HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Slovenia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
01-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Slycer

vCash: 500
Nope. Colour of Slovenia. Just because the provinces have so many problems with Ljubljana that doesn't mean that green isn't the national colour.

Slycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:00 AM
likid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
Nope. Colour of Slovenia. Just because the provinces have so many problems with Ljubljana that doesn't mean that green isn't the national colour.
Well, you confirmed with this post everything what I wrote before...

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Slycer

Well not everything is a Ljubljana conspiracy.

Old
01-08-2014, 03:50 AM
nki

Quote:
It's the national color because a marketing team said so. That's the sad fact purely because they're aiming for the nature/eco/environment friendly consumers. Other than that it's not in the flag and has no historical significance that I am aware of. It's a cheap marketing gimmick.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:24 AM
Slycer

As if there wasnt a "marketing team" that made up the colours for our present flag. A marketing team in russia. As a young nation Slovenia should have reinvented itself decades ago and not maintain this post-Yugo mentality. The current flag is crap, makes us look like a russian republic.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:41 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamo86 View Post
And you know this because you know every player of Slovenian NT right ?

Dont know what Denmark, Belarus (or even Ukraine) had on that Olympic tournament that they were considered such big favourites. Funny thing is that Slovenia actually dominated and has qualified rather easily.

Kudos to Slovenia for Qaulifying on Danish Ice. But to say you dominated is a bit subjective, no?
And Denmark were considered favourties for two reasons. 1 we were on homeice. 2 we do have a better team on paper, even without NHL'ers imo. Underdogs do win sometimes.

Slovenia qualified there is no more too it. DK failed and played severly below par. Even without our NA players, we should be on par/Slightlybetter than SLO.

But Denmark underestimated the whole tourney and was badly coached at that tourney. No excuse, but let's npt get ahead of ourselves here. As some state, Denmark's team is far better had it been full. We are cursed by our success.

But I will not take this away from SLO. you played a great qual tourney, and have a great coach in Kopitar. He really did his homework before coming to Denmark. He really had us figured out, and your team played a great team game.

Hapily for me I am also Canadian, so at least I have someone to cheer for. It is worse for my Danish brethren, they are devastated. Especially with the way some of our NA players are doing atm.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 01-08-2014 at 06:48 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:47 AM
BMann

Any sign of these Slovenian jersey's yet ? I'm curious to see if they will feature a mountain on them.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
boris4c

Quote:
As if there wasnt a "marketing team" that made up the colours for our present flag. A marketing team in russia. As a young nation Slovenia should have reinvented itself decades ago and not maintain this post-Yugo mentality. The current flag is crap, makes us look like a russian republic.
I always thought the colour green was associated with Olimpija Ljubljana and that it was chosen as the national colour for that reason, but I was stunned when I read that green was chosen simply because of the forests that cover the Slovenian territory. But nonetheless, I wouldn't mind seeing the hockey team switch to green like all the other national teams, despite any symbolic tradition that might be associated with the red, blue and white.

Australia and Italy are some other countries that don't use their flag colours for their sports teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMann View Post
Any sign of these Slovenian jersey's yet ? I'm curious to see if they will feature a mountain on them.
You can count on seeing a mountain.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:31 AM
likid

You can expect something like this (this is our volleyball NT) with mountain on a chest

Last edited by likid: 01-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.
likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
zamo86*

Quote:
Green is the national colour of Slovenia. It just is. So if the team needs to blend in with the rest of the teams that are going to Sochi, people are just gonna have to live with it.
No its not and please dont try to mislead our international friends with that bs

zamo86* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
zamo86*

Quote:
WTF are you talking about, what marketing team? This tricolor flag officially represents Slovene nation since the early 19th century. The colours derives from the flag of the Duchy of Carniola which existed for houndred of years before 1918. The borders of the duchy are fully encompassed within the borders of present day Slovenia (the only such case, with the population in the duchy allways being around 90% or over Slovene).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Carniola

And spare us with that "flag is crap" peasant mentality and be PROUD of the national colours.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
zamo86*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
I always thought the colour green was associated with Olimpija Ljubljana and that it was chosen as the national colour for that reason, but I was stunned when I read that green was chosen simply because of the forests that cover the Slovenian territory. But nonetheless, I wouldn't mind seeing the hockey team switch to green like all the other national teams, despite any symbolic tradition that might be associated with the red, blue and white.

Australia and Italy are some other countries that don't use their flag colours for their sports teams.
That is another weak argument by the "green lobbyist"... that the national colour is green (and its not) because Slovenia is a forrested country (like forrests arent green in Austria or Italy). After independence in 1991 peasants in Ljubljana, where majority of sports federation in Slovenia has their offices, were at first arguing that they need to change colours (the football national team played in white-blue-red until 1994 in fact) to differentiate from the republics of the former Yugoslavia "which are playing in the same colours". Now, when primary Croatian colours are white-red chessboard, Serbian, Macedonian, Montenegrin is red... they lost that argument and started dreaming about grass and trees

An interesting fact: Slovenian national football team played in white-blue-red for ages (as non-FIFA recognized and as FIFA recognized) up until 1994 when the colours where unilaterally changed to white and green. The Slovenian FA felt the pressure of the public to change the colours back to national colours (all the time this was addressed in the public all the time and they had virtually 0 jersey sales) and in about 2008 they finally decided to go back to the national colours (white-blue and maybe shades of red). However, about a year later Ljubljana mayor and (currently) one of the main political figures in the country installed his lawyer at the head of Slovenian FA and they somewhat reverted the decision, though the football NT now plays mostly in white and blue (though its not the flag colour blue but rather a smurf ligth blue) and shades of green. Apart from giving away jerseys for free they still dont have a lot of sales

i think the only NT in Slovenia that had white and green colours since 1991 is basketball team.

PS: Australia and Italy in fact play in their national colours (Germany, Netherlands etc. are doing the same, even though most of the mentioned teams doesnt have the same colours in their national flags). Italy plays in the colours of their royal family, and Australia does the same (+ that national flower is in the same colours). In fact, as you probably now, the Russians started playing in the colours of Romanovs fairly recently

Last edited by zamo86*: 01-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 01:34 PM
zamo86*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Kudos to Slovenia for Qaulifying on Danish Ice. But to say you dominated is a bit subjective, no?
And Denmark were considered favourties for two reasons. 1 we were on homeice. 2 we do have a better team on paper, even without NHL'ers imo. Underdogs do win sometimes.
The dominating part I meant as, they have qualified fairly easily as Belarussians and Danes were not doing well against Slovenia and (I speak for myself) watching those games it felt like they wont be able to beat Slovenia even if they played for two days. I am not saying that Slovenia is ahead of Denmark or whatever

Old
01-08-2014, 01:41 PM
boris4c

@zamo86

Interesting post about the national colours.

I thought these were the latest football kits, with quite a lot of green. Personally I love those colours but I can understand the frustration coming from the Slovenians who don't want to use these colours.

Do you have a picture of the Slovenian football team in their red, blue and white kits?

Old
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
zamo86*

Here is the link for jersey evolution of the football team since 1991:
http://www.siol.net/sportal/nogomet/...ezentance.aspx

The ones you have posted are the newest.

This ones were proposed when it was discussed to revert the colours back to the national white-blue-red, before the intallement of the oligarh lawyer currently at the head of Slovenian FA (if the blue would be the shade of SLO flag blue, I think they would look amazin.

IMO the main reason of changing the colours from the national ones to green, yellowgreen or whatever is the peasant minority mentality ("we need to be recognizable" - like ppl in US or France will recognize Slovenia regardless of its colours

Last edited by zamo86*: 01-08-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
boris4c

Great link, feels great to see Zlatko Zahovic again. I had no idea Slovenia started off with the flag colours right after independence until 1994.

Those jerseys you posted look great as well.

I suppose the athletes at the OG will be wearing green, at the opening ceremony and the various competitions.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
zamo86*

Actually, Slovenia national football team existed prior to 1991 as well (like Basque NT or Catalonia NT today) and they have played in the same colours as the NT until 1994.

Until this OG the ice hockey team was the only one in team sports that has played in white-blue-red combination and has never changed it in its history. Until now.. (they say they will revert the colours back to the national white-blue-red after the Olympics but I have a feeling that it wont happen - probably another cash out by the SLO Olympic Committee, you never know

They will probably wear something fugly like this at the opening ceremony

Last edited by zamo86*: 01-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Nizar

Quote:
Actually, Slovenia national football team existed prior to 1991 as well (like Basque NT or Catalonia NT today) and they have played in the same colours as the NT until 1994.

Until this OG the ice hockey team was the only one in team sports that has played in white-blue-red combination and has never changed it in its history. Until now.. (they say they will revert the colours back to the national white-blue-red after the Olympics but I have a feeling that it wont happen - probably another cash out by the SLO Olympic Committee, you never know

They will probably wear something fugly like this at the opening ceremony

the lamest thing is that hockey associations logs can not be used. Our Lynx is one of the best.

Nizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Nizar

http://twitter.com/LukaGracnar/statu...761344/photo/1

Gracnar's hockey mask

Nizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Slycer

Mislead? I won't mislead. Our international friends need to know that people like you, from Maribor, hate our national colour (green) because your football rival Olimpija wears the same colours. Jesenice fans object for.pretty much the same reason. Helping our international friends understand your hatred.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Slycer

Quote:
WTF are you talking about, what marketing team? This tricolor flag officially represents Slovene nation since the early 19th century. The colours derives from the flag of the Duchy of Carniola which existed for houndred of years before 1918. The borders of the duchy are fully encompassed within the borders of present day Slovenia (the only such case, with the population in the duchy allways being around 90% or over Slovene).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Carniola

And spare us with that "flag is crap" peasant mentality and be PROUD of the national colours.
The flag was chosen in 1848 with the idea that Slavic countries need to stick together. That's why we pretty much adopted the Russian flag. Read up on it a little bit more, knowledge is power.

Old
01-08-2014, 04:08 PM
zamo86*

As said before by someone, green is a marketing stunt (prior to 91 it was "z dežele" and in recent years "i feel slovenia" and thats all it is..

PS: the shade of the "national colour" changes every time someone new starts working in the Slovenia tourist board and decides to change its marketing programme

And please dont look for links and try to act smart.. you have showed what you know with your inteligent comments prior.. enough said and please do stop with the misleading of foreigners (if you live in Slovenia you know that green is not considered as a national colour so stop with the bs - every Slovenian on this board says its not the national colour, you are the only one who is claiming that it is ..do you think someone will buy this ) I mean, the main "argument" why this is supposed to be the national colour is because of green forrest (enough said)..though I wont bother to argue with you #wouldchangehistorytobe"recognizable" #clueless #peasantmentality #closed .

Gračnar's Olympic goalie helmet in national colours:

Old
01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

vCash: 1050
I like the green, but green doesn't go well with blue at all, unless it's a couple of green lines, which are bordering white, not blue.

Way too much green on those Olympic uniforms or whatever you call them. They are no match in ugliness when compared to ours, though.

Also, I think it's only natural for a country to try to change its identity. I know that you guys have close ties with Italy. Latvia/Estonia have close ties with the Nordic countries and some people are suggesting to change the national flag to a one with a Nordic cross, etc.

It's not the 19th century anymore, so it kind of makes sense to cut all the Pan-Slavic nationalist stuff. But that's just me.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Slycer

Hashtags? Last time I checked this isn't twitter.

And I'm not arguing, just stating facts. But you can run away from a discussion all you want.

Old
01-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Green is the national colour of Slovenia. It just is. So if the team needs to blend in with the rest of the teams that are going to Sochi, people are just gonna have to live with it.

And Gasper has NO place on the roster. Have plenty of better guys, should one get injured.
Wasn't Gasper on the Qualifying team though? Did he lose his spot to his brother? I just remember the two of them playing together during the lockout and it seemed like they had great chemistry. So I figured with Dad as coach, it would be a no brainer that he was there. Of course, I only see the bits and pieces of him, as I live in Canada. So he is much like Keith or Brent Gretzky, not even close to the talent of their brother?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote