HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals XIV: Size Queen Edition

View Poll Results: Would you trade Hall for Weber?
Never. 55 55.56%
Yes. But I wouldn't want to add anything. 31 31.31%
Yes. Would be willing to add Nurse or our 2014 1st rounder. 8 8.08%
Yes. Would be willing to add anyone not named Hopkins, Eberle or Yakupov. 5 5.05%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Trade Rumors and Proposals XIV: Size Queen Edition

We need size and grit!

From the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
The Oilers are just constantly spinning their wheels and going no where. We'll have a winning streak against bad teams or a decent road trip and all of a sudden everything's back to normal, maybe they're finally getting back on track. Then a game like last nights comes along where we actually play a good team and we realize, no they're not. Unfortunately management will never notice this.

Gagner needs to go.. it's his 7th NHL season and he has yet to make any strides in the faceoff circle or the defensive end. He is one-dimensional and small. When he gets shutdown offensively he is literally useless. He has value, don't get me wrong. He's still young and definitely a #2 center on most teams, but it shouldn't be here. Can't believe MacT promised he wouldn't trade him. What a dumb thing to promise to a player.

There are times where I seriously doubt this team will ever live up to expectations. I don't see us ending up like the Islanders or Blue Jackets just because we have the assets to build a team through trades, whereas their assets basically busted and they didn't have that luxury. The problem is management needs to notice this and there hasn't been any signs of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Obviously this roster is impossible, just throwing it out there for fun.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Giroux-Hemsky
Kulemin-Couturier-Gordon
Garbutt-Arcobello-Bernier
McCormick

Coburn-Phaneuf
Ehrhoff-Campbell
Belov-Fayne
Klefbom

Dubnyk
Scrivens

Re-sign Belov, Hemsky, Dubnyk
Sign Kulemin, Scrivens, Phaneuf, Bernier, Garbutt, Fayne, McCormick
Trade Eberle, J.Schultz, Gagner, Petry, 1st in 2015 to PHI for Giroux, Couturier, Coburn
Trade Ference, Marincin, 2nd in 2015 to FLA for Campbell at half price
Trade 1st in 2014 to BUF for Ehrhoff at half price
Trade Larsen to DET for Drew Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
if philly thinks giroux is the best player in the world then I would say that trade wouldn't work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFossum View Post
You think NYR will trade is Staal and McDonagh ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
There's good enough reason to believe Staal will just bolt to Carolina in free agency.

Would love McDonaugh though I can't see them trading him if they expect to lose Girardi to UFA this summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFossum View Post
You gotta think they'd prioritize McD over Girardi though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Absolutely. McD is a franchise-level defenseman in the making. Girardi is a good player but he's not on the same level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Possibly the worst use of "probably" ever... I'm assuming you were sarcastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Petry/Weber is pretty much a coin flip. Can't go wrong with either one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlisajoke View Post
FORWARDS

David Perron / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall / Brayden Schenn / Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Pitlick / Boyd Gordon / Ryan Jones
John Scott / Mark Arcobello / Jesse Joensuu
Luke Gazdic

DEFENSEMEN

Michael Del Zotto/ Braydon Coburn
Justin Schultz / Andrew Ference
Darnell Nurse / Anton Belov
Oscar Klefbom

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov
Brian Elliott

This team has to be playoff bound. What do you guys think?

Trade Yakupov + D prospect (Marinicin) + pick to Flyers for Schenn + Coburn

Trade Petry+pick to NYR for Del Zotto

Sign Kulemin + Scott

Trade Gagner for pick to anyone who take him
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
The Rangers have done an incredible job managing their cap. Even Hank's contract doesn't knock that out of whack. And with Brad Richards' buyout looming in the off-season, I don't think they'll have any issues resigning Dan Girardi.

But if there's any inclination that Girardi's asking for too much, I'd have to think MacT would be in there trying to message a deal with Sather. Going from Petry to Girardi would be a significant upgrade for us and that trade could potentially help both teams in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
You guys have
Hall, Yak, RNH, Eberle, Gagner

5 young top 6 forwards of varying skill and value.

You're D might be the worst in the league. Petry is the only one you COULD possibly consider a top 4 dman on a decent team...

I think trading F for D would be a good idea. Even if its a bit of a rip off value-wise for the oilers, OVERALL they'd win more games..

Big decisions for the GM to make..glad i dont have that job.

12-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlisajoke View Post
FORWARDS

David Perron / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall / Brayden Schenn / Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Pitlick / Boyd Gordon / Ryan Jones
John Scott / Mark Arcobello / Jesse Joensuu
Luke Gazdic

DEFENSEMEN

Michael Del Zotto/ Braydon Coburn
Justin Schultz / Andrew Ference
Darnell Nurse / Anton Belov
Oscar Klefbom

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov
Brian Elliott

This team has to be playoff bound. What do you guys think?

Trade Yakupov + D prospect (Marinicin) + pick to Flyers for Schenn + Coburn

Trade Petry+pick to NYR for Del Zotto

Sign Kulemin + Scott

Trade Gagner for pick to anyone who take him
Nobody seems to pay attention to what side Defencemen play on.

Your line up should actually look like this:

Michael Del Zotto/ Justin Schultz
Braydon Coburn /
Andrew Ference /
Anton Belov /
Darnell Nurse /
Oscar Klefbom

Old
12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Eberle + for McDonagh

Old
12-05-2013, 11:38 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
This is kind of unrelated to Rumors and Proposals, but it has to do with our 2014 1st round pick and what kind of value it has.

How is the NHL doing the draft lottery in 2014? Is it going to have the same format as 2013 where all team drafting 1-15 have a shot at first overall?

What kind of value do you think our pick holds right now during the season? Do you think it would be wise for MacT to try and trade it mid-season? You would think teams would be licking their chops at trading for our pick with the current hard downward trend the Oilers are having.

Would you rather have a shot at Ekblad in June or trade the pick mid-season and try to get another GM to gamble on our pick, with the hopes we continue our downward trend?

Old
12-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
This is kind of unrelated to Rumors and Proposals, but it has to do with our 2014 1st round pick and what kind of value it has.

How is the NHL doing the draft lottery in 2014? Is it going to have the same format as 2013 where all team drafting 1-15 have a shot at first overall?

What kind of value do you think our pick holds right now during the season? Do you think it would be wise for MacT to try and trade it mid-season? You would think teams would be licking their chops at trading for our pick with the current hard downward trend the Oilers are having.

Would you rather have a shot at Ekblad in June or trade the pick mid-season and try to get another GM to gamble on our pick, with the hopes we continue our downward trend?
Yes same format. I'd say we are likely top-3 for now, unless we pull some crazy stupid playoff chase that ends up with us in the top-10.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Nobody seems to pay attention to what side Defencemen play on.

Your line up should actually look like this:

Michael Del Zotto/ Justin Schultz
Braydon Coburn /
Andrew Ference /
Anton Belov /
Darnell Nurse /
Oscar Klefbom
Yeah, that bugs me too, but Belov actually prefers to play RD even though he's a LHS.

12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Jet Walters

Our most physical forward in the lineup tonight is a toss-up between Jones or Joensuu. Think about that for a minute. 190 pound Andrew Ferrence is our only real threat to drop the mitts. How do you think an opposition player feels looking down this roster before the game?

How is it that a hard-nosed gritty former NHL player, who is now our GM, failed to address this glaring need in summer? Picking up a couple plugs in MacIntyre and Gazdic for the fourth line has and will not change a thing either. We need functional toughness/grit/size in our top 9 and top four defence. It will give our skilled players some more room out there, and more importantly, confidence.

The minute we drafted RNH, Gagner should have been put on the trade block.

If we we're serious about building a contender why was Yakupov drafted when we already had a plethora of young skilled wingers? I am not suggesting we should have taken Murray. We should have traded the pick outright for help then. Remember when we laughed at the Habs fans offering Subban for the pick, and said they would have to add the 3rd overall for the Oilers to consider. Hindsight is 20/20, but our management "club" gets paid to make the tough decisions, but recent history such as handing Gagner near 5 million and telling Arcobello to find a more permanent residence in town suggests to me that they don't have a freaking clue what a balance team should look like.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
BowDangles

Other teams must just be licking their chops when they look at Edmonton's defence…. I know Eakins is trying to send a message to Belov and Petry but I hope he is also trying to show MacT just how bad his D line is..

Tonight we have:

Ference - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Marcinin - Larsen

That right there is an AHL line up on D…

Old
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Other teams must just be licking their chops when they look at Edmonton's defence…. I know Eakins is trying to send a message to Belov and Petry but I hope he is also trying to show MacT just how bad his D line is..

Tonight we have:

Ference - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Marcinin - Larsen

Potter? ECHL worthy on the 2nd pairing.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:31 PM
belair

Potter is better than what we give him credit for. But he still isn't an NHL regular on a good team.

Fingers crossed that Marincin takes this opportunity and runs with it.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:24 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

Tonight we have:

Ference - J Schultz
N Schultz - Potter
Marcinin - Larsen

Sure glad I have Duchene is my hockey pool by the looks of that defence....

Old
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

we need to find a way to bring in 2 or 3 of these guys.

Ott
Neil
downie
stewart
simmonds
prust
hartnell

Old
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

Ott
Neil
downie
stewart
simmonds
prust
hartnell
I'll take Simmonds and Hartnell and would be willing to part with our 1st round pick this year to get them.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Sure glad I have Duchene is my hockey pool by the looks of that defence....
First thing I thought. Second was I also have McKinnon.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Horseradish

Worry about size and grit when we have a full lineup of NHL players. Can we get to that crucial first stage FIRST though?

Team desperately needs 2 defensive-minded wingers, 2 veteran top-4 dmen (Smid wouldn't hurt, that's for damn sure), and a goalie at the very least.

Could use another veteran top-6 forward and 2 more capable 4th liners too, but who's counting.

Frankly, I don't care how big or small those players are. If they are competent NHLers, they could all be under 5'11 as far as I'm concerned. This team is not strong in every area except for puck battles, and until they are, size and grit shouldn't be the relevant concerns.

Letang, Enstrom, Gionta, and Roy would be fine by me to ail this team's woes. Even if we don't have the pieces or desire to get even one of them. Size doesn't matter at this point: fielding a team of bona fide NHL players does.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
ElFossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Eberle + for McDonagh
This guy gets it

Old
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:

Ott
Neil
downie
stewart
simmonds
prust
hartnell
add Brad Marchand to the list.. He a multi point night last game but otherwise has been struggling all year.. BOS fans seem very willing to put him on trade proposals.. Judging by what we got in Perron... I think a guy like Bollan would be awesome in our top 9.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Potter is better than what we give him credit for. But he still isn't an NHL regular on a good team.

Fingers crossed that Marincin takes this opportunity and runs with it.
Exactly. Potter would be a mediocre 6th option on the bottom 1/3 of the teams in the league, a good value #7 on the middle 1/3rd, and a great value. 8th option on a team like Chicago or St. Louis.

Filling in on the bottom pairing is fine, 2nd pairing is pushing it but for jus one game, I'm okay with it.

I really don't think they should be benching Peaches and Belov together though. Certainly both have been bad of late (any possible correlation between Petry's play and his partner's departure though? I think so), but they're still arguably The team's most skilled and valuable dmen. I would've benched the rookie tonight and told Petry that if he doesn't have one of his best games of the year, he's out the next game and take it from there.

But Eakins seems intent on losing to make a point. I don't think that is ever acceptable.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Exactly. Potter would be a mediocre 6th option on the bottom 1/3 of the teams in the league, a good value #7 on the middle 1/3rd, and a great value. 8th option on a team like Chicago or St. Louis.

Filling in on the bottom pairing is fine, 2nd pairing is pushing it but for jus one game, I'm okay with it.

I really don't think they should be benching Peaches and Belov together though. Certainly both have been bad of late (any possible correlation between Petry's play and his partner's departure though? I think so), but they're still arguably The team's most skilled and valuable dmen. I would've benched the rookie tonight and told Petry that if he doesn't have one of his best games of the year, he's out the next game and take it from there.

But Eakins seems intent on losing to make a point. I don't think that is ever acceptable.
Potter is a right handed Grebeshkov with less hockey sense and less skill. He doesn't make "glaring mistakes", but he's a high end AHL on All Teams in the league.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
CB420

Quote:

Ott
Neil
downie
stewart
simmonds
prust
hartnell
My Choice would definately be Wayne Simmonds and Chris Stewart.

Not a great start for Stewart this season, Stats wise, looking in from afar...11 points in 26 GP.

Hes playing third line minutes on that Blues team. Derek Roy must have taken some PP Mins away from him with his acquisition in the off-season.

Stewart 214 PTS in 345 Career GP

Simmonds 186 PTS in 395 GP

Very similar numbers.

Simmonds cap hit of $3.975M over the next 6 years. (Including this year)
Stewart cap hit of $4.150M over the next 2 years. (Including this year)

So just over $8M cap hit combined for both of them next season...

With Jones, Smyth and Hemsky UFAs next season, that would free up some coin, yet, RNH's $6M contract kicks in 2014/2015' and we still would still hypothetically need to sign a goalie, presuming we don't resign Bryzgalov.

Then there would be question of who we could dangle to acquire theese aformentioned forwards.

Gagner according to capgeek has a NMC...BUT only for the 2014/15' season, so we could theoretically trade him at the draft? Or this trade deadline perhaps, I didn't know that untill now. Assuming Paul Holmgren would be interested in Ganger is another question mark, and would leave us even thinner down the middle.

MacT im sure already made efforts to inquire about Stewart, the Blues decided to trade Perron instead of Stewart which says something, maybe MacT originally asked for him, who knows. Would love to see him here though. Exactly the type of forward we need.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
My Choice would definately be Wayne Simmonds and Chris Stewart.

Not a great start for Stewart this season, Stats wise, looking in from afar...11 points in 26 GP.

Hes playing third line minutes on that Blues team. Derek Roy must have taken some PP Mins away from him with his acquisition in the off-season.

Stewart 214 PTS in 345 Career GP

Simmonds 186 PTS in 395 GP

Very similar numbers.

Simmonds cap hit of $3.975M over the next 6 years. (Including this year)
Stewart cap hit of $4.150M over the next 2 years. (Including this year)

So just over $8M cap hit combined for both of them next season...

With Jones, Smyth and Hemsky UFAs next season, that would free up some coin, yet, RNH's $6M contract kicks in 2014/2015' and we still would still hypothetically need to sign a goalie, presuming we don't resign Bryzgalov.

Then there would be question of who we could dangle to acquire theese aformentioned forwards.

Gagner according to capgeek has a NMC...BUT only for the 2014/15' season, so we could theoretically trade him at the draft? Or this trade deadline perhaps, I didn't know that untill now. Assuming Paul Holmgren would be interested in Ganger is another question mark, and would leave us even thinner down the middle.

MacT im sure already made efforts to inquire about Stewart, the Blues decided to trade Perron instead of Stewart which says something, maybe MacT originally asked for him, who knows. Would love to see him here though. Exactly the type of forward we need.
its not just about point production though, i purposely listed the guys i did because they are all capable fo playing in your top 6, top 9 for sure. the other piece they bring that no one on our team does is when someone runs over our goalie, they are regulating the ice. one thing i miss about souray was how he could put up points but when it was time for the games to get regulated he would fight anyone and set the tone. we do not have that.

Old
12-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Matheson is suggesting these defensemen are available:

- Kyle Quincey
- Tim Gleason
- Dmitri Kulikov
- David Rundblad

Old
12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

- Kyle Quincey - Would be garbage on the Oilers
- Tim Gleason - 4M for a LH #4-5 D.. no thanks. Ference and N. Schultz are more than enough right now.
- Dmitri Kulikov - If the price is right
- David Rundblad - What has he done?

Old
12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Would anyone do Gagner for Phaneuf signed to an extension if Leafs get desperate for center depth?

Old
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

- Kyle Quincey
- Tim Gleason
- Dmitri Kulikov
- David Rundblad
Only guy I'd fancy is Rundblad.

We don't need Kulikov. He's a J. Schultz with less effort and more defensive zone mistakes.

What we really need is PK Subban. I'd trade Hall + 2014 1st for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan
Would anyone do Gagner for Phaneuf signed to an extension if Leafs get desperate for center depth?
Well no doubt. Toronto wouldn't even consider that. Phaneuf's value is sky high right now (assuming he doesn't get signed to some ludicrous deal). Gagner's value is almost completely nil right now.

Closed Thread