HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Toughness II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2014, 10:36 PM
  #551
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Anyone who says no to adding a Neil for the playoffs proves you have zero hockey sense. I am done with this argument you have no credibility
But you're the only one who seems to be obsessed with Neil.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 10:38 PM
  #552
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Anyone who says no to adding a Neil for the playoffs proves you have zero hockey sense. I am done with this argument you have no credibility
There is no point in adding a player that way when we need SCORING AND PUCK MOVING (Mostly goal scoring, preferably sniping or something close to it to help what should be our leading scorers) . Some of the things you say are really awful jokes. You don't just add a player like that because the postseason is a cruel animal. There are much smarter moves to make than adding Neil. Again, call out everyone else but act like you're immortal on these boards when in fact, you're no better than the rest of us posters.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 10:58 PM
  #553
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Over a 7 game series, it's a battle of attrition which is a major reason teams win in the playoffs.
meh.

maybe as you get later and later.

Neil isnt impacting the game nearly as much as people think.

frankly i think Carcillo with his mouth can impact it just as much as neil can with his checks.

big deal. neither of them scored, and the Rangers cruised in this one.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:02 PM
  #554
Mint
Give me the Norris
 
Mint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
We lack a Ryan Clowe type on this team. The trade was bad for two reasons. 1) Clowe got concussed and thus is deemed ineffective for us. 2) The trade was already inflated because he was injury prone, aging, and a rental.
I have to respectfully disagree. Guys like Clowe, Lucic, Clarkson, etc are vastly overrated and often overpaid for what they bring.

The Rangers already have a natural PWF in Kreider, who has been hitting others like a truck. Callahan is one of the most physical players in the league, Dorsett and Carbomb,etc.

The Rangers already have their foundation of a PWF.

Quote:
Those two factors aside, had we had a Ryan Clowe that hadn't sustained major injuries the past 3 years, one that didn't face 2 concussions to end the season, one that didn't cost as much as he did to trade for... he would have been invaluable to this team.
Speculative at best.

Quote:
It's not the physical act of fighting that is important. It's sticking up for your team mates, making that bond closer between you and the other guys. Bigger, grittier players, who hit hard (like Chris Neil) wear out other teams during the course of the game... during the course of a playoff series. Having big guys ourselves helps offset some of that. It helps keep some of those players off the ice for 10 minutes because they're in the penalty box for fighting. It throws other teams' players off their game because they're afraid of being hit or have been hit. If you need evidence of that, Boyle was playing the hockey of his life during our playoff series a couple years back. He wasnt the same after Neil hit him.
Sounds like overrated sports/hockey cliches to me.

The best tool to wear down the other team is by outperforming and making the other team run around like goons the whole night.

Quote:
You need that in a team. Kreider doesn't grind other players out. He doesn't always finish his checks. You think he's physical because of the occasional "ooooo" hit he makes, but that's derived from his strength, not his intent. Guys like Neil add intent to their strength. Callahan hasn't been the grinder and hitter he once was. He's playing a much more offensive game, which is fine, but still doesn't fit the void we have for such a player. Girardi has more or less given up the physical aspect of his game up. Gone are big hits and fights from his vocabulary. He has a family, understandable. Staal's physicality has reduced since his earlier years. Where's the guy who would go toe to toe with a flying Ovechkin? McDonough? He's a joke in terms of physicality. The only guy with the honor of losing to Sidney Crosby in a scrum. I watched him just watch Simmonds after he intentionally ran over Hank a couple games ago. That's not toughness, that's not grit, that's not even demanding respect. Which gives us Moore, Boyle, and Carcillo. Dorsett won't play over one of them, so he's a non factor in the box. That's 1 physical line that plays 8-10 minutes a game. There's only so much they can do.
The only one I agree with you on is Staal, but he's always been a less physical player relative to his size. Other than that, wow I completely disagree with your assessment.

Girardi's given up on physical play? That's why he leads the team in hits?

Kreider on pace for nearly 200 hit season? 20-25g most likely? What more can you ask for?

Callahan slowing down? He is also on pace for 236 hits.......

This team is once again top 10 in total hits..... Far from soft. Grass is greener on the other side, I'm guessing.


Last edited by Mint: 01-18-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:02 PM
  #555
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Anyone who says no to adding a Neil for the playoffs proves you have zero hockey sense. I am done with this argument you have no credibility
lol.

okay.


__________________
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:03 PM
  #556
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
This team is hitting less as a result on the coaching, same as blocked shots.

CBC was talking about it a good deal, and had the numbers to back it up.
hits are a stupid stat anyway because its subjective, doesnt reflect the force of a hit, and tends to be inflated by teams that dont play with the puck as much as the other team.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:11 PM
  #557
Mint
Give me the Norris
 
Mint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
So the hawks were all talent no grit?
Yes Ricky, the Hawks are ridiculously soft. They were last in the league in hits and 3rd fewest fighting majors last year, yet still obliterated the opposing teams. In fact, the team that came closest to beating them were the 2nd softest team hits wise and 2nd least in fighting majors, the Detroit Red Wings.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:43 AM
  #558
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Dumbest post I've ever seen here and I've been here over 10 years..




Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
meh.

maybe as you get later and later.

Neil isnt impacting the game nearly as much as people think.

frankly i think Carcillo with his mouth can impact it just as much as neil can with his checks.

big deal. neither of them scored, and the Rangers cruised in this one.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:58 AM
  #559
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Dumbest post I've ever seen here and I've been here over 10 years..
Neil hit Dominic Moore, the Rangers retaliated and got a penalty.

He literally did nothing else the whole game.

__________________

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:33 AM
  #560
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
I didn't think I had to explain myself...but

Carcillo with his mouth has just as much impact on the game than Neil does with his body checking??

Again someone who has never played the game or picked up a hockey stick





Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Neil hit Dominic Moore, the Rangers retaliated and got a penalty.

He literally did nothing else the whole game.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  #561
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I didn't think I had to explain myself...but

Carcillo with his mouth has just as much impact on the game than Neil does with his body checking??

Again someone who has never played the game or picked up a hockey stick
That I don't believe.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:40 AM
  #562
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,371
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Guess What;78300393]Exception, not the rule. Their forecheck was ridiculous. they played less games than us as well, more scoring chances. Kings, Chitown. Their entire team is talent. With some man power too. You guys blow toughness way out of proportion. Team needs to be complete. The toughness thing here is a bad joke.




Not the exception at all. Why do you think the Rangers traded Amonte for Matteau and Noonan before the 94 playoffs? It's because Matteau and Noonan had size and were good at winning puck battles. Amonte was just a goal scorer when he was on but when he wasn't on he floated around too much. Can't float in the playoffs. Noonan and Matteau might not score nearly as much but you'd get the same consistent effort from them night after night.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
  #563
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,371
vCash: 500
The Rangers are getting more and more comfortable lately with AV's system. He's not juggling lines. The scoring lines are all stable. Stepan-Nash-Kreider. Richards-Callahan-Hagelin. Brassard-Zuccarello-Pouliot.

If the Rangers could bring in a Neil without disrupting those 3 above lines it would be okay by me. It would give the team more physicality and more edge. We could limit his minutes when we needed to. Neil skates very well and is a heavy, heavy hitter. He can be very distracting to play against-even if he doesn't fight. The Ottawa team that played us in 11-12 barely made it in and then took us to 7 games. We were the Nol 1 team in the east that year. They accomplished that by playing great defense and with physical play and anyone who doesn't remember Chris Neil's impact on that series has a very short memory. The Spezza's, Michalek's disappeared. Alfredsson wasn't that great either. They got as far as they did on grit, clogging up the neutral zone and goaltending. That is the classic way that lesser teams hang in against better teams.

As of now--the season is beginning to wind down. Do we absolutely need to add more grit? Probably not--though it wouldn't hurt if the guy is a legit player. Any combination of Boyle-Moore-Carcillo-Dorsett-Miller will be better than anything we've had for 4th line material the past few years.

IMO the Rangers biggest need if they could add one would be another defender capable of running a pwp. That's not likely to happen either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:57 AM
  #564
tbonenc*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=eco's bones;78320121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Exception, not the rule. Their forecheck was ridiculous. they played less games than us as well, more scoring chances. Kings, Chitown. Their entire team is talent. With some man power too. You guys blow toughness way out of proportion. Team needs to be complete. The toughness thing here is a bad joke.




Not the exception at all. Why do you think the Rangers traded Amonte for Matteau and Noonan before the 94 playoffs? It's because Matteau and Noonan had size and were good at winning puck battles. Amonte was just a goal scorer when he was on but when he wasn't on he floated around too much. Can't float in the playoffs. Noonan and Matteau might not score nearly as much but you'd get the same consistent effort from them night after night.

Different game being played today than yesteryear. Much more speed and talent today.

While I do think that teams need toughness, I don't think we need guys that are only here for that purpose. For instance, Neil is a tough guy and will mix it up with anyone, but he is a general liability in a hockey sense.

What I would rather see is a larger defensive group who can keep the front of the net clean. Not the easiest person to find, but a need none the less.

tbonenc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 09:11 AM
  #565
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,371
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=tbonenc;78320471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post


Different game being played today than yesteryear. Much more speed and talent today.

While I do think that teams need toughness, I don't think we need guys that are only here for that purpose. For instance, Neil is a tough guy and will mix it up with anyone, but he is a general liability in a hockey sense.

What I would rather see is a larger defensive group who can keep the front of the net clean. Not the easiest person to find, but a need none the less.
Keeping in mind that the playoff numbers of guys like Gaborik, Nash, Stepan have really lagged their regular season production. Talent without grit is not going to take you the distance in the playoffs. The Rangers have stabilized their lines at least for now--that is a good sign--means players are finding their roles but hate to say it Nash may be our top forward but he doesn't belong in the same conversation with the best forwards in the league and it's in part because he floats too much. He's either on or he's off. The Rangers are going to need to be solid throughout their lineup and size and strength in the corners and along the walls are essential to playoff type hockey. Harder to score in the playoffs than it is the regular season. You have to fight for every inch of territory.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
  #566
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I didn't think I had to explain myself...but

Carcillo with his mouth has just as much impact on the game than Neil does with his body checking??

Again someone who has never played the game or picked up a hockey stick
yeah ok.

pests have ALWAYS had huge impacts on game.

Sean Avery would get the entire opposition so focused on murdering him that they forgot about the rest of the team.

Chris Neil is a good player, but his "impact" on a game is about as much as what a yappers is.

And yeah, I do play hockey, ive got 2 to play today as a matter of fact.

oh, but thanks for sharing your amazing worldy opinion.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 03:47 PM
  #567
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
This thread has funny stuff.

Neil used to have some value when he contributed in different ways, but the current version is worth very little.

The difference between Dorsett and current Neil is miniscule, if it exists.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 04:37 PM
  #568
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
This thread has funny stuff.

Neil used to have some value when he contributed in different ways, but the current version is worth very little.

The difference between Dorsett and current Neil is miniscule, if it exists.
I can name ten teams who want Neil .. DD not so much

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:09 AM
  #569
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Chris Neil is a good player, but his "impact" on a game is about as much as what a yappers is.
His impact almost won an entire playoff series. Neil had a major effect on how competitive that series was.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  #570
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Martin,Boulton and Carkner tonight...Don't get ahead by two or more goals Detroit Rangers..

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
  #571
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Martin,Boulton and Carkner tonight...Don't get ahead by two or more goals Detroit Rangers..
Yeah, wouldn't want that. They might win the game.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
  #572
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,201
vCash: 500
I think there needs to be some sort of balance between the go get a goon and dress only Carcilllo. Like I said earlier in the thread, when Dorsett comes back, dress both he and Carcillo and that's a nice start. They both bring an edge to their game.

They still need to find, somewhere, a defenseman or top-9 forward who can at least occasionally drop the gloves ala Sauer from a few years ago. Someone who will stick up for teammates is a valuable asset.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:00 AM
  #573
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think there needs to be some sort of balance between the go get a goon and dress only Carcilllo. Like I said earlier in the thread, when Dorsett comes back, dress both he and Carcillo and that's a nice start. They both bring an edge to their game.

They still need to find, somewhere, a defenseman or top-9 forward who can at least occasionally drop the gloves ala Sauer from a few years ago. Someone who will stick up for teammates is a valuable asset.
If you drop Boyle from the lineup in order to accommodate Carcillo and Dorsett, I think you're hurting the club. Boyle can at least kill penalties really well.

One idiot being dressed is enough for me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:04 AM
  #574
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,804
vCash: 500
Awards:
I think Dorsett is the odd man out when he gets back.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:07 AM
  #575
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you drop Boyle from the lineup in order to accommodate Carcillo and Dorsett, I think you're hurting the club. Boyle can at least kill penalties really well.

One idiot being dressed is enough for me.
Dorsett was a staple on the PK as well before he was hurt. He is a good PKer. It's part of his value to a team.

I don't think Boyle is here past the deadline honestly. His value is high to other teams and his impact is minimal compared to others like Callahan and Girardi who are the other UFA's.

He is a good 4c who was pushed from the 4c spot by Moore.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.