HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I agree with everything here.

The no hometown discount thing really irks me (especially after I think we paid him high on his last contract). If he's going to be the Crosby of goalies, I want elite play every game.
Right, because Sidney Crosby has been a factor in EVERY SINGLE ONE of his 500 games.

Your expectations are outlandish.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Awesome news. Glad he will be a career Ranger. I wonder if this means Lundqvist believes this team is championship capable or not in the next 7 years, because it seemed like winning one was really important to him. I'm just a little surprised considering how pissed he has been lately when losing. He knows his team can't score goals right now.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sure it is. I expect a bit of loyalty from Hank at this point. We are paying him market value. Zero hometown discount.

With that said, it's all moot if we win a Cup. However, like Hattrick said, he better be the Crosby of goalies with this contract, now. Elite game in, game out. No falloff in the playoffs. There's no excuse at this point if he's going to be paid 8.5M.
This I agree with.

He got his huge contract, he better live up to it now. Obviously I don't expect him to be perfect every game, but now it's more than fair to see his Vezina season play a little more frequently.

12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Noheart II

You would think players/ GMs would have learned from Luongo.

Great goalies with gross contracts are toxic assets.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:21 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Right, because Sidney Crosby has been a factor in EVERY SINGLE ONE of his 500 games.

Your expectations are outlandish.
My expectations, for a player being paid as a superstar to play as a superstar, are "outlandish?" Please explain the logic behind that to me.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 1217
This is a terrible contract if it is really 8.5M per for 8 years. They have 9 players signed for next year, 8 if they buy out Richards. Depending on how much the cap goes up, and what they do with Richards they'd have like 32-38M to resign or replace everyone else.

Terrible

Old
12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
And whats the answer to the bolded? MORE MONEY!

You get one of the best Rangers players ever for 7 more years, AND hopefully a mentality that leads the team away from throwing money at question marks.
I'm not sure what your point is here. They have to field a team which means they are going to have to pay someone to play in the vacancy left by Richards or anyone else they don't resign. So unless you are aware of 1c or 2c talent down in Hartford that can put up points the Rangers are again going to have to find that help from Free agents.

And 1c and 2c dont come cheap. Add to that the possibility of having to again completely retool the lineup and that the availability of 1c and 2c talent is always LOW. we are looking at the same issues for years to come. If Richards gets bought out which seems like a sure thing but with Sather you never know, Sather is just going to throw a big contract at another UFA to plug the whole left by Richards.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTruth View Post
For what?
Same thing Greschner is there for. Career service of the highest order.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
My expectations, for a player being paid as a superstar to play as a superstar, are "outlandish?" Please explain the logic behind that to me.
Players go through slumps, even the might Sidney Crosby. So to expect Lundqvist to be lights out every single game is outlandish.

Would you deny that Lundqvist has been the best goalie of the past 8 years like Crosby has been the best position player?

Old
Lundsanity30

he gets a 1M raise and so many Ranger fans flip out saying its gonna kill the cap.. so we cant re sign benoit pouilot?

Old
12-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
This is a terrible contract if it is really 8.5M per for 8 years. They have 9 players signed for next year, 8 if they buy out Richards. Depending on how much the cap goes up, and what they do with Richards they'd have like 32-38M to resign or replace everyone else.

Terrible
Totally agree. Love the king, have 2 jerseys. But this is 500k a year too much. I would have expected this much on a 4-5 year deal, not 7-8 years. Hoping this is wrong until it's confirmed of course.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:25 AM
pld459666

Overpayment of approx. 750k to 1 million per season.

very disappointed if this is the "hometown discount"

going to regret this contract in 2 years.

I regret it already.

unfortunate.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
egelband

glad to hear the rangers locked-up a top-three goalie. good for the team and good for p-r. nice to see a player go start-to-finish with one team. and it's one position to not worry about. he is now, officially, a home-grown 'institution'. very good. also hope they get callahan locked-up. the guy bleeds ranger blue, like henrik.

nice job, glen.

Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
he gets a 1M raise and so many Ranger fans flip out saying its gonna kill the cap.. so we cant re sign benoit pouilot?
1 million?

6.875 to 8.5 is closer to 2 million

Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Spending over 10% of the cap (even if it goes to $80M in a couple years) on a goalie seems absurd to me. Love Hank, but he's not $1M better than Rask at this point. Complete speculation, but I think Hank and his agent played the "lack of contract is driving down his level of play" card and the Rangers caved.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
I'm not sure what your point is here. They have to field a team which means they are going to have to pay someone to play in the vacancy left by Richards or anyone else they don't resign. So unless you are aware of 1c or 2c talent down in Hartford that can put up points the Rangers are again going to have to find that help from Free agents.

And 1c and 2c dont come cheap. Add to that the possibility of having to again completely retool the lineup and that the availability of 1c and 2c talent is always LOW. we are looking at the same issues for years to come. If Richards gets bought out which seems like a sure thing but with Sather you never know, Sather is just going to throw a big contract at another UFA to plug the whole left by Richards.
Yup, thats it. Just "replace them." Fit a team concept? Who cares?! Throw a dart at the available free agents and pay them.

Old
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Players go through slumps, even the might Sidney Crosby. So to expect Lundqvist to be lights out every single game is outlandish.

Would you deny that Lundqvist has been the best goalie of the past 8 years like Crosby has been the best position player?
I said that I want our elite player to play elite game in, game out. I have no idea how that is outlandish.

And I wouldn't deny any of that.

However, Crosby has been much more consistent than Lundqvist has. So if they are going to be paid roughly equal, I want to see Lundqvist play like a superstar just about every game. I'll give the guy a pass now and then just like Crosby has a bad game or two (maybe one or two out of every 30 or so).

You've yet to explain how anything I have said is outlandish.

Old
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
i can only hope

please drop pyatt and pouliot. bring back miller and a tough 'team' guy from the minors.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Daishi

This makes it very hard for Rangers to win a cup in the next 8 years. Lundqvist hasn't delivered in the playoffs (ever) and his play will only continue to decline.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:29 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Spending over 10% of the cap (even if it goes to $80M in a couple years) on a goalie seems absurd to me. Love Hank, but he's not $1M better than Rask at this point. Complete speculation, but I think Hank and his agent played the "lack of contract is driving down his level of play" card and the Rangers caved.
Some of the guys he let in early in the year were so ****** that perhaps he was playing it up even on the ice.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Mrpuck

And not to derail the thread, but as much as I loathe Brodeur. The guy was the best if not one of the best for large portion of his prime and gave his team a nice discount which allowed them to stay competitive for a long time. Guess it was wishful thinking for thinking Lundqvist would do something similar. Just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear when there is an offensive upgrade we could really use that becomes an option and we're too short to make a solid offer.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Yea and he even bribed Cam Talbot $20,000 the other night to let in 2 weak goals.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor King Schultz View Post
Yea and he even bribed Cam Talbot $20,000 the other night to let in 2 weak goals.
That's why he needs the 8.5M.

****in' Hank and his bribes.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I also think the Rangers not looking like a legit contender may have thrown any hope of a hometown discount out the door. Plus made management worry that he might actually walk.

I think it would have been prudent to see how he performs away from the past rock solid defensive structure for a full season. But that was kind of impossible.

12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The issue was money. It was term. The Rangers had no problem with the money. Rangers offered six. Looks like Henrik wanted 8. 7 is the compromise. The cap will be $80M in 3-4 years.

Closed Thread