HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

OT: Reuters: USOC plans to bid on 2024 Summer Olympics

Old
12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I don't know if Tahoe has an Olympic skiing hill, but I would think the Bay Area could be a slam dunk with the direction they are taking the Winter Olympics, Seattle if they have the surrounding mountains capable or Portland with Mt. Hood get interesting as well since they are moving away from small ski resort type places.

Chicago is a pretty natural fit for the Summer Olympics. They want to build some of that infrastructure, but seem to be waiting on this and haven't pushed through on a lot of it once the Olympic bid failed. But it would help develop the south side and update some of the transit, I would expect them to be after this bid again.

With that said I don't know that the USA should really entertain bidding on either an IOC or FIFA event until it is clear they even stand a chance, it is a waste of time an resources, especially when you often present the most realistic event and have no idea what is wrong with it.
Tahoe is a couple of hours (and there are train lines) from Bay Area.

Hosted Olympics in 1960. Hosts numerous annual Alpine skiing events. (Quick Google search results in "headline" screaming "18 World Class Alpine Ski Resorts".)

(Heck, if Reno/Tahoe don't have enough, you could spread it down to Mammoth and up to Shasta.)

So, yeah, Tahoe has the needed hills.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
Except they just had an Olympics near there, so no.
So Seattle gets disqualified because a city near them from a different country got the winter games?

superdeluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Dirty Old Man
Attendance Bashee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So Seattle gets disqualified because a city near them from a different country got the winter games?
That pretty much sums it up... but if you can hang in until the 30s (which sounds weird to say) I'd say you've got a shot then

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I don't know if Tahoe has an Olympic skiing hill, but I would think the Bay Area could be a slam dunk with the direction they are taking the Winter Olympics, Seattle if they have the surrounding mountains capable or Portland with Mt. Hood get interesting as well since they are moving away from small ski resort type places.
Well, given the fact that Squaw Valley hosted the 1960 Winter Games - I would say, yes, yes they do.

There are multiple sites that would be suitable - Squaw, Alpine, Heavenly, Kirkwood, and others

That said, I think it very unlikely that the Bay Area would host a Winter Games with the Alpine events being that far away.

Now, Tahoe or Reno, that's another story. In 2012 Tahoe and Reno were investigating a joint 2022 bid until the USOC announced it was not supporting any '22 bids - looking ahead to either '24 or '26 instead.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/...passes-on-bid/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Tahoe is a couple of hours (and there are train lines) from Bay Area.
"A couple of hours" is a bit generous. Three to three and a half hours (depending on where in the Bay Area you start from and where in Tahoe you're going) in clear weather and no traffic. On a typical ski weekend you are looking at 5-6 hrs with traffic & weather (I've had it take as long as 11 hrs). And that rail line is a single Amtrack departure/day that takes 5 1/2 hrs to get from Emeryville to Truckee (and 7 hrs to Reno).

Last edited by kdb209: 12-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.
kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Toronto was considering bidding for the Olympics at some point in the future?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
And that rail line is a single Amtrack departure/day that takes 5 1/2 hrs to get from Emeryville to Truckee (and 7 hrs to Reno).
But I would imagine they could institute more "regular" service for Olympics. Perhaps cut down the # of stops made to make it more of an "express" service. Perhaps even getting some stretches to more of a "high speed" service.

FTR, in 1910, Reno hosted a major fight (Johnson vs Jeffries). As the city was just a wee one at that time, wealthy Californians chartered trains from LA and SF, actually "staying" on them (in the train yards) as there was insufficient hotels to accommodate the tens of thousands that wanted to attend. (It was summer)

If one has creativity, things are possible.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
That pretty much sums it up... but if you can hang in until the 30s (which sounds weird to say) I'd say you've got a shot then
If Seattle were to bid, you'd be talking about 14 years after the Vancouver games. You'd also be talking about the first North American summer games in just under 3 decades. The proximity to Vancouver would have ZERO influence on the decision.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:20 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I assumed they had the hills, just didn't want to state it outright without really knowing it as a fact. Was pretty confident Mt. Hood would qualify since many of the US skiing, snowboarders train there even in the summer time. Assumed it was because they had the right gradients and courses.

Also just because an Olympics was hosted there previously doesn't mean they pass today's muster in terms of the demands.

Just have thought for a little while now with this push towards bigger cities and not necessarily carrying exactly how close the mountain is at least some are saying that is the way the future will work there are several attractive options over on the West Coast.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Toronto was considering bidding for the Olympics at some point in the future?
The COC wants Toronto to bid. The City is studying the possibility.

I'm not the sure the popular or political will is there.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I think I read somewhere that not many people were in favour of it.

Old
12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Chicago's Olympic ambitions got unceremoniously dumped when they were the first to get the boot for the 2016 games. Not anticipating that Mayor Emanuel will be nearly as active in promoting the cause as Mayor Daley was.

It really was 2016 or bust for Chicago. I would honestly be extremely surprised if the city seriously tries to bid for another Olympics anytime soon.
Agree. 2016 was Mayor Daley's big legacy play and an attempt to nab a lot of taxpayer/private developer dollars that could cover up the big budget hole he was leaving behind. Rahm doesn't seem to have any interest in it nor does the Chicago business community any more and I believe some of the 2016 proposed sites for events/Olympic housing have started going to other projects.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Boston was wanting to put in a bid next time the USOC tries.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

I'd say I'm shocked LA hosted the 1932 ones in the first place, but they were literally the only bidders. St. Louis came when the Olympics were in their infancy
That 1904 Olympics was actually awarded to Chicago but St. Louis stole the Olympics by threatening to hold sporting contests during the World's Fair that was to happen that same summer unless the IOC took the games from Chicago and gave it to them and the IOC agreed to their demands. The jerks.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The COC wants Toronto to bid. The City is studying the possibility.

I'm not the sure the popular or political will is there.
Its gaining a lot of momentum: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/03...-olympics-eyed

Although - as the article points out - some want 2028 instead. The risk with that is if the us wins 2024 ... Toronto would prolly not have a realstic shot of hosting until the 2040's. I bet Toronto bids for 2024 .. and if it loses it'll go again at 2028 and if that also fails, then look for a winter bid from somewhere in Canada in the 2030's.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
GDAWG

Dallas bid is too spread out among various cities (Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco). They also need to figure out how to host the track and field events. Jerry World? Remove 20,000 seats and put a track in the Cotton Bowl? Build from scratch? Swimming could be doable, if any existing facilities are able to host Olympic swimming (American Airlines Center, Jerry World, Dr. Pepper Arena in Frisco, SMU)

Last edited by GDAWG: 12-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
Dallas bid is too spread out among various cities (Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco). They also need to figure out how to host the track and field events. Jerry World? Remove 20,000 seats and put a track in the Cotton Bowl? Build from scratch? Swimming could be doable, if any existing facilities are able to host Olympic swimming (American Airlines Center, Jerry World, Dr. Pepper Arena in Frisco, SMU)
Austin and San Antonio could do a joint bid. The UT campus has a track field that could be used.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Austin and San Antonio could do a joint bid. The UT campus has a track field that could be used.
The UT Track stadium (Mike A. Myers Stadium) only seats 20K - I don't know if/how it could be expanded.

The problem with most college track and field stadiums is that they are too small (unless multi-purpose/shared with the football team).

Unless you have a football stadium with a cavity large enough to house a track - which is longer/wider than a football field - you either need to significantly renovate/strip a football stadium, renovate/expand a track stadium, or build a new venue.

The problem is that newer NFL stadiums (Levi's Field, et al) are designed purely as football stadiums, with seats as close to the field as possible for best views.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Was just thinking about Washington. They could replace JFK Stadium with a new one couldn't they?

Old
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

NYC should host the Olympics

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Was just thinking about Washington. They could replace JFK Stadium with a new one couldn't they?
RFK* JFK was in Philadelphia.

It'd be possible as a FedExField replacement, that stadium is a bit of a mess...but it still only opened in 1997, so I doubt they'll be jumping at the idea of building a $1 billion+ stadium without the Redskins paying for a sizable portion of it.

I don't see an Olympics going to Texas anytime soon. As it's been said, Dallas is too spread out and an Austin/San Antonio dual bid has zero chance. Houston could sneak in as another Atlanta (read: huge corporate dollars), but they run into the same issue as many others as their football stadium wouldn't work for track events.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
They're already replacing RFK with an MLS stadium.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:49 PM
BigZ65

Which city is sucker enough to put money behind a bid? A smaller big city with "ambition" is a good bet. It would be a 180 if Emanuel supported a Chicago bid that cost a lot of public money given the massive budget problems in Chicago.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:23 PM
MTLAzzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I don't want this to happen: I want Quebec City for 2026.
That would be a total disaster, we just finished paying for the Montreal Olympics.

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Tackla

If any city is preparing to host the Olympics, I'll make sure I never live there. It's a disaster for every city that hosts it, unless you're a forgotten city in a country that wants to show the world something. Then maybe there's a payoff. No American city has any business trying to get the Olympics, especially not New York who would have nothing to gain at all.

Tackla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Please, not Toronto. The province and city will be badly financially hurt by the 2015 Pan Am games as it is. Get the Olympics, and we're in real trouble. BTW, remember the transit woes in Atlanta in 1996? Well Toronto had its own transit crisis in 1996, with buses and subway trains breaking down constantly, and transit being a mess. And that was WITHOUT an Olympic Games. If we had won the 1996 bid, it would've been a disaster area.
The transit here is still pretty atrocious.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
GDAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The UT Track stadium (Mike A. Myers Stadium) only seats 20K - I don't know if/how it could be expanded.

The problem with most college track and field stadiums is that they are too small (unless multi-purpose/shared with the football team).

Unless you have a football stadium with a cavity large enough to house a track - which is longer/wider than a football field - you either need to significantly renovate/strip a football stadium, renovate/expand a track stadium, or build a new venue.

The problem is that newer NFL stadiums (Levi's Field, et al) are designed purely as football stadiums, with seats as close to the field as possible for best views.
There was one in Denton, Fouts Field, that had a capacity of 40,000 with a track around it, but it was torn down.

The one locally is The University of Texas at Arlington, but that stadium would have to add at least 30,000 seats in order to host Olympic track.

GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote