HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2013, 10:43 PM
  #1
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Peter Laviolette

Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace.

The Leafs are in free fall mode, and have drastically underachieved this season. Injuries have played a part, but the issues that plague the team are primarily systemic in nature, and the team has lacked intensity as well. Ultimately, the coaching staff bares responsibility.

If the situation doesn't improve, a coaching change is likely imminent, and Laviolette seems to be the best candidate available at this time.

What is your honest opinion of Laviolette?

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:47 PM
  #2
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 14,919
vCash: 500
yes plz...

that way we know exactly how to get 2 points everytime we play the Leafs..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
  #3
The Dream
User Registered
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 500
I like Lavi, and his system is very aggressive but on many occasions it can hang the defense out to dry. Also it seems that Toronto has a weak defense as did Philadelphia. So, I would recommend Lavi coach a team with a better defensive core to begin with like St. Louis, Nashville, or Boston. But, hey he is a fun and energetic coach, it would certainly be fun too see him coaching for Toronto and he is also a wizard with his timeouts.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:22 AM
  #4
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
If you guys got solid goaltending and an above average defense and mobile forwards, Lavi is a coach you can win championships with.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:10 AM
  #5
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace.

The Leafs are in free fall mode, and have drastically underachieved this season. Injuries have played a part, but the issues that plague the team are primarily systemic in nature, and the team has lacked intensity as well. Ultimately, the coaching staff bares responsibility.

If the situation doesn't improve, a coaching change is likely imminent, and Laviolette seems to be the best candidate available at this time.

What is your honest opinion of Laviolette?
Carlyle is a good coach, and you should be happy to have him.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:15 AM
  #6
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
The Leafs are in free fall mode, and have drastically underachieved this season. Injuries have played a part, but the issues that plague the team are primarily systemic in nature, and the team has lacked intensity as well. Ultimately, the coaching staff bares responsibility.
Yeah, right. Sitting 6th in the conference isn't even an underachievement for the Leafs, let alone a drastic one. Just what caliber of players do you think you have on the team?

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:37 AM
  #7
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 47,651
vCash: 500
I'm not sure what you expect form a new coach. The roster depth is flat out not good enough at center, I really don't know why they thought buying out Grabo would be a good idea...a coaching change isn't going to change that. Lavi is a good coach for the right team, but I'm not sure the Leafs are that team.

Edit: They're a team that's questionable defensively and gets outshot often. When Lavi succeeded in Philly, he inherited a roster chock full off good-to-great two way forwards as well as a strong D group. I don't see those traits in Toronto, and if there's anything Lavi showed in his last couple seasons in Philly, it's that nobody should be expected to evolve into that sort of player under his watch. Lavi strikes me as the kind of coach you get if your team should be absolutely ready to compete and needs a kick in the ass. If they aren't there yet, you don't want him trying to develop the roster to get them there.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-04-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:13 AM
  #8
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
lolz

I love Leafs fans. 10 games into the season they were all planning the parade, now they're acting like we did 10 games into our season

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 07:33 AM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,756
vCash: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
yes plz...

that way we know exactly how to get 2 points everytime we play the Leafs..
Spoken like someone who is truly clueless about the situation.


Lavy's track record for turning around teams is quite proven. It would take a few weeks as he puts in his system. He would turn around the Leafs as long as he is left alone, but just realize when a good thing is coming to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
lolz

I love Leafs fans. 10 games into the season they were all planning the parade, now they're acting like we did 10 games into our season
It hurts sometimes when math takes over and you didn't expect it to.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 07:55 AM
  #10
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 500
didn't ron wilson run a similar run-and-gun offensive style when he was coach of the leafs? didn't everyone say that was why they were bad?

give carlyle some more time. i think the leafs need a player upgrade before they need a coaching upgrade.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 08:21 AM
  #11
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,321
vCash: 500
You don't want Lavy at the helm unless you have the right team. Basically you need an All-Star goalie or an amazing defense. Also you need plenty of solid two way forwards. The young players like Kadri also won't get very much ice time under Lavy, kinda like JVR when he was here. On the other hand struggling vets who used to be something will get the ice time even when they don't earn it, see Briere. If you don't believe me just look up Schenn's, Couturier's and JVR's ice time when Lavy was running things.

He's also not very good against tight checking teams like the Devils, Rangers under Torts, Lighting when they used a 1-3-1 etc. Bottom line is he has a game plan and can't adjust to accommodate his players. Like I said though if you think your team fits his mold then he's a good choice otherwise, no.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
  #12
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
What is your honest opinion of Laviolette?
To answer directly: Very good coach with the right players. Has a shelf-life of 3-4 seasons max (and I'm saying this as a Lavi supporter). If Toronto's forwards are capable of playing very aggressive and are capable of hard backchecking (no lazy players) -- he could do well.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:16 AM
  #13
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
To answer directly: Very good coach with the right players. Has a shelf-life of 3-4 seasons max (and I'm saying this as a Lavi supporter). If Toronto's forwards are capable of playing very aggressive and are capable of hard backchecking (no lazy players) -- he could do well.
Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
  #14
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...
You mean Ted Nolan, the current head coach of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:59 AM
  #15
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You mean Ted Nolan, the current head coach of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres?
Yeah I mean Ted Nolan "THE INTERIM" head coach of the Sabres....it's already been mentioned they probably won't give him the full time job......

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
  #16
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 14,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...
^^^exactly^^^... Lavis "system" has been exposed and i wouldnt expect any different from any other team he coachs unless he develops a completly new system..

which i wouldnt hold a candle into the wind for expecting

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
  #17
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 2425
I like to think of Lavi as similar but the opposite(if that makes any sense) as Ken Hitchcock.

They're opposite in that Hitchcock makes his team play tight team defense and score when the other team makes mistakes. Lavi like to go full tilt on offense and the forcheck and just tries to overwhelm the opponent with offense, kind of going by the motto "the best defense is a good offense".

They're very similar because they both like playing proven vets and they demand a ton from every guy on the team and they aren't afraid to ruffle some feathers. Because of that, they have a window of opportunity to work with until the guys start tuning them out. Both have the ability to take over a bad team and turn them into championship quality.

I for one, would hate to see Lavi turn up in Toronto, just because I like to seem them fail.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
  #18
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,712
vCash: 500
Laviolette needs strong two way forwards and defensemen who can make strong quick decisions and are great passers in his system to succeed. Not really sure but it doesn't look like the Leafs fit that.

I'm also not really seeing how the Leafs are underachieving at all. They are a decent but not great team.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:15 AM
  #19
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Lavy is a good coach, but the players after a few seasons under him just seem to not take him serious anymore. In his system everyone has to play within the system or it just won't work. You need good defensive forwards and good offensive forwards with speed.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  #20
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 500
Laviolette is very capable of turning a team around and running it well, but his biggest problem is that he tends to have short shelf-lives. He's a coach that isn't very flexible with how he runs his team or system which is typical of a lot of coaches, but with Laviolette he gets old fast and he runs a system that isn't very flexible when it's not working. If I had to describe players that would fit him I guess two-way forwards with goal scoring prowess and D capable of facilitating a breakout well works best.

I don't know how good or bad Carlyle is, but it's one thing if a coach is ruining a team it's another completely to have a team that isn't capable of being a top team in the first place. This is something I apply to the Flyers too because although I know Berube is a flawed coach I know he's not outright detrimental at the moment and I also know no coach is going to turn this team into a top team.

With Toronto they have talent spread out around the lineup with no general position standing out as especially weak between Forward, D, and G. Their Center depth and talent is atrocious though to where it's likely the worst in the league and although the lineup is very well balanced it just doesn't seem to match up to the current top teams in the league. If I were a Leafs fan, unless Carlyle is flat-out harming the team in some way all concerns about him would be secondary to finally getting some Center talent and pushing the team as a whole over the top.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
  #21
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Laviolette is very capable of turning a team around and running it well, but his biggest problem is that he tends to have short shelf-lives. He's a coach that isn't very flexible with how he runs his team or system which is typical of a lot of coaches, but with Laviolette he gets old fast and he runs a system that isn't very flexible when it's not working. If I had to describe players that would fit him I guess two-way forwards with goal scoring prowess and D capable of facilitating a breakout well works best.

I don't know how good or bad Carlyle is, but it's one thing if a coach is ruining a team it's another completely to have a team that isn't capable of being a top team in the first place. This is something I apply to the Flyers too because although I know Berube is a flawed coach I know he's not outright detrimental at the moment and I also know no coach is going to turn this team into a top team.

With Toronto they have talent spread out around the lineup with no general position standing out as especially weak between Forward, D, and G. Their Center depth and talent is atrocious though to where it's likely the worst in the league and although the lineup is very well balanced it just doesn't seem to match up to the current top teams in the league. If I were a Leafs fan, unless Carlyle is flat-out harming the team in some way all concerns about him would be secondary to finally getting some Center talent and pushing the team as a whole over the top.
Forgot to mention this, but as far as Laviolette goes I wouldn't recommend that as the Leafs aren't likely to be able to win it all. Laviolette's ideal situation is being hired to push a contender ready for a Cup to that Cup win, assuming Laviolette's time in the NHL hasn't run it's course.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  #22
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm
 
Legion of Gloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Titicaca
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 27989
It's a moot point as Carlyle is not going to be fired

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM
  #23
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Meh..I think Lavi's shelf life in the NHL has almost expired altogether. He's much too rigid and too many things have to be in place for him to succeed anymore. I think maybe he gets one more stint and then he'll become Ted Nolan...
Ted Nolan has a short shelf life because he's an ***hole. Also, Laviolette has actually won a cup and had more than one good season.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 07:50 PM
  #24
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,756
vCash: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Laviolette needs strong two way forwards and defensemen who can make strong quick decisions and are great passers in his system to succeed. Not really sure but it doesn't look like the Leafs fit that.

I'm also not really seeing how the Leafs are underachieving at all. They are a decent but not great team.
They overachieved last year, and it continued over into this season (despite from roflcopter personnel decisions) and things going sideways again is becoming another kick in the teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
^^^exactly^^^... Lavis "system" has been exposed and i wouldnt expect any different from any other team he coachs unless he develops a completly new system..

which i wouldnt hold a candle into the wind for expecting
Your assumption is in direct opposition to established evidence.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  #25
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
I think Laviolette would fit very well with the Leafs. They have some good puck movers on D and fast enough forwards to play his system well. Carlyle doesn't impress me with his tough guy act - more of the same Brian Burke crap that has gotten the Leafs nowhere in a very long time.

If the league has passed anyone by it's Carlyle, not Laviolette. And the players in Toronto are a lot more like the 06 Hurricanes than the 07 Ducks - but not a whole lot like either of them.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.