HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Gretzky in talks with Caps & three others

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be president of the Washington Capitals?
Dick Patrick 2 3.77%
Wayne Gretzky 21 39.62%
Some unnamed dark horse candidate 22 41.51%
No president at all 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
  #26
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Nov 13: Ted gives himself an "F" and declares making the playoffs not good enough
Nov 20: Caps suffer embarassing loss to Pens, starting 4 game losing streak
Nov 22: Gretzky at Caps game vs MTL, sparking rumors of a position in DC
Nov 25: Erat demands trade
Nov 26: Story comes out that Orlov is constantly recalled but not playing because of a contract clause
Nov 27: Orlov demands trade
Nov 29: Neuvirth injures himself in warm ups, video editor is backup goalie, Fehr and Grabo carry the team vs MTL dealing a blow to Oates' handedness scheme, Beagle in, Laich out
Nov 30: Erat and Orlov back on the ice, Mike Green suddenly wakes up
Dec 3: Gretzky reaches deal with NHL in lawsuit regarding PHO, Green back on PP and scores first goal of season, Alzner quote indicates team did not take Carolina seriously in 4-1 loss
Dec 4: Rumors of Gretzky to Washington heat up


Think GMGM was feeling some heat? Oates? Think the players know something is going on? Is there fire behind this smoke? Or is this just making something out of nothing?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:27 PM
  #27
Chokingdogs
Registered User
 
Chokingdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Nov 13: Ted gives himself an "F" and declares making the playoffs not good enough
Nov 20: Caps suffer embarassing loss to Pens, starting 4 game losing streak
Nov 22: Gretzky at Caps game vs MTL, sparking rumors of a position in DC
Nov 25: Erat demands trade
Nov 26: Story comes out that Orlov is constantly recalled but not playing because of a contract clause
Nov 27: Orlov demands trade
Nov 29: Neuvirth injures himself in warm ups, video editor is backup goalie, Fehr and Grabo carry the team vs MTL dealing a blow to Oates' handedness scheme, Beagle in, Laich out
Nov 30: Erat and Orlov back on the ice, Mike Green suddenly wakes up
Dec 3: Gretzky reaches deal with NHL in lawsuit regarding PHO, Green back on PP and scores first goal of season, Alzner quote indicates team did not take Carolina seriously in 4-1 loss
Dec 4: Rumors of Gretzky to Washington heat up


Think GMGM was feeling some heat? Oates? Think the players know something is going on? Is there fire behind this smoke? Or is this just making something out of nothing?
it didnt really dawn on me until just now, seeing that timeline, at how odd his self-grading comment was in terms of when.

the time to say something like that would be after a playoff series ends ( like after the montreal debacle ), or over the summer. saying it a month into a season, after yet another 1 round bounce is, in my view, strange.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
  #28
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
it didnt really dawn on me until just now, seeing that timeline, at how odd his self-grading comment was in terms of when.

the time to say something like that would be after a playoff series ends ( like after the montreal debacle ), or over the summer. saying it a month into a season, after yet another 1 round bounce is, in my view, strange.
No, you say something like that when it's least likely to get picked up or force you to own up to it, but so you can still get it out there and then point back at it later. Now if **** hits the fan he can point to it and be like see I showed humility and understanding. It's like John Edwards admitting to his affair when the world's attention was somewhere else and no one cared.

It's a known relations tactic and a damn good one. Learn from uncle Teddy and you will go far. Not far but far nonetheless. <-there's another one

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:29 AM
  #29
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
When did Ted give himself a F?

I confuse

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:06 AM
  #30
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
No, you say something like that when it's least likely to get picked up or force you to own up to it, but so you can still get it out there and then point back at it later. Now if **** hits the fan he can point to it and be like see I showed humility and understanding. It's like John Edwards admitting to his affair when the world's attention was somewhere else and no one cared.

It's a known relations tactic and a damn good one. Learn from uncle Teddy and you will go far. Not far but far nonetheless. <-there's another one
Ted's comment in mid-November of a hockey season is not akin to releasing bad news on a Friday or while something else has peoples' attention. It's a very odd time for Ted to essentially reverse course on years of "metrics" he's used in judging the performance of himself and his organization. It's a shot across the bow at the start of the season and something he can point to later if big changes need to be made, not something that's intended to be hidden, imo.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
  #31
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
When did Ted give himself a F?

I confuse
I think I listed it in the timeline as the 13th but it may have been 11/12. Either way, discussion here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...s#post74275005

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:18 AM
  #32
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,674
vCash: 500
Might want to add this:
Quote:
“If we don’t win the Stanley Cup, we do what?” Leonsis asked. “Will people cancel their season tickets? Will sponsors stop supporting us? Will Verizon say, ‘No, we don’t want to be on the Verizon Center anymore?’ No, I don’t live in fear of that.”...

So what if, once again, the Capitals don’t win a championship and the Wizards miss the playoffs this year? Or the next? Or the next?

“You write nasty articles,” Leonsis replied, “and we go at it again next year."
Maybe it makes sense to add to the front office in an advisory capacity. In theory that shouldn't hurt and some of the best franchises have stacked front offices but not sure Gretzky is that guy.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact a potential Monumental Network channel has on how they re-invest down the line. Maybe everything they do until then is focused on positioning themselves the best for when that time comes.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  #33
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
In any event, it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact a potential Monumental Network channel has on how they re-invest down the line. Maybe everything they do until then is focused on positioning themselves the best for when that time comes.
Are you implying a potential sale in the medium term future?


Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 12-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.
BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:45 AM
  #34
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Might want to add this:

Maybe it makes sense to add to the front office in an advisory capacity. In theory that shouldn't hurt and some of the best franchises have stacked front offices but not sure Gretzky is that guy.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact a potential Monumental Network channel has on how they re-invest down the line. Maybe everything they do until then is focused on positioning themselves the best for when that time comes.
So after about a week Ted went back to his usual "we're not failures, winning championships is hard, we'll still fill seats and sponsors will still pay us" attack on the press and critics. And if you look at the timeline it coincides with the entry of Gretzky into the picture, at least publicly.

I wonder if the two are related.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  #35
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Ted's comment in mid-November of a hockey season is not akin to releasing bad news on a Friday or while something else has peoples' attention. It's a very odd time for Ted to essentially reverse course on years of "metrics" he's used in judging the performance of himself and his organization. It's a shot across the bow at the start of the season and something he can point to later if big changes need to be made, not something that's intended to be hidden, imo.
That's what I mean.

It doesn't hurt/stir attention now, but it's something he can point at later. Saying that after the playoffs would have put pressure on him. Throwing it out now means not much pressure now and significantly less pressure later.

Not hidden, but delivered quietly. Possibly a shot in the arm to casual STHs becoming disillusioned with the team.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  #36
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Are you implying a potential sale in the medium term future?
No. Just that the near-term goal is likely building up an empire rather than anything like bringing local fans happiness or some such dribble. If moves need to be made in the front office it will be with that first objective in mind and only if the situation is very dire.

Maybe Leonsis is starting to re-evaluate things to a certain extent but the overall picture I think is already pretty well established. Tweaking around the edges won't fundamentally change that he's primarily interested in marketing hype and brand growth.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  #37
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
I fear the only thing that is going to get Ted to actually do something about the team is for the Verizon Center to start to sit empty for games, which I dont see happening any time soon.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
  #38
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I fear the only thing that is going to get Ted to actually do something about the team is for the Verizon Center to start to sit empty for games, which I dont see happening any time soon.
It hasn't been empty, but it's been far from a sellout game-to-game.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:23 PM
  #39
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
It hasn't been empty, but it's been far from a sellout game-to-game.
Well, hopefully he is seeing that and not just looking at the tickets sold because I think they keep announcing another sellout at VC.

At least I know I heard it not too long ago as some extended sellout streak again at VC. Granted I havent watched too many of the most recent games very closely due to the frustration.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
  #40
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
Finally, an answer to the 2C problem.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
  #41
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
It hasn't been empty, but it's been far from a sellout game-to-game.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance


Currently averaging 18506 which is exactly the stated capacity for hockey....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  #42
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance


Currently averaging 18506 which is exactly the stated capacity for hockey....
Should of specified and said actual attendance.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
  #43
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Should of specified and said actual attendance.
Paid attendance is all Leonsis cares about.

Sadly, unless they miss the playoffs, nothing is happening IMO. As a season ticketholder, I've been surprised at how supportive Caps fans have been about attending. More likely DC fans desperate for a team NOT playing like the Skins are, or the Wiz have (historically).

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  #44
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,089
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Paid attendance is all Leonsis cares about.
He probably cares about a decline in actual attendance as a predictor of one in paid attendance.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:18 PM
  #45
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
Actual attendance drives up concession and gift shop revenue.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  #46
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
He probably cares about a decline in actual attendance as a predictor of one in paid attendance.
In that case we are screwed, since this team could lose half its STHs and replace them overnight as long as the team is middle of the road and has Ovechkin. If there is one thing Leonsis knows as well as anybody it's the casualness of DC sports fans.

Given his personality he'd probably take a buddy buddy atmosphere/team and players he's comfortable with and break close to even over a team he's not as personally comfortable with that could net him 5 mil a year due to one extra round. That money is chump change to him anyway. Oh, he probably wants to win but he covets the warmth as much as anyone I've ever seen.

If we had HunterHockey last year I'd bet a good deal the caps would have made more on account on getting 1 or 2 rounds further but Ted would have still preferred Oates and a fun resurgent Ovechkin.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  #47
n3ss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Oh god this would be right up the caps alley..

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:19 PM
  #48
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Paid attendance is all Leonsis cares about.

Sadly, unless they miss the playoffs, nothing is happening IMO. As a season ticketholder, I've been surprised at how supportive Caps fans have been about attending. More likely DC fans desperate for a team NOT playing like the Skins are, or the Wiz have (historically).
As a clearly unhappy season ticket holder when do you put up?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:52 PM
  #49
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
As a clearly unhappy season ticket holder when do you put up?
I'm pretty close, but my seats are so damned good I fear I'll never get seats as good again. Would make it more palatable if the resale market was decent, but it's been in decline for 3 years.

I'm a hardcore Caps fan. I'm just as happy to watch from the comforts of my couch. If they miss the playoffs or fail miserably in the 1st round again....it's almost a certainty at this point. I have friends who work for the team, I'd just buy a handful of good games a year until ownership showed me they give a damn about on ice performance in the postseason.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
  #50
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm pretty close, but my seats are so damned good I fear I'll never get seats as good again. Would make it more palatable if the resale market was decent, but it's been in decline for 3 years.
This seems to be the feeling I get from those I know that have season tickets, especially those that have had them for some time. Chances of getting good seats again are nearly nil, especially if they turn it around (which is when you'd want the seats back), so you just keep holding on to the seats you have, whether happy or not.

In photos I've seen, there seems to be quite a few of the lower bowl seats empty, which are likely a lot of season holders that are not interested in going to all the games any longer. However, those show up as sold on the stat sheets and lead to another VC sellout crowd.

So if Ted is just looking at the numbers, things are good, but if he's looking into the stands and actually listening to the season holders, things may not be so rosy and hopefully he is seeing it.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.