HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thorton offered 5 year deal by Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Thorton offered 5 year deal by Bruins

Personally, if I were him, unless the deal was worth around $35m, I would not take it and become a UFA next year. Someone will make him a max player.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
JR#9*

My biggest goal this year is to put ourselves in position to make a huge run at Jumbo Joe come july 1st.

If there is one guy who deserves to be maxed out at this point in the NHL it's him as he will be a top 3 player for the next 6-8 yrs and he is just now about to enter his prime at 26.

Back up the brinks truck Slats and max him out to get him to build the kids around next summer.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Lol, Joey T's group seems pretty pissed off.

5 years for 25 mil. Ouch.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131601

Old
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
My biggest goal this year is to put ourselves in position to make a huge run at Jumbo Joe come july 1st.

If there is one guy who deserves to be maxed out at this point in the NHL it's him as he will be a top 3 player for the next 6-8 yrs and he is just now about to enter his prime at 26.

Back up the brinks truck Slats and max him out to get him to build the kids around next summer.
Def, we should do what the Lakers did with Shaq. Just be prepared to step up and offer the max... dont do anything stupid the year before... leave plenty of room.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Lol, Joey T's group seems pretty pissed off.

5 years for 25 mil. Ouch.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131601
lol good. There loss could be our gain. Think a top line of him and Kessel could be fun to watch?

Old
07-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
lol good. There loss could be our gain. Think a top line of him and Kessel could be fun to watch?
Or freakin towers in Jessiman-Thornton? Man these are going to be some fun and wild times!

Old
07-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Phil Kessel-Joe Thornton-Jack Skille

Old
07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Or freakin towers in Jessiman-Thornton? Man these are going to be some fun and wild times!
lol, let's get Thornton first!

Old
07-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
lol, let's get Thornton first!
haha, AND see if jessiman is ready to step up any time soon. i like the optimism though

Old
07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Phil Kessel-Joe Thornton-Jack Skille

I like the way you think.

Old
07-27-2005, 08:24 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Personally, if I were him, unless the deal was worth around $35m, I would not take it and become a UFA next year. Someone will make him a max player.
exactly what i was thinking...he'll be the first superstar to become a ufa by the 7 year rule. if i was him i'd sign the QO to become a UFA next year.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:15 PM
dedalus

It's funny reading every agent on there tell why his client is still worth a fortune. I thought the Gonchar thing best of all.

Interesting opening offer by Boston. It will go up, of course. Whether or not it gets to where Thornton wants it remains to be seen.

Clear plenty of space, Sather; clear plenty of space.

Old
07-28-2005, 07:47 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
It's funny reading every agent on there tell why his client is still worth a fortune. I thought the Gonchar thing best of all.

Interesting opening offer by Boston. It will go up, of course. Whether or not it gets to where Thornton wants it remains to be seen.

Clear plenty of space, Sather; clear plenty of space.
Agrred.That's why I keep stating stay close to the minimum this year. We can obtain a franchise player or two(Thorton and Kessel) next year. The rebuilding can be accelerated under the right conditions.Its a brave new hockey world.

Old
07-28-2005, 08:09 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Doesn't anyone remember that Thornton had huge motivation problems most of his career? I took a swift kick from Keenan to get him playing to his potential. I don't think we should bring in any player that does willfully bring it every night. Or we could bring back Keenan :-)

Old
07-28-2005, 08:14 AM
True Blue

The reality is that if you are Thorton, there is no reason whatsoever to sign this deal. He can rest assured that if the B's do not offer him what he wants, there WILL be more than a handfull of teams that will offer to make him a max player next year. IMO, the B's are going to play a dangerous game. One that could cost them one of the top players in the league next year.
The owners wanted "cost-certainty". They certainly got it. However, trying to avoid the certainty that the stars of the league will demand to be paid like stars may lead some of these owners crying in their own soup.
Not only Thorton, but Lecavalier as well. Isn't he also a UFA next year? Talk about a quick rebuild. $16m and you can have Thorton and Lecavalier leading your team. Like Boston, Tampa had better not play around w/ the likes of Vinny & St. Louis. Otherwise, the Cup will be a fond memory of a team that will be mired in nothingness for the next decade.

Old
07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Fletch

It is an interesting offer, dedalus...

but even in this market, it's somewhat insulting and the Bruins have to know Joe wouldn't sign for $5 million per at this stage of his career. Obviously there will be a next offer, which I would guess still wouldn't get it done. I'd love to see Boston lose Thornton.

I agree with you TB and NYR...he will get at least near the max. It'll take an offer around $7 million to keep him in Boston (meaning, I don't know Joe, but if there is a bit of loyalty, he may not demand the max from Boston).

Old
07-28-2005, 08:41 AM
JR#9*

Joe should be the NYR's #1 priority and the goal this year is to position yourselves to make a huge run at him.

I've read that Detroit is his team of choice being that he grew up within an hour of there and that was his team but I don't think a team with a maxed out payroll and on the downside is what he'll be looking for.

With the NYR's at least he knows the team will spend to the absolute max to put the best team on ice and with the new landscape we can quickly surround a guy like Joe with the proper talent.

The fact that we have Jagr for the next 4 yrs eating up only 4.5 million of our cap space is huge and a drawing card for luring UFA's who want to win because we'll have to players who would normally get the max but Jagr's savings allows us to invest it in other areas to put the best team out there possible.

Can you imagine Thornton-Jagr on a line?

And with all the kids providing great organizational depth and 2 top propects in net as well as the ability to add UFA's at 25-26 I think we will be an attractive spot for UFA's.

Endorsment deals will be one way a player can make additional income and I think the NY market provides probrably alot more opportunities then pretty much every other market for a big star player.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
but even in this market, it's somewhat insulting and the Bruins have to know Joe wouldn't sign for $5 million per at this stage of his career. Obviously there will be a next offer, which I would guess still wouldn't get it done.
I'm not sure it's insulting at all. The fact of the matter is that no one really knows what the new NHL landscape looks like, exactly. If say, Forsberg and Naslund sign for $6 million, is offering Thornton $5 million really an insult? Would he deserve a max contract? Probably not.

I'm not convinced any player in the league will get a max contract, because I'm not sure it makes any sense to tie up 20% of your payroll into one guy not named Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr.

At this point, I think the Bruins want and see what Forsberg and Naslund go for, and then offer Joe a little bit less. If he turns it down, then I think they see what they can get for him in a trade.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
I'm not sure it's insulting at all. The fact of the matter is that no one really knows what the new NHL landscape looks like, exactly. If say, Forsberg and Naslund sign for $6 million, is offering Thornton $5 million really an insult? Would he deserve a max contract? Probably not.

I'm not convinced any player in the league will get a max contract, because I'm not sure it makes any sense to tie up 20% of your payroll into one guy not named Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr.

At this point, I think the Bruins want and see what Forsberg and Naslund go for, and then offer Joe a little bit less. If he turns it down, then I think they see what they can get for him in a trade.
And this is why Joe will walk come July 1st!!!!

Everybody in the league knows Jacobs isn't committed to winning but rather to his bottom line and that's fine, it's his money but all NHL palyers know this and Joe has been pissed for yrs about how the team does business and he will bolt 1st chance he gets.

And if I'm giving out one max contract in this new NHL it's going to Jumbo Joe.If anybody is worth it it's him over the next 5-6 yrs.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Fletch

Exactly JR...

I understand your point Gator, and do not think I've implied he'd get the maximum, but $5 million still sounded a bit low to me and I would guess that a 27 year old of Thornton's stature hitting the UFA mark would be a very sought-after commodity, regardless of for what Forsberg and Naslund sign. It's rare you can get for cash and no players a talent in his prime.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Everybody in the league knows Jacobs isn't committed to winning but rather to his bottom line and that's fine, it's his money
The Bruins have been very vocal about the fact that they'll spend to the cap. Their issue here isn't about their total payroll as much as it's about giving too much of it to one player.

Mike O'Connell said on the radio the other day that it's clear that the more Joe signs for, the less they would have to spend on other players.

Quote:
And if I'm giving out one max contract in this new NHL it's going to Jumbo Joe.If anybody is worth it it's him over the next 5-6 yrs.
We'll agree to disagree. As talented as he is, Joe's yet to show any signs of being able to completely live up to his potential. Over the past five seasons, he's been a pretty consistent 65-75 point player who's been pretty quiet in the post-season... and that's not the kind of guy I give the league max to.

Quote:
I understand your point Gator, and do not think I've implied he'd get the maximum, but $5 million still sounded a bit low to me and I would guess that a 27 year old of Thornton's stature hitting the UFA mark would be a very sought-after commodity, regardless of for what Forsberg and Naslund sign. It's rare you can get for cash and no players a talent in his prime.
I'm not sure it was low at all. I think this was a case of the Bruins simply taking a shot in the dark. I can't blame them for making the offer they did, and I can't really blame Thornton for not taking it.

And if Joe DID hit the market, I'm sure he would be sought after. Someone might even offer him more than what Forsberg or Naslund would get. But IMO, that would be a mistake, because he's not as good as either player, and the team that got him would be taking something of a gamble.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:51 AM
JR#9*

No matter what way you cut it Joe WILL get a max contract next summer, whetehr it's in Boston, Ny or someplace else I don't know but somebody, hopefully the NYR's will max him out and I think he's going to be a top 3 player in the game both this year and probrably for the next 5-6 yrs.

Joe will be a 100pt guy this yr with the new rules and if they call all the obstruction, especially down low, Joe will be simply unstoppable.

Jason Allison was making that point the other day about how much he's going to benifit if they call the obstruction not only at center ice but also on the downlow cycle where it is even more apparant.

A guy like Allison or Joe will be impossible to stop coming out of the conrners with the puck.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
No matter what way you cut it Joe WILL get a max contract next summer, whetehr it's in Boston, Ny or someplace else I don't know but somebody, hopefully the NYR's will max him out and I think he's going to be a top 3 player in the game both this year and probrably for the next 5-6 yrs.
See, I'm not sure about that because I'm not sure any team in the league would be too thrilled about tying up 20% of their cap space on one player. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
See, I'm not sure about that because I'm not sure any team in the league would be too thrilled about tying up 20% of their cap space on one player. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Not to you, but bet your bottom dollar that if Boston is foolish enough to allow Joe to become a UFA, a team like NY, Colarado, Philly, Detroit, etc... WILL give him whatever dollar figure he wants.

Closed Thread