HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner

Old
12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

vCash: 500
Penner

So not having watched any ucks games, Penner's stats are pretty good. Was he just underachieving in LA or is Getzlaugh that good?

I didn't want him to go but would he ever have put up those numbers here in LA?

What does that say about guys like Kopi and Richards? Would they be 90-100 point players in a wide open system?

I believe defense wins championships so I don't mind the system we run, and I believe we have entertaining players all the same, but it is interesting to see guys like Penner and Purcell putting up numbers on other teams.

Thought this was good for a discussion.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM
damacles1156

Getz is that good, he is an elite center, dominate.

Penner/Getz/Perry is a really hard line to defend.

That line is Big, highly skilled, decent speed, and responsible enough on defense.

Getz/Perry make Penner's life really easy, he doesn't have to waste energy playing 200ft.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Yeah I think it is a combo of the guys he plays with in Anaheim and the system they employ versus the Kings rigid defensive system. I'm sure his personal issues didn't help while he was here and I'm pretty sure his divorce was settled prior to the start of the season. Good for him.. he is a real likable guy.

It pains me to say it but Getzlaf is a great player. Who knows how Kopitar would perform in a more offensive system but I really am content with him being a high 60's low 70's point guy.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

I've always thought Getlaf and Perry were two incredible players. I have no problem admitting that.

However, Penner really pisses me off. The guy did NOTHING in the regular season and suddenly gave a couple ****s in the playoffs. That still irritates me.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:13 PM
damacles1156

I don't like Perry, but their is no denying that guys Skill.

He is an Elite Skilled Winger.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:19 PM
KingsFan7824

9 regular season goals in 98 games over his two somewhat full years with the Kings.

9 goals so far this year in 22 games with the Ducks.

Guys on the Kings might not score as much as they could if they were on other teams, but Penner's numbers are a little ridiculous for a guy that showed he could score in the NHL prior to being traded to LA. Even D-wight King has 16 goals in his last 102 games.

But hey, we'll always have OT in Phoenix.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
9 regular season goals in 98 games over his two somewhat full years with the Kings.

9 goals so far this year in 22 games with the Ducks.

Guys on the Kings might not score as much as they could if they were on other teams, but Penner's numbers are a little ridiculous for a guy that showed he could score in the NHL prior to being traded to LA. Even D-wight King has 16 goals in his last 102 games.

But hey, we'll always have OT in Phoenix.
Well You have too look at the Coaches too.

BB is not going to care that Penner doesn't play 200ft. He is going to continue to play the guy in scoring roles.

Penner had to earn his scoring roles in LA (Sutter). Penner is just not that type of player, never was.

Penner is not being asked to change his game in ANH, he is just allowed to play.

If he wants to take shifts off, or play lazy in his own end...BB doesn't care.

Penner is back in the perfect situation for himself.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Getz is that good, he is an elite center, dominate.

Penner/Getz/Perry is a really hard line to defend.

That line is Big, highly skilled, decent speed, and responsible enough on defense.

Getz/Perry make Penner's life really easy, he doesn't have to waste energy playing 200ft.
So, are you saying that Getz is better center than Richards? Better yet, are Getz and Perry THAT much better than Richards and Carter?

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
So, are you saying that Getz is better center than Richards? Better yet, are Getz and Perry THAT much better than Richards and Carter?
I don't think so, but someone will call me a homer.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:16 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Well You have too look at the Coaches too.

BB is not going to care that Penner doesn't play 200ft. He is going to continue to play the guy in scoring roles.

Penner had to earn his scoring roles in LA (Sutter). Penner is just not that type of player, never was.

Penner is not being asked to change his game in ANH, he is just allowed to play.

If he wants to take shifts off, or play lazy in his own end...BB doesn't care.

Penner is back in the perfect situation for himself.
Absolutely.

He clearly didn't fit on the ice in the grand scheme of things with the Kings. He had a moment or two in the playoffs, but that was it.

42 goals in 123 career games with the Ducks, an average of 28 over 82 games.

93 goals in 304 career games with the Oilers, an average of 25 over 82 games.

11 goals in 117 career games with the Kings, an average of 7.7 over 82 games.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

^^^^^^this.

Sometimes, it's just comfort, chemistry, etc. And Perry and Getzlaf are DIFFERENT players than Richards and Carter for sure, but Penner already had chemistry with them anyway.

Some Ducks fans also mentioned he's slimmed down a bit and they're impressed with his speed and tenacity. So lucky for them we morphed him into a two-way player. Damnit, Penner!

That being said, they'd better offer him one-year contracts for the rest of his career

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:15 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Penner is in better shape and playing an easier offensive system and that's that. Nothing else about it.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Offensive System + Line Chemistry = Points

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Getzlaf and Perry are tall forwards.

Getzlaf and Perry are a better combination than Richards and Carter.

The difference between Getzlaf and Perry is too big to deny that.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:22 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Chemistry.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Trolfoli

The Kings system is 100% to blame. Nolan just filled in the perfect 2nd Line LW for the Kings big and hit. Guess it's just stupid to pay someone like Penner 3-4M to use him as a 3rd-4th line grinder.

Getzlaugh is AMAZING!!: um Getzlaugh is good, but passing to Penner and using him in the offense makes Getzlaugh amasing?

Chemistry. Yeah when you play with Richards/Carter Richards will pass to Carter 90% of the time. You are just SOL if you're the 3rd guy. King has done well in that position, but I'll have to check at what point King took off and when Toffoli came up.

As too all the people shocked that Penner turned it around. Penner and Toffoli were 2 of the best players against the Hawks. As soon as Penner was involved in the offense he took off. Maybe the question why Penner's having such a rough time should have been asked. Like maybe the Kings system... Carter being a one dimensional goal scorer who could work on his passing. Was that against Van when Carter tried to pass to Richards in front of the net then apologized to Richards for the terrible pass on the bench? Now queue the people angry that I criticized Carter... He has a great shot... great skater... could use some passing drills...

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:37 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolfoli View Post
The Kings system is 100% to blame. Nolan just filled in the perfect 2nd Line LW for the Kings big and hit. Guess it's just stupid to pay someone like Penner 3-4M to use him as a 3rd-4th line grinder.

Getzlaugh is AMAZING!!: um Getzlaugh is good, but passing to Penner and using him in the offense makes Getzlaugh amasing?

Chemistry. Yeah when you play with Richards/Carter Richards will pass to Carter 90% of the time. You are just SOL if you're the 3rd guy. King has done well in that position, but I'll have to check at what point King took off and when Toffoli came up.

As too all the people shocked that Penner turned it around. Penner and Toffoli were 2 of the best players against the Hawks. As soon as Penner was involved in the offense he took off. Maybe the question why Penner's having such a rough time should have been asked. Like maybe the Kings system... Carter being a one dimensional goal scorer who could work on his passing. Was that against Van when Carter tried to pass to Richards in front of the net then apologized to Richards for the terrible pass on the bench? Now queue the people angry that I criticized Carter... He has a great shot... great skater... could use some passing drills...
They aren't going to change the Kings system. It's just the way it is and it works for the most part based on the Kings record. As far as Carter and Richards are concerned, I don't recall Penner having chemistry with really anyone on our team. And yeah, I think it is hard playing with Carter/Richards. The two of them don't even need to communicate so that leaves the LW hanging. But with the amount of goals they were scoring last year together, it was hard to change it.

That's not letting Penner off the hook either. It's not like he was a rookie like Toffoli and would've been a bit tougher to communicate with those two because of feeling intimidated. And too often he'd look like he was taking the night off. It's quite obvious the guy just didn't work in the Kings system based off his career numbers.

And lastly, Carter's passing skills are fine, they are not the greatest but they aren't the reason why his linemates didn't score that many goals. Mike has never been the guy to shoot if he knows there's a better shooter on the ice than him or another play he can make. Right now, he's constantly looking to set up Toffoli because he knows he's the best shooter. That's not a shot against Nolan or King playing with him. But Toffoli and Carter put themselves into prime positions and they have incredible shots. So the LWs have mostly been delegated to grinding the puck out of the corner on the line.

Penner just didn't work on our team. It's not any of the players fault, there's just nothing that could be done with Kings system the way it is and they aren't going to change it because a guy might have a tough time adjusting.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Trolfoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
They aren't going to change the Kings system. It's just the way it is and it works for the most part based on the Kings record. As far as Carter and Richards are concerned, I don't recall Penner having chemistry with really anyone on our team. And yeah, I think it is hard playing with Carter/Richards. The two of them don't even need to communicate so that leaves the LW hanging. But with the amount of goals they were scoring last year together, it was hard to change it.

That's not letting Penner off the hook either. It's not like he was a rookie like Toffoli and would've been a bit tougher to communicate with those two because of feeling intimidated. And too often he'd look like he was taking the night off. It's quite obvious the guy just didn't work in the Kings system based off his career numbers.

And lastly, Carter's passing skills are fine, they are not the greatest but they aren't the reason why his linemates didn't score that many goals. Mike has never been the guy to shoot if he knows there's a better shooter on the ice than him or another play he can make. Right now, he's constantly looking to set up Toffoli because he knows he's the best shooter. That's not a shot against Nolan or King playing with him. But Toffoli and Carter put themselves into prime positions and they have incredible shots. So the LWs have mostly been delegated to grinding the puck out of the corner on the line.

Penner just didn't work on our team. It's not any of the players fault, there's just nothing that could be done with Kings system the way it is and they aren't going to change it because a guy might have a tough time adjusting.
Yeah, glad Penner gets to play hockey... unfortunate it didn't work out. Wish there could be a way that DL could have gotten Penner out of the division and maybe have gotten something for him. Letting him walk to the Ducks was a terrible move.

I hate when people just say oh it's Getz/Chemistry/Penner and just write off the subject. Maybe look at the problem figure out what it is and treat the problem, not the symptoms. Probably asking for too much.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:11 PM
MsWoof

It sounds like he's lost weight and that's been the biggest difference.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Everything I hear pisses me off. So he lost weight? Why's that? Why didn't he use weight when he was on the Kings? Thank god he's gone.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Trolfoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Everything I hear pisses me off. So he lost weight? Why's that? Why didn't he use weight when he was on the Kings? Thank god he's gone.
Awww somebody needs a big cuddly bear hug from this guy.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:38 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
He did lose weight and was in very good condition, while he was with the kings. It's just that Penner seems to have better chemistry with Getz/Perry than he did with Richards/Carter. The fact that he's doing well shouldn't really come as a surprise and definitely nothing to get upset about. Because if he were here playing with scrubs like Richards/Carter, he'd continue to struggle.

Here's the write by Gann the year that we won the cup and Penner was in better shape.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2011/07/12/...oning-finally/

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Sutter pours bourbon
katabat.bandcamp*****

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. You can look at systems all you want, but the fact that he's almost scored as many points in a little over a quarter of a season as he did during his full tenure in LA tells me it's an effort issue. Even when he took that holding call on Voynov last night, he was still skating harder than I can ever remember him skating as a King. He was within half a stride of VV, that's not the Penner we saw here. It's incredible that the Kings won a cup with him as the 2nd line LW, speaks to the how good the rest of the core was/is. Good riddance.

Sutter pours bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

He's a street smart fish-out-of-water in a world he never made.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
He did lose weight and was in very good condition, while he was with the kings. It's just that Penner seems to have better chemistry with Getz/Perry than he did with Richards/Carter. The fact that he's doing well shouldn't really come as a surprise and definitely nothing to get upset about. Because if he were here playing with scrubs like Richards/Carter, he'd continue to struggle.

Here's the write by Gann the year that we won the cup and Penner was in better shape.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2011/07/12/...oning-finally/
He's clearly lighter this season, you can see it in his face.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote