HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our window is starting now.

Old
12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
dingbatz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewEra View Post
he has also been playing datsyuk and zetterberg on the pp and had some even strength playing time with them earlier in the season. we dont have anyone in terms of forwards that match their offensive skills, so it does make it easier to produce points
Spezza and Karlsson are no slouches either. Anyway, it's in the past.

dingbatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I feel I am just repeating myself now,

EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION.
Just because it differs from yours, it does not mean you get to put them down, mock them, etc. If someone likes posting here a lot, more power to them. That does not mean that when the people that post once a month post something it carries more impact.

I cleaned up a lot of crap today and I am done with it. If it happens again, I will shut down the thread and issue warnings and infractions. You find it frustrating when someone posts and idea or thought that you do not agree with, wait till you see how upset you get when you cannot reply to the post because your privileges have been removed.

TL;DR Show each other respect or you get hit with the ban hammer.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
We definitely have the most spoiled fans in the league. Making the playoffs for over a decade before missing the post seaosn once, making a run to the finals, making the second round last year against massive odds....and still no sellouts.

There are fans in 20 NHL markets right now that would love our playoff record...and fans in 29 other cities who would love guys like Karlsson, Ryan, Spezza and Turris on their teams.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:09 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
We definitely have the most spoiled fans in the league.
This "spoiled fans" argument is getting tired. As somehow we should settle for an inferior product after such a good run last year. This is a step back and fans can see it.

I have no problem with fans not feeling as enthusiastic this year as last year when the owner has set a cap 14 million under the limit.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7328

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtRundle View Post
This "spoiled fans" argument is getting tired. As somehow we should settle for an inferior product after such a good run last year. This is a step back and fans can see it.

I have no problem with fans not feeling as enthusiastic this year as last year when the owner has set a cap 14 million under the limit.

Success usually doesn't occur in a straight line. There's bound to be bumps in the road.

There's a big difference between being disappointed in a fallback season, and simply giving up on the team and only coming back when they're a contender.

This team is still on the right track. We're giving the kids some good icetime and gaining valuable experience. Management isn't panicking (*knock on wood*) and making bad trades at a moment of weakness. And, we're saving a bit of money on the payroll and giving ourselves some wiggle room for when we will need it in a year or two.

Things are getting better, and the team is on the right track.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:

My view is that this is sport, some season's you win, sometimes you lose. Management tries to make the team better year to year, and sometimes you have start again, sometimes you keep at it.

Point is there are ups and downs, but it should never be questioned is whether everyone has the desire to be better. It just doesn't always happen.

As a fan you have to learn to deal.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post

As a fan you have to learn to deal.
True.

I just don't get when posters get upset that we hold the Sens to a higher standard. Isn't that a good thing?

Old
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
Quote:
True.

I just don't get when posters get upset that we hold the Sens to a higher standard. Isn't that a good thing?
No. We should accept mediocrity.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
There are fans in 20 NHL markets right now that would love our playoff record...and fans in 29 other cities who would love guys like Karlsson, Ryan, Spezza and Turris on their teams.
And most teams would take advantage of that talent. They have money though.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewEra View Post
he has also been playing datsyuk and zetterberg on the pp and had some even strength playing time with them earlier in the season. we dont have anyone in terms of forwards that match their offensive skills, so it does make it easier to produce points
Alfredsson was said to be our MVP last year... Coaches to the players... He was outstanding at both ends.

He was far from done and he is do smart offensively he would easily mesh with the skill in Detroit.

He'd be PPG here... He'd probably have been put back on the point on the pp and look deadly with Karlsson

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Nordic*

We are 24th in the league, that's pretty much what our current roster should pruduce.
With our defence we will not be a playoff team, it's simple.

I mean, how many ******* times hasn't Karlsson made an incredible no-look pass in his own zone, straight to another defenceman or forward, who then can't handle the puck, or simply doesn't see/understand it coming, and just skates away from the open area where the pass is coming.

How many ******* times hasn't the likes of Cowen and Gryba let much smaller and physically weaker players get by/through them.

Our forwards are okay, at best.

I would say our forwards are in the range 15-20 in the league, and our defence is 25-30. Goalies should be 5-10, but have played more like 20-25 so far.

In short, we need to trade away Anderson for a solid defenceman, we can't afford to sit on these two goalies just switching them back and forth, screwing up the confidence of them both. We need one goalie who gets 80% of the starts.

Which teams need a #1 goalie?

Florida? Thomas is pretty good but he's getting up there, and Markstrom hasn't proved to be a #1 yet.

Islanders? Same situation there, Nabokov is about to turn 39 and hasn't done so well anyway, and none of the backups are there yet, if ever.

Florida could give up Kulikov & Clemmensen for Anderson & Gryba.

Islanders could give up Hamonic & Poulin for Anderson if we toss in Conacher or a pick on the side.

Would you do it?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
We are 24th in the league, that's pretty much what our current roster should pruduce.
With our defence we will not be a playoff team, it's simple.

I mean, how many ******* times hasn't Karlsson made an incredible no-look pass in his own zone, straight to another defenceman or forward, who then can't handle the puck, or simply doesn't see/understand it coming, and just skates away from the open area where the pass is coming.

How many ******* times hasn't the likes of Cowen and Gryba let much smaller and physically weaker players get by/through them.

I would say our forwards are in the range 15-20 in the league, and our defence is 25-30. Goalies should be 5-10, but have played more like 20-25 so far.

In short, we need to trade away Anderson for a solid defenceman, we can't afford to sit on these two goalies just switching them back and forth, screwing up the confidence of them both. We need one goalie who gets 80% of the starts.

Which teams need a #1 goalie?

Florida? Thomas is pretty good but he's getting up there, and Markstrom hasn't proved to be a #1 yet.

Islanders? Same situation there, Nabokov is about to turn 39 and hasn't done so well anyway, and none of the backups are there yet, if ever.

Islanders could give up Hamonic & Poulin for Anderson if we toss in Conacher or a pick on the side.

Would you do it?
Isles laugh.

Panthers please.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:14 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
We say no. We'd be using assets to add a redundant piece in Kulikov, who is a brutal defensive liability (and we already have enough of those on our own blueline). I'm fine with moving Andy for a defenceman, but we need to target the kind of blueliners who can help keep the puck out of our own net, not ones that'll help our opponents put it there.

Quote:
Isles probably say no, though you can't discount the possibility of them making a desperate trade to add a goalie considering how much they've invested in this season with the Vanek trade.

Unlikely, but considering their circumstances, it's not THAT far-fetched. I could see it happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:22 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:

I would say our forwards are in the range 15-20 in the league
Only 7 teams have scored more goals then us.

Our forwards our not that bad, especially with Zbad coming into his own and Macarthur surprising.

If we could keep pucks out of our net and had more than one D that could start a breakout, that would be nice.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Isles laugh.

Panthers please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
We say no. We'd be using assets to add a redundant piece in Kulikov, who is a brutal defensive liability (and we already have enough of those on our own blueline). I'm fine with moving Andy for a defenceman, but we need to target the kind of blueliners who can help keep the puck out of our own net, not ones that'll help our opponents put it there.

Isles probably say no, though you can't discount the possibility of them making a desperate trade to add a goalie considering how much they've invested in this season with the Vanek trade.

Unlikely, but considering their circumstances, it's not THAT far-fetched. I could see it happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So basically, you two disagree to 100%

I can't see any other teams who would trade for a goalie, since the league is stacked with awesome goalies now adays..

Quote:

Our forwards our not that bad, especially with Zbad coming into his own and Macarthur surprising.

If we could keep pucks out of our net and had more than one D that could start a breakout, that would be nice.
Without Karlsson, 27 teams would've scored more than us.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
supsens

Quote:

yet most teams outscore the sens when they play them.

supsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Our window was supposed to be this year too.

3 things got in the way:

Alfredsson leaving

Melnyk not spending properly

Spezza playing his worst hockey ever

You can throw in there something about Cowen and no top 4 defenders after Karlsson and Methot. Oh and maybe Anderson having the sensitivity of a highschool girl.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Without Karlsson, 27 teams would've scored more than us.
Sure, but if you take away those 27 other team's best player and even the playing field in reflection of us not including Karlsson's stats, it's much more even.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsens View Post
yet most teams outscore the sens when they play them.
Hence the "if we could play D" we wouldn't be half bad and probably have an even better offense.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Sure, but if you take away those 27 other team's best player and even the playing field in reflection of us not including Karlsson's stats, it's much more even.
I was getting at the fact that our forwards aren't that good, which was what we discussed.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
I was getting at the fact that our forwards aren't that good, which was what we discussed.
I think our forward core is pretty good (Spezza, Turris, Ryan, and Macarthur), but the forward group as a whole needs tweeking. Our defence, other of Karlsson and Methot, is embarrassing.

These problems can be fixed, but the internal budget makes it hard to make those changes. I think we have some solid players in place, but not being able to take salary back without sending some the other way really cripples the potential here.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:08 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Alfredsson was said to be our MVP last year... Coaches to the players... He was outstanding at both ends.

He was far from done and he is do smart offensively he would easily mesh with the skill in Detroit.

He'd be PPG here... He'd probably have been put back on the point on the pp and look deadly with Karlsson
Agreed. **** you Alfie.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:17 AM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
This.

Everyone seems to be talking about the internal budget while the fans refuse to buy tickets. I have been to all but 1 home game this year and not one has been a sellout. Not even the glorious Alfie returning could bring a sellout.

If all the silly finnicky fans would just buy tickets I'm sure Melnyk would have a bit more money to spend.

Are Sens fans so spoiled that once a team struggles everyone is ready to throw the savior of our franchise under the bus? Why don't you all try being a Preds fan?

Honestly this will sound like a lame excuse, but I've been to 3 sens game and they each took me about 2hrs each...one of them took me 2.5hrs once! I left at 5 and to there at 7:30, by the time I parked and got to my seat I had missed about 5 minutes of the first. My sisters went to a few more games after that and when they asked me if I wanted to go I said no. I come from Orleans and the traffic is just brutal, it's usually slow moving once you hit Blair and it's like that until you get to the CT centre.

Just brutal...I can't be the only one thinking like that, spending 2 hours to get to a game then an hour getting home is not fun, I think the traffic is affecting the sales this year.

Having said that, I think Melnyk will be willing to spend to the cap if he sees the sens have a real shot to contend for the cup.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
win one game against florida, and this thread pops up.

beautiful

best post of the night.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:34 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Agreed. **** you Alfie.
If Alfie stayed though we would not have had the money to trade for Ryan according to Melnyk

That's what sucks about being poor

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote