HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's gonna be 2 million we don't have when Callahan holds this team hostage for close to 6.

Also I was hoping this contract would be a turning point where the Rangers would shift in philosophy. This massive extension signals that they're just gonna keep throwing Lundqvist up against the wall until it sticks. Hank's great but it doesn't work.
a shift in philosophy away from keeping the player that will likely go down as the organizations greatest all time player? u pay elite player elite money. all the teams do. we made a habit of playing above avg players elite money. thats the philosophy u get away from if callahan is demanding 6m.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Sure would've been nice if Hank took a hometown discount since, you know, he hasn't won the cup yet.

Silly me though, how would he have been able to survive on only $7M a year for then next 7 years?

Old
12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers need an overhaul but it doesn't start in net. Lundqvist was not taking a pay cut.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:51 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Sure would've been nice if Hank took a hometown discount since, you know, he hasn't won the cup yet.

Silly me though, how would he have been able to survive on only $7M a year for then next 7 years?

its very easy to take a paycut when ur not the one receiving the money...

Old
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

What goalie are we going to sign for ~6.5M? Or are we trading for him? If so with what asset(s)?

What player(s) are we getting in return for trading Hank, a rental, who will command big bucks to resign as a UFA? Or are we letting him walk and gain nothing lol?

What player(s) are we signing with the extra ~2M to offset the increase in GA that said 6.5M goalie will allow?

Old
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Hank at $8.5M and no Callahan > Hank at $7.5M and Callahan at $6M. All day every day.

I'm hoping this forces the team to let go of Callahan, let another team overpay him.
There is a very good argument to be made that $8.5 mil is a pretty significant overpayment for Hank, whether the cap is going up or not. And I think there is also something to be said of the concern over a team having that much cap space wrapped up in one player.

Quick, who has similar #s, has arguably performed better and more consistently than Hank in the playoffs, has won a Stanley Cup, and is a number of years younger than Hank will have a cap hit almost $3 million less than Hank for the duration of his contract. Regardless of who you think is the better goalie (I'm not making an argument either way), there is no way that there is a $3 million difference between the two.

Old
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Yeah I gotta say I watch Callahan play, and I LOVE the guy, but every game I don't want him resigned more and more.

ESPECIALLY at the godawful price tag of $6 mill
Paying $6 mill for Callahan is like paying $11 mill for Lundqvist.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor King Schultz View Post
Paying $6 mill for Callahan is like paying $11 mill for Lundqvist.
****, I think Cally's overpaid now honestly. I can't stomach him getting a pay increase.

12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
There is a very good argument to be made that $8.5 mil is a pretty significant overpayment for Hank, whether the cap is going up or not. And I think there is also something to be said of the concern over a team having that much cap space wrapped up in one player.

Quick, who has similar #s, has arguably performed better and more consistently than Hank in the playoffs, has won a Stanley Cup, and is a number of years younger than Hank will be paid almost $3 million less than Hank for the duration of his contract. Regardless of who you think is the better goalie (I'm not making an argument either way), there is no way that there is a $3 million difference between the two.
Quick's contract is a smokescreen, his was signed when back loaded dummy contracts were still allowed. Quick makes $7M in salary straight across for the first 7 years of his deal.

Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:

Quick, who has similar #s, has arguably performed better and more consistently than Hank in the playoffs, has won a Stanley Cup, and is a number of years younger than Hank will have a cap hit almost $3 million less than Hank for the duration of his contract. Regardless of who you think is the better goalie (I'm not making an argument either way), there is no way that there is a $3 million difference between the two.
I think the difference is that Lundqvist is more responsible for getting you into the playoffs in the first place. Quick can carry his team to the finals once he is there though.

Old
CheeseTortorella

As much as it kind of hurts to say this, I'm perfectly okay with Callahan walking if he doesn't get the money that he wants.

Lundqvist is a much more elite player.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:

quick was a RFA and signed one of those retirement contracts under the old cba. how are these 2 deals remotely comparable?

Old
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseTortorella View Post
As much as it kind of hurts to say this, I'm perfectly okay with Callahan walking if he doesn't get the money that he wants.

Lundqvist is a much more elite player.
Callahan isn't even a good captain.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Unpredictable1

I really can't believe all the people bashing this signing, pretty much the face of our organization, elite and most consistent goalie for almost a decade.

So many are in other Ranger bashing threads to say that without Lundqvist, we're a lottery pick team.

You guys are something else.

So great to see Hank signed for the duration. I want him to retire a Ranger.

Old
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Quote:
Sather has not proven that he could put together a better team given the money to do so. I agree that Lundqvist is asking for a lot of money, but its because I don't believe in Sather that I don't mind this over payment. I'd rather keep Lundqvist than Sather signing another aging Brad Richards type player.
I agree with that but this is not a young player, the contract will start when he is 32. He couldn't have given them a discount for the years where he is going to be 37, 38 39 years old?

Old
12-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Callahan isn't even a good captain.

Since we gsve him that letter he's trying to be Nik Zherdev instead of being the Ryan Callahan that earned it in the first place. Him scoring in the crease the other night was refreshing though, I gotta say.

Click here for Brassard Party
Old
12-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
What goalie are we going to sign for ~6.5M?
I'm not saying that signing Hank was a bad move; absent starting some sort of rebuild, it was going to happen all along and was pretty much their only move. The only question was for how much and how long.

That said, Jonathan Quick is on a contract with a cap hit significantly less than $6.5 mil for the next 10 years. Obviously not an option for the Rangers now, so its not really an answer to your question. Just pointing out that there is at least one elite goaltender on a contract worth less than the $$ you mention here.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:
I think the difference is that Lundqvist is more responsible for getting you into the playoffs in the first place. Quick can carry his team to the finals once he is there though.
Quick got 2.84 GPG from the team in front of him, much, much higher than Hank has had in the past 5 years.

Hank had some good goal support in 2006-2007, but the defense in front of him was pretty terrible. LA's blueline is one of the best in the league, and most of their forwards are excellent defensively.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
I agree with that but this is not a young player, the contract will start when he is 32. He couldn't have given them a discount for the years where he is going to be 37, 38 39 years old?
Lundqvist likes his money. He must have decided how much money it took to make up for the fact he may never win a championship here.

Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who out there that is a remotely good team would be giving Hank that?

Hank would have to chose between going to a **** team for high pay or going to a playoff team for lower pay. I don't think any contender would be giving him a dime over what we paid.

We are a crappy, non-playoff team without Hank. If, say, the Islanders signed him, they would be as good as we are. So would most non-playoff teams.

Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
I'm not saying that signing Hank was a bad move; absent starting some sort of rebuild, it was going to happen all along and was pretty much their only move. The only question was for how much and how long.

That said, Jonathan Quick is on a contract with a cap hit significantly less than $6.5 mil for the next 10 years. Obviously not an option for the Rangers now, so its not really an answer to your question. Just pointing out that there is at least one elite goaltender on a contract worth less than the $$ you mention here.
See the above explanation for Quick... RFA contract signed prior to the last lock-out. Not comparable. Not close.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I really can't believe all the people bashing this signing, pretty much the face of our organization, elite and most consistent goalie for almost a decade.

So many are in other Ranger bashing threads to say that without Lundqvist, we're a lottery pick team.

You guys are something else.

So great to see Hank signed for the duration. I want him to retire a Ranger.
Sorry I was thinking about the name on the front of the jersey

What are they with him? If they are a lottery team without him how do they ever win a championship with just him and a lottery team?

Old
12-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:
After a lot of PR stuff, Vigneault says what everyone knows to be true: "I think as you can tell today this was a relief for Hank."
https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/sta...20221103943680

Old
Bullseyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's gonna be 2 million we don't have when Callahan holds this team hostage for close to 6.

Also I was hoping this contract would be a turning point where the Rangers would shift in philosophy. This massive extension signals that they're just gonna keep throwing Lundqvist up against the wall until it sticks. Hank's great but it doesn't work.
Callahan shouldn't get anywhere close to 6 million a year. He's not that good.

Honestly, I hope they let him walk. He's not that good of a player.

Old
Bob Yakupov
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
its very easy to take a paycut when ur not the one receiving the money...
Well said.

I'm happy we re-signed the man. He got pretty much what many of us expected he'd get and I'm fine with that. Best money for the best goalie. Easy.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Closed Thread