Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Holland

Old
12-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Theridion

vCash: 500
Ha. Im not sure how people count units of time.

Perrault our 2c? Bonino? Rakell?

Our 2C is the guy playing in our lineup tomorrow on the second line.
It might not be the same guy a week later, by the end of the year, or a year down the road.

We have 2 long term players who are our "something" on this team, and thats Getz and Perry.

Everyone else is tradeable or able to walk or could be replaced.

I am not saying Holland cant be a 2c one day. He could be. Or a 1c. Or the best player in the league. Or go back to the ahl tomorrow.

Id rather give Bonino and Perrault a healthy shot on this squad this year, take the holland trade return, look at Rakell later and free agency or trades this offseason.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Ha. Im not sure how people count units of time.

Perrault our 2c? Bonino? Rakell?

Our 2C is the guy playing in our lineup tomorrow on the second line.
It might not be the same guy a week later, by the end of the year, or a year down the road.

We have 2 long term players who are our "something" on this team, and thats Getz and Perry.

Everyone else is tradeable or able to walk or could be replaced.

I am not saying Holland cant be a 2c one day. He could be. Or a 1c. Or the best player in the league. Or go back to the ahl tomorrow.

Id rather give Bonino and Perrault a healthy shot on this squad this year, take the holland trade return, look at Rakell later and free agency or trades this offseason.
What's your point?

Snoop Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Ducks666 View Post
What's your point?
People were posting that they didnt think perrault was the ducks 2c answer.

I was pointing out whoever plays that slot IS the 2c

As far as "omg 2c 4 eva!" We havent really found that long term kinda solution. Too much turnover, injuries and tryouts.

And with so many guys getting chances, poor holland was #'d out of a chance. And thats good cuz i would rather see bonino, perrault get the icetime.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Whether Perreault's the long term answer at 2C or not, I don't think that affected Holland a whole hell of a lot. It was becoming more apparent that he wasn't going to beat out Bonino for the job, and despite more experience he was about to fall behind Rakell as well. His only future in this org. probably would've been on the wing, where there's a lot more bodies to compete with.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:14 AM
AngelDuck

I think you missed my point. My point is that we gave up on a potential 2C solution without knowing that we have a legit 2C. I disagree with that strategy.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
People were posting that they didnt think perrault was the ducks 2c answer.

I was pointing out whoever plays that slot IS the 2c
Obviously the guy playing center on the second line is the current second line center, but that doesn't mean we think he should be, and that's what we're talking about.

Snoop Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
mighty all the way

Holland's return is perfect for a player who couldn't even crack our weak center lineup the last three seasons and when he is up here He hardly got any ice time. I would like a2nd but I still think we won that trade by getting rid of staubitz and getting a 3rd.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 12:11 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Just because Holland is having a good stretch with Toronto right now doesn't change the fact that he was going nowhere with us. Rakell is a better prospect than him and should fill the potential opening that Koivu might leave. Holland may very well go on to have a strong career with Toronto but he wasn't going to here. This is still an excellent trade for us especially since it's looking good that that pick should end up being a second rounder.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I think you missed my point. My point is that we gave up on a potential 2C solution without knowing that we have a legit 2C. I disagree with that strategy.
Not really. He was the least likely of all the candidates in this org. to grow into that player, the safe money was that his value would only go down from now. It had become apparent he was highly unlikely to do it, with a distinct possibility he gets passed on the depth chart by Karlsson next year(and possibly one of those firsts being another center), getting something in return for him wasn't a bad play.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Fogelhund

Leafs fan here, and I am quite happy with Holland so far, though it really is far too early to judge. I hope Blacker goes on to have a successful career, and is a solid NHL player for you (he's had a nice start on your AHL team). Like Holland in your system, Blacker was bypassed by others and became expendable. He wasn't going to succeed in our system, but hopefully he does in yours. Same with Holland, who wasn't going to succeed in your system, but might here.

If both players go on to have NHL careers, it will be one of those trades that benefits both squads, looking to fulfil needs, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Trades are always better when both sides win.

Last edited by Fogelhund: 12-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Leafs fan here, and I am quite happy with Holland so far, though it really is far too early to judge. I hope Blacker goes on to have a successful career, and is a solid NHL player for you (he's had a nice start on your AHL team). Like Holland in your system, Blacker was bypassed by others and became expendable. He wasn't going to succeed in our system, but hopefully he does in yours. Same with Holland, who wasn't going to succeed in your system, but might here.

If both players go on to have NHL careers, it will be one of those trades that benefits both squads, looking to fulfil needs, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Trades are always better when both sides win.
To be honest, it's still a long, long way for Blacker. It sounds like he looked neat for Norfolk, but he un-/fortunately (depending on the angle) doesn't have the open lane that Holland has with the Leafs due to the injuries. When Souray/Sbisa come back from their injuries, it's going to be even further away for him, and there's a kid like Theodore coming up that will probably jump ahead of him when he goes pro, as well. While there's still hope for him (just looking at what paths development can take with our own Ben Lovejoy...), it's a long shot he makes a difference here. The real value could be the pick. If it becomes a 2nd, the Ducks got great value, which is really all you can ask for in that situation. Our scouting staff has earned their money on 2nd round selections alone (Gibson, DSP, Karlsson, hopefully Sörensen, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone...), so there's definite hope for that one to be useful.

But yeah, it's good to see Holland do well. He always seemed like a good, down-to-earth kid. With the Lupul-trade reviews I'm sure many Ducks fans like me are guilty of hoping he doesn't kill it too badly so that we get to hear too much about it from Leafland, but I do hope he'll be a good player for you.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
To be honest, it's still a long, long way for Blacker. It sounds like he looked neat for Norfolk, but he un-/fortunately (depending on the angle) doesn't have the open lane that Holland has with the Leafs due to the injuries. When Souray/Sbisa come back from their injuries, it's going to be even further away for him, and there's a kid like Theodore coming up that will probably jump ahead of him when he goes pro, as well. While there's still hope for him (just looking at what paths development can take with our own Ben Lovejoy...), it's a long shot he makes a difference here. The real value could be the pick. If it becomes a 2nd, the Ducks got great value, which is really all you can ask for in that situation. Our scouting staff has earned their money on 2nd round selections alone (Gibson, DSP, Karlsson, hopefully Sörensen, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone...), so there's definite hope for that one to be useful.

But yeah, it's good to see Holland do well. He always seemed like a good, down-to-earth kid. With the Lupul-trade reviews I'm sure many Ducks fans like me are guilty of hoping he doesn't kill it too badly so that we get to hear too much about it from Leafland, but I do hope he'll be a good player for you.
This is spot on. Blacker is a little buried in the depth chart right now which has only gotten worse with Beauch being healthy. Currently the depth chart looks like this when healthy:

Fowler
Beauchemin
Allen
Lovejoy
Lindholm
Souray
Sbisa
Fistric
Vatanen
Grant
Yonkman
Blacker/Clark

I threw Clark in there since he's been around a while and has a couple games under his belt. But he appears to be in the rearview mirror. But I think that illustrates that he's a ways from seeing game action this year or next.

I maintain the notion that Blacker was a throw in. The draft pick was the asset we needed. I think Blacker was a means to lessen the blow in case that pick remains a third. It would be nice if Blacker ends up cracking the lineup in a year or two but I'm not hopeful. I wish him luck but he's low on the totem pole.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
We are glad Holland is doing well not only due to the possible second round draft selection, but also because he seems like a really good guy. He just never seemed to be able to grasp the opportunities given to him in Anaheim.

He is getting a nice opportunity to perform in Toronto...seems like he is making the most of it.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
We are glad Holland is doing well not only due to the possible second round draft selection, but also because he seems like a really good guy. He just never seemed to be able to grasp the opportunities given to him in Anaheim.

He is getting a nice opportunity to perform in Toronto...seems like he is making the most of it.
Holland had a great game, but I wouldn't exactly say he's doing well. Look at his TOI before the Chicago game.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Holland had a great game, but I wouldn't exactly say he's doing well. Look at his TOI before the Chicago game.
Despite the limited ice time (until recently), he is putting up pretty nice numbers for the Leafs.

He is earning the increased minutes.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
duxfan8

LOLOL Holland was not even playing in Toronto before all of the injuries. He got plenty of chances with us on the first line with the twins, second line with Teemu/Bobby and fourth line. He never did anything. You can't just keep waiting for players to click. You can't change your whole roster in order to find players he is compatible with. We waited as long as we could with him before his ELC expires. We tried as hard as we could have with Holland, but next year when he has to pass waivers we'll see how good teams really think he is.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
LOLOL Holland was not even playing in Toronto before all of the injuries.
Huh? He didn't get there before the injuries. That's part of the reason they got him in the first place.

Quote:
He got plenty of chances with us on the first line with the twins, second line with Teemu/Bobby and fourth line.
The first one isn't true, at all. The number of shifts he had with the twins on the wing could be counted on one hand. Not doubting that he had chances, he did, but we don't need to make them appear much different than they were.

Quote:
We waited as long as we could with him before his ELC expires. We tried as hard as we could have with Holland, but next year when he has to pass waivers we'll see how good teams really think he is.
That's kind of right. The waiver thing only really applied to him with our organisation, though. I don't think he will have to worry about waivers with the Leafs next year. Colborne was too good for waivers and got a pick back, and Holland already indicated more with the Leafs. Even if he wasn't making it with them in the long run, somebody would still give up a 3rd for him, no questions asked.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 02:06 PM
ericnut

Quote:
Despite the limited ice time (until recently), he is putting up pretty nice numbers for the Leafs.

He is earning the increased minutes.
Increased minutes, in what, one game? Look at his TOI: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...32014&view=log

5 of his 6 points have come in 2 games. He's not exactly lighting the lamp. In fact some Leafs fans have said he has looked lost at times.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Who cares if he is playin well? From the looks of it, he was going nowhere on the Ducks. He was traded for a good return.

If Holland blossoms then I will feel the same way i feel about Lupul. It most likely wouldnt have happened if the trade didnt happen.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Who cares if he is playin well? From the looks of it, he was going nowhere on the Ducks. He was traded for a good return.

If Holland blossoms then I will feel the same way i feel about Lupul. It most likely wouldnt have happened if the trade didnt happen.
I certainly agree...there is little chance that he would have made this kind of impact in Anaheim.

Honestly, I think Murray did a pretty good job on this particular return. In addition to the picks and Blacker, he also saved the Samuelli's some money by selling off the Staubitz one-way contract.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:00 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
I certainly agree...there is little chance that he would have made this kind of impact in Anaheim.

Honestly, I think Murray did a pretty good job on this particular return. In addition to the picks and Blacker, he also saved the Samuelli's some money by selling off the Staubitz one-way contract.
but then we also had to spend a pick to get tim jackman

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Paul4587

Holland was awesome against the Hawks, his issue isn't talent it's consistency.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 03:08 PM
ericnut

Quote:

Holland would be in the AHL if it wasn't for injuries. He had one good game. One. Quit acting like Holland has been a pleasant surprise.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Holland would be in the AHL if it wasn't for injuries. He had one good game. One. Quit acting like Holland has been a pleasant surprise.
Lol jeez man don't take this personally. I've watched a smattering of Leaf games since the trade and I've been generally impressed by his play. That's all.

Anyway, I wish him the best and hope he does well.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
but then we also had to spend a pick to get tim jackman
Tim Jackman has looked really solid for Anaheim and has added a much needed physical presence/fighting presence. At the price of a 6th round pick...hardly an exorbitant cost.

Last edited by Ducksforcup: 12-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.