HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Talk (Trades, Roster Talk, Etc.)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I would have no problem adding a 1st, but I think you are probably right on Wingels being a player they would target.

That said, they have JVR, Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, Raymond, and Clarkson. They need an upgrade at defense or center.
Wingels is a natural center, just has always played wing for us.

Old
12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I would have no problem adding a 1st, but I think you are probably right on Wingels being a player they would target.

That said, they have JVR, Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, Raymond, and Clarkson. They need an upgrade at defense or center.
If push comes to shove and Toronto is not budging .. yes I would do Wingels. But honestly I would rather not. I would literally trade anyone from our non-active roster (Mueller/Nieto) and a combination of picks (even the 1st) to them.

From our active roster, anyone on the 4th line and/or Stuart (don't think he is moving) or Irwin.

12-05-2013, 12:18 PM
murdock1116

I wouldn't trade Wingels. He's having a career year, and any line he is put on seems to play better. We're going to need him for the playoff run. Even if Gardiner has promise, there is no telling if he plays well for us.

If we're going to get Gardiner it needs to be for futures/prospects. (I'd even be hesitant to move Havlat) Don't want to break up the chemistry.

I would rather send the Calgary Flames a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a guy like Kris Russell

Old
12-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
I wouldn't trade Wingels. He's having a career year, and any line he is put on seems to play better. We're going to need him for the playoff run. Even if Gardiner has promise, there is no telling if he plays well for us.

If we're going to get Gardiner it needs to be for futures/prospects. (I'd even be hesitant to move Havlat) Don't want to break up the chemistry.

I would rather send the Calgary Flames a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a guy like Kris Russell
What chemistry is that exactly?

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
What chemistry is that exactly?
Chemistry may have been the wrong word. I should have said.

I don't even want to trade Havlat cause I want as much depth at forward as possible.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:37 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

I would love Giordano, but it would have to be for picks/prospects. I'm not sure if it could fit cap wise (depending on when we do it). His cap hit is very manageable fora Dman of his caliber though - 4mil isn't bad.

I'd roll with:
Pickles - Braun
Gio - Boyle
Stuey/Scotty - Demers

Old
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I would love Giordano, but it would have to be for picks/prospects. I'm not sure if it could fit cap wise (depending on when we do it). His cap hit is very manageable fora Dman of his caliber though - 4mil isn't bad.

I'd roll with:
Pickles - Braun
Gio - Boyle
Stuey/Scotty - Demers
It can't. In a nutshell, as long as the Sharks are using LTIR to stay cap compliant they aren't banking any cap period.

If the org plans to activate Torres during the regular season, and by all accounts they do, the Sharks may be able to take on a player making under $1mil without having to send salary (cap hit) back in a trade or finding another way to clear cap space.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post

I'd roll with:
Pickles - Braun
Gio - Boyle
Stuey/Scotty - Demers
#4 LHD is the only hole I see, too. Adding speed/vision at that position would improve team speed just like losing Murray/Clowe/Hanzus did last year. I could see us offering a package of

Irwin + Kennedy + 1st for Giordano
or
Irwin + Hamilton/Tennyson + 1st for Gardiner
or
Nieto for Dumoulin/Despres (which may not be enough help for this year but helps our future).

Old
12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Obviously...I make this forum awesome!

I like Giordano, Kulikov, Coburn, Gardiner, Nikitin, Tyutin, and Orlov.

I think Giordano, Tyutin, and possibly Kulikov for what we would be trading (futures). Giordano would my choice out them because I think he would be the easiest to acquire and is the best fit for what we need. Coburn is Philly's best Dman and they are in the playoff hunt so they wouldn't want to trade him for futures. Orlov, Gardiner and Nikitin are young good dmen so it doesn't make sense to trade them for futures. Kulikov is a possibilty because he is struggling with Florida and they are still in rebuild mode so futures would interest them. However, I don't think Kulikov, with the way he is playing, would be good for this team. He would be an offseason target IMO. Tyutin is too expensive IMO and like you said he is important for helping Nikitin. Giordano is in his prime and was playing well before getting injured. He is a solid TWD on a good contract 4mil for the next few years which is solid for a dmen of his caliber. Calgary is rebuilding so futures would interest him. Giordano would be the best option out of that list.
As a guy who lives in Calgary and is inundated with Flames talk 24/7, there's no way the Flames would trade Gio (their captain) and he definitely wouldn't be the easiest to acquire from that list.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
As a guy who lives in Calgary and is inundated with Flames talk 24/7, there's no way the Flames would trade Gio (their captain) and he definitely wouldn't be the easiest to acquire from that list.
So in your better informed opinion, Irwin + Kennedy + 1st for Giordano is not close? What do you think would be a reasonable starting point?

Old
12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
So in your better informed opinion, Irwin + Kennedy + 1st for Giordano is not close? What do you think would be a reasonable starting point?
Kennedy is not going to be traded, the coaches and DW are both beyond happy with what he's brought to the team.

There's very, very, very little chance Giordano will be traded so there in't really a reasonable starting point.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Kennedy is not going to be traded, the coaches and DW are both beyond happy with what he's brought to the team.
I agree. Even though Kennedy in my opinion is the least useful asset with value (no insult to Kennedy, just compared to Wingels/Torres/Havlat, etc), I don't see DW trading him. Especially considering he was just signed last off-season.

Only pieces I'd want to move for a D would be Irwin and picks/prospects (don't see DW trading Stuart or Hannan either). Trading Demers for another D seems like a lateral move in my opinion, unless that D is a guaranteed Boyle replacement. I'd prefer not to mess up the Sharks' forward depth (so not Wingels or Havlat) either.

EDIT: FTR, I'm not even thinking about the cap complications in that scenario.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I agree. Even though Kennedy in my opinion is the least useful asset with value (no insult to Kennedy, just compared to Wingels/Torres/Havlat, etc), I don't see DW trading him. Especially considering he was just signed last off-season.

Only pieces I'd want to move for a D would be Irwin and picks/prospects (don't see DW trading Stuart or Hannan either). Trading Demers for another D seems like a lateral move in my opinion, unless that D is a guaranteed Boyle replacement. I'd prefer not to mess up the Sharks' forward depth (so not Wingels or Havlat) either.
I agree, especially since that depth can disappear very quickly with Havlat's injury history and Torres' suspension history.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post

EDIT: FTR, I'm not even thinking about the cap complications in that scenario.
I added Kennedy in for cap purposes. With us over the cap, we are not banking any real TDL space, so Irwin @ 1M + Kennedy @ 2.35M = 3.35M of Gio's 4 M. Basically, I could see Kennedy as part of a package if needed for cap purposes, otherwise DW will keep him (cause DW is reluctant to trade players he just went out and got). If we are looking to get a LHD making 3M+, we will need to clear some cap room.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I added Kennedy in for cap purposes. With us over the cap, we are not banking any real TDL space, so Irwin @ 1M + Kennedy @ 2.35M = 3.35M of Gio's 4 M. Basically, I could see Kennedy as part of a package if needed for cap purposes, otherwise DW will keep him (cause DW is reluctant to trade players he just went out and got). If we are looking to get a LHD making 3M+, we will need to clear some cap room.
I think if the Sharks are going to do that they will trade Havlat, but really I just don't see it happening.

They'll trade for a cost controlled player like Gardiner, or a rental with cap retained, thats it.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
I agree, especially since that depth can disappear very quickly with Havlat's injury history and Torres' suspension history.
For the right upgrade at LHD, I would be willing to part with one of Havlat/Kennedy (mostly for cap reasons) or Nieto. Am willing to add Irwin/Hannan + Hamilton/Tennyson + 1st or two 2nds (again, depending on return)

Old
12-05-2013, 02:30 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
Don't really see the point in trading for Giordano. Since he's their captain, he'll cost more than he's worth.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think if the Sharks are going to do that they will trade Havlat, but really I just don't see it happening.

They'll trade for a cost controlled player like Gardiner, or a rental with cap retained, thats it.
I think Gardiner would be a better target for our team anyway. (although signing him and Demers as RFA same year could hurt) Can we pry Gardiner away without losing Demers. If leafs are out of the hunt at the TDL, what do you think they would go for?

Old
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:

There's very, very, very little chance Giordano will be traded so there in't really a reasonable starting point.
Plus, looking at the forward depth, Kennedy is a bit more of a safer depth. With players like Hertl and Wingels, there is no history of this kind of play; there is the fear that they will regress. Havlat has injury issues, and Torres has injury/reputation issues. Kennedy's probably the safest bet to be a consistent third-line contributor.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
DW will wait untill the deadline and pick up a vet for a draft pick

though some combo of
Irwin, Nieto/Hamilton, 1st/2nd/Mueller would be able to get a decent rfa type player as well

not against taking a shot on Wiercioch, and if the Sens are out of the race his value probably goes down

Old
12-05-2013, 02:44 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Don't really see the point in trading for Giordano. Since he's their captain, he'll cost more than he's worth.
He appears to be (and I have been wrong before- never expected Moen/Pahlsson would be available), one of 2-3 players that has the ability to make an immediate impact, and could potentially be available, because his team is awful, and has a decent contract. Ehrhoff and to a lesser degree, Kulikov, are the others.

Also, I am curious if the quality of the 2015 draft- and specifically McDavid- will bottom 10 teams consider doing less to improve their team in the hope of getting a franchise player?

I would say Buffalo is doing this, Florida, Columbus, and Calgary might, and the Oilers will not (though still may end up with him).

Old
12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
I think Gardiner would be a better target for our team anyway. (although signing him and Demers as RFA same year could hurt) Can we pry Gardiner away without losing Demers. If leafs are out of the hunt at the TDL, what do you think they would go for?
Gardiner would be a great pick up but I think it's probably a good idea for Sharks fans to move on from him. Based on his usage the Leafs seem to understand what they have in him and if, BIG if, they decide to trade him they are looking for clear upgrades at center and defense. The Sharks wouldn't be willing to part with what the Leafs would want, Wingels and Demers don't fill their needs.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Much of the Gardiner talk on the radio here is they are looking/wanting a 1st and something added (seeming preferably a forward) in return as they seem to want to spot Riley in his role on a regular basis. They are also trying to move Liles but, he has an awful contract so, nobody biting on that deal.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Much of the Gardiner talk on the radio here is they are looking/wanting a 1st and something added (seeming preferably a forward) in return as they seem to want to spot Riley in his role on a regular basis. They are also trying to move Liles but, he has an awful contract so, nobody biting on that deal.
Nieto and 1st might fit that bill, that would be a tough pill though.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:40 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Nieto and 1st might fit that bill, that would be a tough pill though.
Yeah I agree it'd be tough. I'm not really sure Nieto is one guy we'd want to move, so much upside with him and he seems he will be a perfect fit on this squad.

Closed Thread