HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Our window is starting now.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  #26
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,405
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutineSp00nZ View Post
True, but nobody knows if Melnyk is going to refuse to spend as long as he is the owner. Perhaps his plan has been to spend less while they're preparing the team to make a run at some point in the future.

It's conjecture, but so is declaring the opposite.

My point is that nobody knows for sure, one way or the other.
I should have said "as long as he continues to be cheap".

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  #27
dingbatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country:
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Interesting chart, if anyone hasn't seen it.

http://hockeyimpact.darkhorseanalytics.com/

dingbatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
  #28
Quo
Moderator
storms in my knees
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Phoenix made the Western Conference Finals two years ago. What's the size of their payroll exactly? No that much more than ours.
Back then? Probably much lower than ours.

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
  #29
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
John Shannon just said on Tim and Sid that it looks like Ottawa will be trying to shed salary. If this is our window it's a 70 year old window with a rotten sash and has been smashed to ****.
I'm all for this if it sheds dead weight.

PlayerSalary
Milan Michalek6,000,000
Bobby Ryan5,562,500
Erik Karlsson5,500,000
Jason Spezza5,000,000
Craig Anderson3,500,000
Chris Phillips3,250,000
Marc Methot3,250,000
Clarke MacArthur3,250,000
Kyle Turris2,500,000
Chris Neil2,100,000
Jared Cowen1,500,000
Zack Smith1,500,000
Erik Condra1,200,000
Patrick Wiercioch1,100,000
Colin Greening950,000
Mika Zibanejad925,000
Cory Conacher925,000
Joe Corvo900,000
Robin Lehner810,000
Mike Hoffman660,000
Matt Kassian600,000
Eric Gryba600,000

Some of the guys not contributing are are the top of the list. Michalek and Neil I'm looking at you. Anderson, whether you think he's a #1 or not, is not better than Lehner, so his 3.5 is wasted. If Spezza and Phillips can get nice returns i would them deal them as well. And of course Greening, before his next contract kicks in.

If some of these guys were moved, the team would be just as good and Eugene would save a ton of cash.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
  #30
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
What i find most unbelievable of the people commenting in this thread about Melnyk's "budget problems" is that you all fail to realize that this team on paper is better then the teams we had the last two years.

If our team is better on paper why are you all ready to blow it up? Regardless of this what is the big problem with staying at the same cap level? If we are an improved team on paper at this current salary level is it so ridiculous that we just stay there and make some lateral money-in money-out moves?

What some of you fail to realize is that maybe there is no other option at owner...We all expect that some other guy will come save the franchise (if it ever comes to that) but the reality is that the team could very well fold.

I suggest you all relax, take a moment to think about what Melnyk has already done for the franchise and think about how awesome it will be trying to watch Seattle Senators games at 10PM every night.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:25 PM
  #31
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Phoenix made the Western Conference Finals two years ago. What's the size of their payroll exactly? No that much more than ours.
Sure, but that doesn't happen often.

How many perennial contenders are there that don't spend close to the cap?

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
  #32
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
What i find most unbelievable of the people commenting in this thread about Melnyk's "budget problems" is that you all fail to realize that this team on paper is better then the teams we had the last two years.

If our team is better on paper why are you all ready to blow it up? Regardless of this what is the big problem with staying at the same cap level? If we are an improved team on paper at this current salary level is it so ridiculous that we just stay there and make some lateral money-in money-out moves?

What some of you fail to realize is that maybe there is no other option at owner...We all expect that some other guy will come save the franchise (if it ever comes to that) but the reality is that the team could very well fold.

I suggest you all relax, take a moment to think about what Melnyk has already done for the franchise and think about how awesome it will be trying to watch Seattle Senators games at 10PM every night.
On paper, Spezza is not close to the player he was. Neither is Michalek. That's a whole top line, plus amazing contributions from Alfredsson and Gonchar, just gone, down the drain. The team is not better on paper. Hence, continue the rebuild.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
  #33
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,405
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
What i find most unbelievable of the people commenting in this thread about Melnyk's "budget problems" is that you all fail to realize that this team on paper is better then the teams we had the last two years.
We're talking about winning the Stanley Cup. Not being an 8th seed.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:15 PM
  #34
the doctor
Registered User
 
the doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Teams should never spend for spending sake, it hasn't worked for 40 years. You gather a group (as large as you can) of young prospects to develop a good core. Once you get an idea that the young core is getting good (not 28 games), then you look to add pieces through trade or UFA.

By this time, if the youngsters are good the team will get expensive automatically and you hope they do because it means they are worth spending on. The Sens aren't at this stage yet but they are getting closer.

Why is this concept impossible to understand? It also means that if you assemble a large enough group of good young players that you use some of them to get other parts.


Last edited by Qward: 12-04-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Mod Edit: cleaned up
the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
  #35
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Teams should never spend for spending sake, it hasn't worked for 40 years. You gather a group (as large as you can) of young prospects to develop a good core. Once you get an idea that the young core is getting good (not 28 games), then you look to add pieces through trade or ufa.

By this time, if the youngsters are good the team will get expensive automatically and you hope they do because it means they are worth spending on. The sens aren't at this stage yet but they are getting closer.

Why is this concept impossible to understand? It also means that if you assemble a large enough group of good young players that you use some of them to get other parts.
love it.


Last edited by Qward: 12-04-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
  #36
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,405
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Teams should never spend for spending sake, it hasn't worked for 40 years. You gather a group (as large as you can) of young prospects to develop a good core. Once you get an idea that the young core is getting good (not 28 games), then you look to add pieces through trade or UFA.

By this time, if the youngsters are good the team will get expensive automatically and you hope they do because it means they are worth spending on. The Sens aren't at this stage yet but they are getting closer.

Why is this concept impossible to understand? It also means that if you assemble a large enough group of good young players that you use some of them to get other parts.
Alfie was the core and the most important player in Sens history. He wasn't re-signed because Melnyk didn't have the money for him. Not because Murray was avoiding spending for the sake of spending.


Last edited by Qward: 12-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:27 PM
  #37
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Teams should never spend for spending sake, it hasn't worked for 40 years. You gather a group (as large as you can) of young prospects to develop a good core. Once you get an idea that the young core is getting good (not 28 games), then you look to add pieces through trade or UFA.

By this time, if the youngsters are good the team will get expensive automatically and you hope they do because it means they are worth spending on. The Sens aren't at this stage yet but they are getting closer.

Why is this concept impossible to understand? It also means that if you assemble a large enough group of good young players that you use some of them to get other parts.

We don't want the team to spend for the sake of spending. We want them to spend money on players that fill needs. Unfortunately if you say that here, you'll get a response like "Yeah like Clarkson LOL".

We already have a decent core. Spezza isn't getting any younger and we just gave up a big part of our future for a legit #1 winger in Ryan, who might not even re-sign. It seems like a good time to fill in the missing pieces to me.

You can call it a rebuild if you want, but we have a pretty decent core and it'll be a waste if we don't take advantage of it.


Last edited by Qward: 12-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
  #38
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Alfie was the core and the most important player in Sens history. He wasn't re-signed because Melnyk didn't have the money for him. Not because Murray was avoiding spending for the sake of spending.
Really? Do you have proof of this? I find it hilarious that people completely refuse to believe that Alfie just wanted to leave. I know, I know it's hard to deal with rejection.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  #39
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Really? Do you have proof of this? I find it hilarious that people completely refuse to believe that Alfie just wanted to leave. I know, I know it's hard to deal with rejection.
Yes

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  #40
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post

We don't want the team to spend for the sake of spending. We want them to spend money on players that fill needs. Unfortunately if you say that here, you'll get a response like "Yeah like Clarkson LOL".

We already have a decent core. Spezza isn't getting any younger and we just gave up a big part of our future for a legit #1 winger in Ryan, who might not even re-sign. It seems like a good time to fill in the missing pieces to me.

You can call it a rebuild if you want, but we have a pretty decent core and it'll be a waste if we don't take advantage of it.
Why is everyone so paranoid about re-signing Ryan, I mean what is the basis for this besides some random poster on here saying Ryan might not re-sign and everyone jumping on the bandwagon. The ducks failed to make the playoffs twice and constantly had his name in trade rumors and yet he stayed quiet and played his game what makes you think that will change in a city that has already proven to be a better fit for him?


Last edited by Qward: 12-04-2013 at 08:24 PM.
GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  #41
Avengers*
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
invisible window i would say

Avengers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
  #42
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Why is everyone so paranoid about re-signing Ryan, I mean what is the basis for this besides some random poster on here saying Ryan might not re-sign and everyone jumping on the bandwagon. The ducks failed to make the playoffs twice and constantly had his name in trade rumors and yet he stayed quiet and played his game what makes you think that will change in a city that has already proven to be a better fit for him?
Unfortunately a lot of it will have to do with things out of the teams control. Does he and the girlfriend like the city, the teammates, the yoga instructor, the the girl that watches there dog. You would be surprised at the things taken into consideration. Winning is key, but if they are happy away from the rink is VERY important as well.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
  #43
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Why is everyone so paranoid about re-signing Ryan, I mean what is the basis for this besides some random poster on here saying Ryan might not re-sign and everyone jumping on the bandwagon. The ducks failed to make the playoffs twice and constantly had his name in trade rumors and yet he stayed quiet and played his game what makes you think that will change in a city that has already proven to be a better fit for him?
Umm because he's a UFA in 2014. I didn't say he will or will not re-sign. He might re-sign, he might not. Murray traded for a guy who's a UFA in a couple years, so I assume he had the intention of contending soon.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  #44
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
Umm because he's a UFA in 2014. I didn't say he will or will not re-sign. He might re-sign, he might not. Murray traded for a guy who's a UFA in a couple years, so I assume he had the intention of contending soon.
When Alfie left I think they needed some reason for the fans to buy tickets. When you get a chance to acquire Bobby Ryan you just do it.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  #45
SensBruins4Ever
Registered User
 
SensBruins4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,694
vCash: 5640
Why so much negativity in this thread?

Get positive people. Do it for the sake of this baby sheep.

SensBruins4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
  #46
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,405
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Really? Do you have proof of this? I find it hilarious that people completely refuse to believe that Alfie just wanted to leave. I know, I know it's hard to deal with rejection.
Just my opinion based from what ive read and interviews ive heard.

"I find it hilarious that people completely refuse to believe that Alfie just wanted to leave." Ironically, this goes both ways.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
  #47
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Just my opinion based from what ive read and interviews ive heard.

"I find it hilarious that people completely refuse to believe that Alfie just wanted to leave." Ironically, this goes both ways.
Sure it does. So does the whole what should Alfie's contractual worth be. You probably are ok with paying him 5-6 million $ to a 40 year old 2nd line winger because of what he means to the community, team and fans. I am not ok with this. Agree to disagree

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:01 PM
  #48
dingbatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country:
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Sure it does. So does the whole what should Alfie's contractual worth be. You probably are ok with paying him 5-6 million $ to a 40 year old 2nd line winger because of what he means to the community, team and fans. I am not ok with this. Agree to disagree
Well, he has put up 21 points in 23 games so far this year.

dingbatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  #49
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,405
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
Sure it does. So does the whole what should Alfie's contractual worth be. You probably are ok with paying him 5-6 million $ to a 40 year old 2nd line winger because of what he means to the community, team and fans. I am not ok with this. Agree to disagree
For sure. Alfredsson brings a lot more than points.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  #50
TheNewEra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 306
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbatz View Post
Well, he has put up 21 points in 23 games so far this year.
he has also been playing datsyuk and zetterberg on the pp and had some even strength playing time with them earlier in the season. we dont have anyone in terms of forwards that match their offensive skills, so it does make it easier to produce points

TheNewEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.