot do it to their degree of perfection but just working on it has improved my back issues. Stretched the lower back ideally.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Best thing off-ice training I have done the past couple of years to improve my hockey performance is interval rowing on an erg (on a Concept 2 rower). It works the whole body, is a mix of cardio and strength, and it can be done year round regardless of weather conditions or my schedule allowing me to get to the gym/rink. I have noticed a big improvement in the length my energy bursts and much quicker recovery times between shifts.

Also, coming off ACL reconstruction surgery 9 months ago, my PT and I developed a legs strength training plan to maintain the muscle mass, flexibility, and balance I have acquired during 9 months of intense physiotherapy. I have learned how important strong and flexible hamstrings are for good knee/leg health.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Thesensation19

I do enjoy a good row.

My favorite pre-workout for any activity (sport, training, just to chill lol) consists of:

10 minute warm up. I love a good 5-10 minute row to increase blood flow and heart rate. If not a row, I change it up on a treadmill run or a bike. But row is #1 cuz its an all body work out, it works on flexibility and explosion and its fun.

I then do a 10 minute dynamic stretch routine which has proved to me wonders. I can skip the row or jog but this dynamic routine is a must.

All I need is like 10-15 yards. I usually go into my gyms studio when its free. LA has it open consistently. I start from one end and then jog to the other end. I jog back to the starting point and that is a LAP. Each time I go back for a new lap I do a new stretch like kicks, jumps, sprints, shuffles.
Below is an ideal warm up I do and I love.

The stretches usually goes like this.
Lap 1) jog
Lap 2) Back jog
Lap 3) Mid Knees
Lap 4) Butt Kicks
Lap 5) High Knees
Lap 6) Butt Kicks
Lap 7) Side to side
Lap 8) Side to Side (opposite side)
Lap 9) Hip rotate. (step to the side, lift your leg up and over as if there was a chair in its way.) Inside
Lap 10) Outside Hip Rotate
Lap 11) Kareoke Shuffle. Or some of you may have heard of it as a Jungle swing
Lap 12) Same thing opposite side
Lap 13) Skips
Lap 14) Side kicks
Lap 15) Medium (hip height) kicks
Lap 16) High Kicks.
Lap 17) On left foot, use left hand to touch foot. On the way back use the right hand
Lap 18) Same at 17 but switch foot stance
Lap 19) Bow. On both feet, touch your toes.
Lap 20) Quick feet for 5 feet and then sprint.

**Its a lot, but dynamic stretching is great for a warm up. Loosens me up without getting my muscles sore or tired or too elastic like a static stretch. If I need to save time I might have a lap only be touching the cone and not return and have the return jog be the following lap. Ideally though is what you see above. I feel ready to go for my sort of training which involves a lot of squats, pull ups, oly lifts and plyos***

Right after I do some neck and hip stretches for a minute or two and then start,