HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar another Antropov?

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 12:29 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Kopitar another Antropov?

It hit me yesterday. Could Kopitar be another Antropov?

Big, rangy, skilled, comes from a country that's produced few (make that none) NHLers before, went high in the draft year, not the fastest skater... it describes both.

I am praying we pick someone else.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:31 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I don't want Kopitar and to read that, oh man do I dont want him

Old
07-28-2005, 12:36 AM
ATG

Antropov owns the Canadians...

Old
07-28-2005, 12:38 AM
HabsBaby18*

Nah dont worry, Savard KNOWS how to draft well he wont make the mistake that THEY did haha !

Old
07-28-2005, 12:41 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I don't want Kopitar nor Pouliot.Brule or Ryan...please.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Habs13

At the end of the day, barring a trade, we'll have a pick between two players that weren't selected by the teams ahead of us. I'm guessing we'll be picking between Ryan and Kopitar as I don't see Johnson, Brule or Poillot availible at 5th.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:44 AM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
At the end of the day, barring a trade, we'll have a pick between two players that weren't selected by the teams ahead of us. I'm guessing we'll be picking between Ryan and Kopitar as I don't see Johnson, Brule or Poillot availible at 5th.
Seriously I dont care who we will draft I know it will be an excellent pick that we weren't suppose to have in a normal NHL year. So no dissapointment for me

Old
07-28-2005, 12:46 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Nah dont worry, Savard KNOWS how to draft well he wont make the mistake that THEY did haha !
Yeah except Savard isn't making the pick. He doesn't scout amateurs anymore. He takescare of Hamilton and scouts Pros. It's Timmins' show (the guy who drafted an enigmatic AK ahead of Carter, Parise and Getzlaff). He may go for the enigmatic European again-I'm afraid.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Traitor8

how is Parise and Getzlaf ahead of Kostitsyn at this point? Wait until they all hit the NHL then come talk, I still feel Kostitsyn is going to be the best out of all of them and Yes Carter is good but I think he is just being a bit overhyped..just a bit since he was on Canada's best jr team ever.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:47 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
how is Parise and Getzlaf ahead of Kostitsyn at this point? Wait until they all hit the NHL then come talk, I still feel Kostitsyn is going to be the best out of all of them and Yes Carter is good but I think he is just being a bit overhyped..just a bit since he was on Canada's best jr team ever.
Carter led the AHL Playoffs in scoring as a 19 year old straight out of a season in junior. That's insane. An you say he' s overhyped because of a December tournament?

Getzlaff is NHL bound straight out of junior.

Although I admit AK has higher potential, Parise completely upstaged Kostitsyn in their rookie AHL season. The Rat made the All-Star game and made the all-rookie team. AK was never considered by anyone.

Kostitsyn struggled in his 1st year in NA (unlike Perezhogin).

Old
07-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Traitor8

Perezhogin struggled bigtime in the begining of his first NA season. Wait for Kostitsyn, sure he may need a bit more time to adjust but he's going to be a good player.

Sure Carter is good but he also had Richards on this team, let's see what they all do at the NHL level..this draft was what in 2003?? None of them have played NHL games yet and you say this guy is better then this guy based on what ? AHL? I think Jason Ward is better then Parise based on AHL ..lol ..you get my point..

Timmins is a great scout and people are saying ..geez..Timmins is going to decide this pick..look who he got us in 2003??! geez! well yes look at who he got us in 2003...arguably the most talented player in the whole draft that was skipped upon because of "health issues" that was cleared up by Montreal Team Doctors.

Give 2-3 yrs and tell me who is better then. There is also a **** load of teams that passed up on Parise and Getzlaf

Old
07-28-2005, 02:49 AM
prevail

It's not good to compare Carter, Getzlaf and Parise to Kostistyn, Andrei is European, he had to adjust to a lot more than those 3 this season, hopefully next yr he'll be better but don't shut him out yet

Old
07-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Kopilar is too high risk for 5th overall. We just haven't seen enough of him compared to the others.

I think there is a decent we will trade up and select either Johnson or Brule

Old
07-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Kopilar is too high risk for 5th overall. We just haven't seen enough of him compared to the others.

I think there is a decent we will trade up and select either Johnson or Brule
You'll never draft a European with that attitude. Kopitar has actually had a fair bit of exposure, has he not? Sure, we as posters haven't seen a whole lot of him, but European scouts must have seen a fair bit of him. He played in Sweeden last year, you know their leagues are scouted. He's also on Bergfors team I think, so you know scouts are going to watch a couple games, at least. He's also gotten a fair bit of playing time at international tournaments, which is where most posters have seen him play.

He's relatively unknown stuff to North American fans, but I bet the habs scouting department have a pretty good idea of what the kid is about.

Old
07-28-2005, 05:04 AM
fred2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
He's relatively unknown stuff to North American fans, but I bet the habs scouting department have a pretty good idea of what the kid is about.
You're right. And don't forget, Habs had keep all is scouting staff during the lock out.

I don't think Kopitar will be an other Antropov. He have more natural goal-scoring ability, hockey sens and creativity. I be really happy if habs pick him. My second choice is Ryan but he'll not be available at #5, depend of carolina... my guest! Two more days, longggg days...

Old
07-28-2005, 05:17 AM
prevail

I think I won't be able to sleep Friday night, are they doing it like every yr and only televising the 1st round?

Old
07-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Squeaky

I think so yeah, just the first round.

Old
07-28-2005, 06:54 AM
CGG

Not drafting a guy because he doesn't come from a "hockey country" makes absolutely no sense at all. So what, no one has ever made the NHL out of Slovenia. Where you come from makes no difference if you have the same talent level as everyone else. Kopitar played in Sweden last year, it's not like he played against a bunch of Slovenian guys who didn't know how to skate.

Owen Nolan is from Northern Ireland (okay, now he's a write-off, but he was good once upon a time). Didn't stop Quebec from picking him 1st overall. Rod Langway was born in Taiwan. Kolzig was the first German / born in South Africa to really do anything in the NHL. They all worked out fine.

Old
07-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Antropov owns the Canadians...
It's Canadiens and that's great. Too bad he has to play against 28 other teams.

Old
07-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Bob in Niagara

Kopitar definitely sounds good to me...he played in the world championships and did not look out of place, and he led the Swedish junior league and the world junior tournament in scoring, if I am not mistaken. He must have some amazing talent. I do not have any say in who the Habs end up taking, but it will be a good player, no doubt. I have full confidence in our management team.

Old
07-28-2005, 08:22 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Yeah except Savard isn't making the pick. He doesn't scout amateurs anymore. He takescare of Hamilton and scouts Pros. It's Timmins' show (the guy who drafted an enigmatic AK ahead of Carter, Parise and Getzlaff). He may go for the enigmatic European again-I'm afraid.
Savard , i am sure have scouted this year , because of the lock out .You can be sure that all the management of the team have full of tapes to watch .
And as someone said , Kost was in his first contact with the american game ( and society ) . Jarvis played him with 3 or 4 th lines a big part of the season , to teach him the defensive part of the game

Old
07-28-2005, 08:35 AM
eddy

After Johnson for me it's a tie bewteen Kopitar and Brule. Kopitar has huge upside and I think we have enough depth in our forward prospects to take a risk on him. Regardless I think it all just comes down to who's left between Brule, Kopitar, Ryan and Pouliot when we pick cause Crosby's gone and Johnson dropping that far is a longshot.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Season Ticket Holder

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Antropov at this stage. He's got time still to show more than he has. (And no, I'm not a Leafs fan.)

And remember, just cause we have a high pick doesn't mean that kid's going to step into our lineup any time soon. Could be anywhere from 2-5 years before we see him, and that would be pretty normal for a prospect. Anyone that expects our #5 pick to be an instant star needs to smack 'emselves in the face a few times. Whack! Whack!

I like Kopitar, and I also like Brule. We know Brule's a bit smaller but I don't care. He plays like an animal (according to scouting reports, I've never seen him) and that's an attitude I want on my team. And no, I don't worry about injuries to small guys -> tons of big guys get injured too. In fact, I'm not even sure smaller guys get injured more than bigger guys. I'd be interested in seeing a study on that though. Guys that play with the ferocity of Brule, big or small, do tend to get hurt more and wear out, but that's not always the case. Plenty of aggressive players have played 10+ years in the league, maintaining a fairly intense pace. It's not as much the size of the body but how well built it is on the inside.

STH

Old
07-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Physical HABuse

I definitely don't want an Antropov. A top 5 pick could and should be a very good to excellent hockey player. Antropov is just good. As for Carter, he isn't overhyped....he's solid. He's got size and can score. Habs missed the boat on that one. Parise is also solid. That's a little guy that would have done well with the old NHL rules and can only do better if the game opens up. Getzlaf is solid....although maybe unspectacular.
Kostisyn is ok...enigmatic is a good word for him. I met and spoken with him, and can say that he really knew no English last summer. You know when someone who knows no english...says one word and it sounds funny....and then you both giggle over the fact that they even said that much.....that's pretty well how he was. So, it's pretty hard to pick up pointers not understanding anything without a translator. He's got talent.....but as far as evaluation goes, this will be the year we can better evaluate him. He's still going to turn out to be a competent NHL'er.....just not sure yet about him being that superstar stolen at the 10-spot.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse
I definitely don't want an Antropov. A top 5 pick could and should be a very good to excellent hockey player. Antropov is just good.
I think the key here is that a top 5 pick COULD be a very good to excellent hockey player. If we go back through the drafts (since the beginning of time) I think we'd find a ton of top 5 picks that were below good (from average to utter garbage at the NHL level).

Even #1 picks (excluding some like Lemieux, perhaps Crosby) are crapshoots. Evaluating 17 and 18 year olds and determining their status in the NHL is an extremely tough gig.

If the #5 pick ended up being good, I'd take it. Depends on your definition of good, of course; but any draft pick that makes it to the NHL and contributes for more than 20 minutes is a successful draft pick in my books (although if it's a top 5 pick and they're a 4th liner that's disappointing; although a top 5 pick that turns into a great 3rd liner with captain-like character that helps lead a team to the Cup isn't a disappointment)

STH

Closed Thread