HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Talk (Trades, Roster Talk, Etc.)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
He does seem like a quiet guy and I actually feel bad for him. Anyone who went through the surgery he went though and makes it back to playing NHL hockey deserves a TON of credit but I agree, he just doesn't seem to fit.

I don't if they plan to (or even want to) move him so I'd really like to see him find his game and a spot where he can contribute but he's just not the same player he was before this last surgery.
I have no animosity towards him and I respect him. I liked the trade when it happened and had high hopes. It hasn't and isn't working for what appears to be many reasons. Obviously I can't trade him, so even now I hope it changes if he stays. I just don't see it.

12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Thornton was on the ice for one of Crosby's three points. I'm starting to get really sick of your bias.
Thornton has one eye

Old
12-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thornton was on the ice for one of Crosby's three points. I'm starting to get really sick of your bias.
Someone has there panties in a bunch today i see. If you will learn 1 thing about my critizing of marleau learn this. I do not ever want marleau traded unless it is to some how some way bring in an upgrade. Will i complain that he gets to much in his next contract? Most likely yes, but then again he can suprise me and take less then what i expect him to take.

But i will be happy no matter what, because i know that marleau with all of his faults does make the sharks better and well there is nobody that will be traded and nobody in the open market that will bring what he does for less or the same.

Old
12-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
He does seem like a quiet guy and I actually feel bad for him. Anyone who went through the surgery he went though and makes it back to playing NHL hockey deserves a TON of credit but I agree, he just doesn't seem to fit.

I don't if they plan to (or even want to) move him I'd really like to see him find his game and a spot where he can contribute but he's just not the same player he was before this last surgery.
Yeah its becoming apparent that the system the Sharks currently deploy isn't fit for Havlat at this stage of his career. He just can't seem to find that extra gear.

Old
12-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Someone has there panties in a bunch today i see. If you will learn 1 thing about my critizing of marleau learn this. I do not ever want marleau traded unless it is to some how some way bring in an upgrade. Will i complain that he gets to much in his next contract? Most likely yes, but then again he can suprise me and take less then what i expect him to take.

But i will be happy no matter what, because i know that marleau with all of his faults does make the sharks better and well there is nobody that will be traded and nobody in the open market that will bring what he does for less or the same.
You are correct, I have non-Sharks related things going on my life right now that make my fuse a little shorter than usual. I just think you tend to see faults in Marleau where there aren't any (not saying that he doesn't have faults, but you seem to see ones that aren't there). And then you don't see any faults in Thornton. Those two are my favorite, so this is something I notice. I know I get a reputation of being a Marleau-homer around here, but that's not at all the case. I love Marleau and Thornton equally. I defend both when they need defending and criticize both when the need criticizing. I just find that considering how the rest of Sharks fans feel about those two, I need do to a lot more of the former for Marleau and a lot more of the latter for Thornton, so it seems like I like Marleau more.

Old
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
You are correct, I have non-Sharks related things going on my life right now that make my fuse a little shorter than usual. I just think you tend to see faults in Marleau where there aren't any (not saying that he doesn't have faults, but you seem to see ones that aren't there). And then you don't see any faults in Thornton. Those two are my favorite, so this is something I notice. I know I get a reputation of being a Marleau-homer around here, but that's not at all the case. I love Marleau and Thornton equally. I defend both when they need defending and criticize both when the need criticizing. I just find that considering how the rest of Sharks fans feel about those two, I need do to a lot more of the former for Marleau and a lot more of the latter for Thornton, so it seems like I like Marleau more.
If you notice, or i guess not notice me say something back when it is about thornton then you will find where i think his faults are.

Also if you ever see me basically call marleau useless/worst/trade him, 99.99% of the time i am just joking and hoping to get the marleau fans blood boiling (i find it funny, just like i think they think it is funny to say stuff about thornton that is outragous to get us thornton fans going).

Old
12-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
If you notice, or i guess not notice me say something back when it is about thornton then you will find where i think his faults are.

Also if you ever see me basically call marleau useless/worst/trade him, 99.99% of the time i am just joking and hoping to get the marleau fans blood boiling (i find it funny, just like i think they think it is funny to say stuff about thornton that is outragous to get us thornton fans going).
Okay, but the difference is that the people doing that to Marleau are Sharks fans, and the ones doing it to Thornton are non-Sharks fans.

Old
12-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Okay, but the difference is that the people doing that to Marleau are Sharks fans, and the ones doing it to Thornton are non-Sharks fans.
I barely have to defend thornton on the main board, majority of my battles are here.

Old
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I'm not kidding.

Just as an anecdote, I watched him for 5 solid minutes warming up at the game Friday. Not a single player skated up to him, not a stick tap or a smile and a quick chat, nothing. Nobody avoided him or anything, but it was in stark contrast to everything else that was going on.

I just don't think he fits for whatever reason. Now someone might come in here and say "that's just the way he is"; whatever. It's not just that which makes me think he's not right for this team.
I honestly didn't see much of last game, but during the that last homestand where the Sharks played some of the best teams the NHL has to offer Havlat looked great

Old
12-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
I barely have to defend thornton on the main board, majority of my battles are here.
You really don't need to. Every Sharks fan knows in their hearts that Thornton is the King. To be honest, Patty deserves to be cut some slack by some of us. Dudes a beast but we're all comparing him to a monster which makes him look lame in comparison. Plus I'm sure it's no fun for him to read the forums and see all the hate. No wonder he's always looking like :|

Speaking of Havlat, the teams attitude around him reminds me of how they were with Handzus. Just kinda whatever and not really givin him any love.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post

Speaking of Havlat, the teams attitude around him reminds me of how they were with Handzus. Just kinda whatever and not really givin him any love.
Not just the team but the coaches and broadcasters too. I remember when Havlat left the Sharks shorthanded early against the Kings in the playoffs and after the game Hedican ripped him and said he didn't expect Havlat back next year or something. Then came the speculations with his locker being removed and how he was gonna get bought out. Even this year, Drew and Hedi seem to be harder on Havlat than the others when he makes a bad play so I imagine it's an awkward situation all around.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I don't really think Havlat is a good fit with Pavelski. Havlat needs to play with Marleau and Couture to be at his best. It is a better fit for him.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I don't really think Havlat is a good fit with Pavelski. Havlat needs to play with Marleau and Couture to be at his best. It is a better fit for him.
It might be the best fit for him, but havlat needs to prove to himself and the coaching staff that he is able and willing to put in the effort to be on the top line offensively, and to be able to be trusted to go against top competition defensively.

He has done neither.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
It might be the best fit for him, but havlat needs to prove to himself and the coaching staff that he is able and willing to put in the effort to be on the top line offensively, and to be able to be trusted to go against top competition defensively.

He has done neither.
Yep, Havlat has been atrocious defensively.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:11 AM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
He's mastered fly-bye's though

Old
12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:

He has done neither.
Then maybe he isn't the forward we need. Maybe he gets scratched for Torres when he comes back unless Havlat is playing well. I like the Sheppard Desjardin Brown line and they have played well so really no reason to mess with that.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Then maybe he isn't the forward we need. Maybe he gets scratched for Torres when he comes back unless Havlat is playing well. I like the Sheppard Desjardin Brown line and they have played well so really no reason to mess with that.
ding ding ding we have a winner. is he a good player when not injured and playing well? sure he is. but those games are few and very far between.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I think you are all seeing what you want to see. The measurable facts are, the Sharks have their highest save percentage when Havlat is on the ice.

Based on measurable facts, you may start to think that Hertl and Thornton have been sub par defensively. Probably more Hertl, which makes all the sense in the world.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I think you are all seeing what you want to see. The measurable facts are, the Sharks have their highest save percentage when Havlat is on the ice.

Based on measurable facts, you may start to think that Hertl and Thornton have been sub par defensively. Probably more Hertl, which makes all the sense in the world.
What I want to see? I've been maybe Havlat's biggest supporter around here. I've defended him countless times. I want Havlat to succeed and if I saw him doing something good, I would say it.

As for the bolded, you do know that forwards have absolutely no impact on their on-ice save percentage, right, Havlat's been lucky not to have been on the ice for more goals.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:

could also mean that havlat and his line have more shots against him also.

i am sure there is a stat some where on this lovely thing we call the internet, i just don't know where. of shots taken and against.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
murdock1116

Havlat looks like a player who is afraid to get hurt again. His lack of effort probably comes from that little voice in his head that tells him not to push it or he might re-injure himself.

He might do better in the playoffs when guys are willing to play with more reckless abandon. In the meantime I expect him to continue to float.

But I agree that something is off with the Pavelski line. They just don't seem to be as good as they should be.

Maybe Torres will fix that when he gets back.

Old
12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
sr228

Quote:

As Jux said, skaters have no impact on the goaltenders SP and Havlat has been very lucky that he hasn't been on the ice for more goals against especially considering he's been one of the bottom skaters when it comes to possession (SF/SA differential).

Last edited by sr228: 12-06-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 02:33 PM
oyster

Quote:
What I want to see? I've been maybe Havlat's biggest supporter around here. I've defended him countless times. I want Havlat to succeed and if I saw him doing something good, I would say it.

As for the bolded, you do know that forwards have absolutely no impact on their on-ice save percentage, right, Havlat's been lucky not to have been on the ice for more goals.
Funny, FTF just retweeted an article about that last night.

Of Sharks forwards Havlat is 3rd worst corsi on and relvative (above Brown and Desi) but highest on ice sv% and PDO so yes, he is extremely lucky he hasn't been on the ice for more goals against. He's playing like a fourth liner right now, but at least he's not making Heatley money doing it I guess. Not looking good for him when Torres returns.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
Funny, FTF just retweeted an article about that last night.

Of Sharks forwards Havlat is 3rd worst corsi on and relvative (above Brown and Desi) but highest on ice sv% and PDO so yes, he is extremely lucky he hasn't been on the ice for more goals against. He's playing like a fourth liner right now, but at least he's not making Heatley money doing it I guess. Not looking good for him when Torres returns.
But maybe Niemi has a HUGE man crush on Havlat and wants to impress him while he's on the ice by making more saves

Old
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
But maybe Niemi has a HUGE man crush on Havlat and wants to impress him while he's on the ice by making more saves
This sounds like bad fanfiction

Closed Thread